Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

its funny how after years of readinf the everest threads i can just jump to the end without reading and go "oh its the russian hikers that froze part" and jump right in

when people slowly freeze to death the final phase is "go crazy and party naked." That's it. Their eyes and tongues were eaten cause that and the genitals are the first parts to get scavenged because they're soft and nutritious

polar explorers have had similar naked parties before expiring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

gym climbing's fun, especially if you can go outside the hours office workers go

idk if its like this elsewhere but in the bay area gym climbing has become golf for tech workers

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

god drat that is the absolute nadir of "they're not gonna remember it". id be so goddamn pissed if i found out my folks took me on an epic mountaineering trip before i'd remember any of it

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

also probably inaccurate, between rising average temperatures and explosive population growth worldwide

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

smoobles posted:

I'm reading Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air and it's making me NOT want to climb Everest. All of the people in this book were stupid before ascending and then hypoxia made them literal idiot babies and they all died from making insane decisions.

everything he's written is good. i read into the wild in college and it definitely left an impression

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

having a little death on everest, as a treat

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

All his books are about idiot babies

yeah if you're the type of weirdo who gets steaming mad about choices some stranger made two decades ago he is exactly the wrong author for you

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

im glad this lady who tore her undies was ok, even if it was a small peak, or she was unprepared, or she was english. poo poo happens & nobody's perfect

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

if you love the rocks so much why dont you marry them

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i mean, you can drown yourself with a half-full canteen too, but that doesn't mean taking a drink is freediving

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

and to build ships
so many ships

i read somewhere that there's a joint navy/coastguard forest somewhere in the midwest that's used to keep their two wooden-hulled ships seaworthy and it takes a shockingly huge amount of land to sustainably harvest enough. for two ships. that are already built. it's amazing there are any trees left anywhere

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

jesus christ dude, you didnt need to kill him

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

greenland is one of the last places on earth with tons of legit majorly challenging peaks that have no known summits. its weird to think about but antartica is in some ways more accessible, and overall way less mountainous

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

dont tell me i cant climb holograms

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

Really? You had best tell all the people operating helicopters in the Alps. Not to mention the guy who landed one on the summit of Everest.

all of which have the various compromises and modifications he listed

helicopters are the most maintenance-intensive machines ever created. they're mind-bogglingly expensive to operate, and the cost to operate them for one-off use cases (like carrying people to a mountaintop in one of the most remote and hostile environments on earth) increases logarithmically the more further-removed you are from ordinary, routinely economically viable locations and use cases. those alpine helicopters could do it, if they and all their support infrastructure wasn't on the other side of an ocean.

the everest thing was so improbable that most people were certain it would never happen even if the math said it was on the edge of possibility

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

im doing my part

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

lol at first it looked like "maybe with the snow it wasn't even totaled" but then at the very end you see it off in the distance cartwheeling and oh dear

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

did the pilot know he was going to be found reckless or negligent or something, or does the army just automatically punish anyone who crashes like its iracing

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

I guess I should have expected the well akshually brigade when I mentioned everest. Yes it's not normal at 8848 but 3700m is totally routine, all the mountain huts around here are resupplied by helicopter and it's fine. Maybe your pilots suck?

Come to Zermatt and fly round the Matterhorn for a few bucks https://www.air-zermatt.ch/de

i dont have any pilots? wtf are you talking about

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

Yup sure that's the key sentence there

i am making a serious effort to take you seriously, as this is business of helicopter debate is very serious

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

ethanol posted:

Got a confession to make, I’m standing on top of a very tall cold mountain summit atm. Not looking like I’ll die today tho

skill issue

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

yeah there is no gbs space thread ever since the space nerds got afraid of jokes and left for the landlord forum

that lander is 100% a rich guy fucks up and eats poo poo, even if nobody died. right thread imo

e: wait, they're in sal, not bfc. the children of landlords forum then

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 29, 2024

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

I feel like the issue with a space forum in GBS is that it would immediately turn into an Elon-posting thread and then all the space regulars (myself included) would abandon it

you are aware that gbs has rules and mods again, yes?

