Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
One Hammer flask should last like 4 hours of high-Z2 riding.

For long road races, I usually also fill two bottles with a high carb mix like Skratch Superfuel, SiS Beta Fuel or just going double concentration on SiS Go.

Stuff with proteins and amino acids in them? Meh. If I'm riding that far, that long, I'd more than likely stop for real food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

former glory posted:

It looks to be this exact system here:

Last mention of it is about the time the company disappeared: https://bikerumor.com/2015/08/21/williams-introduces-new-system-38-carbon-clincher-to-compliment-their-58-and-85mm-wheelsets/

Pictured on the bike itself:

I've already got the tool that lets me take off the cassette, so I'm wondering if I need any non-standard tool or adapter specific to the hub. I haven't used the cassette tool in a while, but I think it was like a bolt adapter that let me take a wrench to it to pop it off.

The cartridge bearings are going to be stuck in there with a tight interference fit. If you have a blind-hole bearing puller, that would be ideal. Otherwise you can improvise something to tap the bearings out very carefully.

As for pressing the bearings in, again you could probably improvise a bearing press, but having the correct drifts would be best...

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
ENVE, Zipp and Reynolds are the only brands with lifetime free crash/damage replacement.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

hemale in pain posted:

I got a puncture and fixed it with a plug but should i bother doing anything further to repair it at home? it held pressure fine for like 60km and all i've done now is cut it down a bit so it's sticking out a little less. I'll put more sealant in when i can be bothered of course.

Not unless it becomes dislodged somehow. The cut-off end will squash down pretty well over time.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Bud Manstrong posted:

For road wheels. Santa Cruz, We Are One, and Nobl offer similar policies for mountain rims. Ibis has a seven-year warranty for rims damaged during riding. I went through the process with Reynolds, and it was easy. I wouldn’t buy carbon wheels without a similar policy.

ENVE's damage replacement is "no questions asked." Santa Cruz / Reserve only cover riding damage, with an unspecified discount for non-warranty replacements. Nobl and We Are One cover non-riding damage at 50% off.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 29, 2020

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

ElMaligno posted:

Lake Tahoe Maybe?

Nope, Tahoe has a 72mi circumference. Quite deep though.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

rope kid posted:

Again, I feel like I am losing my mind. I am building up a Crust Romeo with disc brakes. I have no experience with disc brakes and I cannot decipher by looking at the fork and rear triangle whether I need flat or post mount. The pictures I have seen of built up frames all have adapters (maybe just a Paul Klamper thing??), which is further confusing me. Assistance appreciated.

2020 has the world upside down.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

hemale in pain posted:

Let people pass if you're on quiet one lane country roads. don't fight drivers or chase drivers or do any dumb poo poo like that. it's all too much hassle and they'll just think you're an insane twat.

Inevitably you'll probably get hit by a car at some point. I've been winged a few times and even if the driver hits and runs the police don't give a crap so just don't worry about it honestly and just ride bikes.

Clarification is probably good here.

If a quiet country road has one lane in each direction, the motorist should switch lanes completely to make the pass. If it's a truly narrow road, then occupy the lane until they have slowed, then move to the side when it is safe to do so. I tend to ride near the shoulder, but still make myself wide enough so a driver is discouraged from passing. Motorists usually understand than I will give them room when it is appropriate to do so. I also hold my hand out and down, palm facing backward to make sure the driver gets the point, then give them a thumb-up when it's safe to pass.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
The worst thing is when I take off arm warmers and don't notice that the TICKR FIT slides off with it. Luckily it doesn't ever fall to the ground and stays inside the arm warmer...I just get random HR reporting in the low 100s for that duration.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

e.pilot posted:

How is that any different than a normal ride?

Tru.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Buy two sizes down with a -17deg 140mm stem.

This is the way.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

spf3million posted:

Now that I have clipless pedals, I still rarely do any kind of pulling around from 6-12 o'clock unless I'm actively thinking about it. I also assume that if I were to practice enough eventually it would become more natural.

My problem is that when I do pull through the bottom of the pedal stroke and up, it puts a lot more pressure on my sit bones (seems obvious). Over long rides, eventually all of my contact points get over the threshold into the painful category to some degree. Adding the pull seems like it will more than double the cumulative load on my sit bones. I thinking about this right? Any way around this? I feel like my fit is pretty good since I'm not sore in my back or neck after 17 hours in the saddle.

You’re not supposed to pull from 6-12 o’clock, and it shouldn’t feel like pulling. The goal is simply to unweight the pedals so you aren’t wasting any any of the force put out by the leg currently on the downstroke.

