Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

thinking about getting a trainer so I can bike in the evenings after work without needing to pay so much attention to inattentive drivers or getting blown over by wind.

I try to bike on the weekends but I live in a tiny city apartment and bringing my heavy outdoor bike up and down the stairs would probably give me an excuse to slack off, so it would probably also involve getting some cheap Craigslist bike for dedicated indoor use

is it worth it? I've done some light research on both "wheel on" trainers and "direct drive" trainers and the reviews seem very mixed. they also seem pretty expensive new; secondhand would be a good option to get a feel for things

alternatively I could try and bike outside more during the week :yaycloud:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Salt Fish posted:

Trainers are super loud and horrible to use. But having said that if you're one of the rare people that can use one for an hour every day you'll be buff as hell.

thanks for the heads up about the noise. I think ideally I would use this in the apartment, but I could also set it up in what little garage space I have if it came to that

interested in what you dislike about using a trainer. I've never used one before (only crappy gym stationary bikes years ago and biking outdoors) so I don't have a frame of reference

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Go for it! It's not the real thing but it's absolutely legitimate workout that you can challenge yourself with and enjoy.

amenenema posted:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/09/zwift-hub-499-smart-trainer-hands-on-a-competition-killer.html

Trainers actually rule, probably the fastest way to get faster. Get direct drive for sure.

thanks for the pointers! any opinions on the Kickr Core? I actually saw this link right before I posted and the banner at the top inspired me to write that post. I have an ELEMNT Bolt for rides so maybe it makes sense given it looks very comparable to the Zwift Hub? seems like the noise is comparable too

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 18, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

thanks everyone! definitely would plan to have a (couple of) fans if I do set this up at home. seems like if noise is comparable to fans it won't be too bad? it's not like I don't already have air purifiers running :coronatoot:

aha, thanks. I had this thread bookmarked but not the other one. I'll go check it out

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 18, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Mederlock posted:

So we have a lot of wildfire smoke in my local area right now, with AQI's around 200 and high PM2.5 levels. What's everyone's approach to cycling in these kind of conditions, especially when it's protracted and really digging into your opportunities to get out for a ride?

Is it just as simple as a N95 mask and scaling back the intensity some? Are there any sports respirators out there that are actually worth a drat? I wear a half and full respirator a lot of the time at work so having a mask on my face for hours isn't really an issue for me.

I've been wearing N95s or a P100 respirator 100% of the time while cycling outdoors and I honestly prefer my elastomeric respirator with an exhaust valve (3M Secure Click with D3091 soft P100 cartridges) over a disposable N95 without a valve

an N95 (in my case, 3M Aura 9210) can be pretty breathable when you're breathing IN (like to the point where your speed will force air through the mask) but after like 15-20 mins of hard exertion you're gonna have condensation build up on the inside of the mask and you'll have more trouble breathing OUT. because of the moisture, you also end up having to replace the mask like every other ride, which can add up

you can wear valved masks like the 3M Aura 9211 which helps a lot with exhale, but it doesn't fix the moisture replacement problem, and they're like 3x the unit price per mask

the respirator is heavier and it's like 3-5% less breathable, but I honestly find it easier to wear when riding hard and I'd rather rinse it out after a ride than chuck a half dozen extra masks out every month

in other news, to surface a question about trainers I asked earlier; I ended up getting a Wahoo Kickr Core since it was deeply on sale and I've actually enjoyed using it with the SYSTM stuff. I have it hooked up to my TV with a ridiculous screen mirroring setup and I ended up doing like 100km the first week

then I ended up finally installing some old two-bolt SPD pedals a friend gave me years ago and getting some okay shoes that I can still walk outside in

then I ended up wanting bib shorts because 100km a week on a trainer hurts :saddumb:

then I started looking at jerseys because bib shorts have no pockets

then I decided to bike 60km to a friend's birthday party rather than take a train because I felt more confident about my performance after like 200km on the trainer

is this how it starts. am I a cyclist now

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 15, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Mederlock posted:

Oh sweet, perfect that respirator is just the thing. I already have the bayonet style pink pancake respirators but that would've been.. a little much to be seen wearing on the trail. But that looks a lot better and still offers the same protection. Thanks!

