Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Unless you had a green arrow giving you a protected right turn, you were likely in the wrong. That said,

quote:

Heres the rules: Infrastructure in the US is designed to make it impossible for cars and bikes to coexist

So its hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Salt Fish posted:

Heres the rules: Infrastructure in the US is designed to make it impossible for cars and bikes to coexist. There are no rules because from the bikes perspective they've got a green light and probably they know the crosswalk button is broken anyway. From the cars perspective they've got a green light and they're in a car so you better watch out! Very important people drive cars.

So its hosed. Who cares through. You better watch out more carefully next time because it doesn't matter whos right if you smear someone across the pavement its going to ruin your day. The bike better watch out more carefully next time too because being right doesn't matter when 4,000 lbs of steel hits you at 30mph.

Overall its fine and you swear at each other and flip each other off and you go about your day. People get too bent out of shape about it. We need to be able to honk and flip the bird and not get stressed. The safest intersections in the world are totally uncontrolled. No signals. Start thinking that way about every intersection imo.

Exactly. Red line guy probably saw you, and knew what you were going to do but wanted to prove a point and be a dick about it.

We have had a couple of recent fatalities around here with bike paths of this exact design. (South OC CA)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
In the same situation, as a rider, I would try to get in the red line, taking that lane until I was halfway through the intersection, clear of the right turn, and then shift back to the cycling lane. I don’t blame that cyclist for doing it the way he did, though.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I don't know about legal right of way but I don't think it's reasonable to expect cars to be aware of things approaching from behind at bike speeds in that situation and as a cyclist I would be extremely careful approaching that intersection since its design basically guarantees misunderstanding and people getting hurt. Not going to make a judgement about wrong or right but if someone I knew biked like that person did I would tell them it was foolish.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

It's the old right hook. Very common accident and as a cyclist one I try to be aware of when going through intersections.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
It seems pretty straightforward to me: the path empties into the crosswalk (and is separated from the road on both sides), so cyclists are supposed to observe the pedestrian signals there.

A classic right hook is different, because it happens when a car wrongly crosses an on-street bike lane.

Edit: you could probably get a definitive answer pretty easily by sending an email to someone in your city's transportation department.

marshalljim fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 21, 2020

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I'm sure this varies by location but I think some (many?) places, if you are using the crosswalk as a cyclist, you are expected to dismount and walk across (though of course nobody does this).

e: If you're a road designer aren't there extensive resources for best practices for this stuff? like https://nacto.org/publications/design-guides/

Thufir fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 21, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Thufir posted:

I don't know about legal right of way but I don't think it's reasonable to expect cars to be aware of things approaching from behind at bike speeds in that situation and as a cyclist I would be extremely careful approaching that intersection since its design basically guarantees misunderstanding and people getting hurt. Not going to make a judgement about wrong or right but if someone I knew biked like that person did I would tell them it was foolish.

:hmmyes: being right doesn’t keep you from getting killed

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
At a lot of crosswalks the pedestrian walk symbol doesn't light up unless the button is pushed.

That button often doesn't work either because it's broken or it's DELIBERATELY DISABLED by whatever traffic authority is responsible for that intersection.

It's also called a beg button.

gently caress north american traffic control systems and their proiritzation of vehicular traffic above all else, even in the middle of winter when people standing in a wind swept intersection at -30 have to wait for loving ever while assholes in heated vehicles get priority because 'traffic flow' is prioritized. I hope a computer virus crashes them all one day and sends the entire continent into gridlock.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

At a lot of crosswalks the pedestrian walk symbol doesn't light up unless the button is pushed.

That button often doesn't work either because it's broken or it's DELIBERATELY DISABLED by whatever traffic authority is responsible for that intersection.

It's also called a beg button.

gently caress north american traffic control systems and their proiritzation of vehicular traffic above all else, even in the middle of winter when people standing in a wind swept intersection at -30 have to wait for loving ever while assholes in heated vehicles get priority because 'traffic flow' is prioritized. I hope a computer virus crashes them all one day and sends the entire continent into gridlock.

