Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Climbing Mount Everest is a joke. There is nothing to be learned from doing it. It is only done by rich rear end in a top hat who are bored. "Oh, Daddy left me all this money, I must do something with it! Climb the highest mountain! That will make people respect me!" loving rear end in a top hat idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

knox_harrington posted:

It isn't inherently a joke, the problem is with a sector of society that can only conceptualise things by quantifying them. Techbro assholes don't want to climb Everest, they just want to say they've been to the biggest number.

Nahh, climbing Everest is nothing but rich assholes saying you will never do this. Same reason Amazon guy launched his dick into space. Same reason they imploded looking for the Titanic. I can afford to do this, you cannot. Look at me!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Achmed Jones posted:

y'all are being weird. it's not about "i could afford to" it's cause going to the highest/deepest/whatever is, itself, cool. you don't have to make up dumb sociopathic reasons, "i wanted to do a cool thing and didn't care who or what was damaged for me to accomplish it" is messed up enough

yeah, but I'm a poor sociopath and I also want accomplish things

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Conversely most of the guys who went to the moon were not rich, being government employees and all that. I think Alan Shepherd owned a beer distributorship and did OK. And I sure as hell hope Jim Lovell made some scratch from the movie deal. But, for the most part, they were not rolling in dough. When I mention this to people, I often get, "Naw, they're doing alright." Upper middle class? Sure. But it's like we equate these great achievements with being loaded.

Yeah. But there is no trip to the moon rich people can go on is there? Not yet, at least. Not knocking the first people to do these things, just the ones who have nothing else going on in their life that they decide, I'm going to spend a years salary, or more, on a frivolous trip to a dangerous destination

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

This is gonna be a thing soon enough.

That isn't good. There is enough space garbage as it is

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

kalleth posted:

is tingler the author or is it the feeling of incipient frostbite

enquiring minds want to know

You mean Chuck Tingle? No, he doesn't write trash

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

I went and met a bunch of them a while back where they were sitting at booths, signing autographs, for a fee (minimum $150 for those who went to the moon; shuttle folks were a better bargain). And it threw me off for the whole event. Surely Michael Collins and Charlie Duke are doing just fine, right? But we just assume they live in mansions and get big speaking fees because they did those great adventures. The rich adventurers, and aspirational adventurers, are chasing that glory from the opposite end, and that feeds our perception of the wealth of the original adventurers.

Or maybe the astronauts are just anomalies. Because the rich adventurer has been a thing since ancient times.

Rich adventurers, got it in one

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Real talk:
How many of you have bested Mount Everest?

Got any millionaire Climbers here?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

I'm a billionaire so I pay people to climb everest for me.

I can see it on the internet. What's the big deal?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Chief McHeath posted:

if you die on everest does your ghost oonly get to haunt everest or can it like… catch a wind current and drift somewhere else and haunt there? not really sure the alpine rules in this area…

OOHHH You're gonna die here.
Yeah we loving know

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

BigBadSteve posted:

This but the scale model of Everest and a Ken or Barbie doll representing Facebook Aunt

I did that one time

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Leperflesh posted:

Tangental, but a while ago a few folks made charitable donations and I got this endearingly low-key email today from one of them, APA Sherpa Foundation:

https://mailchi.mp/apasherpa/apa-sherpa-foundation-updates?e=e365177120

two weeks late, but this is honestly the best thing I have seen on this site

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

it's a question mark. It's on your keyboard

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

smoobles posted:

My downtown has plenty of poop

lol

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Anne Whateley posted:

Yes, that exact thing is a major feature of Piraha culture. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirah%E3_people That wasn’t known before the mission because no outsider really spoke the language before he did.

It’s a really interesting mindset, part of their general lack of focus on the past and the future. Definitely recommend the guy’s memoir, Don’t Sleep, There Are Snakes.

While the whole missionary thing didn’t work out so great, I wouldn’t say his life was wasted. He’s done a ton of work on very rare languages, documenting them, developing orthographies, becoming the first outside speaker of Piraha, etc. He’s very famous in linguistics circles, is a college professor, and has an enjoyable feud with Chomsky
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Everett

which chomsky did he have a feud with?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

:science: Actually, only 12.4 percent of women have a 28-day cycle! Most women cannot predict the full moon by checking for blood.

loving Selene, can't get anything right

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Cactus Ghost posted:

the menstrual cycle being "28 days" is a convenient (for early 20th century male physiologists, primarily) average and not anything you should set a clock to

e: d'oh

I like that you had a Homer thing here.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Cactus Ghost posted:

did homer ever climb everest. that seems like a homer adventure from like season 10-16?

not everest but he did climb a big mountain.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

das hipster posted:

Homer climbed the "Murderhorn" in Season 9 Episode 23 - "King of the Hill"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RpzYLOx67A

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

DPM posted:

Some rich motherfuckers had better die on an 8 thousander stat or this thread is doomed

ha ha
Oh no!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Leperflesh posted:

well today I learned something, thank you

that doesn't prove anything all they show is the abstract. No control, no further tests. It's worthless

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Cactus Ghost posted:

academic monetization strikes again. the menses must flow in perfect harmony

blame big moon

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

~Coxy posted:

Which joker put this thread into my bookmarks.

Ah, a very intelligent mod put the in-joke as the title of the thread rather than the sub-title.

That seems like a good idea now it's back in GBS!

It was me, because I wanted to annoy you, don't even know who you are

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The Bible posted:

When I first moved to Korea I started eating a lot of Korean food, of course.

For two weeks, I guess my body didn't know how to handle this new cuisine, I didn't poo poo at all.

One day at work, I felt something... move... kind of shift in my abdomen. I didn't know what it was but it was definitely big.

Anyway, that night was basically the South Park scene with Randy on the toilet. I thought I was going to die because it seemed impossible for anything that big to pass.

That's the closest I have to an Everest poop story.

knew I read you for a reason

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

God Emperor Trump will nuke everest

We haven't used a nuke in a while

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

orange juche posted:

Concerning the thread title, what happens if I don't produce 8.8oz of excrement per day? What happens if I ate a gas station burrito on the way to everest and drop a log the size of an infant? Do I have to purchase additional poop credits to make up for it?

You will die

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Cactus Ghost posted:

gotta drill the meganuke into the mountain to take it out, like in that movie, what was it

Austin Powers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Pretty sure John Henry could just do it