Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I finally pulled the trigger on a new bike after mine was stolen a few weeks back. Can’t wait to just get out and ride. Solo ride, group ride, any ride is a good ride.

What did you get? Sucks that your old bike was stolen, but nice opportunity to upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Ammanas posted:

aw damnit my old asian market edge 500 screen cracked. any rec for a simple but good cycling computer under $150?

Under $150 you're solidly in the cost-cutting tradeoff zone unless you're willing to go find a used Wahoo or Garmin instead.

That said, I've been happily using a bargain bin Lezyne Super GPS Enhanced for ~1.5 years right now and it's been fine. It was $100, I use it to follow GPX tracks without maps, and when I've used turn-by-turn it has worked great until I get off the track and then it loses connection to my phone and struggles to route me back. If you can survive with only Bluetooth and not ANT+, you could get by with a https://www.jensonusa.com/Lezyne-Macro-Plus-GPS . If you want more ANT+ and more features you can step up to the Super Pro GPS at $150, but at that point you should probably just consider the extra money for a Garmin 130 Plus or Wahoo Bolt.

You might be able to find a clearance Garmin 130 for cheap now that the 130 Plus is out also.

Edit: It's elevation barometer is bad and always gives me extra elevation if there's big weather changes or I leave before it calibrates. Strava can correct this elevation. It's done a great job of staying paired to cadence and HR sensor, battery life is good, and my phone connection issues are probably because I'm on a 3.5 year old $240 phone that struggles to maintain a bluetooth connection to anything, including my car and speakers.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 5, 2020

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

becoming posted:

My dad did this with poor results. I am a hair under 6'0.5" tall (184cm on-the-dot) and my anatomical inseam is 34.5" (87.5cm); back in 2009 when I was getting back into cycling after fifteen years of wasting my life playing Quake, I went into a Performance shop and walked out with a size Large Schwinn Searcher. It fit me pretty well and I got a lot of use out of that bike before selling it to a friend. Anyway, my dad is 5'9" tall with short legs, so his anatomical inseam is probably under 30"; he went into Performance and demanded a size Large Schwinn Searcher because that's what I'd bought. The folks there tried their best to talk him out of it but he was adamant; I tried to talk him into a Medium but nope, if his son rides a Large, so does he! He eventually got his way and came out with this bike that's much too large for him. He made it a few years without serious incident, but finally he rolled up to a stop, couldn't get off the saddle, couldn't get a foot down, and went over right on his shoulder. He was probably 65 at the time and overweight and this wound up being a proper injury that kept him off the bike for quite a long while.

I no-shame ride a Medium Topstone. Buy a bike that fits, folks!

Smaller bikes are lighter and let you get longer stems. Both of these are good things!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

nm posted:

I really wish those Ali Express jersey companies made american sized jerseys. I sure love XXXL jerseys that are an American medium.

I've got some Racmmers, and as a 6' tall 160lb dude I'm a large. Perfect fit, seems about right.

Are these the aero fit, or regular?

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 7, 2020

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

becoming posted:

I have an appointment tomorrow morning to see my newly-appointed primary care physician.

From https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/exposure/type.html:

Again, because it hit my bicep/inner elbow, and because I have eczema/psoriasis on my inner elbow which may be considered broken skin, I think it's probably prudent to talk to a medical professional. I suspect I'm gonna wind up getting the shots simply because the stakes are so high and no doctor wants to be the one that allowed a rabies death to occur when they're so easily preventable.

Look at it this way: while you're actively getting the course of rabies vaccine shots, you can confidently hang out with any more bats that you run into.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

TobinHatesYou posted:

Nah, hybrids suck, but fitness bikes are great.

What’s the distinction? If I saw a rigid flat bar bike with smaller than 2” tires and forward geometry I’d call it a hybrid.

City bike would be fully upright, cruiser is relaxed geo.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

LimburgLimbo posted:

Is the bike shortage over there really that crazy bad? Should I be buying up stock over here in Taiwan where it seems not so much of a problem and shipping that poo poo to desperate people.

