Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
My high point record is Mauna Kea, in Hawaii. That's going from sea level to 4200m. Of course that's easy when you're being driven up! There's an acclimatisation stop at the visitor centre half-way and you only spent about an hour at the top. I was fine but my travel companion felt the effects badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Munin posted:

What is the world's most famous ladder?
Contender: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/immovable-ladder-church-holy-sepulchre
Or, although rarely talked about directly, the ladder on the Apollo 11 moonlander is now destined to be noticed subconsciously by a non-trival percentage of humankind until such time as society collapses.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

On the other hand, science points towards us living in a Block Universe so time and motion is all an illusion.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

How different would the 'let rich people climb the tallest mountain' industry be if Everest had ended up 250m shorter? The sane answer would be "barely existent" but experience says "Exactly like now but with an even more terrible death toll".

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Life goal: First nude climb of Everest.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Rich people dying doing extreme sports?
Time to pivot to Wingsuits? Haven't most of the pioneers died flying one?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

My new life goal: first naked climb of Everest followed by the first wingsuit descent. Please donate to my kickstarter...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

At the risk of putting this back on subject...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbgv7ntfRUQ

Watch it to the end.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Have some avalanche science...
https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/01/9-russian-adventurers-mysteriously-froze-to-death-a-new-theory-explains-why/

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Are we sure it wasn't the Jewish Space Laser?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Is this funny at all?
It's mildly funnier than jokes about yeti or aliens, and equally not true.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

The Qanon congress lady had some old posts dug up ranting about Jewish space lasers causing forest fires as some sort of scheme to lower costs for public transportation. I suspect the poster was joking about that.
Quite. I was mocking those who believe it was yetis or UFOs by suggesting the also stupid, and currently topical, said space laser. For the sake of avoiding any confusion; I have never been, am not, or ever will be, a Qanon believer.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

* WARNING * GENUINE PHONEY EVEREST CONTENT * WARNING *

Another entry in the bad photoshop annals.
https://www.dpreview.com/news/5994680202/couple-who-faked-everest-summit-pictures-hit-with-10-year-ban-after-not-doing-it-well-enough

* YETI / UFO / MYSTERY PHENOMENON DISCUSSION MAY RESUME *

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 4, 2021

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

It’s interesting, while I don’t know anything about the Bill guy I know that region a bit. If you’re not from the Western US or somewhere like South Florida, Australia, Brazil or South Africa where massive totally untamed tracts wilderness with hazards 10000+ foot mountains or nearly impassible swamps is smack up against very populated urban areas flanked by what perceived as very safe and controlled hiking trails it’s hard to grasp just how quickly things can go from “a nice place to walk your dog” to alone and unafraid and soon to be either getting lost, falling to death in the winter or getting heatstroke in the summer.

One day when I went “hiking” (with ice axes and spikes) on mount baldy after a snow storm, 4 people died on the mountain because it’s still perceived as a reasonable hike to do in your skateboard shoes since it’s in the middle of Los Angeles, even though during the winter it can literally be among the deadliest mountains in the world. And even with the gear I had I should have turned back much earlier since we didn’t have ropes and anchors and such.
Snowdon is quite good at killing tourists despite being just 1085m up.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

If I ever get the chance to do some more solo travelling for wildlife photography, I think I'll pick up a Garmin InReach. It's two way communication and you can get a single month subscription. Compared to the rest of the cost of trips, it's not really that much compared to the potential benefit if something does go wrong.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

While the Japan thing sounds bureaucratic, some countries just don't like technology that empowers or allows people to bypass their control.
https://blog.telestial.com/2017/11/countries-where-satellite-phones-banned-or-restricted/

China fucks with it's maps so GPS never lines up (unless it's an approved device that also fucks with the coordinates). Don't get caught using unofficial maps...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Di-UVC-_4

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It's amazing wild animals live as long as they do. We've clearly become genetically soft.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

They’re full of parasites and stuff
Greenland sharks don't let pesky parasites and stuff stop them living to 250+ years (even if most of that is spent blind because a parasite had sucked their eyeballs dry)...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

lmao again that 4400' Ben Nevis stacks an average of three bodies every year
Snowdonia is even shorter 3500' and racks up deaths. It ends up being factor of the sheer number of 'normal' people going up. Throw in a knife edge scramble or two...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Aphex- posted:

We use a dumb mishmash of metric and imperial depending on what we want to measure. No I have no idea why either.
Degrees for cold weather, fahrenheit for hot weather...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I measure everything in mm/cm/m except my height and waist which I only know in feet and inches.

Edit: terrible new page start....

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

A lot of cultures near big mountains seemed to develop a belief that tall mountains are sacred places that shall not be climbed. But I think beyond that, climbing very high mountains is a dangerous, and takes a lot of time and resources. And to top it all there was no Instagram for the selfies, so what was the point?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

At the other end of the scale, a sub that takes rich people to gawk at the Titanic has gone missing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65953872

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Went for the Titantic Experience, got the Kursk Experience instead?