Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

CommunityEdition posted:

I’m just assuming the article ends mid word.

Narrator: he found nothing, and got back safely and the article ends rather lamely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Jesus christ the well of pointless vindictiveness from the rich just never runs dry does it?

No really this is a good thing, because when this entitled poo poo loses his case and stamps his little feets in rage, every mountaineering company will have TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT YOU CAN DIE ON THIS MOUNTAIN ITS YOUR LIFE YOU MORON in bold capitals on the contract and force them to sign it off in triplicate before they let them set foot on a plane and everyone, from the mountain to the guides will be happier and safer. Perhaps slightly poorer, but safer.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Conrad Anker climbed the second step without the Chinese ladder in 2010 for a documentary on Mallory and Irvine and believes he could have climbed it. I'm inclined to accept his opinion over any armchair expert.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Aegis Bear posted:

Man if they want to die that bad, there’s a million cheaper ways to accomplish it. I’m glad it’s going to be undertaken by actual climbers and not some dumbass tourists being hauled up a mountain by weary Sherpas but still, K2? Without oxygen?!

Carla Perez and Adrian Ballinger (without oxygen) did it in 2019 after summiting Everest (with oxygen) that year as part of their day jobs as guides. That's right, they decided it would be great fun to climb K2 at the worst time of year after the Everest summit season and after they had expended significant physical effort on that mountain. These guys are smart. Oh, almost forgot, they had to walk about 90km into the base camp as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvFt2Xcuois

Although, as the film notes, they wisely have no plans to ever climb K2 ever again. This is another irritating movie where they show nothing of the climb back down which is the most dangerous part of the whole thing. But it is one of a very few movies that takes time to document some of the acclimatization process, presumably because somehow the director thought this was more gripping viewing than a climb down, so there's that.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 22, 2020

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Buttcoin purse posted:

Is that the one where one of the climbers says "can we speak to their owner?" :cripes:

That was Sherpa, where the guy running the main camp and expedition Russel Brice was complaining that it was only a few troublemaker Sherpas leading the boycott and they were riling the others up into "mob rule" and it was difficult to stop, and that's when this American guy pipes up and uses "employers" and "owners" interchangeably when asking whether they can just contact their employers and just sack them and get rid of them. Brice repeatedly called them "irrational" and seemed to think that was the only explanation, which is the irrational response of a businessman who just wants his cheap labor to keep on trudging up a dangerous icefall all night so his important clients can have a cup of tea at camp two.

Not one of them was interested in fixing the problems they had caused for the sherpas, namely that Everest is such big business they were having to start doing portage in the early morning just to keep up with demand which was going to lead to this kind of accident sooner or later, they were not paying them fairly and were under no compulsion by the government to do so. They preferred to blame the government for not sharing their take of the money (of course, why would they share theirs? :rolleyes:), and were highly miffed when government attempts to calm the Sherpas only made them angrier. But then Brice has to deal with the Sherpas he has that do want to keep climbing potentially being called out for breaking the boycott and being attacked and makes a big deal about this instead and tells the clients it's all off.

And it's then that our same American tells us that these Sherpas are the new definition of 'terrorist': someone who makes demands and threatens violence because they won't lug his gear up the mountain for him and literally links them to 9/11. Well they never threatened him with violence and they didn't make demands of him, but of the people who are underpaying them for a very dangerous job that should be made safer by not climbing in the morning, but Americans seem to be simple people who get mad when their toys are taken away. Merry Christmas.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

It's far more of a technical climb to set up, but it is certainly possible to buy your way onto an expedition and make it up without much in the way of experience because your guides will do the hard work and setup fixed ropes. So you don't need to be an expert mountaineer or anything, but it is certainly more difficult than Everest is. And as stated, if you get struck with Snow Blindness or HAPE/HACE, there is no easy way down.

I would disagree with the point re experience because experience can be some preparation but no amount of experience can be total preparation for K2. It's not just that its technical, its technical AND extremely exhausting because the technical part goes on for far longer than just about any other mountain and you have to get through it as fast as you possibly can to make the summit in a workable time-frame and no amount of preset ropes is going to do that for you, that effort has to be made by you. Now add the random dangers on top of that, and now you begin to see why the mountain is a killer. It asks way too much of even the best, most genetically-favored climbers, there are no genetics for this. And of course, you still have to make your way down and too many people are only thinking of the summit and not surviving the return.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

bar88537 posted:

https://www.deeplife.co.uk/files/How_Rebreathers_Kill_People.pdf
That doesn't seem to source it's quotes so I'm wondering how true it actually is

They're trying to avoid retaliation by the sharing of this document, but it wouldn't be hard to find those incidents from the later repeated references to a couple of websites and join the dots to the suspect manufacturers and products. All they can do is raise awareness, the people who are supposed to be doing their job ie the regulators are clearly just letting people take their chances and not giving a drat.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

There's good opinions, and there's not so good opinions. This is one of the good ones actually.

