Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

LimburgLimbo posted:

I’ve heard that disc breaks are pointless and steel is real please c/d?!

Disc breaks are round how could they have points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Hello, I have a question regarding bicycle production cycles or something.
I want to buy a road bike in a few months, but looking around on the internet it looks like there are a bunch of 2021 models that are already out of stock in a bunch of places (at least in common sizes). Will those be restocked at some point or will there be a continuous bike shortage until the 2022 models are starting to come in? Or more specifically, it it a dumb idea to buy a bike next spring?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

EvilJoven posted:

I'm not going to go into details because I don't know if I'm allowed to, but what I do know I'm allowed to say is that 2021 is definitely going to be another year of finding something close enough to what you want and jumping on it. There are definitely going to be supply issues this year.

If you have a particular bike in mind go to the shop that supplies it, find out if they have it on booking and ask if they'll notify you as soon as it arrives. Ideally they'll give you first dibs. Don't wait until one just hits the showroom floor and expect that if it sells out they'll be able to order you one in your size.

Also, nobody sell their bike with the expectation of buying something new when it arrives because suppliers are even cancelling bikes on shops booking orders. I know several who've gotten phone calls from major players telling them that they're going to be missing stock for this spring.

Good to know, thank you!

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Isn't the steamroller frame $500? $1400 for parts sounds like a lot unless you picked expensive wheels.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Guinness posted:

While rim brakes are perfectly fine, in the year 2020 there's no reason to not get disc brakes for most people. If your bike sees wet and grit at all there's no discussion, discs are better.

They're better, but expensive. If you buy an entry level road bike, the disc version is most likely going to be heavier, have worse components and cost more.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Now I can finally feel vindicated in my irrational rejection of non-traditional cockpit designs, yay!

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Are there really that many bike parts on that one ship or is the industry just glad there’s an excuse now

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

That's why I think every Olympic competition should have one randomly chosen regular person in it to show people who don't know the sport what a normal pace/distance/whatever is.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

...underwear? :confused:

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

The Abus Bordo is available as a combination lock. Probably not going to pass as "small" though.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

learnincurve posted:

“If something is free then you are the product”

The problem with that saying is that people always think the reverse is implied. On Strava Premium, you're still the product.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I don't know what you're looking for exactly, but there are some extreme geometry differences between those bikes. The Midnight Special is rather aggressive, the Vaya is the most upright gravel bike I have ever seen.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I started the day with an involuntary 20 minute break and the realisation that this new route I was riding has one drawback: Lifting bridges are sometimes, um, lifted.

But then I rode through apple fields for hours which was pretty great.

Stopped for coffee and cake

with a view!

And found this spectacular road.

Then back across the Elbe

and onto the couch to watch other people ride bikes.

Bikes are great.

Peggotty fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 3, 2021

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Serendipitaet posted:

Hell yeah, very cool. I live on the other side of the Stadtpark and I don't go south of the Elbe as much as I should because of the city traffic.

That's understandable, on shorter weekday rides I usually go north as well, but it's okay on the weekend, especially if you start early. And having a ferry ride on your way back is just so chill.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Cut open a Haribo bag with scissors and put it in a back pocket. Easy one handed snack access.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Wifi Toilet posted:

Yeah, I don’t know why bike companies do this “lower number is better” thing. Scott does it, Felt does it, even Fizik does it with their saddles. It’s annoying.

The only thing worse is changing it around at some point, while keeping the rest of the naming system. Looking at you, Giant.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Just get in the habit of unclipping a few seconds earlier.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

No you're right, Giant is almost always cheaper than Specialized or Trek. No idea whether that means they just spend less on the frame or something though.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

I bought two and love them and now I'm worried I'm killing my pixel!

It’s not that it will instantly kill your camera or something, but the constant vibration ruins the autofocus over time.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

Was Ostroy the one that got busted taking some random design they find online to use on their jersey?

Yes, the jersey literally still had the shutterstock watermark

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

You should dial in your fit and your clothes. Something that is a slight annoyance after 50km can feel like absolute hell after 200km.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Sab0921 posted:

Anyone have experience with Adidas cycling products?

