Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Riding my bike indoors today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

e.pilot posted:

You’re in the wrong sub forum my friend

I'm riding in front of an open window so I get to hear the wonderful sound of cars driving passed me at 60mph.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

El Laucha posted:

My last ride outside was on march 14th, it sucks.

On the bright side I've had 4 months of consistent turbo trainer training.

Hell yeah you're gonna be stronk as heck when you can get back out. Figured I can use the lack of races and group rides to actually try structured training for the first time.

(Actually our fitness will fall apart over winter without ever getting a proper outdoor season, when we're still stuck indoors and get the usual motivation loss and put on weight from the Holidays)

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

kimbo305 posted:

Today is New Jersey Day. Post those new jerseys.

I haven't gotten it yet but I ordered it nearly 4 months ago and it is now out for delivery, so I guess I can hopefully wear it tomorrow.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

e.pilot posted:

I was going to wait until this was a bit more finalized to post but it’s moving a bit faster than I expected and there’s a minimum order of 10 so trying to get as much interest as I can.

I’m putting together a stupid jersey, cost should be $25+ shipping. It’s through a china kit company called Racmmer I have a few jerseys from, they’re real nice even by normal jersey standards let alone chinakit.

I’ll put together a google form for sizes once the design is finalized and the order is ready to go, but I wanted to see if there was any interest now to get the ball rolling

You had me at rollerdog

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
There isn't nearly enough talk of Everesting, for starters. If you are worried that it won't pertain to newbies maybe usher them towards vEveresting, which isn't real and doesn't count.

Good Dog fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 10, 2020

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Feels Villeneuve posted:

and I'd call the bottom bike a hybrid and the top bike a (lovely) city bike because these terms are fake and have no standardization.

and it's not like you can't get a well made city bike with racks/basket and a step through frame, it's just that the companies that make them are sadly extremely "hip"

If the terms are lovely and have no standardization why the hell would you even bother with an OP?

Delete everything in it, make the OP:

quote:

:justpost:

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Levitate posted:

You've sold me on the idea, take my money!

e:

Someone who posts in this thread (sometimes) has this bike...

Mine is all black and more expensive than that model and you bet your rear end I commuted to work on it today.

Let's convince Andy to get a TT bike so he can be a top 1% triathlete just based on his running ability.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
I wash my helmet straps and pads not nearly as often as I should, with a soapy sponge. I've always been worried about soaking or getting too much water in there and having the hard shell delaminate from the foam or something.

And to answer your next question no I don't ride in the rain what are you dumb?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
I will start off by saying that static pictures of you at the "6 o clock" pedal position is not good enough for any type of bike fit more thorough than "throw your leg over it and see if its rideable in the parking lot" level of bike fit, for a variety of reasons.

The 6 o clock position is not the most leg extension you will expect to see throughout the pedal stroke, instead it should be slightly forward of that, if you're drawing a straight line from the center of your saddle through the bottom bracket to the pedal spindle. After that a whole host of things come into play. Cleat position forward/backward mostly, but really what will come into play here is ankle mobility and how much flexion your ankle has throughout the pedal stroke. This is a dynamic range of motion that will never be captured by a static picture and should be done while pedaling on a trainer at the effort level and rpms you are trying to fit to, and averaging this angle over multiple pedal strokes. This can also be different from your left and right sides depending on your anatomy.

Check out bikefitadvisor on youtube, this is a good place to start with some of your questions: youtube.com/watch?v=S7HE4ogNlbY

This is a good app to get a better idea of what your knee and ankle are doing: https://www.motionysis.com/video/

In general, things I've done to mitigate some severe toe pain, usually my outer toes first.

