Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I want the world's deepest cave to become a similar attraction to Everest, with the dumbest white people on Earth being guided by Georgian cave sherpas in a queue to the bottom.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veryovkina_Cave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyjPSgAnQRw

I suppose there is a little obstacle for my dream in that it is in the Abkhazian breakaway republic occupied by Russia so kind of hard to reach for many westerners. But maybe one day...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Captain Toasted posted:

You could create a new sport where you purposefully limit your oxygen supply while doing normal hikes to simulate everest altitude. Just program in some sort of failsafe so if you pass out it goes back to normal air

oh word
https://www.is.fi/urheilu/art-2000010109093.html

quote:

Joel Naukkarinen, 30, started an unimaginable experiment in 2017, and there is no end in sight - already over 200 000 euros in debt

Joel Naukkarinen, 30, is a man with a difference. He's not the only top athlete in the world who is totally dedicated to his cause, but probably no one else does things the same way. Naukkarinen is an athlete, doctor and PhD researcher who has been living his life in a "high altitude camp" since 2017.

Naukkarinen answers the phone in the middle of a bike ride at an altitude of just under 4,000 metres. In the middle of the interview, he changes from cycling to skiing. All this is happening this time in Kouvola.

At home in Kuopio, Naukkarinen lives constantly in high mountain conditions. He sleeps and trains in his own alpine hut, a room where he can adjust the oxygen level to match his desired altitude above sea level. He also has an alpine room in his original home in Kouvola.

Over the years, there have been a variety of tweaks. Naukkarinen has had an entire apartment converted into an alpine tent, and a smaller setup on the end of a double bed on his side, where he stuck his head when he went to bed.

All of this is aimed at one goal. Naukkarinen wants to get the most out of his athleticism - and win Olympic gold.

NAUKKARINEN hit the headlines on Sunday as the new world record holder. He broke the world record in the indoor rowing marathon (42 195 metres) with a time of 2.20.06,9. In indoor rowing, Naukkarinen is now a double world champion, as he also holds the world record for the 100 km.

- It was a good performance. I've been preparing for it for a long time. In 2015 I set the Finnish record, and since then I've had a reasonably clear idea that one day I might win the world record, Naukkarinen says happily.

The maximum rowing time of two hours and twenty minutes is quite an achievement. To an outsider, it also looks rather monotonous, because the scenery doesn't change when you're working on the rowing machine.

Although there are virtual models available for indoor rowing, which, like cycling, can be projected on a TV screen to help you visualise yourself on the water, Naukkarinen does not use them on long rides. He relies on a different method.

- I try to sink as deeply as possible into my own space and thus reach a state of flow. That way you can tolerate surprisingly heavy loads and feelings of discomfort, such as pain and monotony," Naukkarinen explains.

He says he likes to listen to music during her performances, but finds other "extra" things more distracting. Usually, metal music is in the ears, but for the marathon he likes softer Finnish rock.

- I believe that in a marathon, mental performance is my biggest strength. The ability to ignore any feelings of fatigue and unpleasantness. No matter what the body sends me, which in a normal situation would make a person stop, I manage in a way to disconnect the body from the brain and stay in the mental landscape of my choice for the whole run.

However, the wild world record task did not go off without a hitch. Around the halfway point, he felt really bad for about four kilometres, when the muscle pains became severe. It passed, but there was another moment of truth at the finish line.

- The rest of the half marathon was quite numb. I was so far out of my depth that with a kilometre to go I realised I was going to pass out. I've lost consciousness a few times in my sporting career, so it was a bit frightening to think that I might wake up from the floor and not finish.

- I said to my caretaker - who is my wife Iida Niemi, also a rower - that now I need psychic help to stay in this world for the last kilometre. She knew what to do, we have done a lot of hard performances together.

The couple met when they were 17 years old on a rowing team in high school, and their courtship has continued since then.

Naukkarinen, who has a degree in medicine and an interest in neuroscience, is studying what happens in the brain when people get tired. His medical expertise plays a big part in how she has constructed her extreme training and living conditions.

In his alpine room, the rower can reach the heights of Mount Everest, the highest peak in the world. And it's not just that he visits them occasionally or holds brief camps. The room he has developed through various experiments and the various oxygen masks are part of his everyday life.

Naukkarinen says he spends up to 16-20 hours a day in low-oxygen conditions. That's when it really starts to pay off.

- I've tried to make it pretty constant. My high altitude camp started in 2017, we'll see when it ends. Even though 12 hours a day in those conditions is a big effort, it's not really enough," says Naukkarinen.

- I also make a lot of use of my medical expertise. But it's quite delicate when it comes to breathing. That all the laws of physics and the physiological requirements of life are met. There are many things that can go wrong.