This is all true and not at all applicable in the situation where someone rides through without stopping and assumes right of way when they don’t have it.

If you stop or at least check that your path is clear before proceeding? Sure. But none of what you said is relevant to the question of whether a cyclist has right of way, or is even being reasonable, in that situation.

I get the frustration, and abhor poo poo like that where cyclists are not accounted for. One of the worst is sensor based lights that don’t trigger for bikes. Or just that in general. I will admit to turning left on a red arrow driving the other day after sitting through several light cycles with no green, and I can’t even count the number of times I’ve done that on a bike.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Thufir posted:

I'm sure this varies by location but I think some (many?) places, if you are using the crosswalk as a cyclist, you are expected to dismount and walk across (though of course nobody does this).

e: If you're a road designer aren't there extensive resources for best practices for this stuff? like https://nacto.org/publications/design-guides/

I think I've seen some of those resources, but where I am (South Carolina), they really haven't given a poo poo about cyclists historically. It's starting to change a bit, though mostly in the sense of designing 10' multi-use pathways alongside busy roads. The one exception being Greenville, SC, where I was last weekend. They have a (relatively) great set up downtown in terms of infrastructure, including a twenty-something mile long bike trail complete with restaurants and bike shops set up on the trail, and drivers who actually know how to drive around bikes. Maybe someday that will happen in Charleston.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Steve French posted:

One of the worst is sensor based lights that don’t trigger for bikes.

My city redeveloped the only bike-safe junction over a highway last year, changed the lanes and signals and painted a green bike lane and box on it.... and forgot to actually install or activate the bike sensor. So you can follow the lane, wait where the big bike sign shows on the road in the center lane, and wait forever. Assholes. I got to talk to the traffic official at the city where he fessed up and said they'd get to fixing it some time in the *waves hands*

Now I take a different route on a busier road just so I can actually cross with traffic.

/vent

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Steve French posted:

This is all true and not at all applicable in the situation where someone rides through without stopping and assumes right of way when they don’t have it.

The design requires rational people making logical decisions. That's why it's a bad design.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

The design requires rational people making logical decisions. That's why it's a bad design.

I’m not disputing that it’s a bad design. It’s a bad design. My point was just that riding through a “don’t walk” sign in that scenario without stopping / checking / yielding is a bad idea regardless of whether one must press the walk button to trigger it

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

:shittypop: TIL platoon came from peloton.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmXnaX-5d8g&t=543s

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Just saw the trailer for the Hustle City trainer game and A) A GTA-like you play on your bike seems like a cool concept. B) I'm curious about the front wheel pad for steering on your trainer. C) Holy moley does the game/graphics themselves look pretty bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfh6PYZWvXc

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 21, 2020

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Just say the trailer for the Hustle City trainer game and A) A GTA-like you play on your bike seems like a cool concept. B) I'm curious about the front wheel pad for steering on your trainer. C) Holy moley does the game/graphics themselves look pretty bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfh6PYZWvXc

You can just play actual gta 5 on your trainer instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl17P_mpHI0

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
It's kinda buggy and single player only. Tried it for a bit then went back to zwift. It's a neat idea though and I hope the dev keeps improving it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Seems legit

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Took a friend on her first metric century today!

She's a little smaller than I am

Most of the ride was devoted to taking photos of funny place names, such as

and

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Just sold one of these ... sadly it was too short for me.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

Just sold one of these ... sadly it was too short for me.

You know this thread is hiring for weird content, right?

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

After replacing a chainring on my cheap-as-dirt Triban 500 I couldn't get it to shift properly no matter what I did to try and adjust the front derailleur. Me being a butterfingered moron seemed the most plausible explanation for that, so I took it to a mechanic. As it turns out, he too was ready to toss my bike in the river by the time he was done with it. His verdict: the worst parts he's ever seen on a bike, for the love of god sell it and buy something proper, there are good Triban bikes but this ain't it. It shifts OK now, but not great (and if I'm honest it never really did but it was my first road bike so I had nothing to compare it with).

