Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

All of the 8k mountains in the Himalayas and Karakoram range have bits, pieces, and routes that no one has ever tried to ascend. Hell, even to this day, no one has ascended K2 in the depths of winter. And some of these 8k mountains have death rates that are vastly higher than climbing Everest - Annapurna, Nanga Parbat, and K2 are actually ludicrously deadly peaks in comparison to Everest.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Since people are talking about this, here's not annoying youtuber Smarter Every Day going into a vacuum chamber to show you what serious oxygen deprivation looks like .

Phy posted:

Carbon dioxide wouldn't be the right simulation for that. What I understand is that your body decides when to take a breath based on CO2 saturation, not oxygen. That's why O2 starvation can be so insidious, your brain stops working well but otherwise you don't really notice. Too much CO2 is apparently agony.

It's also why some poor unfortunates end up ending their lives every year via carbon monoxide poisoning. During a burn pile assignment (wherein we were burning piles of limbs/logs), I had a coworker get symptoms of classic carbon monoxide poisoning. We happened to have an EMR bag, so I put him on a nasal canula (about 30% oxygen) and just let him nap in the back of the truck for a while until he woke up with a pounding headache.

That's also why every now and then you see the kind of macabre suggestion of replacing lethal injection/gas chambers with helium filled execution chambers.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I used to surf quite a lot. The ocean scares the gently caress out of me. I've been held under, pulled out to sea, scraped over barnacles, broken boards, gotten cut by random bits of glass in sands. Recently, an old guy that I knew disappeared while surfing, and I am about 100% certain that the end he met was not pleasant.

The sea is not so much evil, it's just well, the sea. It is billion of tons of water roiling around near coastlines and it will murder you even if you are careful, prepared, and not some adrenaline seeking dude bro who doesn't give a gently caress. The first time I ever went boogie boarding solo, I was wearing a wet suit. I was having fun on the beach, and out of nowhere, I ended up in a rip. And I could not get out of the goddamn rip. Eventually, I realized that I was just wasting energy, so I let it pull me out to sea. My guess is I ended up 300-400 yards off the beach, paddling along before I could get back in. Thankfully, the added flotation of the wet suit (and the fact I wasn't dying of cold because of it) made it so the much easier, but it was downright exhausting. Once I finally got back on the beach (like a half mile from where I started), I walked back to my car, drove home, and slept for sixteen hours straight.

After that, I got a lot more comfortable with the surf. I used to straight up hop on rips with a surf board and just ride it out to sea, but the third or fourth time I did this, I ended up way the gently caress out there. Thankfully, a dude on a jetski just happened to roll up on me contemplating a solid mile swim and get me back in. Since that time, if I ever find myself on the coast (and able to surf), I veeeeery carefully contemplate the wave forecast, and size up the beach when I get there (and look up it's reputation as well), and then have a set amount of time I'm gonna be in the water before I get back.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I work a job that regularly involves being in rural/semi-rural areas. My coworkers are terrified of bears, snakes, mountain lions, bobcats, and dogs, in that order. Statistically speaking, the common domestic pupper is far and away more dangerous. Black bears ain't poo poo, a majority of snake bite incidents involve alcohol, mountain lion attacks are more rare than lightning strikes, and how anyone can even get close enough to a bobcat to get scratched, I do not know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I had a friend of a friend that did a week-long solo kayaking trip on nothing but peanut butter. I have no idea how, or why, but since it's so energy dense the theory at least is sound. The intestinal distress is not.