-Move cleats back (away from toes). If you're otherwise happy with your bike fit you should be moving your saddle forward the same amount that you move your cleats back in order to keep the same knee extension to keep it close. Technically depending on what your ankle is doing and how long your feet are, moving your cleats isn't quite 1:1 with saddle fore/aft.
-Better quality insoles. I think alot of people that have toe problems also have high arches or need a higher volume insole. Part of the problem is that your feet are moving forward throughout the pedal stroke and over time and your toes are "digging in" to try to hold them in position. I'd bet if you took your insoles out you're seeing the most wear right at your toes. I owned insoles where I wore all the way through them at the big toe.
-Varus wedges. Go on amazon and get a set of cleat wedges, there are apps that can take pictures of your feet while they dangle off the back off a chair when you're on your knees and can recommend how many shims to use. I have (2) 1deg shims under each of my cleats.
-Get an actual bike fit. It sucks to wait until you're injured before you get a fit. I rode my bike *for years* without changing anything and all the sudden developed debilitating knee pain and we ended up making wholesale changes to my fit. We spent like 3 hours working on my cleat position, saddle position, and saddle model. We didn't even bother with my handle bars.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
I added about a dozen veloviewer tiles on today's ride, mostly on lovely industrial roads with few redeeming features. Not sure if veloviewer encouraging me to try new roads is a good thing in this case, but in general it's fun to add squares and plan routes where that is your only real goal in an otherwise easy zone 1/2 day.

Yesterday's ride was an rear end kicker, 105mi/4200' solo, held a 20mph average and 260w normalized. It was also an average of 95 the last 2 hours, the last 15mi of which was red light city, no bike lane type of riding. I could have easily drank another 2 bottles if I had them. I am about to swear off non insulated bottles for longer rides, it sucks having your ice bottles be melted 20 minutes into your ride and the second bottle be hot before you even drink it. For rides around an hour it's fine but anything longer sucks.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Picked up about 10 new veloviewer squares on my ride today while riding to and from the mountains.

Holy gently caress is the turn by turn or course mapping on the Garmin 520+ hot trash. I'd assume that it got a bit better with the 530 or 830 but on multiple occasions today it had me make a turn on the wrong street and then tell me to make a U-turn in a quarter mile, and then would complain that I was off course. Maybe its strava's route builder being bad, the .gpx file it generates being bad, or the way that Garmin reads that .gpx file but at one point it had me make 3 U-turns on the same street and just constantly beep that I was off course. And then it takes several minutes for the course tool to catch up to where you are or attempt to navigate you back onto your path.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

We have a special type of idiots that are organizing and running unsanctioned mass start races on open roads. Just because you say nobody is organizing it and nobody is responsible, it does not make it so.

Charon should know better and it sucks that he gets zero pushback. I guess a 200 person Como Street race with cash payouts is just going to be a thing.

I love my trash panda speedsuit/2 in 1. Super comfortable. It's like going from shorts to bibs.

Good Dog fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 25, 2020

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I still do not understand your Ven-Top (Ven-bottom?) descent speed. How?

Set your weight to the max and your height at the minimum when you're at the top.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

e.pilot posted:

Rode up Mt Baldy and down Glendora Ridge today with a fellow goon and set a bitchin’ PR up Baldy.

]

Filter for followers list coward.

Trash skinsuit best kit. GRR descent is GOATed.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Albinator posted:

The renders make it look like it's leather, and I'm oddly aroused.

Do you have a render that shows it on a spongily overweight bod?

Imagine Raphael from the Ninja Turtles but with his shell on the front.

Not a huge fan of the 7-11 colors but I am also an AMPM guy. Plus I'd like to see how the chest logo looks on the whole front like the palace kit.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Canyon says they’ve fully refunded me for the bike, hasn’t hit my card yet. The end of a (bad) era is drawing near.

This video is lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp8IBAQYggE

I wear alot of DHB Aeron and alot of La Passione kit. Both are above average quality for below average cost and come in a variety of colors but aren't super loud.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Objurium posted:

Biked up to one of my favorite places on the local mountains after a storm cell dumped a bunch of snow all over it for the past few days. I think this is like a 3k jump on my previous max elevation gain? Am dead but happy :toot:

I hear there is a goon that is the Local Legend of Crystal Lake. :smuggo:

As the resident Canyon apologist I have had nothing but good times with my Ultimate. Do not ask about the other bike.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

BraveUlysses posted:

bah KMC gold chains went from 45 bucks a year ago to 61 bucks now

how long do chains last for most of you?