:tipshat:

one thing about the D3091 cartridges; they are very breathable but it feels a little dodgy to get them wet because they're soft. if you bike in rain and want something that's practically waterproof, the D9093 hard shell is great for that. it's maybe like ~80% as breathable though so I only put them on when it's raining

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Serendipitaet posted:

I did my longest ride last Saturday, totaling 211km in about 7:20h of riding and close to 10h of total elapsed time.

Hope you guys enjoyed my little trip report. :)

impressive pace! sounds like a great day for a long ride. I like the photos as well :popclap:

I did my first metric century two weekends ago and I started feeling it around km 80, so 200km+ is aspirational for me. it was a bit of a loop around the Marin area north of San Francisco with some hills

after getting trainer-pilled I've got a few things on my mind now:

• can I get a power meter for outside on 2 bolt SPD cleats without spending more on that than my actual bike (Triban RC120, so a pretty cheap road bike)
  • is it even worth getting a power meter for a cheap bike or non-road-bike cleats? I want to measure my outdoor rides so I can compare with trainer performance (specifically climbs and sustained FTP) but maybe makes more sense to get a bike with better parts or bike fit or something else first
  • out of two bib shorts I got, I started noticing numbness with the thinner chamois on the trainer but not when outside (probably because I'm moving around less on the trainer). the thicker one has no issues so I'm starting to look into replacing the saddle my bike came with to reduce pressure on ~ the anatomy ~

any recs on either? for saddles I was looking at the Specialized Phenom since it's kinda on sale and has good reviews, but would be interested in others

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

charliebravo77 posted:

Check out Stages refurb/blemished and see if they have a left side crank option that works for you. I just ordered one for my bike for $209.

https://stagescycling.com/en_us/product/power-meters/recycled

nice, thanks for the tip!

My bike appears to have a house brand crankset but it seems like other versions / regions of the same model use Shimano Tourney parts for the bottom bracket. the groupset is Microshift 8-speed which is Shimano-compatible - I used a Shimano 8-speed cassette for my trainer and it's ~90-95% there

what would be the best way to check compatibility? are Shimano crank arms compatible with each other as long as they're the correct length (like could I get a 105 crank arm and use that)

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Wifi Toilet posted:

Bike Closet is legit. I’ve ordered from them a couple times with no problems.

agree, I have bought all of my bike clothing from them and they were perfect, new in packaging for like 30-80% off

fast shipping too but they're like 80km from me

only downside is that they tend to have strange sizes but I figure it's all out-of-season overstock

ilkhan posted:

You've got a couple options for power meters, I like pedals because they are easily portable between bikes if needed. The Shimano Garmin dual sided rally ones are my plan when I decide to pull the trigger. Not cheap, but good quality and can switch cleat style if needed.

yeah these were at the top of my list since I can probably use them forever with future bikes. just not sure I can justify $1k for numbers :sadpeanut:

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 9, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Serendipitaet posted:

Keep it up and you’ll get there! Most important thing for me is being comfortable in the saddle. I got a bike fit including a new saddle this year and it has made a huge difference. Then comes fitness and fuel.

thanks! I just got a new saddle yesterday with a channel (Specialized Phenom) and it seems a bit better with the thinner bib I have. I'll have to test it on the trainer but think combined with the endurance bib I use for long rides it'll be pretty good

endurance is definitely my weakness right now for long rides. it doesn't help that most long outdoor rides around here necessitate a few decent climbs. definitely plan to work on those

Serendipitaet posted:

I stand by the Fischbrötchen, it really hit the spot. :colbert:

:hellyeah:

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 9, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

brand engager posted:

5W ftp reveal

:yeah: do you plan on eventually upgrading to the two pedal version?

tarlibone posted:

I'm... an idiot.

at least you didn't get heatstroke :shrug:

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 12, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

no drivetrain required

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Awkward Davies posted:

I’d probably just get an Apple Watch tbh. A bike computer is attractive but I don’t think I’ve passed the “serious cyclist” threshold to justify one.