Motorsports get so bad they become funny again, cf. the 2020 season of F1, which was a raging soap opera and 2021 promises even more laughs. You can decide to be mad at human stupidity or laugh at it, but you'll never avoid it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

At the risk of putting this back on subject...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbgv7ntfRUQ

Watch it to the end.

All I'm thinking is "run you stupid bastards", but not these precious backwaters of human genetics, there's a loving rainbow.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Interesting article with some stats contrasting Sherpas and "foreigners", a catch-all term covering expedition clients and operators. More people are being crammed into shorter climbing seasons, as well.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-02/unpacking-the-tragedy-on-mount-everest/11162770

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Probably because there's a vertical slope traverse you need to not fly off over on your magical carpet ride to certain death.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Yeah I don't know how they expect goons to sit through needless diatribe after derail from the main subject

:hmmyes: no sense of irony at all lol. WTYP is "good interrupting" for me though, it works with these specific people. Speaking of caving here's a horrible story from down my way about the "Everest of cave diving" gone wrong. Coincidentally this is exactly the kind of scenario they were talking about in the podcast episode.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

gohuskies posted:

Also, the all-Black Everest team was still guided up by 8 Sherpas, so I'm really not sure how a climbing team that is half Sherpa guides is an all-Black team, but I guess we just ignore and erase the Sherpas like usual.

So that's a half-black Everest team then. Half-bla for vampire readers.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

DPM posted:

Has anyone else been hooking into the Cave Diving videos that the youtube algorithm has been vomiting up for the past six months or is that just me? It seems like there's a lot of crossover in the "Climbers die in horrific ways" and "Untrained morons diving into caves for the first time die in horrific ways" content.

Similar thing with shipwrecks.

For a while goons were sending these to the trashfuture stream on twitch and we got to see some awful cave diving and shipwreck tragedies, there have been enough to the point where they literally put plaques at the bottom of these places with DON'T GO PAST THIS POINT YOU WILL DIE THERE HAVE BEEN X NUMBER OF DEATHS and people STILL do it, it's mental illness.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Whatever happened on Annapurna is going to be one wild story if we get the details, something went very awry there.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I haven't watched the stream before and I'm watching him say his chest hurts. This is the dumbest person, he should be going down. He keeps saying "heart attack" and veering dangerously close to edge of the cliff.

A wild yeti appears! "What happens if it attacks me will you protect me?" What a diplomatic Sherpa, he doesn't say what he must be thinking.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 24, 2023

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I actually think he might be delirious with periods of lucidity.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

God the chat on this stream is abhorrent, or maybe I'm just old and the kids are still edgy. Also Joel, do not save Ice, he'll only take you down with him.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

ahaha Sherpa is really enjoying his timeframes here.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

New rule: you don't get to summit until you've taken down some trash. No I don't care if it's your first time, call it an acclimatization run. Maybe it'll put them off and save lives (who am I kidding, half of them will fall off the edge picking up a gas bottle).

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4odDLDooTgs

Its engineering!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Empty Sandwich posted:

another NYT article about climbing.

this one's about an American expedition in Argentina in 1973. two people died. one of them was carrying a camera, and that just reappeared a couple years ago.

That was fascinating, and disturbing to say nothing of frustratingly unfinished. Did Cooper and Johnson go nuts and attack each other? Why those specific injuries, it doesn't make much sense. Is there some weird rare Andean monster that attacks the faces of stragglers? Maybe not, but I don't entirely buy the story of the survivors either: does the story of Johnson against the story they brought back of a girl giving up with "don't make me suffer just let me die" ring true to you? A woman who'd climbed many high peaks over 10k feet?

The story of Cooper's ice-pick "accident" also smelt bad to me, it's very difficult to fall on an ice-pick that hard and the shape of the wound didn't match. What made that hole? Too many questions that can never be answered.