Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
If we're talking about party pedals then I'd highly recommend those to anyone that's interested. The whole "what happens if you step on the wrong side" is one of those things that only people without party pedals think of as a problem. The only reason I stopped using them was because of all the pedal strike issues I started getting cuz I was messing around on soft trails too much. Also, I tend to do all my chill cruising in spd sandals now so that removes my incentive to putting party pedals back on as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Looks like Fooker brand pedals to me.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I managed my first pf bottom bracket installation. Maybe the creaking will finally go away? There's all sorts of loctite in there too. It's supposed to cure in 24 hours, but I figure I'll just give it the weekend before I do anything else.

Lord help me if that's not the solution to the creaking.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

becoming posted:

Gonna start riding my bikes in caves, gently caress yes. Is r/cavecycling a thing yet, and if not, which one of us is starting it?
I got ya, right here. Enjoy!

While I'm already posting, Raccmer sizing question. If I wear a medium Pactimo Ascent do I get a medium Eat Trash jersey too? Cuz that design is great and I also need that in my life.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 10, 2020

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Oh hell yeah.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Turmoilx posted:

i hear they ride in the snow and that's cool i live in iowa so my winters suck.. not as much as some people but we usually get snow and i like the idea of being able to ride along a shore and pretty much having an all rounder the style is appealing to me too since i always liked dirt bikes/motorcycles i think it would maybe feel similar i don't know i've only practiced some on a motorcycle so far
Hi, I'm an Iowa fat bike rider. It's cool poo poo and works pretty well for the winters. I ride a Farley 7 and use mine all year round as well. The Farley 5 is good stuff and will definitely get you riding this winter. I think newer models come with 27.5 wheels and 3.8" tires. Older models came with 26 wheels and 4.6" tires. The difference doesn't really matter except that in the warmer months the newer models will feel better in dirt for your "all rounder" purposes.

I'm not sure exactly where you're located, but I think lots of places are grooming mtb trails in the winter now so it's good to know the ins and outs of what that means for you. Feel free to ask any questions at all if you aren't sure. I *think* $1400 is pretty decent for a new Farley 5, but I probably need to go back and check the specs.

Edit: What year are you looking at? Got a link for the used one?

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 16, 2020

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Turmoilx posted:

it looks like a 2019 model
I'm not crazy about a 1x10 drivetrain, but I'm happy to see the 5 doesn't come with the heavy rear end steel fork anymore. If that used one is in good condition that'd be a good entry level fatty purchase.

quote:

i like the idea of putting some smooth tires on it too for bike path riding..smooth tires and being big i think that would feel good
I would say it's not worth the effort. It's not gonna be a fast bike with slicks on it and it'll probably only be imperceptibly slower with the gnarwals. Leave the knobby tires on and have fun riding that bike over anything you want at any time.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Turmoilx posted:

i have confirmed it's a 2019 model gonna pick it up tomorrow likely after a 3 hour drive and about the 10 gear thing, i heard you can add more is that true? its also already tubeless which is nice

down the road if its compatible front suspension forks if i want and more gears are things i have the idea to do
Front suspension on a fatty is totally not needed for you because you live in Iowa and will be rolling around on 4.5" tires. It's added weight and complexity that will never see use for its intended purpose.

The 1x10 falls in the category of absolutely fine. You could bump it up to a 1x11 or 1x12, but it wouldn't be worth the expense. Another option is going to a 2x10 system which might be a reasonable price depending on exactly how that one is currently set up. In the end, you should only start considering that kind of upgrade for this bike when you've ran in to a situation where your gearing was actually detrimental to you. If you're cruising around town on pavement or on Iowa mtb trails you aren't likely to see that happen. All in all, you're gonna be pretty happy with that bike and doubly so once we get some snow on the ground.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Double posting because I'm busy loudly outing myself as an Iowan. Exactly one day before the derecho came and destroyed the middle of my state I peaced out to get married by the ocean. As a precursor to that I rented a bike and drove around New Hampshire so I could do two of the local climbs. Mt Washington was the dream, but they only allow bikes up that road one day each year and this year it was cancelled. Instead I rode Hurricane Mt Road and Kearsarge Mt Road.

Maybe I should have been more specific when I did my rental because having 34x28 as my lowest gear was far from optimal for the multiple sections of 20% or more grades on these climbs. Yikes. I probably would have died somewhere in the middle of Mt Washington if I attempted that climb on this bike. I also managed to not completely glaze my brake pads when descending either so I was happy about that too.

