Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
I'm going on a bike ride right now and I can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

nwin posted:

drat quick release skewers. 5 miles into the ride and this creak starts and I could have sworn it was the BB30 bracket finally needing maintenance.

Got home and it was the skewers needing greased again. I don’t think I ever greased the skewers on my synapse but I’ve done it three times on the CAAD12. It’s more humid where I moved but I’m not riding in the rain-I can’t think of any other reason why I have to grease them more frequently.

Same problem here but I have a question: what part of the skewers did you grease?

I just replaced the BB with a WheelsMFG thread-together and found out it was my skewers the whole time but now it's starting up again when I'm out of the saddle or putting power down when climbing.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

former glory posted:

Have you guys ever tried replacing the hub or bearings on a rear wheel before? I've got a set of (now defunct) Williams wheels and I had the rear one off the other day and noticed it feels very rough when spinning between my hands. The front is smooth as butter. I'm not really sure where to start to tackle this job: are rear hubs custom to specific wheels, or generic? Can I just buy sealed bearings like I would for a skateboard or ? I'm thinking if it can be done in a way that doesn't require messing with spokes or requiring some advanced jig, I'll give it a shot.

If you can't see any markings telling you what the hub is, posting a picture of it might help in identifying it and figuring out if it uses sealed or loose bearings.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

FogHelmut posted:

gently caress it, I'll just take steroids.
The spirit of professional cycling lives within you

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

FogHelmut posted:

I know my front derailleur is 2 speed, but I gotta click that shifter twice to move it down once.

Your FD adjustment/cable tension is off dude, mine used to do that too.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

EvilJoven posted:

Any chance you're just not aware of the trim positions on most road shifters? There are 4 possible position selections with a modern road double shifter, used to get rid of chain rub on the FD cage when cross chaining.

In my case yes I am, I just suck at setting up my FDs. I currently have two extreme small ring selections and a single big ring selection (trim does nothing in big ring).

I'll get it right one of these days but it works the way I need it to.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Coredump posted:

Your picture reminds me. Garmin being down almost a full week now is really putting a hamper on my life. If I can't record my rides and make numbers go up why bother?!

As practice for when the numbers and kudos are back!

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

bicievino posted:

Augh. Why is it so hard to just follow the rules of the road.

Because half the people don't know the rules and the other half don't care.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

iospace posted:

That being said, how good are the Fly Pedals conversion platforms? I'm debating that and PD-T8000s for when I go back to winter mode.

I have the Fly Pedals V2 and they've done their job the couple of times I've used them. My experience with them is very limited but I'm happy to have them. Downsides are that they weight one side and need to be flipped every time you take your foot off and they add a little height to the pedals, throwing off your fit a bit.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Assless Chaps posted:

I am just recently getting into cycling, just got my first decent quality bike, and have zero jerseys so far, but I am ready to buy the poo poo out of this.

That's the spirit!

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

The logos on back look has me wanting one as well, but I've got to admit that "standard sizing" does not help me much. I own everything from a S to a L across different brands (and eras). My best fitting jersey is a modern Morvelo M, though it could honestly be a touch tighter in the body, but not the arms. I have an sick 80's reebok jersey that fits perfectly, but the tags are too faded to tell what size it ever was.

E: 5'9", 155 lbs

Are you able to find any size charts for a couple of your newer jerseys?

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Went for a relaxed ride today.

There's a little gravel path around a reservoir that I keep passing and I figured today was a good day to check it out.

Around this time a song crept into my head and got stuck. I kept hearing it throughout the rest of the ride but its a good song so I didn't mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-UMaV9C4Ig

The path ended up coming to a T and one way headed into the woods.

The other way headed uphill along the edge of a little field and more woods.

I'll have to look into what's back there and where it all goes and return to dive deeper into it someday soon.

Bike rides are wonderful.

BeastPussy fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 8, 2020

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
That sucks you didn't make it but it's still a hell of a journey. You'll nail it next time!

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

e.pilot posted:

lol look at this guy that’s never seen the Canyon Speedmax

have you? :barf:

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I’d be in for a bib/shorts. The xxxl doesn’t even fit my hips :lol:

I had this same thought and then realized that for the price, I can afford to gently caress it up and just went with an XL for shits and giggles.

Big butt big thighs big problems oh well

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

numberoneposter posted:

who's riding bikes this weekend?

I plan on riding both days this weekend, just like every other weekend from late spring through the fall.

Bike every day off and at least twice during the week.

Ride bikes.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Agreed, show & tell us about it

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Nice pics and that sounds like a good ride.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
It's been gloomy and chilly all day.

It was drizzly with stiff headwinds for half of my ride.

I've been feeling tired and crappy all week.

