Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Outrail posted:

We were living in la Paz so already acclimatized to around 3600m. First day caught a bus up a ways and hiked up to around 5500m or so, to summit at 6000m the next day. If you know anything about mountaineering you'll notice that's kinda dumb as gently caress

As a highly accomplished Everest thread reader (:v:) I did immediately notice you went up almost 2000m in one day which seems like a lot. Is my recollection correct that the rule of thumb is 1000m per day? This is relevant information for me because apparently there are some roads that go up about that high.

Also that sounds pretty horrible! Did you even enjoy getting to the summit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Epitope posted:

Why do people enjoy traveling. That video is just depressing. It's cool to be reminded of your privilege, and to grapple with your place in the human world. Seems better to do that during work time though, use vacation for relaxation and rejuvenation. Clearly this isn't how many people feel.

I haven't been to Nepal or wherever that woman is from, but I don't assume that just because she's chasing someone over 50c means her life is miserable or something. I mean maybe she does wish she was living in the west in an apartment with no fresh air working for a boss who keeps giving her impossible deadlines, and many of us here are privileged that we can do that, but maybe she was just sick of lovely tourists that day, but she might also have lots of visitors who are nice. Maybe some people go there and go "oh $1 for tea is so cheap, I'll just give her $2" and that's nothing out of their $10K vacation budget but it's nice for the locals.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

cubivore posted:

does anyone have a good write-up or article about the canadian woman and what happened to her?

I remember hopping into whatever thread it was when they started talking about her, and everyone laughing at her photoshopping herself into everest and literally doing no training for the mountain whatsoever, and then, woops, she died,

That'd be Shriya Shah-Klorfine. I think I remember reading an interesting article or two about her linked in one of these threads, and even maybe a documentary on YouTube because she took a camcorder with her. Maybe if you search for her name on here you'll find them. Or maybe you have to search for "canadian woman everest" :v:

e:f;b but I think there are interesting articles too.

I don't remember if she actually photoshopped herself on Everest but there's this clearly photoshopped image she made:

Someone in one of these threads pointed out that she's photoshopped herself into a scene which is a short walk from a carpark which is about an hour's drive from an international airport in her home country of Canada - maybe it's Banff? - so she could've actually gone there, but I guess she didn't want to climb any mountains before Everest in case it spoiled the surprise :shrug:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Those oxygen cylinders are pretty big too, who'd want to carry a whole bunch of them up the mountain? Whip its are way smaller.

Oh wait you don't have to carry anything yourself anyway unless you decide to ignore directions and head up alone because you know better.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

I guess with these threads my thought is that I admire the people who want the challenge that a giant friggin mountain provides.

But I do not admire the people who actually challenge said mountain. The spirit of the thing is fine, but at the end of the day what are they even doing there? It's not a pioneering thing anymore, the mountain has been scaled plenty of times.

People doing it for bragging rights is just depressing, I guess?

Traveling to a foreign country and littering their scenery with gas bottles, my own waste, and possibly my corpse; consuming other people's diluted waste; stealing cups of tea from the locals; stepping over corpses; queueing for a long time to take a selfie; all so that I can be unique like ~5,000 other people before me.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Maybe drones could pick up the recently-discarded oxygen cylinders so that humans can concentrate on bringing down the more difficult stuff? But with the wind and other bad conditions I suppose making it to the summit despite swarms of drones slamming into you would be the new challenge.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

I haven't watched the film yet but I recognize some of the climber names, and that might be the expedition that featured a porter strike when people (other than the named climbers) refused to tip the porters :10bux:

Is that the one where one of the climbers says "can we speak to their owner?" :cripes:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Klyith posted:

maybe these were some of the moon rocks that were already contaminated with human poo poo from when that nasa researcher went nuts and stole them, then drove cross country wearing a diaper

She really took moon rocks with her? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Platystemon posted:

It’s less disconcerting to be diving in a black void than to be diving above a black void.

You're right, I find that photo more terrifying than the videos of people dying at the bottom of a hole.