On another topic, gravel worlds is happening in Nebraska right now and it looks wild. Someone I follow on socials posted his bike computer at mile 0, 299 miles to go. Insane.

I'd say a bike computer is worth it if you find yourself biking 10 mi/km or more outdoors consistently once a week or more and you want to track your stats. It's way easier (and thereby safer when riding) to start and navigate a dedicated device with physical buttons than a phone or watch, it keeps some useful info right in front of you, and you can avoid running down the battery on things that might be useful in an emergency

a decent bike computer is like the same price as an entry level smartwatch, so if you don't really care about smartwatch stuff a computer is imo the better buy

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 26, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

ilkhan posted:

What screens/fields do y'all run on your bike computers?

I have an elemnt bolt and mostly use the default info screen (from top: speed, distance, clock, moving time, HR, cadence, calories, speed average, speed max) and the elevation screen (speed, grade, ascent, descent, vam, elevation, cadence, upcoming profile chart).

i think it requires the phone app to change but I might ditch the calorie and max speed counters for something else

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

did my second metric century yesterday. had some oatmeal and coffee and some gummy snacks beforehand and felt great for the first half. second half I ate a clif bar and i had some stomach pains for like 30km. was a bit worried I'd have to abort but ended up resolving on its own after km 80.

felt pretty tired immediately afterwards but had a cookie, horchata, and Thai food and today is fine

:feelsgood:

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 28, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

TobinHatesYou posted:

You should eat more than that for 5 hours of moving time, even at 20km/h. At 43g of carbs per Clif Bar, you should have at least one bar per hour minimum just to get by and one every half hour would be better. Personally I just use liquid nutrition, gels or like maple syrup because on a ride I basically only want carbs, salt and water. A Clif Bar ends up being 68g total, so you have 25g of protein/fat/fiber that aren't doing a whole lot for you energy wise and may even be slowing the rate of absorption in your gut.

yeah more nutrition is a good idea. I also had a gel and a pack of honey stingers that I didn't mention but probably need more than that

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

yeah it feels like the alternative is chews or gels but also hate the amount of waste they produce since they're all individually wrapped. been snacking on gummy fruit snacks while on the trainer; is that or just straight up drinking syrup the best option?

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

jamal posted:

For a recent 100mi mtb race I went about 10hrs on just drink mix, shot bloks, and gels. I've been liking the orange flavoured tailwind, and in the bigger like 26oz bottles I'll usually put in like 2.5 scoops or so. Two of those then adds up to about 500 calories, so if I drink a bottle an hour and have a couple of blocks or a gel or something it keeps me in a good spot, and is fairly easy to keep track of, and involves a minimal amount of opening wrappers and chewing.

For casual rides yeah just stop and eat something on a regular basis. Go to a store and get a coke, a candy bar, some chips, etc. Ideally mostly carbs. I would probably not try to eat two clif bars an hour for 5 hours on a 100k ride though. Yesterday I went on a nice long road/gravel ride with over 5hrs moving time. had a clif bar, a lara bar, a gel, some shot blocks, a waffle, two bottles of mix to start and then just water refills after that, and a can of coke and a twix at a store about 3/4 of the way through. Then stopped at a brewery close to home and had dinner and some beers. It was nice.

nice photos! looks like a great day

buying some candy on the way is a good idea, I'll keep that in mind. I'll also check out Tailwind powder. I need to do a better job of planning stops to eat something since I can't exactly gulp stuff while moving while wearing a respirator.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Peggotty posted:

If you do this regularly you can make your own bars if you want. Like this for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVN7iLCoyyc&t=23s

(I'm talking about the rice cakes starting at 0:23)

drat this guy is so tall. I'll get some MCT and try it out!

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

If you can do 62 miles you can do 100. It’s just hydration and nutrition.

that and time. I need to wake up a lot earlier on the weekends to do longer rides and that doesn't happen reliably :lofty:

(and I also need to find longer routes where I'm not battling cars)

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 30, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

tarlibone posted:

Hey Bikegoons!