These look cool

https://www.adidas.com/us/the-road-cycling-shoes/GW5327.html

I have some bibs and jerseys and I think they're fine, especially if you consider that they're fairly cheap compared to cycling specific companies. I can't imagine the shoes would be bad either, aside from the fact that I don't understand why people like laced cycling shoes.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

How do you never ride in the drops, do you live somewhere with no mountains and no wind?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Some people don’t even wear a helmet in their car, even though driving is more dangerous and wearing a helmet is even more convenient because you can leave it in the car when you arrive. It’s insane!

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Quick question: how many of the anti bicycle helmet people itt aren't American?

I‘m not American. And I’m also not anti helmet, I almost always wear a helmet when I’m on a bike, which is something very few people in my country do. I am however 100% anti telling other people to wear a helmet, because I do think that it is victim blaming and not only that, it is also enforcing the myth that biking is dangerous and driving isn’t. All those „wear your helmet“ people would never wear a helmet in their car, even though they could injure their head in a car and they could easily wear a helmet. More easily than on a bike even.

Edit: obviously it’s not victim blaming in every case, there’s nothing wrong with parents telling their kids to wear a helmet, but in they way it’s done in this thread or on Reddit it’s meant to blame victims.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Objurium posted:

I pushed myself probably harder than I ever have on a bicycle before over the last 20 miles to get to a pizzeria before they closed, judiciously destroying an entire pie on my own like a true gluttonous dirtbag.

This is a completely non-cycling related and probably stupid question, but this has confused me for a while. Are pizzas in America always gigantic or do they consist of only oil or something? People often say they ate an entire pizza in a way that makes it sound monstrous and absurd, but in my experience that's how you eat pizza. I can't remember the last time I ate pizza in a different quantity than one. Like, when you go to a pizzeria (in literally every country I ever ordered a pizza in), everyone orders exactly one pizza and that's how much you eat. Are American pizzas always so huge that you have to be in a group of people to order one? Are there no individual-sized pizzas in the US?

(Great post though!)

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Guinness posted:

bike price inflation has unfortunately made that a very difficult price/component target to hit anymore :(

Jesus. Not that long ago there were $1000 bikes with mostly 105 components. But I guess maybe modern Tiagra is better than 105 was 10 years ago.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

corona familiar posted:

yeah it feels like the alternative is chews or gels but also hate the amount of waste they produce since they're all individually wrapped.

If you do this regularly you can make your own bars if you want. Like this for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVN7iLCoyyc&t=23s

(I'm talking about the rice cakes starting at 0:23)

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Wolves aren't dangerous to people. Disregard this advice if you look like a sheep.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

tarlibone posted:

This may sound like a silly question, but I'm curious: for those of you who cycle in street clothes (like when running errands or commuting), if you're on a bike without a chainring or chain guard of some kind, what are you doing to keep your right pant leg away from the chain? I usually either tight-roll that pant leg or stuff it into my sock, whichever works best for whatever I'm wearing, but I wonder how some of y'all deal with it.

Theoretical answer: I use a strap like this
Real answer: I forget to bring the strap and get stains on my trousers.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

wooger posted:

Or used, caad13 105 disc can be had for under £1000 pretty easily. The Sprint just makes no sense at that price. All Specialized stuff is overpriced in Europe, was the same when I rode mtb in the 90s.

All American bike brands are overpriced in Europe sadly.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I need some advice: Is it an extremely dumb idea to buy a (used, but very sparingly) Surly Long Haul Trucker 26'' in tyool 2024 or a moderately dumb idea? I would use it for commuting and maybe hauling some stuff over long distances (but I don't do that enough to spend 2k on something). Can you even still buy decent 26''' tires?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

bicievino posted:

Are you looking at this model specifically because there's a cheap one available? If not, what draws you to this bike?

Yes, a friend of a friend is selling one that he bought right before the pandemic and then never used. But now I think it's too small anyway. I'll probably end up buying something for commuting and postpone the touring bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Yesterday I rode my road bike for the first time in 7 months because of (Post-)Covid bullshit. Turns out, bikes are still awesome. gently caress this stupid disease.