Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

13Pandora13 posted:

So there was an air disaster in Greece, in 2005, that was the result in a pressurization issue that rendered the entire crew and all passengers incapacitated due to hypoxia. Slow leak/improper cabin pressurzation, no explosive decompression that would have been noticed, so by the time the masks deployed everyone was either out or not coherent enough to act rationally (consequently, the pilots did not descend to a safe altitude). Shortly before the plane crashed due to fuel exhaustion, Grecian air force pilots reported seeing an unknown person enter the cockpit and point down. It was one of the flight attendants, who managed to linger on a little longer than everyone else from being a swimmer, who was attempting to try to get to lower altitude but just...didn't make it in time. The strength of the flight attendant was seriously astounding, both physically and mentally getting to that point of action with that severe of oxygen deprivation is unheard of. Poor guy had to watch the whole thing. Everyone was alive (but unconscious for such a duration that even if they'd survived they'd have been brain dead) at the time of impact; hypoxia is absolutely brutal. :smith:

One of the prevailing theories about MH370 is that the craft met the same end, either from an intentional act or accidental (as was the case with the Helios flight).

That's also how Payne Stewart died. Plane full of zombies just flew in a straight line until it ran out of fuel and hit the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Rick posted:

I wondered who even let people do the wingsuit thing but I saw a movie on it and apparently nobody since every jump basically featured them either getting arrested or running away from the cops.

Still somehow a very boring doc though.

Agreed, Tomb Raider 2 was lame.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Captain Toasted posted:

That book sounds amazing but the cheapest I can find it is $100. Cave diving is a whole other level of crazy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WtlwoX1YEmg

Interlibrary loan is your friend! https://worldcat.org/title/23766199?oclcNum=23766199

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah that is too much rope.

How about a corpe retrieval zip line?

C4 is pretty lightweight, yeah?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Elukka posted:

What puzzles me is that they do. They want the money, sure. But when they get to the point where the more experienced people running the show go "In my professional opinion, you are going to die on a mountain if you don't turn back now", why do they take no for an answer? Why not say, that's it, we're not not doing this anymore, we're going no further, we're not carrying your stuff, it's over?

Maybe I am just projecting from past retail experience. But if I had to deal day in and day out with that kind of entitled jackass knowing that they spend more money on Starbucks in a month than my entire extended family's yearly income -- yeah I'd let them kill themselves if they really wanna.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

I’m so thrilled that everyone is enjoying this train wreck as much as me. Can’t believe I found this in the wild. It really reminds me of something I would have found on this site 10-15 years ago. Echoes of Texarrakis, or the goon who was planning to walk across the country pushing a shopping trolley and gave up after 2 days.

Since it’s middle of the night in Nepal right now I started watching the vod from his livestream 3 days ago and it seems our story starts here. The vod begins with him being sold on the everest trip by Deepak, one of his companions. He’s been discussing the logistics of purchasing and carrying a generator on the hike for about 20 minutes while everyone around him becomes increasingly exasperated:

https://www.youtube.com/live/l31I1M1Z7aU?feature=share

He wants to carry a generator up Mount Everest? Does he know he won't even get a hug out of it?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

fuctifino posted:

Here's the timestamp where he has his oxygen read, and the sherpa said 73%, then said 71% with a HR of 96% when Icepiss was sat on his hotel bed. He's planning on being woken up at 5am to make the final trek to base camp and then be helicoptered out of there.

I don't think he has the money to have a rest day, as the last of his cash went on this hotel room and food for the night.

How is he planning to pay for the helicopter?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Cojawfee posted:

What's your resting poo poo rate?

About one post per hour.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Switchback posted:

Have any of you watched Alone Australia? I loved it. There’s a dude who’s all “IM AN ALPHA MALE” who taps out on day 2. There is a super badass woman who brought a possum coat and a salt block and has an amazing incredibly tragic story, and I’m going to one of her workshops in two weeks. Can’t wait.

Coat made of possums, or for possums?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Pssh it is like none of y'all have ever read Abduction by Robin Cook.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Another Bill posted:

So if that barrel can survive 400 atmospheres, do you think it could survive a trip over Niagara falls? I'm not a billionaire yet, but....

The barrel would be fine! The contents, on the other hand...

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

News is reporting that they have oxygen to last until 2:30pm eastern time Thursday, June 22nd, 2023, not accounting for additional oxygen consumed during panic.

If there is air for 4 people for 96 hours, there is air for one person for 384 hours. Minus a little for the exertion of making sure you're the one still breathing.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Is there any failure-at-depth scenario that doesn't end with them imploded? The one article mentioned a "dead-man's switch" that would automatically release the sandbag ballast after a day or so. But even if that worked, they'd be non-buoyant if full of water, yeah?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Alan Smithee posted:

one who was saved by his stupidity

To be fair, those are some pretty stupid things to worry about when there were far more realistic safety threats to be terrified of.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

dr_rat posted:

Hmmm okay, I sorta don't have any money. Maybe we could make a kickstarter.

People love to give to a good cause!

Make the site play Single Ladies, leverage the buying power of the Beyhive to Put a Ring On It.

wheatpuppy fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 21, 2023

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

knox_harrington posted:

That feels very 2013-GBS

I don't think Darfur orphans are allowed at base camp without a corporate sponsor.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

ilmucche posted:

What does that have to do with mountain climbing

I thought this thread was about billionaires gaining or losing altitude for clout?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Zarin posted:

It's really cold up there, right?

So if - through a series of elaborate Rube Goldberg-esque contraptions - we could shoot a jet of water at the summit, it would freeze . . . right?

I wonder how much height could be added in pure ice each year . . .

Just require each visitor to pee on the summit.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

orange juche posted:

We need zip line guy to design a rapid way to get down Everest after you've got a pack full of bags of poo

Trebuchet

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

God Emperor Trump will nuke everest

It will still be cold in the middle though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Cactus Ghost posted:

gotta drill the meganuke into the mountain to take it out, like in that movie, what was it

"It is easier to train drillers to climb mountains, than to train mountain climbers to drill."