Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

e.pilot posted:

updated the design a bit and moved the fake sponsors to the back:

waiting to hear back from racmmer at the moment to work on the design with them and will hopefully have something ready to go soonish as far as ordering goes

I'm in for one, if there's gonna be a women's my wife is in as well.

Love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010
I like to climb in the drops because then I'm not splitting my fingers across the brifters and I can pull on the bars harder. :shrug:

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

e.pilot posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Hey it’s the new year, time to do a second run of Trashkits, orders will close out at midnight Z on Feb 5th.

https://forms.gle/3aK1aZoH4CvA9QLu6

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Absolutely in for a jersey. Can't miss it again!

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010
I love that the 530 has a "navigate back to start" button that can either retrace your route or calculate a shortest path using the map regions you load. Saved my butt both road and mountain biking.

Setting up the data screens initially is obtuse though.

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

Anachronist posted:

I can't believe nobody here is mentioning the virtues of 3x. If a little chainring choice is good, more is better. I run 54/42/28 with a 9-40 cassette and thankfully can both crank myself along at 50mph (on the flats obviously) and climb 14% grades with a full trans-america touring load at 3 mph. The only issue is I go through chains really fast because they drag on the pavement a little when I'm in the little-little combo.

Counterpoint: maintaining and adjusting a triple sucks and nobody should be subjected to it. Also your chain is actually drooping to the pavement? :staredog:

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

tarlibone posted:

Oh, affordable, but not sketchy. Right around $1K or thereabouts. We're not talking about a new main bike here. I'm just thinking about what to do with some of my bonus, and I don't know for sure if I'll go for another bike. It's getting a little silly in the garage at the moment. I'm just thinking about something for when I'm in the mood for a slower ride on surfaces that aren't nice rail trails. I believe that with the bike market going the way it is, sooner or later, there'll be deals to be had, and I'm not in a big hurry or anything. I'll keep my eyes open for some used bikes, too, although I doubt I'll find many steel frames that are set up for gravel.

The State All Road is under $1000 and is a great platform for gravel riding, though you'll have to be comfortable putting it together and adjusting it. Wife has one and loves it.

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

tildes posted:

Does anyone have recs for a bar tape which looks like this but is not $50? https://supacaz.com/product/bling-tape-oil-slick-w-oil-slick-plugs/

I realize this tape is maybe not objectively attractive but for whatever reason making my bike look like a counter strike skin rly appeals to me

E: some cheaper versions like this https://a.co/d/eGsf4nU and some Ali express ones out there actually. Curious if there are specific manufacturers people like for bar tape though

I really like Supacaz tape and they often run sales around holidays so you can just wait a bit, I don't think I've paid more than $25 for a set. Their Amazon store might have it cheaper as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

tarlibone posted:

Does anyone have experience with cable-actuated hydraulic disc brakes?

State has some cable-actuated hydraulic calipers, and they say they're a drop-in replacement. The reviews are all good. I'm completely aware that these are rebranded Chinese imports, but so is most of that bike, so whatever.

I upgraded two sets of cable disk bikes to the State cable hydros when they had em on sale last year and I've been happy with them. Replacing the stock brake cable housing on the 4130 with Jagwire compressionless was a good upgrade too. We took em on multiday bikepack trips and they held up to a season of cyclocross too, nice to have single finger braking with cables even in the cold.