Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
bikes own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
my ongoing shifter saga (r8000 ultegra). shifter has been somewhat difficult to go from small ring to big but i tried to adjust the front dereilleur and thought that solved it but it got stiff again, i tried cranking really hard on the shifter to force it and then it made a big clunk/crunch sound and now it absolutely does not work at all. i thought perhaps it was due to the cable but i replaced that and it's still not working.

...after examining the shifter i noticed that this guy is broken? Shimano L.H. Main Support Lever - Y63X80010

but i'm not sure that's the cause of why the shifter feels bad and doesnt work.

here's a video of me trying to actuate the shift mechanism and comparing it to the RH side which works perfectly. (the broken part shown above is not installed in this video)

https://i.imgur.com/9efJGco.mp4

i have dropped or fallen a couple times but i dont really know if that's the cause of it.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 2, 2020

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ooof I took my bike to the shop to have them diagnose the shifter and it's hosed, they want 100 bucks more just for the part than Amazon charges :argh: I don't really want to do the labor in this but ugh at that markup

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Suicide Watch posted:

Is it a shimano shifter? you can sometimes revive them by drown the shifter in WD40 before relubing

no they said it's actually hosed

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I might have one, I think I got one with my hunt wheels earlier this year

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
gently caress it's been a whole week since I rode and presumably a whole week and a half till the shop is done fixing my poo poo ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjjh

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
a whole week of my bike being at the shop and another one to go :argh:

forcing myself to run 3-4 times a week instead :chanpop:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ride bikes, ate tacos birras, rode some more, drank beers, got sunburnt, great day

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you probably need a rear derailleur adjustment

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Delta-Wye posted:

Thanks for the link, I'll compare how my setup looks to those images tonight. I'm torn between wanting the shop to unfuck it ('cause $$) and using this as an opportunity to get to know adjustments/maintenance on my new wheels. Assuming that derailleur adjustments can dial it out, those instructions are all super easy to follow at least.

its gonna take weeks to get any shop to fix anything so you might as well give it a try

park tool has great videos on youtube to show you how to adjust or fix just about anything

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
gonna do a sweet gravel ride tomorrow, courtesy of guiness, who posted about a couple of months ago

i'm very glad i was able to replace my shifter and bleed the brakes for the first time successfully

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Guinness posted:

get it get it, and post pics

:discourse:

great ride, not too tough but i was definitely disappointed that the campsite at the midpoint being closed because i wanted some water

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you should definitely have a set of hex/allen tools, one for taking with you while you ride and a set at home

i really like my bondhus gold hex tools for use at home

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
still like my jamis renegade, almost had it two years!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

nm posted:

Interesting, but gonna need a decade or so before I trust them.

they use this kind of stuff on race cars to help when you need to swap components without bleeding or draining fluid systems

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

e.pilot posted:

I’ve managed 100mi a week or more every week of 2020, this smoke might break that streak :(

Really tempted to go out and pedal around with a p100 mask on just to get out

tried that, its fuckin miserable

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Killswitch posted:

Don’t forget to masturbate beforehand so that you’re relaxed for all the yelling at the tire/rim you’re destined for.

lmao

i managed to get my tubeless tires mounted by removing the presta valve core and adding sealant, shaking it around and then using my ryobi 18v air pump, which doesnt put out a ton of pressure but was enough to get the job done

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My wife won't ride on public roads because we were taking a trail bypass once and someone in a jeep zoomed up behind us and started laying on the horn.

If she'd have been startled and fallen she'd have gotten run over.

People are pretty lovely about this bicycling thing!

should be legal to "stand your ground" against these shitheads

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
so if i want some cold weather bibs what's a good reasonably priced brand? although i have some nice underarmour running leggings i could wear over a normal bib short i'm guessing its more comfortable to have full length bib.

i have really really long legs though, normally i wear a 33x36 pant

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
finally hit 1k miles for the year in Strava which is 3x what I did last year

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
that giant cancerous nutsack bag is a large size Topeak Wedge Dry Bag with "Fixer" attachment instead of the strap attachment. i have a spare inner tube even though i'm tubeless, some tire levers, a wolf tooth components chain pliers, a pump and a buff that i can use as a mask if needed

mostly stock but i swapped to a gold chain, 650b carbon wheels and wtb byways in the spring

no regrets about the bike at all, ultegra stuff owns, hydraulic disc brakes own, steel is real

