Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

spf3million posted:

Are we talking whole or cubed?
:hmmyes: to everything else

I eat Ensure for every ride including PBP. I think I was carrying 4 bottles. I usually just end up eating at 7-11 or Safeway though for most brevets. It really depends on where you're going. On-bike nutrition is always bottled or liquid though until around 14 hours in. At that point, its been pretty much anything goes. My nausea at 14+hours was only resolved when I started lowering the sheer amount of sugary drinks I was drinking and switched over to solids.

One of the things that helped during PBP was packets of this - https://www.skratchlabs.com/products/sport-recovery-drink-mix?variant=42707389957 Something about the protein and chocolate helped everything go down easier after I had this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
So here's how I know I've become a bit obsessive. I found a PBP video where I popup in the middle of it; this is something I've been looking for since last year on occasion. I finally found one in one of the official videos. I have a pretty distinct riding style so it was easy to find. My wife thinks I'm crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5twczA2uF0U&t=562s

I'm the guy in the white helmet far in the background. 2 seconds later, I'm ahead of the people being featured.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

I don’t find them to be that long wearing, and maybe the 1200 from factory tires put me off.

Just as a side note though - mine last around 3k miles for on-gravel/off-gravel purposes.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Today's the first day where the smoke seems to be receding in the south bay. May want to venture out and do a Bohlman/OnOrbits

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Finally finished my ride around the Bay that I had been planning since the beginning of SIP. Took a little longer than a normal 300k mostly because of the 3k extra feet of climbing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4308324762

I really need to spend more time in the East Bay. Tilden Park and Palomares Road were both amazing. Marin road in Berkeley had a ridiculous incline and we had to walk up in since my friend and I were both wheeling.

In terms of nutrition:

2 Ensure Extra (350 calories each)
2 SIS Beta Fuel packs
1 Jumbo Jack
1 Steak sandwich from a Brazilian BBQ Place
.5 hamburger at Nation's
3 Cokes
1 Pack of Honey Gel (Some kind of Gel, I can't remember)

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

Does wheeling have a specific context here?

Wheelie-ing

spf3million posted:

This is great. Good East Bay choices (aside from Marin Rd.!) Was the Bay bridge closed?

To be honest, I got a little lazy and only decided to "touch" the Bay Bridge. Thinking back, probably wouldn't have hurt to ride up it for pictures.

Steve French posted:

woof, how on earth did you end up going up Marin Ave?? That's a rough climb on any ride or bike, let alone one like that. Continuing straight on Spruce all the way to Grizzly Peak is the way to go to get up there, for sure.

For others' context, the full climb up Marin is about 3/4 of a mile and averages 17% or so. The top part that he rode up is even steeper, over 20% for about a quarter mile or so.

I got up about halfway on the top part and had to get off. It was way too difficult on a fully loaded randonneur bike with front bag. I can't believe there are people who can take that climb on Strava at the speed they do.

If you had the right gearing and the right bike, it'd be an incredible (but somewhat dangerous) place to Everest.

frogbs posted:

So i've got a 52cm Disc Trucker with 26 x 2.1" Gravelkings on it. I want to throw some fenders on for the winter, but I think i'm just at the limit of what the frame will do with fenders. I've got pretty wide rims, and the tires measure out at almost 58mm/2.3". Surly officially says the max the frame can do is 2.1" tires with fenders. Am I dumb to try and squeeze some in there?

Maybe something flatter like the Simworks/Honjo Flat 65's?

Or even the SKS Bluemel 75's, but maybe cut down a bit at the fork crown? .

I think it's possible the SKS p65's might work, but i' have to get a little creative with the struts around the disc brakes/racks I have.

If anyone has experience with big tires plus fenders on a disc trucker let me know!

I'm on 650bx42s, but all of my experience fender-wise is with Honjos. I love them though - lightweight with the right hardware and robust. I smash them against poles and other stuff constantly.

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 10, 2020

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2020/12/10/5-bicyclists-killed-four-injured-southern-nevada-highway-crash-involving-box-truck/3884141001/

drat, these are always the most terrifying. You'd think being a larger group makes everyone more visible. All too familiar with this now.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
I find myself unexpectedly in santa Barbara for a week with a bike and not much else to do but sit in the hotel. Outside of gibraltar is there anything else I need to ride? Saw some nice gravel rides mentioned in one of the randoneur routes here.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Last year with regular randonneuring and PBP I hit 5400 miles, 261k feet of climbing.

This year:

Climbing due to hitting a stride with Alpe de Zwift. This upcoming year, I'm having a kid so I expect the initial run to be pretty bad. Gotta keep in shape though so I can do my PBP qualifiers in 2022 and then hit PBP again in 2023.

Starting off the year with this ride:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34938605

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 1, 2021

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
If it gets people exercising, what's the problem? For me, I'd very much prefer the Wahoo bike if it ever got back in stock;.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Sab0921 posted:

I think I've posted about this before - but I got utterly destroyed by COVID last summer - couldn't walk to the kitchen without having to sit down and catch my breath.

I got into cycling as a way to get my fitness back and was hooked. I started doing 10 mile rides a few days a week and a long ride (25-40 miles) on Saturday mornings. poo poo is fun. I got interrupted by a new baby in November - but he's getting older so long rides are a possibility again.

I hit a personal mileage goal and my wife told me I could go out and get something fancy.

