Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
From Serial Productions, Nice White Parents is a limited series that tackles the unspoken issue of why black and brown kids struggle in school. The answer won't surprise you!

Debuts July 30th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Edward Mass posted:

From Serial Productions, Nice White Parents is a limited series that tackles the unspoken issue of why black and brown kids struggle in school. The answer won't surprise you!

Debuts July 30th.

What a laughably racist premise.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The reason black and brown kids are struggling in school is because of said Nice White Parents.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

wooger posted:

What a laughably racist premise.

thanks Andrew Sullivan, but don't you have a Quillette article to write

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The first episode seems to be kind of standalone and I thought it was extremely well done.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
The whole series ended up being very well done even with the disjointed ending. It’s worth a listen also not.... racist what the hell is happening in this thread

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I'm guessing that synopsis in the OP is tongue-and-cheek and certain people didn't catch that.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
"the answer won't surprise you" is written from the perspective of the modern viewer, who already thinks the answer is "racism" and not "cause they're stupid"

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Grondoth posted:

"the answer won't surprise you" is written from the perspective of the modern viewer, who already thinks the answer is "racism" and not "cause they're stupid"

I figured that much I’m just surprised someone could consider it laughably racist or not understand that a serial production probably wouldn’t be racist in nature

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Veskit posted:

I figured that much I’m just surprised someone could consider it laughably racist or not understand that a serial production probably wouldn’t be racist in nature

Blaming the ills of the education system on a specific racial group is racist, and you can easily demonstrate that the title is racist by swapping in the word black.

It’s also obviously not true - do the higher achieving Asian students and their parents not make the exact same decisions for the exact same reasons?

The highly localised funding system is what has caused such a disparity in schools - not the evils of parents.

Nationalised funding & willingness to drop more money and inject competent teachers into failing schools could be a way to fix it.

You can’t blame any parent for acting in their child’s best interests in having a better education, and moving house / applying to the preferred school to accomplish that.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wooger posted:

Blaming the ills of the education system on a specific racial group is racist, and you can easily demonstrate that the title is racist by swapping in the word black.

gently caress outta here

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

wooger posted:

You can’t blame any parent for acting in their child’s best interests in having a better education, and moving house / applying to the preferred school to accomplish that.

That’s actually a conceit in the podcast. No one parent is consciously a bad actor. But the collective action has dire consequences.

Also GTFO with that “reverse racism” horseshit.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

wooger posted:

It’s also obviously not true - do the higher achieving Asian students and their parents not make the exact same decisions for the exact same reasons?

The highly localised funding system is what has caused such a disparity in schools - not the evils of parents.

Nationalised funding & willingness to drop more money and inject competent teachers into failing schools could be a way to fix it.

its impossible to be racist against white people

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

wooger posted:

On top of all the dog whistle retoric I feel like you just walked in to give a hot take without listening, which is like.... the entire point the show is trying to talk about in how the most racist voices are the loudest also..

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

scary ghost dog posted:

its impossible to be racist against white people

This is insane gibberish, read a dictionary.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

wooger posted:

ive read the dictionary hundreds of times

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

wooger posted:

That’s a Trumpian level insult.

Also they’re right about that impossible thing brah

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
you, a racist idiot: reads articles and listens to podcasts

me, a stable genius: reads the dictionary

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I'm guessing that synopsis in the OP is tongue-and-cheek and certain people didn't catch that.

Yeah, I guess I could've been clearer. Unless you've never heard of Serial, you might think this podcast might have been made by those same White Parents! It's not, though.

Nice White Parents was pretty good, even with the 'wait, hold on, what?' kind of ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I loved this podcast, and I'm happy to see there is a thread for it even if it's kind of low content right now. One of the things that really stood out to me was the huge gulf in goals between what the white parents wanted from a school and what the POC parents wanted out of it. The white parents were constantly talking about integration as an end goal. Just make a school with a mixture of different races and national origins and viola you have a good school! For them, they already knew their children were going to have good educational outcomes, so everything they were working towards was some kind of white-woke bonus round. Meanwhile the POC parents were just saying all they wanted was a school that had good funding, working bathrooms, and good educational outcomes, and they couldn't have given less of poo poo if that involved integrated schools or not. It was an absolutely amazing podcast and really interesting to listen to since I grew up in the South where the schools had been forcefully integrated and school-choice was absolutely not allowed, so most of the schools were already mixed-race and equally funded.