I was sitting there eating a snack and minding my own business when a yellowjacket buzzed up out of nowhere and stung me on the back of the neck.

No hot coffee, hot chocolate, or hot dogs because the little snack hut I saw was closed (thanks for nothing Santa).

But I still got to ride my bike today so I'm happy.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

ElMaligno posted:

I am liking the Road Bike, but i'm looking to eventually upgrade to a All-Road or Gravel Bike.
Still i am a newbie and all poo poo. If i stay road biking should i get biking shoes and poo poo?

You don't need them but they're nice to have if you really get into it. Full kit is very comfortable once you get used to it.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Crumps Brother posted:

Double posting because I'm busy loudly outing myself as an Iowan. Exactly one day before the derecho came and destroyed the middle of my state I peaced out to get married by the ocean. As a precursor to that I rented a bike and drove around New Hampshire so I could do two of the local climbs. Mt Washington was the dream, but they only allow bikes up that road one day each year and this year it was cancelled. Instead I rode Hurricane Mt Road and Kearsarge Mt Road.

Maybe I should have been more specific when I did my rental because having 34x28 as my lowest gear was far from optimal for the multiple sections of 20% or more grades on these climbs. Yikes. I probably would have died somewhere in the middle of Mt Washington if I attempted that climb on this bike. I also managed to not completely glaze my brake pads when descending either so I was happy about that too.

It was just a little shy of 30 miles (17 top, 12 bottom) and a little short of 5000' overall for both rides. I can't get those numbers at home.

I don't get sights like these at home either.

Not much to say other than I really like when I get the chance to ride something I can't do at home and also that MY WIFE is totally cool with me disappearing for 75% of the day so I can do cool bike stuff.
That's awesome and the riding up north is beautiful this time of year.

I had signed up for Mt. Washington this year but since it's cancelled maybe I'll see you on the mountain next year!

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

numberoneposter posted:

i havnt had a flat in 9,122.5 km on my road bike :smug:

does finding your tire flat in the morning count as a flat or is it just bike maintenance since i wasn't riding yet?

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Andy Dufresne posted:

I rode 41 today with 1450 ft of elevation at 12:45pm in TX, so it was hot as balls. This was my first "group ride", as I invited all the guys I know who own bikes. They mostly bailed at the halfway point and only me and one other guy completed the route. We stopped at a church at mile 35 to drench our outfits and refill our water bottles from the hose. Prioritizing run vs bike is going to be a problem I think. My calf hurts though so biking it is.

edit: I've ridden this far a few times, but today is the day that hurt my rear end and hands a whole lot.

Unless you've been holed up in quarantine with those guys, group rides aren't such a hot idea at the moment. Glad you're enjoying your bike and getting out there but maybe solo rides are best for now.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

actionjackson posted:

I ended up getting the bontrager circuit shoe in 46, it had just a slightly wider toebox which was all I needed.

not sure why they are slightly different, but my incredible complex analysis shows that it is definitely a bit wider, especially on the right side

Nice, hopefully it solves your comfort problems.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

numberoneposter posted:

Just ran over a cool nail on the way Tuesday night group ride thus ending my longest no flat streak. :mrwhite:

At least you got a cool nail out of it.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

ElMaligno posted:

10 miles rides are a lot harder than i thought...
But at least i got my shoes now, but no pedals yet...

Keep at it and eventually 10 miles will be your warmup distance. Good job.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Just did 335 miles in 36 hours, most on gravel and in the pouring rain. A lot of things hurt.

Ouch but good job dude.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Does anybody know of any decent century+ routes in the central MA/southeast VT/southwest NH area? My brother and I were thinking of doing a long ride together this year (his first) and that area is right in the middle of us so it'd be a good compromise vs a 6 hour round trip for one of us.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Even if you didn't have the calories for it I still say that's a good ride.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
spray some starting fluid in and hit it with a lighter when you give it a compressor blast

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
sounds like a good basement for doing bike stuff

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Gonna go lay down and die now

good job dude

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
I think I've used the drops twice this year, maybe three times.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Maybe he meant they wouldn't be jerks and leave him behind in the dust on his own.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
That's way too fast.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

spf3million posted:

I gave a kudos

I also gave a kudos and finally figured out who that person on my Strava feed was so it's double-good.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

numberoneposter posted:

Does the duck have a name?

Howard.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

e.pilot posted:

Last work bike trip for a bit, headed home tomorrow.

Which also means trash kits gonna start shipping tomorrow. :gary:

These look like some nice roads and I wish I was out there to ride them.

Also, can't wait to get me some trash kit :mump:

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
murdery basement bike areas :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
That's some creepy poo poo. Hope you kept them dropped and skedaddled.