Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

zenguitarman posted:

I felt Washington was a lot less strenuous than Mt Katahdin. Never did the AT (my sister did) but man it sounds like the last leg is a real bitch.

I live p close to mt Washington, nothing out there is all that difficult but people die of exhaustion or cold exposure a few times a year none the less. Also it’s “not that difficult” so it always attracts people without the slightest bit of gear or planning. That combined with the short daylight and cold snap nights most times of the year and ugh

ethanol fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I was wondering if having a kid would stop Alex Honnold from free soloing. Yeah nope

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Chrpno posted:

Oh gently caress this guy. "I'm on the mountain and I'm dying. I'm about to die. Oh look at me, death be upon me in about a minute. Oh guess what I'm not dead! BUY MY BOOK"

At least he could have the decency to die before writing his shill blog.

he lost me at the part where he said the sherpas were carrying heavier packs than him

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

New Hampshire kills people because they didn't appreciate just how rapidly weather can become extremely bad.

We have a saying in vt and nh…”don’t like the weather? Wait a few minutes”

Edit: and yeah the white mountains seem to kill 4-5 people or so a year because you can start a hike at 70 deg in the day and then the wonderful combo of jet stream wind exposure (even if it’s only like 6k ft mt Washington and the area have enough prominence to get world record breaking wind while the valleys below them are tame by comparison) and temperature swings down to 40s or lower has a particular effect on people who won’t pack so much as a jacket (don’t even ask me about people who started the day with light socks on and have nothing else).. also the fact the entire nh hikes are mostly under tree cover while also involving a lot of bouldering at times, oh yeah and it might have rained on those rocks making them slick as ice, (does it rain at Everest?). you also get no direct sunlight for larger portions of your trek and might be soaking wet. Assuming the sun didn’t already dip because it sets around 6 pm outside of peak summer and you beat your expected time right?

ethanol fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 7, 2023

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

yeah i can already say i climbed the tallest mountain the world. what are you gonna do? stop me?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Has this dude been posted here before? I can't figure out if he is the 9/11 truther of the mallory/irving summit controversy or maybe has some fair points

https://www.youtube.com/@michaeltracy2356

at the very least it's entertaining to hear his take on the north routes and launch into tirades against the much more famous conrad anker and ongoing national geographic search expeditions. He seems to think they intentionally misled people about mallory/irving's route for ??? reasons. Apparently to fit a narrative national geographic wants to sell. I think the bulk of his theory is that mallory's notes among other things suggest he was on a different, slightly lower route which bypasses the '2nd step'. That is the most technical part of the modern north route, which has a had permanent ladder on it since the 60/70s and would have been very hard to believe they would attempt it. So this alternate route maybe fits the timeline a bit better with them having died descending. honestly you would need a excel sheet to keep up with all of these dudes theories

Also youtuber did the north route himself a decade ago and seems somewhat knowledgeable about mountaineering and the history. yeah but him going on and on about the 1999 team desecrating mallory's body and destroying chances of finding summit rocks doesn't really hold water to me. Although I think he is right that national geographic should release the drone footage from their more recent 2019 expedition. Which if you watch the documentaries seems to have been otherwise a giant waste of time and somewhat illegally conducted.

2019 natl geo: Apparently they requested and were denied the extra time to search the mountain, so they agreed just to summit on the ordinary time frame of something like 12 hours. Obviously that was not the point of why this celebrity climb team is on the north route. So they didn't tell their sherpas what they were planning to do, just to keep up the charade of summiting only. So they spend all their energy and resources summiting, while being pelted by storms, then while decsending one team member unclips from the rope and leaves the route to search for irving, which obviously made the sherpas go ballistic watching this dude go off rope and off trail. Probably thinking all the western climbers have gone totally hypoxic or something. so in the end they spent about 20 total minutes searching on a search expedition. lol

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I think that Tracy is right on a lot of the facts. His narratives are more questionable.

He’s got to be insufferable for everyone he works with, or tries to work with.

Like, in the Green Boots video he uses the comparison of Semmelweis. And yeah Semmelweis was right in his thesis that doctors should wash their hands, but the reason that they didn’t listen to him lies Semmelweis’ flaws as in their own.

Tracy gets the story of Semmelweis wrong, and in doing so reveals some of Semmelweis’ character flaws in himself.

