Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I would pay good money for an Everest book where Zombie Green Boots hunts down and kills anyone who's ever taken a selfie with his corpse.

Imagine how slow the chases in a zombie movie on Everest would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

nomad2020 posted:

Most mountains east of the Mississippi river are day trips at best.

The largest is Mount Mitchell in NC, like 6800'. I hiked it in February, the was snow at the top but I was in shorts.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Mount Washington is 6288', and it kills people every year.

The waterfalls in the area are far more dangerous. Idiots die all the time ignoring trail boundaries and slipping on moss or water.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

punishedkissinger posted:

Climbing Mt. Washington feels pretty bad when you struggle up there and arrive only to have a bus of tourists roll up, lower itself, and unload in front of you.

I have had this exact experience. Then they all waddle over and clog the snack bar and bathroom so it takes you an extra 30 minutes to get water and a pee break.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

The Walrus posted:

I can see why people climb mountains, I don't see why people climb Everest.

That sense of accomplishment must be incredible. Doing a one-day in/out in the Grand Canyon was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but getting to the top and cracking that beer was one of the most glorious feelings I've ever had. I can't imagine how great it much be when the effort is multiplied 50x and the preparation 200x

The hardest thing I ever did was ORAMM (offroad assault on Mount Mitchell). It is a 60-mile mountain bike race with 11000' of climbing. I did not feel glorious during or after. I just wanted to die, because I had put my body through absolute hell for nearly 10 hours.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I have a friend like that, doesn't seem to process danger and fear the same way most of us do.

He's chronically injured, has broken dozens of bones.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Outrail posted:

Does he keep them in a storage unit or is this more of a display collection?

You can see his lower leg meat flex in a very weird way when he moves his legs, due to a compound tib/fib fracture that bounced around for an hour from rural WV to the nearest thing that resembled an ER. He played kickball on a non-competitive co-ed team with a very obviously broken foot. He's a museum of horrors.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
That's a good point, he is too tough for his own good and won't show it when it really does hurt badly.

I guess that's why he went ahead and got married and had children. :rimshot:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Leperflesh posted:

The dude's skills are incredible though.

I don't think that is quite true, considering the results.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Epitope posted:

I suppose it would have been better if this article said that "Ryan Hawks, age 65, slumped over at his desk and died in his cubicle after 40 years of faithful service to Acme Incorporated. He was just five years away from a meager pension that would have allowed him to eke out his sunset years living like a dog. He leaves behind a wife who hasn't slept with him in 20 years and a couple of kids who were too busy with their own problems to care about what he was doing."

Those aren't the only two choices. You can do a somewhat extreme hobby like mountain biking, or skydiving, right? The chances of dying are there, but are relatively low for some very good thrills.

I toned down my adrenaline chasing since I've had children, but I still try to send it a bit when I get the chance.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I met a guy who had a broken hand. I started asking about it and what he does, the answer is MMA. He tells me about the other half dozen injuries he's had the past 3 or 4 years.

He was kind of offended when I told him he should look into another line of work.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Nooner posted:

I climbed everest again yesterday it's getting kinda boring now I wish there was something more exciting

K2 is thataway

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

value-brand cereal posted:

Do we have names for these go getters? I'll start the wiki betting pool tumblr poll voting blog thoughts and prayers circle.

Thoughts and Prayers circle: one day we'll be triple black diamond.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
It's easier to hit home runs in Denver because of the lower air resistance.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Chaosfeather posted:

Wait was that the guy a few days ago "Below the Hillary Step" that some people saw, reported it back at camp, and then they looked out and couldn't find him? Or is this the other climber that was recently lost? Or someone else completely?

Either way, incredible rescue, good on The Sherpa, and glad the client was understanding that a life was more important than them proving how inspired they were or whatever. It sounds like additional people helped the rescue as they got lower, but I'm giving 99% of the credit to the Sherpa for saying "no, we need to do this".
And for, you know, actually doing it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
He was brain damaged enough before he tried to climb Everest, I can only imagine how baked his cranium soup is now.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Tips for climbing K2: sacrifice your horse in the swamp, be confident.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Leperflesh posted:

The US is also missing like 90% of its old growth forests, but it's just a much vaster country and a lot of the wilderness areas were only lightly modified by indigenous peoples before european settlers came, so it's more "unspoiled".

Note that this is a map of old growth loss, not tree loss: a decent chunk of the old growth forest is replaced with new growth.

This continent has also had people living on it since the last ice age, but population density was lower, and it didn't get deforested to build ships in the 1600s although they sure gave it a try.

That said, "unspoiledness" or even "has trees" isn't the only factor that determines whether a landscape is majestic. IMO.

There's not many trees you can see from Everest summit, either.

I was driving around rural Oregon and saw a sign where they had harvested a forest like 5 or 6 times over the past 120+ years (forgive me, I was driving and not taking pictures). They also stated that Oregon produces the most lumber, and has more trees now than they did 100 years ago. It gave me some hope, anyways.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
That's incredible! I guess you can say you put 2 up on Kobe.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
A space thread makes no sense because literally everything is in space. Furthermore, in this essay, I will show :words:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

IIRC he's on the autism spectrum, so he doesn't really show his emotions on his face. That and he's part terminator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Haha, awesome!