We aren’t robots, our legs aren’t designed to apply a constant amount of force around a circle, and it’s not something that should be your goal unless you want 1) thicc calves and 2) to be slower on a bike. The one exception is full neuro/sprint efforts where you are way past your aerobic threshold and just trying to recruit every muscle , including those in your core and arms to propel you forward.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

spf3million posted:

Cool thanks everyone. Maybe I'm not as bad off as I thought. Typical training ride I'm round 90 rpm. 80-85 rpm is probably closer to my natural not-thinking-about-it cadence when I'm fresh. And the longer the ride, the slower my cadence gets.

The power meters report pedal smoothness at ~20% and torque effectiveness around 65-70%. These seem average? I guess what got me thinking was that I rarely if ever feel like I'm using my hamstrings at all. I'll try the scrap the poo poo off method. I do also have a fixie which I rarely ride, maybe a good excuse to pull it out more often.

This is another trap. Cadence depends on power output. I have no need to maintain 90-95rpm when I’m at 60% or even 80% of FT. I only hit mid 90s rpm once I reach FT, and I actually hit 100-105 when I am past VO2max. If I’m in Z3, I’m probably around 85rpm...Z2 probably 80rpm or lower.

65-70% TE is pretty bad though, so maybe you aren’t doing a very good job of unweighting the pedal on the upstroke at all. I would say anything in the mid 80% is good for TE. Mid 20% for PS is good. My TE is 87-88% on some days, 90-91% on other days. PS ranges from 21-27%. These numbers change depending on how hard I’m riding. The harder the ride, the more efficient my pedaling is forced to be. If I’m just noodling around, the percentages will be quite low.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

sokatoah posted:

My road rim brakes can cause my tires to lock up and skid, wet or dry. Once i'm skidding, what's the advantage of more braking power from discs?

I can lock up coaster brakes or a brakeless fixie. What's the advantage of rim brakes?

--

A short list of some real answers:

With rim brakes, your rim is a consumable.
Disc brakes provide better modulation.
Disc brakes perform the same in all conditions. (Don't use the same braking points with carbon rims and rim brakes in the rain.)
Rim brakes, steep descents and carbon clinchers is bad juju.
Rim brakes, steep descents, alloy rims and latex tubes is bad juju.
Disc brakes allow for wider tires without sacrificing brake design / leverage.
Disc brakes do not care if your wheel isn't true.
Disc brakes do not care if the edge of your rim is a bit chewed up.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 9, 2020

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

nm posted:

Rim Brakes are prettier.
:colbert:

That's like just, like, your opinion, man.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Nah, hybrids suck, but fitness bikes are great.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Twerk from Home posted:

What’s the distinction?

Bet you don't know how to use the three sea shells either.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

EvilJoven posted:

They're talking bikes with 700*40ish tires and suspension forks like the Giant Roam series which yes suck compared to modern air forks you'd find on the MTB you take to Whistler but are fine for someone that wants basically an entry level light duty bike and would prefer some squish to their ride at the cost of some extra weight.

I was making a joke about a distinction that doesn’t really exist. Hybrid bikes and fitness bikes are the exact same thing. Some have suspension forks. Some don’t.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Andy Dufresne posted:

I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow while I buy some shoes but I won't walk out with it. The pictures look good to me though.

I'm in the conundrum of my existing bike being old and bad and I've already got the money set aside for my new ride. The three bikes I've focused on so far are that Tarmac, this Canyon, and this Madone. The red Madone is in stock about 30 miles away but tbh I like the yellow one more. I'm all ears for other bikes in the range I should look at. Genuinely not afraid of aggressive positioning or a stiff ride, I just want to go fast and eventually clip on some tri bars (Canyon has previously made tri bars for that cockpit but I'm not sure if they still do).

I know you said aggressive geometry is fine, but make sure to double-check... The Aeroad is particularly long and low in most sizes. Also while aero bikes do chase some real wattage savings, the majority of the aero drag comes from the rider...then the cockpit and wheels. Putting deep wheels and an integrated aero bar/stem on the SL7 is primarily how they made it "as fast as a Venge." You *will* feel the extra weight of the Madone SL when riding up hills.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 12, 2020

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The current Aeroad handlebars CANNOT be used with clip ons, not even the ones canyon made for the old aeroad. They're just too fragile.

You can get pseudo-clip ons for both Trek and Specialized, but tbh if it's something I was going for I'd put some decent round bars on the Tarmac and then the clip-on world is my oyster. Benefits of having a normal shaped stem.

[edit]

Also there's a new aeroad coming January February June July August at some point soon

The Madone’s “clip ons” are a replacement faceplate for the stem, then you can mount the Speed Concept hardware on it (either with their proprietary bars or a more traditional adapter.)

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

yoohoo posted:

I have cleaned a helmet exactly zero times.

Strange and disgusting boast.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

McCracAttack posted:

Thank you for peppering in a serious reply. :sweatdrop:

Just don’t use water that’s borderline too hot. It can soften/dissolve the adhesive that holds the velcro bits for your pads in place.

