Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Platystemon posted:

The helicopter stunt was its own challenge and I respect it more than I respect the achievement of the first vegan with a peanut allergy who paid Sherpas to drag them to the top.

It’s almost not hypocritical to appreciate both footraces and car races, while still maintaining that intentional oxygen/water deprivation is silly.

I prefer to acknowledge that carrying up oxygen is a little bit like training wheels, while still maintaining that climbing up Everest is silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Tetramin posted:

Is it climbing season already!!!! My wallet! I hope to see plenty of dead body pictures this year :D

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Platystemon posted:

I should add that the early decades of Everest’s climbing history, oxygen apparatuses were heavier and more failure prone‐than they are today, and the practice itself was experimental. What’s it like to climb with oxygen? You’re the guinea pig.

Choosing to go without oxygen was a reasonable call. It wasn’t about bragging rights.

It's 100% about bragging rights. That's why there's a "climbed Everest" and a "climbed Everest without supplemental oxygen" category.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
About 200 metres, and it would be infinitely funnier for K2 to be the highest mountain

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Stunt_enby posted:

you could also gas the everest thread and ban the bloodthirsty psychos who lust for death but hide behind a thin veneer of class warfare. this is something you, as a moderator, have the power to do to make your community a more positive place :)

Report and move on

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Probably better measurement.

The earthquake took down some big chunks of rock, but nothing right at the top, unfortunately. We were all hoping for Everest to get demoted

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I think Kodak or someone said they have a process ready to go that might be able to.

No guarantees though

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I see that climbing stat parroted back a lot, and it seems off, but I haven't said anything, because I haven't spent the time to fact check it.

But here, I'll say it: That's either entirely bullshit, or only technically correct

I'm a climber, and have taught many friends how to climb. I would describe a 5.10 as a moderately hard beginner route. I wouldn't ever expect someone to climb one their first time, but by session 10 probably, anyone in decent shape can do it. So if it actually was a 5.10, I don't see that being a problem for experienced mountaineers in ideal conditions. Obviously it's not ideal, but still plausible for Mallory to have been capable. It is not reasonable to completely dismiss the possibility.

Now, the technically correct possibility: 5.10 is part of the Yosemite Decimal System, and it was developed in the 30s primarily. So yeah, in the 20s-30s, only a handful of people had ever "officially" climbed a 5.10.
That's a dumb argument, however, and hopefully that's not what Anker was saying.

e: I didn't see that it was a 5.10c, which is harder than beginner. The point stands that it's a high intermediate grade, still well within the abilities of an experienced mountaineer

ante fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 12, 2020

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

gohuskies posted:

Having climbed six of the seven summits does not make you a skilled climber. All but Denali and Everest are just hikes of varying degrees of strenuousness, and even Denali doesn't have any technical climbing.

That's a very armchair-expert position to take

No one said she was on Ueli's level, but if you've summited 6 of the highest peaks in the world, chances are you know your way around mountaineering gear.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

gohuskies posted:

I am certain that I personally am a more skilled mountaineer than 99% of the people who are guided up Aconcagua.

So? lol
Congrats, bud

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
There's no way Honnold is done, those people don't do that

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'll take "Dumbest reasons to climb" for 500, please, Alex.

I'd argue that most of human exploration is due to this, at its core

There's a reason most adventurers / thrill seekers are men. They are all tremendous horndogs that want a good bar story

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Trying to get your dick wet, all the way to the Americas

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Paradoxical undressing is the obvious and likely answer to why some of them were stripped down, so that adds to the "spooky" factor, but really isn't a mystery

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

emf posted:

poo poo

I've probably got a couple years here in bf-nowhere, USA if it hasn't been a fad yet for too long.

i hope

Are big climbing parks a thing like with mountain biking? If not, I wish I had some capital ...

edit; all this talk about winter camping is making my bones hurt so much I've decided to run a hot bath

Yeah, they're called Yosemite or Squamish

It's weird how tech people have gravitated towards climbing.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Rinkles posted:

they sent people out to fend for themselves in bear territory? i find that hard to believe.

I find this post weirdly adorable

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Rinkles posted:

i think they care about money (being liable)

I don't know where you live, but in the PNW it's literally not possible to be in an area with no bears. You will encounter them at some point if you spend a good amount of time outdoors. But also, they're not Revenant-style murder machines, as long as you're not an idiot, they're almost always harmless*

*there are obviously a lot of caveats here that I'm skipping over

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

theflyingexecutive posted:

to airdrop a crate of wolverines on them.

holy gently caress I'd watch that

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
That's totally the best part, and the midwesterners who have never seen the damp before.

It's filmed really close to where I live, so I get to feel all smug about being comfortable in that kind of environment.

Seems like after the initial week-long-cull of the unprepared, it's the isolation that gets to people and causes them to tap out.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Naked and Afraid is decent and all in pairs. The interpersonal stuff is definitely what makes or breaks those teams

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

emf posted:

I :stare:-watched the first season and am putting together a group-watch speed-run with activities for my peeps so we can all enjoy the schadenfreude.
, and the guy who loses his flint and when he find out it fell in the fire he just built, puts the fire out to look for it in the ashes rather than planning on keeping a fire going and preparing materials for an emergency restart.