GUESS WHAT THE THE FUDGING FUDGE HAPPENED??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

did they reschedule for a night when you had a gig

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Slavvy posted:

Does it count as one ride if you stop to sleep halfway

depends on if you leave the wahoo running but paused :hmmyes:

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

tarlibone posted:

I just signed up for a basic bike fit next Tuesday. I'm going to try to address the arm discomfort and big toe numbness i'm getting around mile 50 or so. Also, it's been a year on the road bike now. Time to see how bad my position is!

are you going to a physiotherapist or a bike shop? have been thinking about doing a bike fit as well but I would rather get it covered by insurance since paying half-my-bike cost for it out of pocket seems somewhat silly

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

abraham linksys posted:

but add in the sun, and headwinds, and my tired legs, and this was the most brutal thing I've ever done on a bike.

drat, nice job. and on a folding bike too!

it sounds like you ran out of glycogen at some point and didn't really have the food to replace it. 90 miles on what you ate feels difficult. I had a much more substantial breakfast for my 60 mi ride earlier, and more food during the ride that was geared towards cycling (gummy candy and a gel), and while I didn't totally crash I was definitely like 20-30% weaker and mega hungry at the end

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 2, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

abraham linksys posted:

~two hours on the Metro North from Poughkeepsie to Harlem-125 St and then a short taxi ride the rest of the way home (another nice option I get with the Brompton)

yeah, i could definitely see that. i will say didn't really feel "hungry" in the traditional sense, but i also was experiencing a lot of new aches and pains in places i did not previously know could hurt so maybe i was very hungry and just not noticing with everything else going on. got a box of food in from The Feed today so i'll at least be able to wafel and bar it up next time

another thing to consider is repetitive strain on joints and other parts that you probably wouldn't experience on a shorter ride because of exhaustion weakening your form.

did you use clipless pedals? before I started using those, I noticed that I would start getting pains in my knees on longer rides as my legs became more tired and less able to keep my knees from moving side to side. I found the pedals helped because I could use different leg muscles to help apply force while pedaling and avoid exhaustion as quickly

will defer to others with way more experience than me, I'm still pretty new to this :kiddo:

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

I made the bike go from the train station to the ocean today

had a friend join impromptu partway and had a good time. they're pretty new to cycling so we took a relaxed pace and lots of breaks (7h 30m total time)

in preparation for this trip I went and bought some GU drink mix (the "Roctane" stuff with maltodextrin, fructose; it seemed pretty similar to the home brew GCN powder drink posted earlier). also got some gels, chews, and stroopwafels

I hadn't originally planned for two people's worth of food but since the effort was much lower it ended up working out for me. was able to split the food that I had packed and we made a stop at a grocery store to get some candy and more water. I lucked out and brought two refills of the drink mix in a little bottle so we were able to make that work too

the ride up the hill was pretty chill and low traffic, and the ride down was pretty fun. the horizontal bit in the hills was the most annoying part since we had to ride in the lane and deal with a lot of rude drivers who felt compelled to honk and yell out the window as they sped past :rant: tried to shield my friend from the worst of it but yeesh

took the bus and then the train home. overall a good day

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 3, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Shadowhand00 posted:

My overly long PBP 2023 report:

:popclap:

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

wanna see that rider do a metric century wearing the space suit

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

actionjackson posted:

I made it up a hill that was pretty challenging (well, for me!). i tried to shift to an easier gear and realized there weren't any more left! when I got the top I immediately got off the bike and laid down on the ground, and a woman who had watched my very slow ascent stopped to ask me if I needed an ambulance

:bisonyes:

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

meh would rather get grease on leg than grease on clothes

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Slavvy posted:

I used to do this but I can no longer deny the benefit of clip ins on long rides, my main bike has combination flats/spd and I really notice the extra effort when I ride using the flats in normal shoes

yeah same. I started using SPD pedals as my first and only clip-in system and when I use bikeshare or a rental bike I find myself trying to ride it like I'm clipped in and my legs get really confused

based on my friends experiences with other pedals and what I've read it seems like SPD is the best compromise pedal for amateur riding where you get the pedalstroke benefits and few downsides. I'd only really switch if I also spent wayy more on a sporty bike with nice components or I somehow started getting seriously into cycling events and needed to optimize further

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Awkward Davies posted:

Almost got hit by a dodge charger during my ride today. I wasn’t even on the bike, I was walking it across a sketchy intersection with the walk light on. Did the driver stop and let me cross after I yelled? Of course not, he peeled out to the point I saw his rear tires lose traction and sped off.

