Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

LimburgLimbo posted:

I’ve heard that disc breaks are pointless and steel is real please c/d?!

OP, more and more people are saying this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I am taking my wheel to the shop because the drive side spokes are loose, op.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think "check the skewers" is the "have you tried turning it off and on again" of bike repair

source: had a noisy drivetrain and took an embarrassing amount of time to check if the rear wheel was fully in the horizontal dropouts

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the base model Shimano SPD MTB pedals are basically perfect

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
is there a way to remove decals from H+Son alloy rims, or any other well-regarded 36-spoke alloy rims? I like the ones which look like old Mavic CXPs but they're for an old bike and the decals on H+Son rims are completely inappropriate for a vintage bike (they look way too "fixie cool")

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

nm posted:

I think all Velocity rims have removable decals. You can email them and ask as well.
They'll also basically do requests, so if you have some time, they can make a rim without decals. They're making me a rim they sell in black only in polished, I'm sure the can help you with that.

The H+son decals look just like surface stickers.

Thanks. Was going off this article and was surprised how few options had 36 spokes, given that I imagine there's a decent market of people buying these for old hubs.

The H+S TB14s look good and don't have decals either, but I prefer the "v-shape" look a la Mavic CXPs for an 80s bike.

http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/reviews-and-testing/alloy-rim-roundup/

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 27, 2020

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Imo never buy wheels you can't afford to replace

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Guinness posted:

When I was a new cyclist I thought all blacked out stealth bikes were cool as gently caress.

Now many years later I think they are kinda boring and all same looking, give me some color!

But who cares what we think, get what you think looks cool because if you think it's cool you will ride it more and that's all that matters!

It was a reaction to the 2000/early 2010s thing of bike companies cramming every spot on their bike possible with logos or swooping lines. Like with many backlash trends, it was neat at the start but now looks generic.

The current look seems to be either that or the "billboard" look where the entire bike is a solid color and is completely devoid of detailing, writing, or even the model name, with the exception of a massive brand decal on the downtube. The Trek Madone is the king of this look and I hate it.

Basically make bikes look like this again

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Good news! Hideous bikes are back in fashion!

:popeye:

it won't count until people go full 80s and make this a normal non-special edition paint job though

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's a cool paint job but Trek discovering that they can extend the logo to the headtube to make it even more massive is the most ominous development in cycling since the press fit BB.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Quite A Tool posted:

Thanks for the input y’all.

The biggest reason I just didn’t pick up a journeyman when we got hers is I primarily ride mtb and have set aside about 2-2.5k total for my bikes, which was all going to go towards a new mtb until she re-found a passion for riding, just not the gnarlier stuff with me. So now I’m splitting that between a gravel-adjacent bike and probably a fun hardtail or maybe a used FS if I’m lucky. Since I’d like the majority of the budget to go towards that, I’m trying to keep the gravel bike cost down as much as I can without going *too* cheap.

I can ride my old budget 29er with her now, but I’d like something a little more suited to keeping up with her.

Edit: Lame rear end page snipe. Here's pictures of her old ride and new hotness.

wtf that Grand Record owns, bikes with Vitus tubes don't show up that often

if it fits slap some Paselas on and you're good to go :colbert:

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 29, 2020

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Are there any good-performing tanwalls like the Vitorria Corsa that won't puncture as often as the Corsa, or will most puncture-resisting training tires come with blackwall? In 23mm/25mm, since I don't think my bike will fit anything wider.

The Corsa Control seems nice but $$$

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 29, 2020

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Benson Cunningham posted:

https://www.diamondback.com/road-bikes/endurance-bikes/century-6c-carbon-d42

Anyone know if something comparable to this is in stock anywhere? Its the right price point for me and I haven't seen much else that's full carbon with ultegra parts and hydraulic disc brakes for a similar price. Looking for my beginner to amateur upgrade basically.

These are "local dealer checks" but you might get lucky with a $3k bike versus everyone buying out the sub-$1500 ones.

https://www.fujibikes.com/usa/bikes/road/endurance/gran-fondo/gran-fondo-1-3

https://masibikes.com/collections/performance-road/products/vivo-rs-2019?variant=13099170463833 (also the Evoluzione if you want a racier geometry)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
honestly the most annoying thing that isn't carelessness/dangerous driving is when people decide to be "nice" and hold up at intersections despite arriving first/having ROW, rather than just going, leading to that "wait who's going to go" standoff that can end in both people trying to go at once. just go, man!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

bicievino posted:

Augh. Why is it so hard to just follow the rules of the road.

like, I don't want to get into ~vehicular cycling~ because that's a stupid debate, but in most cases it's much better for everyone involved to just be predictable

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Red Crown posted:

Just got my bike back from its first tune up in 2+ years. Turns out it needed a new chain and cassette :stare: Thanks, friendly regional bike shop + artisanal coffee roaster. (I didn't know about the coffee until I walked in - it was extremely my poo poo)

Is there a site/app/secret society that maps out what roads have shoulders or bike lanes? I'll be moving to the greater DC metro area before long and I'm trying to find a place where I can just get on a road with a shoulder and go without fearing for my life.

Google has a cycling mode which is vaguely acceptable, but DC has enough cycling infrastructure that the city and local clubs probably have good maps.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Is that a Terry-style bike? It doesn't really look like an old Low-pro/ TT funny bike, other than the bars.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

nm posted:

That has been an issue for me. I have just started zip tying.