It was just a little shy of 30 miles (17 top, 12 bottom) and a little short of 5000' overall for both rides. I can't get those numbers at home.

I don't get sights like these at home either.

Not much to say other than I really like when I get the chance to ride something I can't do at home and also that MY WIFE is totally cool with me disappearing for 75% of the day so I can do cool bike stuff.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Hell yeah.

A word on pressure. Here's where I lean for different surfaces with similar sized tires to you.
Pavement, 10+
Smooth dirt, 9
Rough dirt, 7-8
Snow/ice, 3-4

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
You in the Waterloo area? Cuz I'm happy to help if you're near by.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Turmoilx posted:

i'm not near that, davenport here. ok i think i have become a pro at putting air in my tires now, im going to guess the front tire is just extremely new and the sealant i can actually hear in there so i pumped the front to 18 (20 max) and the rear to 23 (25 max) now i need to ride it to seal it up i guess ..yay
It also helps to take the wheel off the bike and shake it around while rotating in circles.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
One thing I like about the 1up style is that you get a bit of wiggle room for bike positioning. You can move the bikes forwards/backwards a bit and it goes a long way towards making sure multiple bikes can fit around each other with no problems. I'm just waiting for them to get off of backorder so I can get my order in for an Equip-D.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
My cygolite 360 died last week and it was a devastating loss for me. I didn't know it when I bought it six years ago, but headlights that can be ran indefinitely on external power are incredibly rare. Most major brands can't run and charge simultaneously, but for the few that can they still don't charge faster than the depletion rate. Of course the big solution is a dynamo system, but I only needed the indefinite running thing a few times a year so that was a tiny bit of overkill.

Then a buddy messaged me about this sale and how perfect was that timing?! A good price on what appears so far to be a solid enough headlight. 2 amp USB c changing will keep things topped up when needed. And hopefully the charging port itself won't give up the ghost after six years (which is ultimately what killed my 360).

If Serfas actually sucks lemme know so I don't get my hopes up with this light. If they don't suck then jump on that deal if you need a light. The light I received from them was clearly an open box item, but everything was there and it's in great shape.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Now I’m wondering if the Metro and Ranger I have charge while in use. The blinking light turns solid but who knows if that means anything.
They will, but only the newer Metro Pro models charge fast enough to run SteadyPulse forever. I think some of them work with low mode, but I don't recall the numbers off the top of my head.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

The Ranger is “above” the metro pro I believe, not sure if that changes anything. It does charge quick though.
I checked and you're right. Steadypulse world do the trick.

code:

Run Times
Boost: 1:15 hrs
High: 2 hrs
Med: 3 hrs
Low: 9 hrs
SteadyPulse: 4 hrs
Zoom: 4 hrs
Triple Flash: 25 hrs
DayLightning Flash: 15 hrs
Walking: 30 hrs
Charge Time: 3:30 hrs

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 26, 2020

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Trash miles?

Or trash miles?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I picked up some new velosq.....

...gently caress.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Jamis Renegade is another solid option.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I was going for something slightly different, but was a smidge too slow. I'll consider this a task failed successfully moment.

And coincidentally enough the two animals I crossed paths with while riding were the serpent and some goats.

Getting a proper 69/420 ride is harder than it needs to be cuz my SS bike is too slow (on gravel) for the pace needed and my geared bike is too fast. I think if I come across the right amount of climbing while riding gears it'll happen. Maybe someday...

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
With wrapping it's good to know that really until the finishing tape goes on you can always unwrap/rewrap as much as you want until you get it to a place you're happy with. Having the right amount of tension on the tape while wrapping helps a ton too. I tend to get a good sweat going when I wrap my bars.

And hell yeah for the trash kit. Fingers crossed that I picked the right sizes.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
On my first century ride I fell asleep under a picnic table in some random city park for at least two hours. You know, that's ok too. You got all day to make it happen so don't be worried about taking a break. Also, never stop eating and definitely don't skip that last meal because "there's only 15 miles left I don't need food now."

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Trash Miles kit is wonderful and pairs very nicely with VaporPope arm warmers.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Depending on where you live you might not want to keep an empty rack on your car either as there's a good chance that will also get stolen. As far as rack suggestions go there's lots of good stuff out there. The two that I would recommend are either a Saris (Bones is the model I used, but you probably have to look up compatibility for your car models) as the inexpensive option or 1UP as the luxury option. Both of those will leave you with options to lock bikes to the rack itself. But to echo what was already said above, any time your bike is unattended is a chance for it to get stolen.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Time posted:

Talk to me about oval chainrings. Are they legit or a gimmick that looks bad
I love mine. I have a 1x fat bike that I've gone back and forth on between oval and round. It's going to be oval permanently now. I have a 2x cx bike with an oval inner and round outer. My last bike is a cx single speed and I have an oval on that too. Chain tension is weird with it, but I haven't had any problems yet.