I don't think he made a mistake there. Looking for his fire starter was a good move, and he had to do it. After he couldn't find it, he still survived another three weeks using friction fires, and eventually tapped out due to loneliness, which I think is impressive. Not like that idiot on season 1 that just lost his firestarter, and immediately freaked out and called for an evacuation instead of attempting to recover

S2 spoiler

ante fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 15, 2021

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Almost like we evolved to seek out groups of other people for some reason

makes u think

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

PostNouveau posted:

I wonder how much you make just for going there.

I'd be freaked out by wild animals too, and the people who leave Day 1 have run-ins with bears, so I don't want to suggest they were just taking a check and running ... but also what's the payout for getting off the boat and then calling a few hours later like "Oh poo poo bears are real close come get me"?

I still keep thinking about that guy earlier in the thread who was like, "Yeah, drop basically untrained randos in the woods with no food, sure. Don't even bother with a camera man, no problem. Three hours away from help, even if you're bleeding out? Totally reasonable. Bears? Oh poo poo, must be staged."

I can't wrap my head around that rationale, the best I can come up with is that, say, Floridans or Texans who have nothing like those animals have seen The Revenant one too many times, so they just assume all bears are murder machines. And the producers have to give them bear training, but they think an encounter is like, a remote possibility, only for legal reasons. So as soon as they see bear on day one, they flip the gently caress out.

That's the only mental gymnastic I can come up with where that makes any kind of sense.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I dunno if they do this or not, but they should totally pay the contestants on Alone for every second of footage that actually makes it onto the show.

Would encourage everyone to take lots of cool and interesting footage. Some of the contestants don't really even appear for some of the early episodes while there are still 10 people, so I wonder if it's bad footage, or boring people.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Cojawfee posted:

That would just encourage people to do stupid, dangerous poo poo in hopes of getting on the show more.

Not seeing an issue here

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
So on season 7, where they have a host talk to the contestants at the end of the show... Are we not going to talk about how he's clearly set his Zoom background to a generic workshop in order to seem more rugged?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Caesar Saladin posted:

That host is actually the guy who came in second on season 2 so obviously he really knows what he's talking about lmao

Nah, Wikipedia says he was a Survivor contestant

And yeah, Seasons 6 and 7 are the best. I think the Canadian Shield environment is actually the best / easiest of the three. There's no constant damp infesting everything like the PNW, and food resources are relatively rich, unlike the Patagonia area. Which makes for better TV.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
The producer is obviously hanging out in the nearest town so that they can tap out contestants within a few hours, too. So I bet he's just in a hotel, reviewing the previous week's footage from everyone and picking out interesting bits. Extremely efficient

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
How long does it take you to read a book?

A Kindle has a month long battery life though sometimes

E: or can maybe use the camera batteries with some cleverness

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I've actually tried to do that and never been able to make it work

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
The problem was that it's a very large amount of energy, but only very briefly. Not long enough to catch even dry tinder, really. The ferrorod works because there's a shower of sparks for a relatively long period of time

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
That happened on Naked and Afraid. Someone got caught raiding the film crew's tent

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
How can you be so stupid as to drive a car

Don't you know how dangerous that is

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Just fuckin' ice and climbing boots everywhere the native flora and fauna is hosed

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Thank you for you contribution

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
It wouldn't be one dipshit just deciding to climb Everest, though. It takes a community.

The things that enable modern people to do it are the people setting up fixed lines, the established camps, the tribal knowledge of routes, the oxygen, stockpiled and stash supplies, and modern gear.

Sure, some crazy assholes have done it without one or two of those things, but not without every single one. It wouldn't be one lone wolf deciding to climb Everest, it would be an entire community of subsidy farmers deciding to support one dickhead for a vanity project over several years.

I can't see it happening, particularly because climbing it "because it's there" is a very modern vanity thing to do. You go back three hundred years and people will think you're an idiot for even bothering.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Dan Osman left ropes on the crag overnight and then jumped off using them with no inspection

If you're doing something that requires replacing a rope every few weeks, I, uh, don't even know where to start with that one. You're either doing something incredibly irresponsible, incredibly wrong, or incredibly exciting

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Find a bouldering gym, it's way accessible

Also maybe frustratingly hard at first, but power through and you'll find that there's a huge puzzle aspect to it, it's fun

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

honda whisperer posted:

I'd never considered it before but it's true. The ONLY exception in my case is my mom. She hates that I'm into motorsports. Everyone else? What's the fastest you've ever gone is question 1.

And how fast?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
An easy benchmark is the death zone - At about 8000m (out of a total 8950m) you enter the death zone, which you can realistically survive being in for maybe 24 hours. You can get in and out of that zone in less time on Everest, but too much taller and you wouldn't be able to. Also, I'd guess that time frame drops the deathier you go into the death zone.

Supplemental oxygen would help with that, but you can only take so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I wonder if anyone has tried weaving thin, flexible solar panels into their outerwear to charge small batteries to heat the inside of their suits. For that matter I wonder if any of that is even possible or practical yet.

No.

Or, at least, solar panels won't do anything. Sun directly heating you is 100% efficient already. Batteries that are just big enough to heat you for a couple days probably already exist. But I don't think heating is much of an issue. Those huge survival suits seem to be fine, as long as you don't try to sleep out in the open.