Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
So do people die of Everest or with Everest now? Is the mountain a comorbidity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Inceltown posted:

K2 is cooler

Depends if you're going for quality or quantity.

But don't forget: "Quantity has a quality all of it's own".

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Cojawfee posted:

No thanks, it was pretty trash.

Lol

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

PostNouveau posted:

Permanently or just during the time you're not getting enough oxygen?

I think they're talking about the thread

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Didn't haul a full bag of poo poo off the mountain? Go back and do it again.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I say this in every Everest thread but gently caress high altitude climbing. I'll hike big stupid mountains happily enough but going above 4-5000m or so... gently caress that poo poo.

A mate and I climbed Huyno Potosi in Bolivia with a tour company, he was super fit and I was in pretty good multiday hiking condition. We were living in la Paz so already acclimatized to around 3600m. First day caught a bus up a ways and hiked up to around 5500m or so, to summit at 6000m the next day. If you know anything about mountaineering you'll notice that's kinda dumb as gently caress but tourists are universally stupid and climbing companies around there don't really care. I couldn't sleep, massive headache, typical altitude sickness symptoms. My buddy was puking this weird black stuff near the top but we pushed on and made it, on the way down he continued to puke and couldn't walk more than a hundred meters before collapsing for a few minutes. I was only marginally better and couldn't breathe for poo poo. I caught the guide's eye and he just shook his head and kept gesturing to hurry the gently caress up. It was getting late and some crevasses were thawing out and we started sinking into them (we were roped together). Very cool stuff. Eventually we made it down, tipped the guide a whole bunch and hosed off back to LA Paz. Coming down was like a weight being lifted off our chests, and buddy thanked me for 'being so strong for him'. On all honesty I was barely keeping up and couldn't have gone much faster. I'll still do big elevation gain hikes with little complaint but you'll need to pay me to go above 5500 again, and a multi day acclimatization to even get to that level.

My takeaway lesson was being a tourist makes you dumb, and going on a guided anything turns you into a trusting fool and so extremely loving stupid. I'm usually really cautious and always happy to turn back if people/conditions are hosed. But I think we just assume if there's a guide and if there's any problem they'll take care of it, or tell you what to do if things go bad. But guides can have an incentive to hit the goal, or just aren't paid enough to give a poo poo (working minimum wage I can accept that). I was a trip guide a hundred years ago and we knew gently caress all about anything and letting us naive inexperienced idiots put a kid in hospital and could have killed her where a trained guide could have avoided that. I guess the lesson is tourists dumb, you'll be dumb, your guide may not know what they're doing, pay for a good company, tip your guide.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Buttcoin purse posted:

As a highly accomplished Everest thread reader (:v:) I did immediately notice you went up almost 2000m in one day which seems like a lot. Is my recollection correct that the rule of thumb is 1000m per day? This is relevant information for me because apparently there are some roads that go up about that high.

Also that sounds pretty horrible! Did you even enjoy getting to the summit?

Yes, that's a stupid thing to do and I was stupid.

I did a similar thing taking a bus from sea level up to 3500 or more and after a few hours forced my way onto another bus and demanded to go back down because I was so sick.

I also tried to go from 200m to 4000m over two days, was feeling pretty loving terrible, puking and feeble and just a pathetic mess, then tried to do a hike up a 5000m mountain a day or so after that and made it about half way. I had to lie in the dirt in near freezing temps for a couple of hours before the rest of the group came down. They were all suffering various levels including (apparently) hallucinations. One of them needed to poo poo so just took her pants off in front of the tour guide. I have no idea why I did something so stupid so many times and I'm serious about being on holiday chewing up half your brain cells.

