Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

jiffypop45 posted:

Any idea what sort of bars these are? They look like some sort of aero/butterfly hybrid but I can't figure out what they are.

looks like a scott at-4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

I'm looking at buying a fixed gear/single speed (Wabi) because I love throwing money away on a whim, and I'm curious about anyone else's experience with bullhorn handlebars with the top mounted brakes.

It seems like shifting from the "hoods" position to the flats to brake would make you really unstable and prone to torquing the handlebars one way or another? Or are the flats on bullhorns like that fairly spacious? I'm picturing having to grab for the flats on my Specialized Crux whenever I need to brake suddenly and the thought scares me.

Just an irrational fear?

I know the real answer is run it fixie and forget the brakes, but I'm new to single speeds so will probably run the freewheel side for a while...

If I were riding on a singlespeed /w bullhorn bars, I'd want tt / reverse brake levers at the ends of the horns, rather than interrupter levers. Not my bike, but you get the idea: https://i.imgur.com/DesMRSY.jpg. It's also possible to have both kinds of levers on the bars, if you want to be able to brake from both hand positions.

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

This is all great, thanks. As far as what size 'big BMX', I would want something comparable in size to my Giant, so basically I've been looking at stuff 26" and up. Some of the stuff from SE Bikes, as well as the Haro Downtown, are what I've been eyeing, mostly. Gearing is still a concern, like I said the only thing I really don't like about the BMX is that I wish it had a higher top speed; I know this isn't really what they're for which is why I'm wondering if that's even what I want.

The Surly Lowside is BMX inspired kinda? The completes are single speed but there's a derailleur hanger on the frame if you want to use it. Not cheap, though.

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

Are there any mini velos still in production? Probably not? Thinking about those sweet sweet 20" wheels rn

There's supposed to be a shipment of the Velo Orange Neutrino coming in the next few months.

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001

Objurium posted:

It's getting to be about time to slap some new brake pads on my bike, and I don't seem to be able to track down OEM replacements. I've got Promax 330R disc brakes on my Salsa, and the manufacturer's SKU for replacements isn't in stock anywhere that I can see after some google digging.

Jagwire makes compatible pads and they're a legit brand that should be in-stock. The part numbers are the same for their Avid BB5 pads so you should be able to use Avid BB5 compatible pads, in general.

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001

sweat poteto posted:

Unfortunately fabric doesn't do a short version of that saddle yet, so I'm looking at mtb saddles now.

The gel saddle is shorter but it’s also wider and they don’t make it with ti rails. I like it on more upright bikes

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

I take pictures as I unwrap the old tape and it has a 100% failure rate for helping me redo them.

As someone who always screws up my tape at least a little bit, I appreciated this!

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The idea that you wouldn’t buy a device because you don’t like the port it uses to charge is flabbergasting. It’s a triviality.

Who in this thread said that?

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001

spf3million posted:

Lube chat: does anyone have a favorite grease gun?

An irrigation syringe with a curved tip

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001

Dutymode posted:

Should I pick this up for $50? I recently moved and now have tons of easy access to MTB trails but only have a road bike. I'm thinking a rigid is better than a crappy old spring fork?

Agree with tylerfb. Buy it

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001

Hadlock posted:

What in simple green causes hydrogen embrittlement, though? During the degreasing process does it release hydrogen gas, or something? I've never ever heard of hydrogen embrittlement being an issue except in aerospace where they have thin walled tanks of high pressure hydrogen. Do you have a link or something?

Comparing the MSDS: Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner / Extreme Simple Green Aircraft & Precision Cleaner, perhaps the sodium compounds? I am not a chemist or metallurgist.

skul-gun fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 22, 2022

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001

Heliosicle posted:

Are there any saddles that have a middle ground of padding where they are fairly comfortable without bibs, but not too squishy with them? I ride my commuter bike with and without bibs. The current saddle I have (Bontrager Montrose) is fine with bibs, but really uncomfortable without.

I'll 2nd the fabric scoop radius

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001

EvilJoven posted:

Idk if I'd take that risk to avoid buying a new ring after seeing two staff members have to change rings on their own bikes that came witby supposedly 12s compatible narrow wide rings because of chain suck and have a bike on the floor with a 100$ discount because of mangled paint at the BB shell because of the same.

I mean maybe it's fine with SRAM all those bikes were 12s Shimano iirc but still.

Wolf Tooth has different tooth profiles, one specifically for for Shimano 12sp and that may be related to what your staff experienced. So, it's complicated and annoying.

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
Has anyone tried one of the Kasai FS dynohubs? I'm thinking about building a wheel

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yo link to that front rack, that might be good for mine, I don't like the basket ones.

The Soma Lucas 3 Mini Front Rack is a similar design that is currently made. And not horribly expensive, for a bike rack.

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

Are there any short-cage clutched derailleurs that I should have on my radar for this 20" build? I looked at Saint, Zee, GX DH, X01 DH, Acolyte, and Advent. So far Acolyte super-short is on the top of my list, but the clutch system looks a little crude maybe, and I'm not sure I want a part marketed for children's bikes, but that's not an actual real reason not to get it if its quality. 11-38T 8 speed would be pretty nice for this build.

A fun thing about the microshift advent/acolyte stuff is that they have compatible pull ratios: Microshift groupsets are interchangeable (not my video)

That said, the zee fr derailleur is on sale right now for not that much more than acolyte: ZEE RD-M640 Shadow Plus Rear Derailleur. The cassette will cost more, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Downtube shifters are passe, I'm gonna invent seat tube shifters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuYBJyWKNYY

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNV71kFc1mA

skul-gun fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 4, 2023