e: and an elon thread

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

thats a good point. the gbs elon thread is a cesspit and the actual space thread sometimes struggles to stay on track and avoid hate bonering over elon. im considering starting a gbs space thread as i would definitely follow it closely and could moderate it but yeah i dunno. i;ll think on it

:justpost:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

McSpanky posted:

Far be it from me to interrupt a smug atheist slamfest, but is the cutting revelation at work here "I don't believe in things I haven't personally witnessed"?

PostNouveau posted:

Mmhmm yep that's what I'm saying, for sure

Anne Whateley posted:

Yes, that exact thing is a major feature of Piraha culture. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirah%E3_people That wasn’t known before the mission because no outsider really spoke the language before he did.

It’s a really interesting mindset, part of their general lack of focus on the past and the future. Definitely recommend the guy’s memoir, Don’t Sleep, There Are Snakes.

While the whole missionary thing didn’t work out so great, I wouldn’t say his life was wasted. He’s done a ton of work on very rare languages, documenting them, developing orthographies, becoming the first outside speaker of Piraha, etc. He’s very famous in linguistics circles, is a college professor, and has an enjoyable feud with Chomsky
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Everett

absolute banger three-post combo lmao

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

iirc the first solid evidence we have of counting comes after agriculture. it may just be that without a surplus to trade with a nonfamily outgroup, numbers aren't necessary. there's "enough" and "not enough" and thats... enough.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah I’m sorry the detail got so big. Unfortunately it would make a terrible gbs thread because it would just get “lol they dumb” shitposts for a couple pages.

If anyone actually reads the book, DM me and we can try to set up a thread in the Book Barn I guess

gently caress you, just post

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Leviathan Song posted:

Pre-agricultural societies still want to track the lunar cycle for tides and how much light you have at night. Knowing when to go down to the tidelands to dig up clams or whether you'll be able to keep persistence hunting something after sundown are very useful.

sure, but that doesn't require counting. it requires looking up and seeing the moon is waxing

polynesians navigated across open ocean by the stars without sextants or charts, they just did it with practice and passed it on through apprenticeship. just because we use numbers to communicate an idea now doesn't mean that's the only way to do it.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

the lunar cycle and the menstural cycle both being 28 days is very convenient, I dunno if anthropologists mention it but I bet those societies knew that if Brenda started her last period three days past the last new moon, and she's having her period now, they know pretty closely what the phase of the moon is today

also if it's too overcast to see the moon it's too overcast to hunt after sunset and the next high tide is gonna be almost exactly one half day after the previous

the menstrual cycle being "28 days" is a convenient (for early 20th century male physiologists, primarily) average and not anything you should set a clock to

e: d'oh

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 9, 2024

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

did homer ever climb everest. that seems like a homer adventure from like season 10-16?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Rat Patrol posted:

Yeah periods "sync up" in the same way your turn signal will sync up with the car's in front of you: they just overlap after a while because they're slightly different. Only with blinkers they fall in and out of sync quickly, periods are slower so they can stay lined up for longer, feeding the illusion

if a lady has a bulb out does her menstrual cycle go twice as fast

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

hell yeah, the counting and menstruation ULTRATHRRAD

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

that doesn't prove anything all they show is the abstract. No control, no further tests. It's worthless

academic monetization strikes again. the menses must flow in perfect harmony

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

if you have any interesting climbing content please make forthwith

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

e: mistaek

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

Does GBS really need 2 menstruation threads? Seems redundant.

sat da FACK APP

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

they're supposed to reuse the poop bags? what

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Space Jam posted:

freezing to death with a backpack full of your own poo poo

lmao oh dear

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

-post instagram selfies drinking espresso on everest
-die anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

jesus christ, the tent is so he can keep going to the office while training isn't it