I'm the midst of all that I did a self guided trek to Machu Picchu that involved a 1km altitude gain to 5000m and I was fine. Because I'd acclimatized properly and coca leaves really helped. My hiking buddy wasn't so acclimatized and refused to chew the leaves because he 'wasn't a loving koala' and had a rough night before we got down to a reasonable level.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 4, 2020

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yeah, that's the annoying thing. I've travelled with two super stupid fit people who could kick my rear end up and down a mountain without a sweat. But after a certain level they're just hosed. Meanwhile some chainsmoking wafflehouse denizen who's never seen the inside of a gym doesn't feel a thing. It's like the universe decided to just roll the dice on people and gently caress your conception of logic and physical fitness.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Coming down from altitude is fun. I'd been living above 3600m for a couple of months, and ended up at a hostel in Miami with a decent sized pool. I think I could swim five laps underwater without an issue, a month later I could maybe handle half that.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
The best bit is she's in the wrong anyway because she didn't check what the price was before ordering, and it's questionable she was even paying more than anyone else would have. So she got upset about less than $1 and literally stole from a local businesswoman. What absolute loving trash she absolutely deserved a beating.

I thought the Nepalese woman had a machete at first which is a bit much, but a timber beat down seems about fair.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Terrible Opinions posted:

I'm pretty sure regardless of price or priveledge you're going to be pissed if someone steals from you after trying to haggle the price.

Yeah, this.

If you tried to dine and dash at a western restaurant because it was a few buck more than you thought it should be you're looking at a pissed off restaurateur. This has got nothing to do with Nepalese culture and 100% an entitled Karen bringing her I know best entitled attitude on holiday.

Epitope posted:

Why do people enjoy traveling. That video is just depressing. It's cool to be reminded of your privilege, and to grapple with your place in the human world. Seems better to do that during work time though, use vacation for relaxation and rejuvenation. Clearly this isn't how many people feel.

If you have no interest in seeing new cultures with a bit of a culture shock challenge I have no idea how to explain why travelling is fun. Not really having a go at you though. I think motorsports, MMA and anime are loving stupid but some people can't get enough of it and I can't hold that against them, just personal preference.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Empty Sandwich posted:

I don't know if you read the article, but he LITERALLY DOES THIS THING, SPECIFICALLY AGAINST THE ADVICE OF BOTH THE SHERPA GUIDES AND THE EURO GUIDES.

I'm not spoilering that, bc of course he did but also he's the guy who wrote the article, so

A ghostwriter?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ewe2 posted:

Narrator: he found nothing, and got back safely and the article ends rather lamely.

Booooo! We paid for blooooooood!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
All that rope looks like a trip hazard. Somebody could get hurt

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

George H.W. oval office posted:

Na y’all got it all wrong it’s this guy

gently caress those ladders

I think this is technically a bridge. Or possibly a pastry or sandwich.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Everest is not for people

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yeah, the dummy didn't get trip insurance, he's a multimillionaire, he's doing because he's butthurt. Leave him in a crevasse.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ewe2 posted:

No really this is a good thing, because when this entitled poo poo loses his case and stamps his little feets in rage, every mountaineering company will have TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT YOU CAN DIE ON THIS MOUNTAIN ITS YOUR LIFE YOU MORON in bold capitals on the contract and force them to sign it off in triplicate before they let them set foot on a plane and everyone, from the mountain to the guides will be happier and safer. Perhaps slightly poorer, but safer.

That Canadian woman had guides telling her 'you're in danger, you need to turn around, you're going to die, get going like right now' and she still refused to leave and dithered about on the peak for half an hour taking photos. Her last words were something like 'please don't leave me here to die'. So yeah clients shouldn't have any decision making authority once they hit basecamp.

Unless they have 'body litter removal insurance' to pay for needlessly expensive retrieval. Then I can get behind that.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

i say swears online posted:

the whole point of this thread is to mock rich idiots who do nothing but exploit locals and die

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Adios old Everest Thread location, may your corpse strewn mass be a warning to us all.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Grevling posted:

Does anyone have any more on the lady who haggled over tea and got chased? When I google it's mostly articles saying the same things, and it's always the tourist's perspective even if it's making fun of her. It'd be interesting to hear the tea vendor's side of it if that exists. The tourist lady is always quoted saying she paid for the tea but people ITT are saying she dashed.