I'm not really willing to sink a lot of money into a cheap frame, so upgrading is something I've been considering for a while anyway. Of course the timing is less than ideal, considering my budget doesn't stretch much beyond €1500. I do have a size 51 2019 GT Grade that I've been really happy with (I keep it in my gravelly homeland, where I spend a lot of time, but it's not logistically feasible to bring the bike back and forth between there and where I currently live). I've always been pretty happy with the Triban fit and used that as a point of comparison when I got the Grade. That worked out pretty well. The Grade is definitely more comfortable overall (especially over long distances), but it does feel a little on the long side which I think could be addressed by getting a shorter stem.

My first idea was just to buy another Grade in the same size online, because I like it, and to get around the issue that I'm not able to try other bikes since they're mostly all sold out in my price range. However, it looks like GT has changed the geometry for the 2020 and 2021 models, making the reach longer and the stack higher. Based on looking at the comparison charts, I think a size 51 would now be too big and I would need a 48? But I'm really not that great at reading bike geometry charts, so if anyone has any advice on the potential fit of these new models I'd be very grateful. I'm 168 cm with a 76 cm inseam, if that helps (so uhhh 5'6 with a 30" inseam?)

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Did 80 miles with 8,200 ft of climbing today with a new bike friend. He said I am "a pretty strong rider" which is always nice to hear and even though I was on my touring bike I managed to drop him on a bunch of hills. Wouldn't have made it home without the clutch burger stop at mile 50.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Babby's first cycling computer is en route.

gently caress yeah, new toy day.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

kimbo305 posted:

You know this thread is hiring for weird content, right?

OK then!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Thanks to Surly low stack, that's not even that offensive of a rise.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

lmao

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Incredible

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Someone posted this in the funny pictures thread and I thought of you guys.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Someone posted this. I haven’t listened to it really but my brief skim through suggests it’d be good.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2aXeOeTLyXefPwKq9xxLwz

E: it even has sandstorm, lmao

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Anza Borrego posted:

Someone posted this in the funny pictures thread and I thought of you guys.

Danny is the real fuckin deal

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Danny is the real fuckin deal

He is a goddamn treasure. I take care of twin 3-year-olds for a living and he has been the center of their universe for at least half of their existence.

Consequently they now spend most of their time on pedal bikes doing sick skids, drops, and logovers.

We still do balance bikes for the really gnarly singletrack, though:

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Modal Auxiliary posted:

We still do balance bikes for the really gnarly singletrack, though:

Why do I get the impression that they are walking it just to find the best line, and then will go back to the top and rip it?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Someone posted this. I haven’t listened to it really but my brief skim through suggests it’d be good.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2aXeOeTLyXefPwKq9xxLwz

E: it even has sandstorm, lmao
Sandstorm: not just for laser tag any more.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Took the steel single to get a sandwich and find a nice spot to eat it and ended up doing 43 miles across the city and back. :blastu:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Not sure if any of you remember me posting a few times about cleaning up after whatever psycho has been spreading nails on the shoulder of a particular stretch of highway.

Apparently whoever's doing it isn't specifically targeting bikes, they're targeting everyone. There's a facebook group now and apparently new nails are almost a daily occurrence, even now when there's no cycling traffic. It's all over the lanes. From the look of the pictures I'm starting to expect that the nails on the shoulder are collateral damage rather than specifically targeting bikes. While I've collected a few handfuls off the shoulders, others are collecting literally buckets full of brand new nails and screws from the car lanes themselves.

People in the region are getting pissed and really starting to lean on the authorities to find whoever is doing this.

While I'm glad it's not some lunatic specifically hating on bikes, it still sucks that it's happening, and it's going to get someone killed.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
any way someone could set up a hunting camera or GoPro to record the bridge and try to narrow it down?