Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

anyone know how many hours of oxygen are left, given the Titan 1C's (the world's first single use submarine) time of deployment?

we need a countdown going.

also lmao I saw there were new posts in the Everest thread and knew it was about the missing submarine, I love this community

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I love when the A story and the B story connect

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

this is crazy, it's so dangerous to be a billionaire these days

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

https://www.isthetitansubmarineoutofoxygenyet.com/

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

What are we even doing here? The sub has a single porthole window and god only knows how thick that fucker has to be to survive at depth. Just wire a monitor in front of that fucker and tool around for 12 hours at 30 feet while playing a video of a robot dive.

"is that... Kate Winslet..."

OH gently caress rewind the tape

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1670960366484946944?t=N_PtN63Via4JXfw1xjaC_A&s=19

put it on your calendars folks

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Deki posted:

Wait, they already had a disappearance scare and didn't put in a transponder or anything?

What the gently caress

Can the business owners go to jail for this, or is it one of those "international waters" situations?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

gohuskies posted:

Great example of how hard this is on the families of the guys dying in the sub:

Lmao

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

weg posted:

Sink 182

Dude looks like he's about to a fat life insurance/inheritance pay out lol

Bro is gonna have private Blink 182 concerts in his back yard from now on

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I think the sensible thing to do is for them to eat each other, in order of least to most wealthy

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

the ocean is perfectly safe 99.99% of all deaths occur on land dummies

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

mods closed the Titan Sub thread so I'll post this here

https://twitter.com/Unexplained/status/1690515770290171904?t=pn6dTfnZV6371sWheytuIw&s=19

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

trying to figure out how this belongs in the everest thread

imagine this,b ut the reverse happening, because you went too high up

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Facebook Aunt posted:

No, it's to look at.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'm reading Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air and it's making me NOT want to climb Everest. All of the people in this book were stupid before ascending and then hypoxia made them literal idiot babies and they all died from making insane decisions.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Cactus Ghost posted:

everything he's written is good. i read into the wild in college and it definitely left an impression

Under the Banner of Heaven is excellent as well, if you haven't checked it out

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

We need to put a dog on the summit of Everest, it's the last First

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

lol people paid $100,000 to stand in line on a mountain

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

My downtown has plenty of poop

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/25/travel/everest-climbers-poop-bags-intl-scli/index.html

quote:

Everest climbers will have to take their poop away with them, as Nepal tries to address growing waste problem

Oxygen? Check. Crampons? Check. Poop bags?… Check.

Those hoping to climb Everest this year will have to make some slight adjustments to their packing list, as new rules now mandate that climbers bring their excrement down with them from the world’s highest peak, in a bid to tackle pollution.

Most people who attempt to climb the 8,849-meter (29,032-foot) Mount Everest do so via Nepal, paying $11,000 apiece just for the climbing permit.

With gear, food, supplemental oxygen, Sherpa guides and more, it costs upward of $35,000 to take on the mountain.

But the world’s highest peak has a poop problem, driven by the number of visitors, and the harsh conditions on the mountain, which interfere with the degradation process.

“The problem of human waste on Everest was very bad,” Diwas Pokhrel, first vice president of Everest Summiteers Association, told CNN, adding that at the mountain’s highest points, it was “polluting the mountain environment.”

This photograph taken on May 31, 2021 shows mountaineers lined up as they climb a slope during their ascend to summit Mount Everest.
RELATED ARTICLE
Nepal to require all Mount Everest climbers to use a tracking chip
Without the new rules, the poo problem was highly likely to get worse: Last year, Nepal gave out a record 478 climbing permits to climb the peak. Twelve climbers were confirmed to have died on the mountain, while another five remain officially missing.

Jinesh Sindurakar of the Nepal Mountaineering Association told CNN that an estimated 1,200 people will be on Everest this season.

“Each person produces 250 grams (8.8 ounces) of excrement a day and they will spend 2 weeks on the higher camps for the summit push,” Sindurakar explained, adding that each climber will be given two poop bags, which can each be used six times.

The bags contain chemicals to solidify the human waste and make it odorless, Sindurakar said, and Nepal’s Khumbu Pasanglhamu Rural Municipality will issue some 8,000 bags this season.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I think the sherpas ought to let you poop directly into their cupped hands.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Paying $100,000 to carry my poop up and down a big mountain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

need a hypoxic tent to jerk off in