Sometimes I feel bad about having an antagonistic relationship with cars while riding and other times I hope they wrap themselves around a pole and live the rest of their lives in pain and disability.

(Must have been my no show socks).

all cars are bad and antisocial by design tbh. you can minimize but not eliminate the damage

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

did my monthly metric century yesterday. thought things would be smoother than last time since I've had time to train consistently and I tried to address a few things that happened in the past

July

August

September (this past weekend)

(all estimated wattage. don't have a power meter yet)

nutrition;
  • a bit of oatmeal and maple syrup in the morning before the ride
  • penciled out 320g of carbs (varied between Clif Bloks, trying Maurten gels, drink mix). seemed to help keep things more consistent
  • powered through 4+ bottles of water and two bottles of drink mix
  • pizza and horchata from Arizmendi's after the ride

good bits;
  • felt like I had a lot of anaerobic capacity for bursts and magically overcoming hills
  • turned out to be a nice day
  • got to try out some sun sleeves
  • maurten gels are nice
  • got into a good rhythm on some parts where I could sit and go 35km/h without being annoyed at gears

sidegrades;
  • had some stomach issues again earlier in the ride this time. maybe I should avoid oatmeal for breakfast entirely
  • although I'm training indoors, I don't wear a mask while training. I think wearing an elastomeric respirator outdoors and not having consistent cooling is starting to affect my overall pace. couldn't sustain efforts for that long when I was going slowly up a hill with direct sun and no breeze. maxed out my HR (high 180s) on several occasions even though I almost never max out HR at home
  • staying hydrated also means finding restrooms along the way
  • lots of headwinds this time

bad vibes;
  • dropped and broke my sunglasses right outside my apartment :negative: was looking into prescription cycling glasses but they are so expensive
  • think I got overeager from caffeine earlier in the day and spent too much energy before the big climbs in the route
  • almost got into multiple tourist-bike crashes on the Golden Gate Bridge. people are way too aggressive about passing
  • generally felt kinda tired from earlier in the week so I was kinda wary of the effort and had to convince myself to commit to the ride
  • maurten drink mix is pretty gross
  • developed some pain in my right hip flexor during the ride which eventually led to me taking it easy on that leg later on. It's still somewhat tender today when using that leg. hoping it heals soon

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 26, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Shadowhand00 posted:

Good consistency! What's the route you're taking?

this is the gist of it (I'll also edit my post):

I've kept 95% the same route these past 3 months so I'm decently comfortable with it now. I've been tweaking bits of it to try and avoid conflict with cars and signaled intersections (to different degrees of success)

this time I tried to bike up Townsend instead of Market, which reduced the amount of time I have to wait for downtown traffic in exchange for a dicey conflict with the big bus stop next to the train station :whitewater:

also avoided Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf, which swapped conflicts with tourist drivers and cobblestones for a big hill. kinda threw off my ability to climb the Fort Mason hill afterwards :shobon:

and finally I took Strava's advice and took a bike path in Corte Madera instead of biking next to the mall. that was a straight up improvement

biking from Sausalito to the bridge, I've decided always always bike up the back way from Fort Baker even though you end up losing half your elevation along the way. the road is way less treacherous and SUVs won't murder you while honking

my only gripe with the route is that it has lots of hills on the return journey coming back after you're more than 75km in. there's no real way around it imo unless you finish up by biking laps up and down the Embarcadero

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 26, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Shadowhand00 posted:

