Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

bicievino posted:

I just tried one of those "epic" protein bars for the first time (spicy sriracha chicken) and it was pretty dang good

Pretty much all their flavors are awesome. The bison bacon cranberry one is particularly excellent.

I swear by Sour Patch Kids when I don't feel like drinking my sugar.

Also I'm sure Coxswain (or anybody else who's ridden extensively in Japan) will support my claim that onigiri is basically the perfect bike food, especially with miso or red bean paste as filling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Tag yourself, I'm the 145 inches of brake cable housing.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I wish there was a way to opt out of Local Legends other than switching privacy settings and becoming ineligible for like half the challenges on Strava. I know most of them are basically just ads, but pretend internet badges are way cooler than pretend internet laurels imo.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

My wife wants one if she can get a women's cut one.

Same for Mrs. Auxiliary.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

So this is a long shot, but after scouring the internet, striking out with Strava's support team, and even swallowing my pride and slinking shamefully into r/strava with no results, I still can't figure out why images in ride/user galleries refuse to load on my phone. The only thing I've found on the entirety of the internet is this post in the community gallery, but it describes my issue exactly.

I've tried clearing cache/data, turning off system wide and app-specific battery optimization, installing older apks, etc, but it's been months and I'm still scratching my head. The issue occurs on every Android phone I've tried (Motorola e5, LG Fortune, Samsung Galaxy A11). Everything loads fine on the two iPhone devices I logged into, so while it's definitely an Android-specific bug, the problem is the same on 8.0, 9.0, and even 10.0.

My main reason for using Strava is live segments, effort comparisons, and training/fitness stuff, so it doesn't exactly ruin the whole experience for me, but I'll be damned if looking at gray boxes all the time isn't driving me pretty crazy anyway.

Has anyone else had this issue? Can anyone with a functional understanding of programming explain what might be causing it?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Also Specialized has a fairly well-deserved reputation as an industry bully and the blue fade on that Aeroad absolutely fucks. Canyon all the way.

I am, however, a Crux-riding hypocrite, so my opinion could very well be based on subconscious guilt.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 12, 2020

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I've heard people say a combo of bleach/baking soda/vinegar will sort things out, but those things have so many nooks and crannies (particularly in the hose) that I'd personally feel a lot safer just grabbing a new one.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

bicievino posted:

I'm male, hips are 42 inches around, waist is 34. Not saying a women's cut won't be better for you, but these will be super stretchy.
Most of the time women's cut means only two things: shorter jersey length, and shorter leg length. Sometimes it means a different pad shape, but not always - dunno if that'd be the case with these AliExpress vendors.

We need one of those Howard Schatz-style athlete lineups except instead of various naked Olympians it's just a bunch of goon cyclists wearing BearPope.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

2/10

+1 point for color and +1 point for Speedplays.

Now let's all post handmade bikes that aren't a retrogrouch travesty.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 1, 2020

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

so if i want some cold weather bibs what's a good reasonably priced brand? although i have some nice underarmour running leggings i could wear over a normal bib short i'm guessing its more comfortable to have full length bib.

i have really really long legs though, normally i wear a 33x36 pant

Get these in XL, they're rad. I'm 6'4ish and there's leg to spare.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Anza Borrego posted:

Have you worn em yet?
Do you like it?
Seems to be a love or hate difference online

Put me squarely in the "hate" camp. Chamois is way too thick and long/wide. If your perineum is three miles long and the width of an Eastern seaboard state they're probably great, but for me it was way too much material to fit comfortably between my legs.

It's a shame too, because the quality is pretty great for the price point. FWIW I tried the Plus Tall bibs, not sure if the chamois is different on the others.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Anza Borrego posted:

Wow, wide SPD MTB shoes are very expensive.

I grabbed these from my local REI for like $120 about a month ago. They're not listed as an E-width size, but they accommodate my preposterous duck feet even better than my previous pair of wide Shimanos. A worthwhile trade for the orthopedic/Shoes for Crews aesthetic IMO.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Please tell me more about what I sincerely hope is a breakaway titanium tandem bike with a Campy groupset please.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

bicievino posted:

Ride up to them when you get close, say "hey, mind if I pace off you?" then respect their response.

A dude did this to me on a climb a couple weeks ago and it was sincerely the most faith I've felt in humanity since the world caught on fire in March.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Shimano has some clearance stuff on Amazon right now. Might have some left. Mostly winter stuff. Search “Shimano” plus jersey, bibs, vest, or jacket. Some good deals on whatever is left. $20 jerseys, $25 bibs, etc.

Thanks for this! Grabbed an obscenely discounted $20 thermal jersey to round out my winter wardrobe.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

buy a trainer and zwift the winter away

Also get a fat bike and crush the GAP/C&O all winter.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Danny is the real fuckin deal

He is a goddamn treasure. I take care of twin 3-year-olds for a living and he has been the center of their universe for at least half of their existence.

Consequently they now spend most of their time on pedal bikes doing sick skids, drops, and logovers.

We still do balance bikes for the really gnarly singletrack, though:

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

jamal posted:

Something like those big lobster gloves would be nice but am unsure on how that's going to work on the mtb where I want my middle finger around the bars.

I have a pair of these hybrid lobsters that I really like for when things get below freezing. Haven't used them on the MTB, but they're a godsend for Shimano road shifters.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

Easy flat one today, 325km done with 3 days to go

Nice

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Best post in this thread

Don't have to give a poo poo about dropping them if i"ve got twelve

also I ended up cutting two inner links off the chain anyway ,turns out "universal" ain't

My life has improved immeasurably since purchasing a little magnetic dish to hold all my bike crumbs while I work.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

bicievino posted:

rice cakes

Onigiri is also certifiably the poo poo as long as you eat it early or make one that keeps well (I'm partial to red bean paste).