Rim Brakes are prettier.
:colbert:

never taking off the old Campy calipers I have, from the "it's impossible to brake from the brake hoods" era

Despite being single pivot, the sprung Shimano 105 SLRs on my Univega are actually very practical to brake from the hoods (and got listed by Sheldon Brown as the "best single pivot brakes ever made", so they're probably expensive on ebay a la other Sheldon Brown favorites like Bridgestones and Miyata 1000s)

(also check out that amazing frame clearance, and the worst bar tape ever made AKA Benotto Cell-o-tape)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Is anyone still looking into updating the OP? I could write up something quick and dirty if that's alright.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's generally out of date. It doesn't include any mention of gravel/e-bikes which are like, the two hottest bike categories right now, for instance. The Hybrid writeup is stupid (fixing a hybrid is "more trouble than it's worth???")

There's just a bunch of other issues that personally stand out to me as potentially iffy (people who don't know anything about bikes should absolutely not go to ebay or craigslist to buy a first bike, for instance), and I think a rewrite might be the best way to fix it, rather than adding or adjusting every bit.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Twerk from Home posted:

What’s the distinction? If I saw a rigid flat bar bike with smaller than 2” tires and forward geometry I’d call it a hybrid.

City bike would be fully upright, cruiser is relaxed geo.

There isn't a distinction because all of these are terms with no standardization.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"suspension forks on commuter bikes are generally poor quality and not worth it" is good advice that might be worth including in a brief commuter/city bike writeup

"throw your commuter bike in the trash if it drops a chain!!! Rule V!!! HTFU!!!!" is not

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Killswitch posted:

LOL I don’t want to live in a world where this:

is not immediately recognizable as hyperbole. Come on buddy

that's not what the OP says, and the "writeup" in the OP is much less obviously hyperbole

i get that it's kind of useless because nobody is going to join this gay forum in 2020 anyway, but treating any bike with a flat bar like a Wal-Mart bike with Falcon derailleurs is really really stupid.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
and I'd call the bottom bike a hybrid and the top bike a (lovely) city bike because these terms are fake and have no standardization.

and it's not like you can't get a well made city bike with racks/basket and a step through frame, it's just that the companies that make them are sadly extremely "hip"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
and both of them are above vintage low-end French bikes, which you should only get if you want to get into a world of plastic derailleurs and nonsensical threading standards

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

bicievino posted:

I'm sure that anyone who was willing to put the effort into offering up an actual improved section for the OP instead of complaining that what is there isn't good enough would get a more receptive response.

i was literally asking if anyone would be interested in me making an updated writeup/OP and used that as an example of something that might not be great advice

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I was writing up a big effort op but after these last posts
I'm deleting it and just saying that aero is fake and aero frames are ugly and should be trashed

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"aerodynamics" was a scam pseudoscience invented by Canadians in 2003 to sell ugly bicycles. Few know this

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I still can't believe Specialized threatened to sue someone for using "Roubaix" in their Cafe name when it turned out they didn't even own the rights to that brand but were licensing it from the owners of Fuji. Just incredible.

I actually really like old Specialized bikes but I'll never get a new one after stories like that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

PabloBOOM posted:

If we get raccoons I don't need a refund I'm keeping it. :3:

Bicycle Megathread 5: everyone gets rabies

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Texibus posted:

Would an older Specialized Stumpjumper for $150 be a decent deal, if it's in good shape?

Yes because if it doesn't work out for you, you can probably sell it overpriced because people overpay for Stumpys.

E) seriously though I'd usually caution that you probably want a rigid frame instead of dealing with old suspension forks, but unless it's literally falling apart $150 for an old Stumpjumper is a good buy

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 14, 2020

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
is there a good choice for tubes if the primary criterion is "valve stems which are extremely durable"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't know if I'm just being lovely while pumping but I'm having problems where the rubber valve in the core will get jammed/out of position and require me to carefully unscrew it to let air out before removing the core and unjamming it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

bicievino posted:

That's weird. I've never run in to that issue, and it's not like I'm picky about only using fancy tubes or something.

Both of these issues have been with the same brand of tube so I'm going with "never buy 'rubbers' brand tubes again"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

nm posted:

That's loving weird. Are you using a lovely pump?

It's cheap but it's Topeak, which I've never really had issues with, and it's definitely only on the tubes I installed.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
2k will get you a quality 105-equipped bike which will be perfectly fine for anyone. The difference between mechanical Ultegra and 105 is not really significant.

Unless you want like a Colnago from 1987 you're fine going new. At least locally I haven't noticed year old used bikes going down seriously in value, probably because of the pandemic demand.

Tldr just buy the thing

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Get the one with the best paint.

can't emphasize how correct this is

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Dumb question for people who keep track of Cannondale, has being owned by Pacific Cycle made them shittier?

A lot of the time, the giant companies which own the (mostly) dead legacy bike brands have different brands for different price/quality points - Pacific/Dorel/Whoever the hell owns Cannondale right now clearly have Cannondale as their top-of-the-market bike, with GT as their more mid-range brand and the corpses of Mongoose and Schwinn as their budget/department-store-bike line. You sometimes see them move around - whoever owns Raleigh used to use them to sell pretty nice mid-to-high range bikes (including some interesting gravel models) that were generally good deals, but their current lineup is very much more budget/boring.

For an actual answer, most of the problems people have with Cannondale (the occasional inexplicable design choices, usually with a disregard to parts standards) existed before they went bankrupt and got bought out.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 30, 2020

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
nailing the MAMIL look (this is a good thing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
but are they more dangerous on MUPs than tribike riders???

E) for actual content, the covid boom knockon effects are still annoying. Thankfully I can get 7 speed chains again, but SPD pedals have vanished from the earth, apparently. I've got a pair of Deore XT SPDs that I'm guarding like precious jewels at this point.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 28, 2020