Yeah he's really over accusatory. I think after listening to other climbers on the subject, much from Thom Pollard's youtube interviews of a lot of search expedition members, that everybody seems pretty honest and open about it (including that it's all theoretical) while tracy sounds too unhinged. I definitely agree with pollard that they probably would have found summit rocks if they were there. They found things as little as half pencils in his pockets, rocks would have been obvious. I do think Mark Synott's maybe a little too convinced about the chinese having the camera story, I think a rumour like that probably would have more behind it than some pretty unreliable sources. But still even Mark is like 'yeah could easily be wrong'

Also with regard to Tracy's alternate route, when I look at that zig zag route myself it looks hard as gently caress, borderline suicidal. I'm not convinced at all they would be able to climb that without multiple scout days.

And I'd be pretty confident in assuming Natl Geo's drone footage, yes it would be nice to see them release it, but they've very likely peeled through it many many times themselves looking for stuff on the surface and there's nothing to see.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 28, 2023

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

isn't everybody else wrapping up and the climbing window is p much over?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

this is so pathetic but I can't look away

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

it seems unlikely hes so much as thought of needing a permit but I want to see some clips of him stumbling into base camp hacking up a lung and very loudly complaining about wifi or something while real climbers presumably are packing up from completed summit bids (he's showing up at the tail end of the season lol)

if anybody happens to see him interact with real climbers passing by on the trail please timestamp for me

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

Go to 7:52 in the link above for a real treat

yup that went about as well as I thought, people who planned their trip slowly piecing together how dumb he really is

HopperUK posted:

He's lying down and his heart rate is 115. That seems kinda high for sleeping.
he's possibly already in the depths of altitude sickness. t he people in the time stamp above were trying to warn him and saying they had trouble sleeping from altitude sickness at namcha and took an extra day to acclimatize there. when he got to the hotel he was coughing a ton and basically ready to collapse

ethanol fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 22, 2023

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

it seems the high wind warnings did not sway some against making attempts this weekend

https://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/australian-engineer-dies-at-balcony-area-everest-death-toll-reaches-10-two-still-missing

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

pretty sure he already knows he won't be climbing the real thing, but even if he were 100% committed the ropes are sounding likely to be taken down in the next few days

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiGkU_eXJa8

they gopro'd the first ski descent of k2. you can tell he's extremely rattled by the end

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

he seems like he kind of streamer who would lie / embellish stuff to get views such as continuing to name his stream 'climbing mt Everest' when hes not on the mountain and not going to climb it

however full length videos of the trek are hard so it's interesting to see the region

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

It doesn't seem the two recently missing climbers are coming back down. Counting them, 2023 is tied for 3rd deadliest year on Everest at 13

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

They found one of the missing climbers alive. A no o2’r. Unfortunately the climber is described as frostbiten and only partially responsive. Below the Hillary step. The team that found him did nit have the ability to bring him down. A team of sherpas headed up to attempt to save him but it’s already been hours since that update

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

there's a helicopter scheduled to bring down the missing climbers if found, maybe ice can hop in with them. meanwhile explain to them he 'just wanted to see base camp'.

im sure the base camp people would love a self obsessed and altitude sick streamer showing up right now with all the chaos that's happening this week

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

nosebleeds are a common symptom of the least serious form of altitude sickness. It doesn't mean you have HACE/HAPE

Edit:
Crack team is still climbing to rescue the guy below the step. Through the night apparently?
Source:
https://explorersweb.com/everest-rescuers-hurry-suhajda-szilard/

Interest quote in it from a Sherpa

“This was not the year to try Everest without oxygen,” said Mingma G. “It was extremely cold. You can’t even imagine how many clients and sherpas have suffered from frostbite this season, and there were too many rescues.”

ethanol fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 26, 2023

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

That guy's up by the Hillary Step? Very near the summit. This is an unprecedented rescue attempt? You always hear above 8,000 meters people have to be left because the rescuers would die in the attempt.

They flew them up to camp 2 from base camp and started from there apparently. These guys were already rescuing people last week. Seems they want a challenge? I dunno. It's definitely risky

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

sadly the climber at the step was not found again

https://explorersweb.com/rescuers-cant-find-suhajda-szilard-everest/

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Kamrat posted:

gently caress, that's 13 people dead so far, is the climbing season over or are people still going up?