The current solution has been developed through experimentation. Naukkarinen has tried to take risks and experiment a lot. This way, as the Olympics approach, he can pick out the best ones that have worked. In alpine rowing, no other rower is as deep, and that's what Naukkarinen's method aims for: a competitive edge that opponents lack.

- If you do everything by research and mimic the best, it's a good way to get to the top. But when you're fighting by small margins to see who wins and who doesn't, it's not enough to do things as well as everyone else. You either have to be able to do some things even better than others or find something completely new. That requires innovation and courage.

Niemi also sometimes sleeps longer periods in the alpine room with her partner, but she is not exposed to extreme conditions as regularly. However, she knows exactly what dedication to sport is all about, which makes life with her partner much easier.

- But yes, it's a very restrictive life. All athletes can do high altitude training, but most don't want to. It's quite isolating to be cooped up in a room for several months. It takes motivation, and I guess it's pretty easy to go crazy.

In addition to indoor rowing, Naukkarinen competes in track and coastal rowing, which, among other things, has no individual courses and is considered an extreme form of rowing. The former is a traditional Olympic sport, while the latter will be included in the programme for Los Angeles 2028.

In Coastal, Naukkarinen is already a World Championship medallist and is aiming for an Olympic place in both singles and doubles together with his spouse Niemi.

Naukkarinen is already aiming for a place in the Olympic waters in Paris next summer. Preparations for the Olympic qualifiers are already underway. In April, the European qualification regatta will be held in Hungary and in May the final qualification regatta in Switzerland.

As the main goal of her career approaches, the stakes are also at the right level. Naukkarinen recently made the biggest equipment investment of his career, ordering four new boats. Equipment is one area of rowing where there is no reason to give your opponents a leg up. The risk is high, as the money for a giant investment is not yet available.

- We boldly put in the order because the Olympic goal demands it. We are confident that we can still find partners to help pay the bill.

- I have already financed quite a lot of this sport with loan money. I owe more than €200,000, my family and friends have paid a lot and I couldn't do this at all without the support of sponsors. There are still a few places open in the team if anyone wants to jump in.

NAUKKARINEN has also put everything on the line financially. He could also work as a well-paid general practitioner, but then living in the current special conditions would not be possible. Nor, for example, a quick trip to Italy when the waters in Finland are frozen.

- Then I would not be competing with the aim of winning the Olympics. It's all or nothing. Even in a relationship, we have agreed that until the 2028 Olympics we will live entirely on sporting terms.

- Is this then a sacrifice? It probably seems like it to many - if not all - but I don't feel that way at all. My eyes are wide open, and I feel that for a brief moment in my life I will be able to do something truly unique. This opportunity will never come again in my life.

:psyduck:

note: as Finnish language doesn't have gendered pronouns, DeepL just totally confused the genders of Mr. Naukkarinen and Ms. Niemi, calling Naukkarinen her and Niemi him and also Niemi is the husband. I tried to fix them but probably missed a few.

edit: and also thinks that indoor rowing is the same thing as indoor swimming :dumb:

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 21, 2024

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Classic mistake, and a big reason I only ski at Stayaliveington these days

Every man lives, but not every man has really died.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

The fourth highest point in Denmark is called Himmelbjerget, literally Sky Mountain.

It reaches to amazing 147 metres asl. Not a sight for the faint hearted!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Mountains are the ones that are rocky on top. Hills are the ones with trees and grasses at the top.

Marvel at this majestic mountain!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

These are all mountains. Sulitjelma is 1908 meters tall and has barren top. There are mountains where the tree line and vegetation goes way, way higher than that.

To muddle things further, climate change is slowly lifting tree lines higher and higher. Some of the lowest barren top mountains will eventually become completely covered by forest, which is unfortunate to their unique ecosystems.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

wheatpuppy posted:

Just require each visitor to pee on the summit.

Mikael Niemi's novel Popular Music from Vittulanjänkä starts with the teller reaching the summit of a mountain where there is a metal plaque telling that this is the summit of the mountain. There he gets a sudden urge to bow down and touch it with his tongue, and unsurprisingly, gets stuck. He realizes he's going to die there, and starts going through his childhood memories.

At the end, he unzips and pees on his tongue to get loose.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

McSpanky posted:

Pfft, come back when we've had the first birth on Everest

Please, first conception

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol why are people hating on the british landscape. its just nature. you don't need to dunk on it. it didnt have an empire and slavery and poo poo. its just trees and rocks

Not very many trees anymore, I'm afraid :( the deforestation across most of Europe is just appalling, especially of old growth forests which are the most impressive ones

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

There's not many trees you can see from Everest summit, either.

Yeah thanks to mountaineers :mad:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Outrail posted:

Imagine paying money to stand in a poop queue

They can pass the poop bags down in the conga line, turn those lemons to lemonade!

Or maybe try a free market solution. Every climber pays $200 pawn fee for their poo and get handed poo bags. If they don't bring those bags down with them, there's incentive for locals to climb the mountain to collect the bags.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

How many people are going to rip out the chips and leave them at base camp?