The taiwanese bike market looks fun, you've got a bunch of poo poo they don't sell over here like Aluminum TCRs.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

What's worth spending money on for a kids bike? My 3 year old has completely mastered her Strider, and is just barely tall enough for a 16" bike so we can skip 14" like I was hoping to.

I'm trying to figure out pros and cons of a Woom 3 vs a Priority Start vs something much cheaper.

I'm fairly certain that I'm willing to pay more for hand brakes vs a coaster, and lighter weight within reason. It looks like wanting hand brakes instantly puts me into a $270+ bracket, at which point the extra $100 for the woom starts to feel sane.

Woom Pros:
* Weight, ~12lbs total
* Nice chainguard
* Kickstand really far back, less likely to cause crashes if she uses it wrong.

Woom Cons:
* Price, crazy expensive for a kids bike. Can amortize this across multiple kids, at least.
* 16 spoke wheels? I'm a little concerned about durability, given that it's going to be abused

Priority Start Pros:
* Belt drive
* Tougher wheels
* $70 cheaper

Priority Start Cons:
* Good bit heavier (17lbs vs 12lbs).

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

A decent balance bike is what, $150? So upgrading to the very top of the line is only $850?
Name another bike model where you can go from the worst tier to the absolutely top, losing 66% of the weight.
Honey? This is reasonable!

So, this was part of my decision to spend $400 on ordering a https://us.woombikes.com/products/3 this week. Real kids bikes with appropriate hand brakes for them are $300 minimum, it's only an extra $100 to get one that's 5 lbs lighter? It costs a lot more than $100 to lose 5 lbs from any adult bike.

I'm assuming that weight matters a lot more when the rider is 40lbs too.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

weight on a balance bike doesn't matter at all because a 3yo isn't racing uphill without pedals

It matters when they're constantly flinging it around and climbing over things with it and need to be able to carry it on their own.

I realized my kid was ready for pedals when she started taking the balance bike down and off of slides.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I've only ever gotten passed on my ebike, but that be because in full dress with both kids on it the bike is north of 160lbs.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

amenenema posted:

For the trashkit sizing - I'm 6'1" 180lbs and normally a medium in bibs from like PI/Voler/LG. I'm a small in most club fit jerseys and medium/large in race cut stuff depending on how racy.

Suggestions on what size to get for trashkit jersey and bibs?

Go large or xlarge in the bibs unless you have a hank hill rear end.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I'm looking to grow my fleet and I could go a dozen different ways, and I'm looking for suggestions. I've currently got a gravel bike that clears up to 45mm tires, a cheapo hybrid, and a long-tail cargo bike used for kid-hauling.

My 4-year old is finally really clicking with her first pedal bike, and I'm looking for something to play with her. I've been taking her to skate parks, and we just got a paved pump track close to us that she's been having tons of fun on her Strider balance bike with, and now she's starting to ride around on a pedal bike, and I'm pretty sure that I've got years of hanging out farting around on bikes with her ahead of me. For a while now she's preferred to just play around on her strider vs going to a playground. I'm planning to take her to easy, flat mountain bike trails once she's fully confident on her pedal bike and good at bailing.

So I'm looking for something that, in approximate order:

• Is fun on a pump track, both paved & unpaved
  • Can be used to make my own fun playing around in grassy fields, parking lots, concrete drainage ditches, has tough wheels so that I can beat it up and get better at bunny hops and maybe even learn to manual.
  • Is somehow interesting to ride at really low speeds on MUPs following a 4-year old on a mission. I say "somehow" because this could be either having to stand, or having unusual geometry.
  • Comfortable to ride on unpaved MUPs and green MTB trails that a little kid could ride.

I've been doing all of these things on my commuter hybrid, but it's not awesome at any of them. I'm hoping to spend $500-700, but if the answer is somehow a real mountain bike I'd be willing to go to $1200 or so. For things that my daughter will be riding off-road anytime soon, the hybrid is probably fine. I wouldn't want to take the gravel bike because kids stop & go a lot and I wouldn't be able to stay clipped in.