Also it might just be me, but I hate wearing anything in the shower. I just always wash my helmet and HRM after a ride. If I plan on reusing a pair of gloves, I handwash those two.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Cervelo S5 Disc.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Quite A Tool posted:

My wife recently got a Journeyman and I wanted something to ride with her. I prefer MTB so after a few weeks of trying to track down a decent deal on a used hardtail with little luck I said gently caress it I'll get a gravel/road bike for now, the hardtail can wait till next season. Went to the LBS and they had a Norco Search XR A2 in stock that fit. I went home to think on it, at which point my wife basically shooed me back out of the house and told me to just loving buy it.

Unloaded in the carport.

Inside of the fork is pretty neat.

Getting ready to go on the maiden voyage.

gently caress.

gently caress.

Guess it'll have to wait till tomorrow.

I actually took it around the block real quick when I got it home, but the tires needed more air, so brought 'em up to 50psi, hopped on and made it about 3 feet before this happened, spraying sealant all over the side of the house and my car. Pretty bummed but still psyched about the new bike and can't wait to get out there.

Are those particular Schwalbe G-One Bite RG tires actually tubeless? I don’t see any TLE branding on the sidewall.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 17, 2020

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

ElMaligno posted:

Also is there such a thing as an Endurance/Gravel Bike???

Most gravel bikes already have reach/stack values that are more upright than endurance road bikes. There's also racier gravel bikes and ones that start approaching MTB geometry as well.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

bicievino posted:

Wait, really?
Is it just like... cutting the sidewall as a result?

I pinched two GP5Ks and one Fusion 5 Galactik in races on massive potholes. One of them left a small score mark in my rim. It’s the same as with tubed tires, except the two punctures are on the sidewall and they are very difficult to seal.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Arson Daily posted:

So I'm ignorant about tubeless tires, why would that be the way to go? Wouldn't I still get flats?

Goatheads specifically are pretty much a non issue with tubeless. You could pick up a dozen goatheads and probably lose 1psi.

hemale in pain posted:

Supposedly tubeless has less rolling resistance too but not sure about that

I mean it’s repeatedly been proven in testing on rollers and outdoors. The fastest 4 tires on BicycleRollingResistance.com are tubeless.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

What does everyone do about horses around here?

Not this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSa5ySgLsSg

Usually on our group rides, we slow right the f’ down and proceed single file at about 15mph, switching to the complete other side of the small roads being utilized. On really MTB trails, I feel like you should just stop completely and wait... no need to get off the bike.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 19, 2020

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Assiomas I’d you don’t mind Look cleats. Quarq DZero or Power2Max NG Eco if you do mind.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

You're kind of a moron.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Every step you take, watching flooring break. And then slipping and dying.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Guinness posted:

and into the tube

I see the problem.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

X13Fen posted:

It's totally reasonable to justify a new bike for motivation purposes, right?

Just wish I could actually afford one right now!

Got a reminder the other day my current bike turned five too. This has been a very slack year for me. Think I've only gone for a ride twice all year... (hence new bike = motivation)

Ride your current bike.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

I probably wouldn't seek out a new set of tubeless tires and wheels for only a road bike. It will give you added resistance to small punctures, but at a pretty big expense.
If you're talking >35mm tires, then it's def worth it.

I would if I was chronically puncturing on a road bike. Shimano RS100s are like $140 and RS500s are $300. There's a bunch of options in between.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Having the steerer integrated into the stem and the fork clamping onto the steerer seems idiotic... like rim brakes in 2020.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

e.pilot posted:

If my countless hours in bridge builder have taught me anything, the gussets on the crank are backwards and will be real collapsey under any kind of big watts

Or the trusses/triangles are oriented the right way. We've just been riding bicycles backward the whole time.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

nm posted:

I don't think those cranks had many issues except the splines stripping. Admittedly, that failure may have prevented any long term issues from coming up.

he's talking about the diagonal braces in the spider. They should be joining the opposite corners.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

bicievino posted:

Below $800 no import duty.

And even when you do order >$800 in goods, the chances of getting dinged with import duties are surprisingly low.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Urzza posted:

I'm looking to get a bike for general fitness and biking to work. I'm looking at the Trek Dual Sport 3. It's in my targeted price range, looks like it does what I want it to do, and their a store nearby that mainly stocks Trek. Do you guys have any other ideas that I should take a look at? I live in California, the bay area.

That or an FX 3 Disc if you’re going to end up buying from the local Trek shop. Just be aware that hybrid/fitness bikes in common sizes are probably not in stock anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Suicide Watch posted:

Bummer about the stolen bike. The one night I spent in Fresno was more than enough. Do you need to replace a broken window too?

The hotel in Merced I stayed at for a race back in February would disable its automatic sliding doors at like 9 PM.