Not many updates coming out right now. I think it might be 14 or 15, but I'm not sure. There's been talk of closing the mountain for days. The window was apparently extended because of good weather reports. then some of those people needed rescuing. There's been conflicting info saying the wind reports are inaccurate and have actually been faster on the mountain. I don't know what is true about that. There was another climber being brought down from camp 4 with snow blindness at the same time they were looking for Szilard. I wouldn't be surprised if the ropes were brought down with the rescue team and the mountain closed but no word on it yet.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

https://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2023/05/30/everest-2023-an-end-to-a-tough-season/

good article

tl;dr this season was a complete shitshow

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

I can see a regulatory scheme where you have to do a less-busy Nepali summit or three to get your Everest permit and it ends up helping the overall Nepali mountain economy while lowering Everest traffic. The tourist climbers will be paying for guides and porters on the slightly lower peaks as well, and people would get to find out their body isn't capable of Himalayan altitudes well before they experience Everest continuation bias.

I heard they tried to implement this exact thing before. Not sure how far it got, if it got past basic planning or whatever. people were pissed that it had to be a Nepal mountain so was more about profit than climbing experience

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Chaosfeather posted:

Wait was that the guy a few days ago "Below the Hillary Step" that some people saw, reported it back at camp, and then they looked out and couldn't find him? Or is this the other climber that was recently lost? Or someone else completely?

different climber. the guy at the step is absolutely gone. (was an accomplished hungarian climber doing a no o2 attempt named szilard)

the article I linked mentioned multiple rescues going on every single day.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 1, 2023

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

so somebody finally had the balls to make a deep sea submersible out of carbon fiber eh? my hats off to them

somebody should alert the media that when it imploded it shattered into a million pieces instead of going on with the crushed tin can visual

https://oceangate.com/news-and-media/blog/2019-0221-why-titan-is-not-classed.html

quote:

OceanGate’s submersibles are the only known vessels to use real-time (RTM) hull health monitoring. With this RTM system, we can determine if the hull is compromised well before situations become life-threatening, and safely return to the surface. This innovative safety system is not currently covered by any classing agency.

No other submersible currently utilizes real-time monitoring to monitor hull health during a dive. We want to know why. Classed subs are only required to undergo depth validation every three years, whereas our RTM system validates the integrity of the hull on each and every dive.

what is the active hull health monitoring system? a couple of strain gauges slapped on the thing? love a company that hand waives doing standardized tests in favor of their 'better' system, (but won't tell you what it is)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

18 strain gages, yeah.

calling it now, death by fatigued composite

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I feel like military sub casualties should count a little bit

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

2023 footage of hillary step

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs7PaqZZFcM

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

That doesn't look like Everest. The sun is on the wrong side for a morning summit, the ridge doesn't have the path cut to the left like that (and the image isn't flipped because the logos on the clothing are fine). Where's Makalu? Lhotse? Which raises the question: What mountain is that high (needing oxygen) and that popular?

Also, this is two clips. The second half of the vid is Everest, just after the Hillary Step. Notice the direction of the sun is flipped. Also, this later footage is from a video posted on YouTube four years ago.

:pusheen:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

are you telling me theres a 2nd everest?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I would do k2 first so I die before having to climb all the other ones but I guess the season doesn't work like that

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

They definitely get off doing something somebody else just died doing

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

K2: Life and Death on the World's Most Dangerous Mountain is still my favorite climbing book i think

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I’ve got a family member who was in an high altitude alpine helicopter that crashed. Basically trying to land… a rogue wind gust on a “calm” day threw it off the nearby ledge like it was nothing. Immediately at the wrong angle to recover even if they were at sea level lift and not high altitudes like they were. The pilot was already rag-dolled off the controls anyways. You don’t want to fucky with that

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

bear with me here but what about a cannon at each camp that shoots the bags of poop off the mountain. like think different people

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Got a confession to make, I’m standing on top of a very tall cold mountain summit atm. Not looking like I’ll die today tho

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

that actually seems like a really good idea

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i already said use a cannon to shoot the poop off the mountain and the children in this thread said use the cannon to shoot poop at the climbers on the mountain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

oh yeah the Everest season is on

https://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2024/04/27/everest-2024-weekend-update-april-28-teams-into-the-western-cwm/

ice fall this year apparently takes 10 hours to get through and charting it delayed climbing somewhat. interesting there are few ladders on it, just long and winding