I'm not worried about looking like a dork, either to normal people or to bike people. I just want to have fun playing around. I've been playing "Bike Tag" with her where we just chase each other around on bikes and say "tag".

My current thoughts are:

20" BMX: Most fun for just goofing around, make me work hard. I don't think that bike handling skills would transfer as easily though back to normal riding.
24" BMX: More forgiving, feels more like a normal bike,
Dirt Jumper: Too much bike for what I'm planning to do, but probably the ideal bike for pump tracks. How cheap can I find one?
Entry level mountain bike: Probably can't find one in a shop, but the cheapest Kona, Giant Talon or a Trek Marlin or something would be fine for all this, and be just fine for many years of keeping up with kid mountain biking if she wants to do that.

I'm leaning towards a 24" BMX, but it seems like they're super specialty and hard to find. I'd appreciate suggestions or heckles about anything I may have overlooked.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 8, 2021

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Your gravel bike with 45mm slicks/small knobbies could do all of that quite well. If you're looking specifically to n+1 then an entry level hardtail mountain bike is a solid choice.

Yeah, I'd want to swap flat pedals onto it, but I could. Drop bars on a pump track feel pretty strange though. I'd also want to get the bars a little higher I think.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 8, 2021

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Wow, K&N really went for an upscale feel for their air filters.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Can somebody give me the run down on folders, different fold mechanisms, and what you're paying for?

My mom has been talking about getting a folding bike for ages, and finally decided she really wants one, which just happens to be during the great pandemic bike shortage. She's a lapsed cyclist, used to ride 50+ miles a week at a moderate pace with her friends twenty years ago and has no bikes right now. She's wanting to get a bike again because my daughter is starting to ride, and wants a folder because my parents are in a small apartment, and she wants to be able to carry it in a small car trunk, and also stash it inside an RV easily for RV campground riding.

My dad and I will be chipping in on this for her birthday, and my understanding is that most folders are so adjustable that one size fits all, so if it's a bike that could fit both my 5'5" mom and 6'3" dad, then budget is basically up to a Brompton ($2k?), and I'd inherit it whenever they're done with it. I want to focus mostly on how she'd use it though, so what would be a good folding bike for:

• A grandma riding slowly on MUPs and parks with grandkids and family, but including a decent gear range. Parks here can be proper hilly.
  • Carried regularly in car trunks or inside an RV, probably never carried on public transit
  • Good long-term support and serviceable at normal bike shops

I don't actually know the pros and cons of a Dahon vs Bike Friday Packit vs Brompton vs something much cheaper from a big brand like a Giant Expressway, and I'd appreciate a lay of the land of folding bikes.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

learnincurve posted:

Wouldn't you go for the electric bromptons if you wanted a super speedy road bike replacement? I had a look and to be fair the electric ones cost about the same as the lighter version in the U.K.

I haven't ridden a brompton (yet) but I'm assuming that the 451 wheels on the pocket rocket are much, much more comfortable and confident than the bromp's 16s.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Hekk posted:

Thanks to everyone who tried to tell me to use some common sense and just pay to get my other bike shipped to me. I listened to your advice, and in true Goon fashion, completely ignored it.

I need to get some new spd pedals and shoes but the shop didn't have my size. So I will work on that later. The important thing is I now have a bike here in Minnesota.

Gorgeous bike. All city has the best paint. Enjoy.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

So, I'm gonna ask:

Does anybody else use polyester shorts + no underwear as a middle ground between jeans and bibs, or is that only me?