A bit too many car-centric roads on your route for my taste. If you’re interested in some routes that push out a little farther north, there’re several that go through Fairfax and put you either at China camp or Point Reyes. Can link some if you’re interested. Obviously, coming back from the bridge, there will be small 300 foot hills (usually about 4-5) through the route, but they’re great for pushing that workout to the next step :)

yeah, I'm interested in new routes!

since I'm not very comfortable with field repairs and I'm waiting for a cyclist friend to get around to replacing a stolen bike, I've been trying to stay somewhat close to population centers so I can bail out via bus or ferry or visit a bike shop if I suffer mechanical failure or injury. some bits in the city and some segments coming back from Tiburon could do with a lot less traffic for sure. I've found paradise loop to be alright

if I were to go further out I think I'd pack more stuff and it would turn into more of a trip than a workout, but that's not a bad thing

is there such a thing as AAA for cyclists? e; they literally do AAA for cyclists, interesting

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 26, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Shadowhand00 posted:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/1770391 - Point Reyes 120k

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/1412868 - Paradise and China Camp 90ish-k

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42512989 - Take the train back from millbrae

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35142562 - When you're ready to take on Mt. Tam

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35142612 - China camp to Lucas Valley Road is a good loop

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42456926 - 6 slices of pizza

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28260637 - Mixed Terrain but it includes Marin Headlands - You oughta to attempt that.

All of these are randonneuring populaires but they're a good starter kit for really getting to know some of the regular routes around the area.

Thanks for the recs! I'll take a look. I've starting looking at RWGPS routes recently and some of the longer more remote routes are intimidating so I appreciate the pointers

I'm wary of gravel since I have 700x28 road tires but have done a few kms slowly before (Los Altos creek trail to the reservoir)

evil_bunnY posted:

are you riding outdoors with an elastomeric? that’s baller but also how are you alive

it's not too bad :shrug: the secure click with D3091 has pretty decent airflow

since I only got into cycling after 2020, I've always worn it while biking long distances so I'm pretty used to it. it certainly helps with brisk weather and when people on the beach are burning god knows what

if I'm well away from others and I have a pannier to stow it I'll take it off, but my routes are either pretty busy or I don't pack so much so I only had the opportunity to do that recently on my San Jose - Santa Cruz trip.

I think for most trips it's fine, but evidently I can't reach indoor trainer "peak performance" while wearing it and that gap will probably grow wider unless I start training to maximize O2 efficiency. the other downside is that I need to stop to doff both helmet and mask before I can eat or drink so I schedule those

it's better than a disposable N95 imo and I can just wash it out afterwards

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Mederlock posted:

Yeah it's more.. pinpoint soreness? And it's directly along that kneecap edge yeah. Usually starts if I pedal hard for a while, and then I berate myself and ease up for the rest of the ride

sounds like some tendonitis connecting your quads to your knee

https://sportsmedicine.mayoclinic.org/condition/kneecap-instability-patellar-tendinitis/

probably a good idea to ease into your efforts or do some stretches after 30 mins or so of activity, and try to avoid straining it for a few weeks so it can fully heal. if you are experiencing this on a recurring basis I'd see a physiotherapist if you can. there might also be changes to your bike fit or posture that could help

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 27, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

numberoneposter posted:

RULE #24 // Speeds and distances shall be referred to and measured in kilometers.

I agree with this on bikes (even though I'm "strange" and use metric as an American) because then it becomes way easier to think about elevation and grade when it's all km and meters

using feet to measure elevation and miles to measure distance is chaos

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Slavvy posted:

Are you telling me you don't shave your legs?? You're leaving watts on the table!

not to mention grams

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

spf3million posted:

Y'all need to get a dyno and permanent front/rear lights and never think about lights again.

think about the watts!

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Platystemon posted:

That’s how you get KOM/QOM.

All Out

This ride was extremely difficult. It pushed me well beyond my abilities and took a massive amount of energy and focus to complete. You’ll feel like you barely made it to the end of this ride, and that you had to pull out every mental trick in the book to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Platystemon posted:

Powerful artificers are at work in Toronto.

Artisanal carbon fiber, must've cost a fortune