I've found that I really like having an oval ring for climbs, mud, nonsense, or whatever. I left my 2x outer ring as a round one because if I'm just spinning at a good speed I still prefer having that smoother pedal stroke. All of my oval rings are absolute black and are set up in the default position.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

ExecuDork posted:

I have no idea, but I'm happy to see the suggestions!
Aldi is flogging bike shorts and a few other accessories this week, my first proper biking clothes might come from the weird German supermarket.
The Aldi bike stand is a killer deal when they have it available. I'd be interested in hearing if their clothes pan out in the same way.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Pretty good riding today. Pretty good riding all this week. I may have gone a bit mad with power cuz of all the good weather. Sadly, back to standard November fare tomorrow.

Also, I snapped that first photo to a bunch of friends and mentioned learning guitar in that spot and not one person seemed to have picked up the reference. I might need new friends.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Registration for Iowa Wind and Rock has opened. It's a 340 mile cue sheet only gravel race in April. It's tough. For the 2020 edition myself and some goon / goon adjacent folks were signed up. All of us DNSed for somewhat obvious reasons. Registration will remain open until November 30th and the event is completely free. If you have even the slightest inkling that this might be up your alley then you should sign up now so you have it in your pocket. Hit me up with any questions or whatnot.

IWAR Website
IWAR Facebook
IWAR Registration

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

VideoGameVet posted:

That might be the solution to the "auto pause at < 4mph" issue.
I believe Garmin head units will let you set a custom auto-pause speed as well. I haven't used one in awhile so I could be wrong.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
If you do it using the estimated power curve you'll want to remove as many variables from the equation as you can on your side. Things like tire pressure, flywheel engagement, skewer tightness, and whatever else. You want to make sure everything is consistent from one ride to the next. It's not a big deal if you just want to spin. But if you want to compare numbers from one session to another then it matters more.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Trash bike is a good bike.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I gotta say this has been basically a perfect week for some chilled out riding.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

It snowed about 7" yesterday. No one grooms the local greenbelt so we have to do that on our own. The first pass can be a slog, but after that the trails are a blast. Tomorrow I get to go play on the groomed trails in the state park. Bikes are good; Winter is good.
please don't wreck ski tracks when possible

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Different park and this time in daylight. Look at those stripes!

And since that was my last ride for the year here's my 2020 stats. Good times. Lots of solo gravel this year.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 31, 2020

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
If I've learned one thing about ride posting it's that someone will always crawl out of the woodwork to call your rides flat if you did anything short of biking up a literal mountain.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

BeastPussy posted:

Goals this year:

Complete Mt. Washington hillclimb
I really want to do that hill climb! I was going to do it casually this year without really looking in to the details. Now I know. For anyone else that isn't aware. Bikes aren't allowed on that road except for one day a year specifically for that hill climb event. And, you aren't allowed to ride back down to the bottom. You have to have a vehicle at the top to take you back down. It looks like a wonderfully type 2 fun kind of event for a midwesterner like myself.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

numberoneposter posted:

and SPD means shimano SPD sandal
:getin:

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I had a particularly nasty puncture that a dynaplug couldn't handle (bacon strips wouldn't have stood a chance). But the guy that gave me the plug also had duct tape wrapped around his pump. A couple loops around the tire/wheel and that was enough to slow the leak and let it seal up. By the time the tape wore off everything was good to go again.

No pictures of the duct tape setup Basically he ripped a really long strip in half lengthwise and wrapped it around the pump. Then you can pull off what you need and stores really well. Really smart idea and it kept me rolling that day.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

frogbs posted:

This reminds me, i've seen some instagram bikefluencers hawking SPD sandals lately, how are those any less dangerous than this? Just seems like anything with an open toe is a bad idea on a bike.

I'm gonna come crashing in to this thread every time spd sandals come up just to make sure everyone knows how amazing they are. They're amazing. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

frogbs posted:

How many toes were you born with and how many do you have now?
Feel free to count 'em yourself.

I used to have a pair of Keen Commuters many years ago, but cleat placement was a bit off with those and the Shimano sandals are absolutely killer. I jumped on them immediately when they got reissued. Nashbar also make (or at least used to) spd sandals which I've heard good things about too.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 5, 2021