Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
What's a good brand of jersey? Or do people just wear whatever? Looking for something obnoxiously colored and cool because it's so unbelievably hot lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
Willingly woke up at 6am to get some miles in before it got unbearably hot out. No cars and lovely weather. What a great sport.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
Are there any good intro to road biking guides? I've been doing it for about a year and a half, but mostly ride solo based on what feels right. I have no idea if there is anything I should be doing to improve my riding and I worry I'm developing bad habits. Even such simple things as when to stand when climbing, how to shift efficiently, mapping rides. I usually only do like 10-20 mile rides, with the occasional longer one.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
Went on a 67 mile ride this weekend, previous record length was 33 miles. My shoulders hurt so bad from keeping my head up for 4 hours and I've wanted to do nothing but eat and sleep for the 24 hours since finishing. I assume this gets easier the more I do it?

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
What about people yelling at you? I get so many fuckers in pickups yelling unintelligible stuff out of the window. It's amazing how many shut up and close their window when you catch them at the next traffic light.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
With outdoor cycling season coming to a close in NJ, my wife bough me a Saris H3 for my birthday. I've put an old bianchi road bike on it so I can still easily use my road bike on nice days. It's nice so far, but there seem to be a cornucopia of trainer apps out there. Do most people use Zwift or Rouvy or something else?

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
What do you guys watch while you're on the trainer? After 45 min/an hour it gets pretty grueling to just watch your zwift avatar. Are people putting shows/movies on a second screen?

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
Watching cycling sounds like a solid idea. I have terrible form when I'm on the trainer too, so I guess that's something to work on.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
Idk what I'd do all winter without zwift and my trainer

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

jesus WEP posted:

lol that strava protected your privacy on watopia

Well duh I don't want you to know where I live

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

TobinHatesYou posted:

Also what kind of psychopath goes up AdZ and ends the ride without coming down?

I didn't know that was a thing somehow.
:negative:
Now I have to do it all over again next weekend.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
What is a good standard chain cleaning regimen? Is a degreaser/chain cleaner tool really necessary, or is warm soapy water and a brush good enough?

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
My kids have bells on their bikes. Well, one has a rubber cat that squeaks instead of a bell. They like that they ding.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I did my longest ride ever yesterday (75 miles with 6k feet of climbing) and I just can't figure out how to effectively ride long distances. The first 35 was great. Then I hit the rest stop to fuel up and refill my bottles. The next 15 weren't bad, but everything after mile 50 was brutal. At 72 I completely ran out of gas.

How do you eat/ drink effectively on the bike and how do you keep your body going for hours and hours?

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

wooger posted:

Eat at least double the amount of simple carbs you normally do for every meal from lunch the day before till you ride.

Don’t eat a load of protein or fat for breakfast on the day.

Put sugar (of some sort) in your water bottles, amount depends on intensity of the ride, your weight etc, but 100g in 750ml is no problem. Drink sips regularly throughout from the very start.

For extremely long hard events you can get even 500g of sugar dissolved into a syrup in a 750ml bottle if you heat the water first - that always requires washing down with another bottle of plain water. But it works well.

Eat what you fancy at any stops.

A lot of what you and others have said makes total sense. I definitely went out way too fast at the start. It was cold, so I wanted to warm up, it was exciting passing some people on the first few climbs and I was just generally enjoying the route. I was probably biking at my standard 25ish mile pace. I had brought 2 bottles - one with sugar/electrolyte poo poo in it and the other plain. But, I put nowhere close to 100g of sugar in it. I used a single scoop of a spoon, so maybe 10g of sugar or so at most. Those bottles were all I had for the first 30ish miles, so I'm sure I was putting myself in a bad place after that.

Regarding stops/real food. Do you tend to just stop at designated rest stops? Or, do you plan periodic stops to eat something? My balance is so bad that I'd fall if I tried to eat while riding. I waved at a driver the other day who let me pass and almost crashed.

If my ride was in 3 parts it was: doing great, trudging along, and "oh god I'm going to die."

Live and learn I suppose. I have my first hundred-miler in 2 months.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
There's something really funny about filling water bottles with sugar as fuel for long rides. Like it makes total sense from a calorie standpoint and ease of consumption standpoint, but the last thing I made sugar water for was a hummingbird feeder.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I ride a giant defy. I do 99% road with just a few occasional gravel sections. I was thinking of swapping the stick 32mm giant fondo 1 tires for some gp5000 slicks. What width should I go with? The wheels are giant PR2s.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I did my first century this weekend and the recommendations in this thread about nutrition being key couldn't have been more correct. I filled one of my bottles with a 100g sugar solution and drank that over the first few hours. I also took full advantage of the 4 supported rest stops and ate a couple of bananas, a few Nutella sandwiches, a gel, and refilled my bottles with mostly sport drink. I never bonked, wasn't ravenously hungry for the rest of the day, and didn't crash as soon as I got home.

Thanks goons.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

EvilJoven posted:

My helmet saved my life today.

Time to buy a new one!

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
There was a goon in here that used Trainerroad and I recently made the switch to it from zwift and I can't figure out how to work outside rides into the mix. Do you just do outside rides on the off days? Or can you actually work them into the workout schedule.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
Can you find a smaller wife?

