Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

PostNouveau posted:

I hate that poo poo. I've traveled with people who insist on bargaining with the locals over everything, and it's fine not to get ripped off for like $20, but there's also a lot of times where it's like "What the gently caress, we're arguing with this dude about $2."

True, and I agree; however, in my experience if you are traveling in a place where bartering occurs, and you have a guide, if you don’t make a good faith effort to not get ripped off, your guide will quickly facilitate you getting ripped off.

Now having said that, no... you should not be fighting some Nepalese person over 50 cents, or two dollars—unless someone is trying to sell you a plastic McDonalds straw for $5; this happened to my ex-wife in India.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

sullat posted:

They'll be needing to order extra shipments of oxygen for the climbers this year from India.

Indian hospitals are out of oxygen because of all of the COVID hospitalizations right now. So good luck acquiring oxygen from India to climb mountains—with or without COVID.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Cojawfee posted:

I think they meant oxygen for the climbers that are from India, because they all have covid.

He did, it just reminded me that the entire region is low on oxygen needed for honest to gods life saving medicine.

This, I imagine, is going to have to have an impact on the climbing season.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Much to everyone's surprise, there's a COVID outbreak at Base Camp and the Nepal government is covering it up.

I mean, who could have possibly seen this coming?

I get that Nepal relies on rich Western Everest climbers, as do many of the Sherpas, but this always has disaster written all over it.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

bird with big dick posted:

Just realized I never posted this in this thread, it is your fault that I own this

Isn’t that a Klingon blade? I what is the largest peak on Kronos? Also, had a Klingon speaker ever made the summit of Everest?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
This is not related to Everest, but is related to the attitudes of some of the Westerners who climb Everest.

Cross posting from the Schadenfreude thread.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

PostNouveau posted:

https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/1400591896603512832

The newest expedition to the site thinks that they set up their tents in a dangerous spot to shelter from the wind. An ice slab detached and ran over some of the tents, severely injuring several party members. The other members, fearing a full-scale avalanche, fled and were unable to find their way back in the dark.

Yeah, it’s pretty obvious there was an avalanche during a serious storm, causing people to abandon their tents half clothed, some with no shoes... not Bigfoot or Aliens.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

LanceHunter posted:

Not really, no. All the wingsuit videos show dudes really close to the ground because it is awesome, but to get to the point where you can do that you have to start by practicing very far from the ground.

EDIT:

Here are some people practicing in essentially skydiving conditions. http://www.adventurerocket.com/preparing-for-base-season-wingsuit-coaching-with-jarno/

What is wrong with human beings? It’s like Freud was right and, some people at least, have a death drive.

You won’t catch my dogs doing this poo poo.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Anne Whateley posted:

It said he wouldn't carry a locator beacon specifically (as a rule) because "then he wouldn't really be alone." That was where I was over it.

Honestly when I was watching this something immediately clicked. I was like, “oh, the people who do this sort of thing in the way Leclerc did it, shouldn’t actually be celebrated—ever. They are high order narcissist, probably sociopaths, and the most selfish humans you will ever encounter.”

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

How are u posted:

Mountains and climbing and stuff.

Mountains, climbing stuff, and the idiots people who try to climb them.