I would sew it on someone else's clothes and have them climb in my stead.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Leviathan Song posted:

That seems hard to believe. Even within a hunter gatherer society phrases like go grab 5 fishing nets or 6 bowls would be pretty useful. People were definitely using fingers and tally marks way before agriculture so it seems like a pretty big leap that they didn't have any verbal way to count.

Wikipedia has examples well predating agriculture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histo...%20years%20ago.

Tally sticks date back at least 40000 years. The first written words for numbers seem to come after agriculture but people were definitely counting before that.

Likewise people were doing trade long before agriculture. How do you barter if you don't have basic understanding of numbers? "Yes I would like to have a squirrel fur of flintstones, please"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

"One for me and one for my wife and one for my brother" communicates how many you want without having a word for "three"
stack three up and say "I want these" communicates you want three
there is a difference between a concept and having a consistent word for a thing

Pre-agricultural cultures had words for numbers, we know this. For example 3 is 'kolme' in Finnish and 'kolma' in related Moksha, Ugric languages separated by thousands of years and thousands of kilometers.

IMO people frequently underestimate how intelligent non-agricultural peoples are, and I think it stems from 19th century racism and trying to rationalise the spread of "progress" and "enlightenment" done by colonial empires. We ought to avoid it.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 7, 2024

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

That's why the length of month varies between 28 and 31 days.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Count von oval office :drac:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

onesixtwo posted:

Climbing season sure is gonna be a bloodbath this year

Just countless bloodshed, smh

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

Does GBS really need 2 menstruation threads? Seems redundant.

Do you expect GBS to know how to count to 2?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Why don't they use the poop to extend the summit even higher

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

There are no laws at the top at present. I would beat the poo poo out of other climbers and make them swear allegiance to my royal house. They would call me the Peak King.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

https://nypost.com/2024/04/28/us-news/new-york-park-ranger-robbi-mecus-died-while-ice-climbing-mount-johnson/

quote:

A longtime New York forest ranger and trans advocate was killed Thursday night after falling more than 1,000 feet while attempting to climb a steep cliff in Alaska, officials said.

Robbi Mecus, 52, of Keene Valley and her climbing partner both fell while ice climbing an especially treacherous part of Mount Johnson in Denali National Park known as “the Escalator,” according to the National Park Service.

Mecus, a transgender woman, died in the fall. Her climbing partner, a 30-year-old woman from California, survived with “serious traumatic injuries.”

Another climbing party witnessed the tragic drop and called for help around 10:45 p.m., but it took until 7 a.m. the following morning for the survivor to be airlifted to a hospital.

Mecus’s body wasn’t recovered until Saturday morning following deteriorating weather conditions the evening prior.

The outdoors enthusiast had been a forest ranger for the Department of Environmental Conservation’s Adirondack region for 25 years after joining in 1999 at the age of 27, the agency said.

“I join the Department of Environmental Conservation family in mourning the sudden and tragic passing of Forest Ranger Robbi Mecus,” interim DEC Commissioner Sean Mahar said in a statement Saturday.

Mahar said Mecus “exemplified the Forest Rangers’ high standard of professional excellence,” emphasizing her rescue efforts, her work on complex searches and her deployments to out-of-state wildfire response missions.

The interim commissioner also commended Mecus’s work in “advancing diversity, inclusion, and LGBTQ belonging throughout the agency.”

Mecus was also a leader in the queer community in the Adirondacks, NCPR reported.

She told the outlet in 2021 that she struggled through her teenage years to come to terms with her gender identity. She ultimately waited until she was in her 40s to transition: “I was scared and afraid and I didn’t know how I was going to live my life.”

That hard time is when she discovered her love of rock and ice climbing, and opened her up to a community that didn’t include many queer people, allowing her the opportunity to become a leader.

“There are many reasons I didn’t come out until I was 44, but one of them was because I didn’t see anybody else doing the things that I still wanted to do and I didn’t think I could do them,” said Mecus in 2021. “I didn’t see any queer rangers. I didn’t see any trans climbers.”

According to her social media channels, Mecus had visited Alaska several times for expeditions over the years.

She even successfully made it up “the Escalator” last year.

It’s not clear what went wrong with her final climb, but park officials warn the path to Mt. Johnson’s 8,400-foot peak is among the most dangerous.

“The approximately 5,000-foot route involves navigating a mix of steep rock, ice, and snow,” the National Park Service said.

Mecus is survived by her daughter and former wife, who live in the Keene Valley community.

Denali National Park and Preserve is about 240 miles north of Anchorage.

welp, that's sad. She knew the risks and knew how to deal with them, and the mountain still got the better of her. Best wishes for the fall survivor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I would start from an airplane and land on the mountain top with my wingsuit.