I think I went about 9,000mi on my last chain (November 2019 to January 2021). Almost never ride in the rain, clean and lube with rock n roll gold weekly. I only replaced it because it wasn't gold enough anymore.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
I'm always looking for new ways to have my bike fail on me. Added a fresh one to the list. :toot:

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

serious gaylord posted:

Did the crank bolts just fail? Looks like it slid right off.

This is a Rotor ALDHU24, it uses a center bolt that gets torqued to 40Nm (and that I was told by their technician to increase the torque to 50Nm when it was coming loose). This is the bit that I unscrewed that you can see still inside the spindle.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Objurium posted:

Decided I really wanted to push myself this weekend and add a new highway sticker to my frame, so a buddy and I went and did this.

The mountains eventually spit us out back into the city, and all told I was back home by 1am, fried but completely content.

I hope my monologuing isn't lame or boring, just feeling super stoked on my first real adventure cycling route and wanted to share :)

Rad. I love Highway 2, especially up high between Islip Saddle and Wrightwood as you crest Dawson. I've never continued on down passed Wrightwood though, I've always been intimidated by either having to get on the 15 Freeway or doing a dirt descent so I've always opted to go back up to Dawson from Wrightwood.

Theres a good bit of climbing while going down the 2. Definitely kills your buzz to hit these little 5 minute climbs sprinkled in throughout an otherwise 7000' descent.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
IMO the only thing that short cranks do for you is:

Improve fit by changing the hip angle at the top of the pedal stroke
Improve pedal clearance when pedalling through corners

Maybe there are things with pure maximum sprint power where crank length effects torque effectiveness can make a difference for some athletes but cycling quickly becomes an issue of aerobic fitness. Plenty of studies have been done both on cadence and also on crank length and don't see any real difference in oxygen uptake.

Honestly height isn't even the only factor to determining if your fit would be improved by going to shorter cranks. Your upper to lower leg ratio, flexibility at the ankle and hip, pedalling style, foot length, etc all play roles.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

spf3million posted:

Side question: does anyone not get sore sit bones after about 60 miles and/or 4k elevation? I've spent an embarrassing amount on saddles and bibs and haven't found the magic combination yet where I'm only limited by my muscles and digestive system. I want to believe it's out there but I'm starting to think I'm destined for pain on centuries and beyond.

I can ride all day every day with zero saddle discomfort on my road bike. I use a Specialized Power Arc Expert in the 155mm size. I haven't found the perfect saddle for me on my time trial bike, the best I've been able to find is using that exact same power arc saddle. With my TT bike saddle pressure discomfort is the very first thing to start bugging me.

I guess the takeaway from that is that its possible you've tried the right saddle for your sit bones but could possibly play with the nose up/down based on the rest of your bike fit (which I assume is good and you don't want to mess with).

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

e.pilot posted:

One of the photographers at the race on Saturday actually managed to make me look cool.

Thats a level of color coordination and sock length I'd expect at one of my races!

That race and road surface looked like hell, and it is a very nice photo

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Krogort posted:

I have like 1cm of saddlepost left before hitting max length.
It's too small isn't it ?

That just means its 1cm longer than it needs to be.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
In the before times I bought some Ebay L03A brake pads in a 4 pack (pads only, no springs, came in a ziplock) for $32 and they worked perfect and just as well as any officially packaged Shimano ones. And I'm 200lbs and ride in the mountains alot. That seller still exists but doesn't seem to have L03A pads anymore, they sell alot of other pads and tons of different bike components.

The ebay market doesn't seem to have that big of discount compared to retail from REI, I probably wouldn't bother with it these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
bike24 is cheaper than those. https://www.bike24.com/p2530143.html

54.61 Euro for 25s and 58.82 Euro for 32s. 20 Euro shipping. VAT is normally 19% so I don't know if either of the sites you're looking at are including it.