This one made me laugh. The woman clearly had never had to worry about money in the way the knife edge of poverty does. The price was all just a matter of principal for her, nothing real anyway. And I'm sure she's seen/heard how thieves could lose a hand in some time/places (even if it was just watching Aladdin). And I'm sure she never put two and two together to understand why that might be the case.

For a brief shining moment she became the embodiment of 'gently caress around and find out' and managed to capture the whole embarrassing ordeal on camera. When she's back home in England I hope a server recognizes her and charges for £25 for a cup of tea.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'm no scaffoldologist or sailor or mountain climber but that looks like an excessively complicated array of ropes and lines for a ladder.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah just have the guy at the bottom hold it, what's the big deal?

See, this guy gets it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
So you need good skills to survive and bad luck to die.

E: or, need skills and good luck to live, but if you're lacking skills or luck you're dead.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Azathoth posted:

also, i would like to state, for the record, this is not an attempt to get rich people to pay me to kill them. for serious. if i wanted to kill rich people, i'd start up a hunting reserve and go all most dangerous game

I have a bbq restaurant concept we should partner on.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

AHH F/UGH posted:

Sorry if this was discussed already

Was there ever any traction on the "just close Everest, people are constantly dying there" thing? I know it's a huge source of income for a lot of people in that area but it's kind of gross to profit off people killing themselves for no reason

Everest cycles money from the rich to the less rich. It's a net good to the world.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'd be happy to add a frozen CEO corpse and random poopsicles to my backyard for a a few $k.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Letting people pay extra to be Everest imposter might increase revenue.

The most even more dangerous game.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Personally I'd like to be thrown out of an airplane, stick my head in front of an artillery cannon or sit on a 44 gallon drum of anfo. Something quick and painless but still cool.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

gently caress. Yes. That's metal.

Snype!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Phy posted:

For when you want them to say at your funeral, "He shall be mist"

Nooooiiiice

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Why not train a up a team of yetis?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If my duct tape and years of on the ground experience was good enough for that corpse over there it's good enough for you.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

BaronVonVaderham posted:

But then you remember what robots are actually like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUC1w38DJQw&t=33s

Beautiful.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

How much does it need to lose to become the second highest mountain, and what's the feasibility of blowing it up to achieve this?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Stunt_enby posted:

why did you bump this awful, psychotic thread?

Good lord you're right! Why would anyone bump an awful, psychotic thread on these here forums?

Laughing at the death wish compulsion of rich entitled assholes is an appalling practice and needs to stop!

*long drawn out farting noises*

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

best bale posted:

I’m assuming because it’s new information pertaining to Everest and this yearly thread is amazing :colbert:

I like your avatar, but if you want to be best bale you should change it to one of the old school bales instead of the big rolled up ones. Animal nutritionists are advising its not good for the animals that eat them.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

feelix posted:

Can we get a list of people who post ITT but get mad when GBS makes fun of fat people?

I think we already decided it's okay to make fun of fat people as long as they're rich and dying of cereal enemas on the side of Mt Everest.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

best bale posted:

I appreciate you

Nice, thanks! Apparently the concern was animals wouldn't be getting a full square meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

gohuskies posted:

Since the Indian subcontinent is pushing north into Asia, Everest and the rest of the Himalaya are growing by about 5 centimeters a year, the same process that created the range in the first place is keeping them growing. But yes mostly more accurate measurement.

Is it ice or rock at the top? Coz if it's the latter should you take accelerated weathering by douchebag laden crampons into account?

Oracle posted:

Further investigation found the modern bales give them a well-rounded diet.

I drop that round vs cube hay bale joke every single time I'm on a road trip, to the point people literally scream at me to shut the gently caress up if I say "You see that hay bale...?". And I've never thought to try and follow up the original punchline with a secondary pun.

Anyway, you'll never know it but thank you for making a bunch of strangers so irrationally angry I may actually be physically beaten.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 9, 2020