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 23, 2020

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
new shoooz thursday

gonna try them out tomorrow

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

near victorville? thats a 737 max and i think boeing has a bunch in storage and probably doing flight test stuff there too

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

e.pilot posted:

Nah that’s an -800, headed in to ONT

hmm fooled by the split winglets, i guess it must have been one of the retrofitted ones

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
any recs for a long sleeve merino jersey?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

This one is pretty heavy weight, but I liked it (I have no idea where it is and I wish it would turn up):
https://www.twinsix.com/collections/mens-tops/products/copy-of-the-standard-v2-ls-wool-black?variant=32788317569121

now this is lookin great, i've seen a bunch of different options out there but most are nowhere near 100% wool (which seems ridiculous if they're asking $160) like this one is. made in usa too!

hows the fitment? does it run pretty tight?

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 7, 2020

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Quick question

I had a Giant Neostrack computer that I lost last month

All it did that I care about is use GPS to track my speed + averages and save them to a website where I could look back and check my progress.

Can anyone suggest something similar? I don't care about sensors or whatever, I just want a computer that uploads my poo poo to a free website where I can look at my time + distance.

you could always get a fitbit or similar product, which has the benefit of working for running or other activities as well.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
absolutely ate poo poo like a fool going down the stairs in my stupid "race" shimano rx-800 shoes gently caress my lower back hurts

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

butros posted:

Actually in all seriousness, how do you guys track heart rates with an iPhone? I just found out that Strava doesn't support HR tracking which really sucks.

strava does HR tracking, but you need something to measure it obviously. when i'm on my bike i have a tickr and elemnt bolt and when i'm running my polar watch tracks HR (or i can link my tickr to it but usually dont).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
insanely jealous gently caress

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Anza Borrego posted:

Someone posted this in the funny pictures thread and I thought of you guys.

Danny is the real fuckin deal

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
any way someone could set up a hunting camera or GoPro to record the bridge and try to narrow it down?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:whatup: G O L D :whatup:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
wow the screen died on my elemnt boot after six weeks and zero rain

piece of shiiiiit

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

gohuskies posted:

I've been back biking a lot for about 9-10 months now so still figuring things out. I ride an old early 90s rigid mountain bike, mostly on gravel and dirt roads. In the last week I have gotten three really slow flats from punctured tubes. It's not an abrupt flat at all, there are hours of riding between them and losing pressure pretty slowly, but three tubes in a week seems like something is up. I have felt around the inside of the tire several times for anything sharp and I can't feel anything, but it's weird that it keeps happening. Should I try taking it to a shop, or don't bother with spending money on them if they'll tell me to buy a new tire anyways so just do that now and skip a step?

how old is the tube? are you patching the tube each time it goes flat or pumping it up and keep going? replacing it with new?

how old is the tire? might be time to get a new pair. are you on 26" or 27.5?

Chinatown posted:

Had a dude in a busted Camry go completely apeshit that I blew a stopsign that he was coming up to tonight. Chased me to the next intersection where he almost clipped my rear tire and I had to dip into an alley to disengage.

Urban cycling loving rules. I love it.

wa state legalized blowing thru stopsigns on bike which owns, did they do this in california?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
got a replacement elemnt bolt from wahoo and they (accidentally?) upgraded from the basic unit to one with the speed, cadence and tickr sensors. hope this one doesnt fail in two months like the first one did!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
are those hunt wheels carbon rim?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
so i'm kinda slogging through some winter riding with improper gear and not sure what i should get...i dont really ride in heavy rain but sometimes if it's lightly raining, and i dont usually ride in weather lower than 35 degrees...should i get waterproof windbreaker or a softshell? i'd prefer to have something that i didnt have to wash (and reapply water repellant) all the time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bicievino posted:

For Seattle riding I am 100% all in on gore shakedry. It's expensive, but it just works so much better than everything else, and it packs small enough I can stash it in a pocket "just in case" what with the variable weather.

theyre on sale right now on bike tires direct, do you have the c5 or c7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah i can live with that, i rarely take a backpack and if i do it's for short rides which i could use a softshell that i already have