Alternatively, does anybody have underwear recommendations that are actually comfortable to ride fast in?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

poemdexter posted:

I bought a bike a couple weeks ago and went on my first group ride Saturday with the bike shop. It was the beginner group, 6 of us total including a bike shop employee, and only 1 of us had been with the group before so all newbies. The route was advertised as 20 miles/13-15mph average which I thought was no big deal since I had done 20 miles/avg 14mph before last week around a big lake nearby. Well, the first half was all down hill into the wind and the second half was mostly flat and spikes of uphill. I ended up falling way behind on this monster hill at around 16 miles and I just died. I walked my bike up like the last 30% of the hill on the sidewalk. The bike shop employee eventually rolled back to check up on me and get me back to the group after we hit the top of the hill and even pointed out a spot he threw up on when he first hit this hill years ago. I felt embarrassed for keeping the group waiting and at that point I was incredibly lightheaded and didn't think I'd make it the rest of the way. I called my fiance to pick me up. I apologized to the group and they were chill and told them I'd be back next Saturday for another attempt.

I had a granola bar, snickers bar, and half a gatorade for breakfast because I was running late and I felt that's what killed me. Also, I'm never sure what gear I should be in so maybe I was going too hard. What do you usually eat night before or breakfast before a long ride? Also, anyone have tips about gearing and hills? I was mostly mirroring what everyone around me was doing and it felt fine. I don't want to be "that guy" that holds back the group and makes a group ride unfun.

I stopped the trip when I started to walk up the hill so you don't even get to see the total incline but god drat it was like a long, steep ride. I definitely want to go again this Saturday. This hill will not defeat me.

I'm gonna agree that distance is not a beginner ride, beginner rides are no-drop so you'd have somebody hanging back with you, walking that bike if you need to.

Managing climbs is a skill that everyone has to learn, and the only general newbie advice that I can confidently give is that you want to take it easier than you think at the beginning, and in general riders tend to push too difficult a gear. Climbing up any distance of a hill involves shifting low, spinning, and trying to stay relaxed and avoid over-tiring yourself halfway up like you did that time. If you keep at it and have fun, you'll find out that you keep developing the same basic skills as you get stronger and faster and the hills get longer and steeper.

Edit: Rides under about 1.5-2 hours you don't really have to worry about what you're eating, as long as you don't go into it with a completely empty stomach.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Vando posted:

So I built up a 50cm frame so that I have a loaner for my shorter friends when they visit but it turns out it fits my 6ft body way better than any of my other 4 bikes. Physics is a lie.

What's your stem / bar / spacer situation? What does this look like?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

poemdexter posted:

How hard is it to replace the bar tape and are there any brands out there that are softer/squishier? Should I look at better gloves instead? Even adjusting my grip throughout a ride and trying not to lock my arms so much, I'm still getting some numbness in my hands after 20 miles or so and shake my hands out but not sure if there's any long term problems I might have or technique stuff I'm missing to prevent some of it.

Numbness tends to be a sign of too much weight on your hands, but if you really are having hand numbness problems even while supporting most of your weight through your core, I'd check if you can safely lower tire pressures before I start looking at swapping bar tape. However, bar tape is pretty cheap, so if you want to try putting on some gel bar tape, go for it.

Replacing bar tape is a regular maintenance job that is easy to do acceptably, and pretty hard to do well (at least for me). I'd do it and be OK with a somewhat ugly-looking result.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

jetz0r posted:

Yeah, Vespas are called mopeds here. Don't think I've ever seen one of those mini-motorcycle mopeds, unless you count those super loud and annoying kits that add a small engine to a cheap bike.

This is a regional thing, I would definitely call Vespas and Ruckuses and such scooters, they're definitely not mopeds.

Ebikes, I really prefer the term "pedalec", but the US doesn't seem to like that word either.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Smart adaptation of the Quick Haul e-bike, except for keeping the same gearing. Cargo bikes should have 1:1 for their granny gear, which limits your gear range on an 8-speed 11-34t.
I have wondered why they didn't do this for the GSD or HSD.

