Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Everest is also mostly trash at this point.

Surely the $4k fine on a trip that costs six figures to set up will convince people to bring their trash down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

charity rereg posted:

My understanding as someone who has read a bunch of books about Everest/K2 etc is that the trip into base camp involves almost no mountaineering, is still at quite a bit of altitude, and is really just an incredibly long unscenic muddy slog. There are also big issues on the approach trails to the "big" mountains as human waste does not degrade at that altitude. On the way to K2 there is basically a small oasis spot that is covered in human poo poo.

It's still very pretty. A photographer youtuber I watch did a week long hiking trip that involved a stop at Everest base camp and it totally looks to be worth the effort if you got a ton of money and want to go somewhere exotic. Unfortunately he got altitude sickness and had to descend to recover so he didn't actually make the base camp, but the stuff he did see was gorgeous.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When we went into RMNP and spent most of the day around 3600 meters I felt fine. Which isn't amazingly high, but we were coming from Illinois so there was a lot of huffing and puffing. But when we came down from it (~2200 meters) I had an unreal appetite. We stopped at a BBQ place and it felt like there wasn't enough food in the restaurant to fill me up.

I've never eaten that much food in one sitting before or since.

I assume my calorie burn went way up while hiking at heights I'd never visited and that was my body telling me to do something about it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If litter wasn't such a problem I'd suggest taking him back up the mountain then punting him off the top. So I'd make do with a good old fashioned guillotine.