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

loving lol @ the "pretend mud" paint job.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Get a hitch put on your hatchback and get a hitch carrier.

Great idea in theory, but probably not the most budget-friendly option for someone recently unemployed.

I always flipped down the back seats, stuck the wheels in the passenger seat, and loaded the frame in last (drive-side up, of course). Now I have a truck with a tailgate pad and I'll never look back.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Cicadas have been everywhere the last couple weeks. Took three of them to the face on one ride last week:

I can't stay mad at them, though. They're just so endearingly stupid.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

It’s not exactly some contentious viewpoint that Strava has a history of rolling out half baked features.

This. I just moved to a new area and was loving the auto-generated routes feature for road rides until it started randomly taking me on MTB singletrack and crowded MUPs. If they'd fix their filtering options this would be the best thing they've done in ages.

I'll keep paying for premium because I love segments and enjoy the training pages, I just wish they'd finish existing features before rolling out new ones.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, I discovered that after my first run-in with random singletrack, but even with "Paved" being the only selection I still get the odd bit of dirt/gravel. I think it's usually "unspecified" sections that mess everything up.

Mostly I wish I could filter out the MUPs. I did a route the other week that was like 30 miles of awesome hills/rollers before suddenly turning into a 10 mile tour of Maryland's busiest MUPs.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Try a narrow-wide chainring before throwing down derailleur money, IMO.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Captain Log posted:

- Shoes - This is the big question. I'm a size thirteen with a AAA heel. My feet have atrophied a little and are very skinny. But most biking shoes only go up to size twelve. The cleats are coming off the right shoe no matter how much I tighten them. With my foot size and daily indoor use, what's a good shoe? Again, I'm willing to pay for something that will hold up, but it doesn't need to be particularly rugged.

I'd like to thank everyone in advance for any advice. I've learned to trust goons more than salespeople, so any input is well valued.

I've always found Giro and Fizik shoes to run frustratingly narrow for my stupid frog feet; maybe they'll work for you. Northwave is the only brand I know for sure does narrow sizing.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Coxswain Balls posted:

That looks brutal. I think that's the point where cobbles become a traction device. Whenever I saw these circular cutouts start showing up on the road I knew the next little bit was gonna suck. I called them gently caress You Dots.

This isn't Tochigi prefecture, is it? They've got some great climbing. Irohazaka is definitely on my bucket list:

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

^^^ Do you have a bike co-op in your area? They're an absolute godsend for poo poo like that.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Is there any more news on when we the wahoo power meter pedals? Last mention I can find is the press releases from march.

Alternative is I can drill my crank spindle for the team zwatt DIY one I have in my drawer but I'd need to convince the machine shop at work to do it for me.

I was holding off on replacing my Speedplays until the power pedals dropped, but got impatient and grabbed the regular ones to hold me over. They're a massive improvement over the old ones by every metric, except for some reason they replaced the Allen screws in the float adjustment system with the world's tiniest Phillips head screws, so definitely make sure your float is dialed in before you leave the house.

Also the cleat covers have aero dimples lol.

Still looking forward to the PwrLnk or whatever they're calling it, though.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

SimonSays posted:

That means there's no grease whatsoever in them because kids bikes are trash that nobody wants to pay a dime more for.

I've found the build quality on Striders to be pretty exceptional. Got a pair for my twins almost three years ago and they're both still trucking.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Serendipitaet posted:

Anyone have good strategies for eating on the bike during group rides? When I’m solo, I tend to just stop and have an energy bar or a sandwich, but some of the groups I go with don’t stop frequently enough for me to eat. My technique isn’t good enough to stick to the wheel in front while fumbling around with wrappers. I have one bottle of carb / electrolyte drink which also helps but on tougher rides I just need more/constant fuel.

So far my ideas revolve around gels or just taking a bag of gummy worms and grazing on that. Getting gud at keeping pace whilst doing other things is ofc also a goal.

Sour Patch Kids and Fig Newtons. Always and forever.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

Unfortunately Strava uses HRmax based zones and they are completely useless. Wondering why every century ride is a “Historic Effort?” Well don’t, because they aren’t. It’s because Strava thinks your Z1 is 100bpm instead of 135bpm, and that you can spend 2 continuous hours at Z5 HR.

This is another one of Strava's myriad features that can be customized, but only on the desktop site and only if you know where to look.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

Anyone in here used bibs from The black bibs? Their jerseys also look ok for what its worth.

I found the chamois to be way too bulky for my liking, in terms of both density and overall size. That being said, the quality on the Pro bibs is pretty great for the price point.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

osker posted:

Have any of you messed around with Chinese OEM carbon framesets like TAN TAN or Seraph?

http://tantancycling.com/index.php?_m=mod_product&_a=prdlist&cap_id=230
I'm
I want to build a crotch rocket apart from my utilitarian commuter.

I bought a Dengfu a couple years back and it's still treating me great after 7,000+ miles. Swapped to an outboard 24/22 mm adaptor after the BB30 started creaking, but otherwise I haven't had a single issue.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 14, 2021

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

Cross is here and I am not ready.

Saaaaaaame. You doing any of the big USCX events?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Any recommendations for bibs with a seamless/glued chamois? I feel like I remember Assos making one a while back but I can't seem to find it.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

bicievino posted:

Or just pay for the product you want to use

I pay for premium and I still end up using RideWithGPS most of the time.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Maybe PM EvilJoven? He's definitely racked up some snowy fat bike miles over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

Nature’s Bakery fig bar

PSA: these things loving own and they don't care how hot or cold your ride is, they will always be delicious. Original flavor is dope but Strawberry is also really, really tasty. My partner and I have been using them as bike fuel for almost a year now and I'm still not sick of them.