What's the gear inches of the setup that they have? It looks like the smaller 20" wheel standard, 406, so I'd bet that lowest gear is still pretty short.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I'm helping my girlfriend sell her road bike, its a Gary Fisher ARC Pro and im not quite sure how much to list it for. Alu front triangle and carbon seat/chain stays, Shimano 105 drivetrain and brifters, SRAM Rival brakes, generally in good condition as far as I can tell but has some paint damage on the aluminum downtube. Is 600$ reasonable for it? I'm so out of the loop on used road bike prices, especially these days. Any advice is appreciated.

I had one of those! Bought it for $400 10 years ago, sold it for $300 around 5 years ago.

Edit: current prices remain pretty insane so yeah I'd go for $500 now.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Oldstench posted:

I'm going to vent for a moment. I'm a big dude now - 6'6", 395lbs. Quitting alcohol and dealing with serious mental health issues was the trigger for me ballooning to my current lovely state. It's my fault that I cross-addicted to food, so I'm not trying to push blame anywhere. I'm finally ready to get back out on the bike as it's the only exercise I can actually stand to do. Unfortunately, there are no road bikes that will support my fat rear end that I can find. Sure, I can probably get someone to custom make a frame, but that's gonna be $$$$ that I can't afford, and that would just be the frame. I honestly don't even know if they make tubeless slicks that would support me. The other option seems to be high-end touring ebikes. Those are way outside of my price range and I don't want an ebike.

It's a shame there isn't a market for bikes for heavy riders. I don't get it. Seems like a no-brainer. There will always be fat people looking to get in shape, and biking is both fun as poo poo and really easy on the back/knees. :(

Yuba cargo bikes are available non-electric and are really overbuilt, and smaller ones aren't that long and are reasonable daily riders.The $999 Kombi is rated to carry 390 lbs, so realistically you and your stuff would only be about 10-20 lbs over rating, which I'd personally accept: https://yubabikes.com/cargobikestore/kombi/

You want lots of spokes on the wheels and likely heavier gauge spokes. Almost every cargo bike will have that, and non-electric cargos don't have to be crazy expensive. The Yuba Mundo is rated to carry 490lbs, and those have been around forever and can be found used, but it's also really long and would be kind of a pain because of that.

Edit: I'm arriving at these numbers by subtracting bike weight from gross vehicle weight rating.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Oldstench posted:

Thanks to everyone for chiming in with suggestions. This has made me feel quite a bit less hopeless. I'm not exactly a cargo bike fan, but the Yuba Kombi looks like it'll work for me until I drop enough weight to get back on my Specialized that I bought nearly 200 lbs ago. gently caress...don't let yourselves go. It's so easy to slip into and really loving hard to get back out.

$1000 is right at the top of my budget currently, so the Kombi looks like the winner here.

If you live somewhere with a robust local bike market a steel touring bike is going to be way cheaper than that, maybe even the cost of having heavier wheels built for it. That sounds like a better idea, I was just going straight for things that I know the manufacturer has designed and advertises that weight capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

How concerned should I be about being a few lbs over max rated vehicle weight on bikes? My family is looking at adding a 2nd cargo bike, something nicer than the Radwagon 4 that has been OK but definitely has some downsides, and we're trying to pick between the Tern Quick Haul vs HSD. Goal here is 1 adult + 1 kid, our kids are getting so big that carrying both kids on a single bike is more than my wife wants to carry in general.

I see that the Quick Haul has a 330lb gross vehicle weight limit, which puts us drat close to the limit with a 200lb rider, 65lb kid, bike that weighs just over 50lbs bare. That leaves less than 10lbs for bags, accessories, and future kid growth.

The HSD buys us a lot more weight rating room, with a 374lb weight rating and a bike that's only 6lbs heavier, but I think we'd prefer the Quick Haul if weight isn't a concern.

The Radwagon 4 that we already have and use regularly is rated for a lot more than either, with 350lbs of carrying capacity on top of the bike itself weighing 77lbs, but as our kids have gotten bigger my wife hates how the Radwagon feels when it's loaded that heavy, especially with its terrible brakes. I don't mind hauling both kids on it still, but you certainly feel it in everything that you're doing with it. 400lbs of bike + riders + cargo is just a lot.