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
Sorry, I didn't mean the joke in any bad taste. Is Canyon known for sending the wrong size bike? Their stuff looks slick but the mail order aspect is a little foreign for me.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I think the standard is to go smaller rather than bigger if you're on the borderline.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I mostly road bike but have started biking on paths/gravel/grass with my 6-year-old son. Obviously, a road bike with clipless pedals isn't ideal for this, so I've been using my too-small mountain bike from when I was in middle school. I'd like to buy something a little more appropriate for this, and something that I can use for some of the local gravel/bike paths/cyclocross courses. What's a solid bike of this type that's sub $2000, ideally $1500 or less. Should I look for a cyclocross bike? A gravel bike? I'd like something with drop handle bars, a 1x groupset, and I'd toss some flat pedals on it.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I think I may have overemphasized one of my use cases (riding with my son) and underemphasized my other use case (doing the local gravel roads/CX courses with buddies). I have a Giant Defy as my road bike and it's great. I have 32mm GP 5000s on it and I could probably get a second wheel set and something knobby and swap them as needed. But, I'm lazy and don't want to have to swap things all the time and I'd rather keep my road bike fairly clean and have something else that gets ridden in mud, rain, winter, and whatever.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

Canyon Grizl 7 1by maybe? $1800ish?

That's a drat nice bike. Too bad they seem to be replacing them with a more expensive model. They either have a front suspension or are available in just XL/2XL. I'll keep an eye out though.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
Is there a 'how to' for chain waxing? The initial degreasing of the whole drive train sounds like the real challenge.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
Well, I just spent $140 at silca.com, ordered 2 new chains from my LBS, and am stealing my mom's old crock pot.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
Is that wear from their shoe hitting the crank? What on earth do their shoes look like?

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I don't know if I could ever do something like that. I think I'd go crazy. Congrats on the accomplishment

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
You guys are insane. 3 hours average a day... my wife would divorce me.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

vikingstrike posted:

The real answer that works for me (and I’m around 440-450 hours which is like 8ish hours a week average) is that my wife and I work together to give each other time to pursue individual interests even though we have a kid. That does mean sometimes given family obligations I ride the trainer late at night or early in the morning, but it also leaves lots of time for riding after work when it’s warm or going to the mountains on the weekends. May not work for your situation, but may be something to bring you if you have goals that would involve more time/volume.

And to get those 8 hours, it can be hard when it’s cold and I may fall short, but can make it up when it’s warmers. Generally though, I try to get maybe 2-3 hours in during M-F then knock out the rest over the weekend, where I try to get out early and back by lunch/early afternoon. Sometimes chasing day light works better on though for scheduling.

This is what works for me as well. My wife does morning marathon training while I take care of the kids and I do afternoon group bike rides while she takes care of the kids. It works for me, since I get some early-morning rides it and some midday rides, and I still get 7ish hours a week of riding. She gets about the same time for running. There aren't enough hours in the day for us each to get 21 hours of solo exercise time a week.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
Any thread opinion on giant tcr vs cannondale super six? My LBS is trying to clear inventory and letting them go for cost+what they paid for shipping.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

Figure this is as good a thread to ask in as any: does anyone have any experience with those Strider-style bikes for toddlers? It seems like the Woom bikes get the best reviews, but are also significantly more expensive and I'm not sure how much it matters for something he'll be using for a year.

Both of my kids started riding a strider bike when they were 2, and they were both able to ride a regular pedal bike by 4. The strider bikes are awesome at teaching them the balance that they need to ride a real bike. I'd recommend skipping the training wheels step entirely and just going from the strider bike to a real bike.

With kids bikes used is the way to go, as they grow out of them so fast. I have a strider bike collecting dust in my garage waiting for an interested friend of family member to want it.

edit: not that you should get a carbon strider (https://striderbikes.com/st-r/) but I would recommend a lighter balance bike because you'll end up carrying it when they decide they want to walk or when you have to carry them on your shoulders AND carry the bike AND carry the backpack full of waters/snacks that you brought to the playground with you.

Hutzpah fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 15, 2024

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I'm going to San Diego this summer for a conference and will be there for 5 days. I'm thinking of renting a road bike and trying to ride a few of the nights that I'm there. Has anyone been there or live there and have any routes they recommend?

I'm staying near the convention center for what it's worth

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

tildes posted:

Whoever was looking for a place to ride in San Diego, I was looking for this as well, and what I found was this 24 mile route which stops by the convention center: https://www.sandiego.org/articles/biking/bike-route-bayshore-bikeway.aspx

I didn't end up doing it myself, but curious if you try it what you think, or if you find something else since it seems like I keep ending up going back to that convention center. It sort of looked like mountain biking might be the move, but without a car it was a bit too much of a hassle to get places.

This looks pretty chill. I could rent a cheap cruiser and spend a couple of hours doing this in my regular clothes. Thanks for sharing!

The other ride looked a little more serious. I'd probably bring my pedals/shoes/road kit and rent a real road bike if I go that route. Time to figure out how much of this conference I actually need to attend...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I imagine he means glucose.