Yesterday went and picked up a proper dentist bike - a new red Cervelo Caledonia. Looking forward to getting a yellow jersey to go along with my dentist bike and hitting the road and trails in the area!

2021 Goals - 1500 miles and a century ride. Mileage isn't as high as most here, but trying to be reasonable given the multiple diapered children and work commitments.

Edit: I meant 2021 goals!

Awesome!

I'm also somewhat glad to hear that COVID didn't appear to cause long-lasting damage for you?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
I've been using Silicone tape instead of eletrical tape. Feels much cleaner and doesn't leave a residue.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Head Bee Guy posted:

who makes cool cycling caps? Looking for anything that’s not cotton, preferably in black.

Ah too bad you don't want cotton. I like these caps:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/enishi-kyoto/albums/72157622669344973/

Also, when people stare at me when I'm cycling, I like to feel like they're just admiring my butt.

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 23, 2021

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
I love the Pearl Izumi Knee and Arm SPF guards. I hate having cream on for a long ride since it just turns into a paste eventually. Worst weather I’ve survived with them on is around 95 degrees in Napa. They’re okay for cold weather as well - they definitely won’t replace a nice set of thermals, but they’re okay for slightly warmer summer nights (I survived a night ride to Davis with them).

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
One of the older guys I know just finished a 600k on a fixie. (Davis 600k). That dude is always seriously impressive but this was one where the elevation profile is 300k up and then 300k downhill.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Agreed on incorrect initial sizing.

In terms of neck pain at 2.5 hours, it could either be a fit issue or strength issue. I'd do some planks for a consistent amount of time and see what happens.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Midwest ride?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

iospace posted:

Thanks. I was in post century exhaustion when I made that post, so to Shadowhand00, I apologize.

I was planning for 100, decided at the last minute to change routes, and when I got to the final stop, I was 85 miles in, checked the distance to home, and found out welp, 23 to go. I rode around the neighborhood a few times to get the 110.

Re: food. I find I can get away with every hour for food, but I went ham with the food on stops yesterday.

Including this wonderful peanut butter sundae:

Yeah, I was going to say, I never said your elevation sucked :). I was more curious where it was.

I have enough experience to know that a flat ride is as tough as a ride with elevation; the toughest 200k I’ve done over the past 2 years was this one:

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/2623947

Rolling hills and climbs have the advantage of giving you both something to push against and the sweet sweet downhill. Flats, you’re pedaling constantly with no stopping.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Lex Neville posted:

Any one of you with rim brakes ever use a clay bar to clean the brake surface on your wheels? I just did and holy poo poo the difference it makes even after thoroughly cleaning the wheel and brake surface with a soapy sponge is staggering

fake edit: I mean the visual difference / amount of grime that comes off still. Haven't ridden yet

I don’t use a clay bar but use a more abrasive bar (Sandflex Sanding Blocks) since those are similar to things like the Magic Rim Stone. Helps a ton and makes braking so smooth (and pretty!)

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
I always laugh when I watch tourists in SF stay on their seats with their tippy toes and then fall over while trying to climb up to the bridge.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Even on my low trail bike I have some amount of toe overlap.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Both look good in terms of fit. The bike miiiight be a little small but nothing that fit was and flexibility can't fix. As others have mentioned , when at a red light your butt should be off the. Ike and over your top tube. That's the safest way to be at a red light without falling over.

Also arch/straighten your back a bit. It shouldn't be curved like that while riding. You can do this be sticking your butt out a little. That will also get your soft spot and sit bones onto your seat. Bend your elbows a bit as well.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Hoods are for aero though and you'd want to be able to shift your position at the hoods. Looks good to me. It's really the back arch that's bothering me right now. Otherwise it looks good. If you are finding keeping your back being difficult the it's a strength thing. Do some planks in addition to cycling to strengthen your core.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
This is a picture of my first bicycle fit. Notice the change in position. I’m also pedaling smoother (I can link the video if you want) but notice how the back angle changes. Ideally, you want to look similar to that; they achieved this for me by lengthening the stem and maintaining a flat hood and handlebar.

The left is the fitted bike. The right is the before.

I personally wouldn’t move up the seat to try to achieve this. If anything, your seat at 30.4” looks fine and in fact looks better. Bend your arms some more and make sure you’re looking up (and not down at the tire).

Edit: Can’t believe that I really got into cycling with that fit 8 years ago. Been a long road.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

spf3million posted:

All this bike fit talk finally got me to book an appointment for myself. I promise to post before/afters!

Where are you going to go for your fit?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

spf3million posted:

3D Bike Fit. Next available appointment wasn't until the end of July!

They’re good but slightly sell-y, at least in the past, meaning, if you’re coming in with a saddle you like, or shoes you like or what not, they would try to sell you on the saddle or shoe they preferred. For a friend of mine, they were really pushing for the saddle they had developed at the time. They also really hate leather saddles (even if that’s your preferred saddle for your use-case).

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

spf3million posted:

Good to know. I currently ride a leather saddle but I'm not married to it. Just the least bad option I've found so far. I'd definitely be open to trying out other saddles. Still getting occasional genital numbness if I don't consciously adjust every 30 minutes or so.

I do have a pair of shoes I like and don't have any foot pain or discomfort, that'll be easy for me to decline. Other stuff like bars, eh I'm pretty happy with mine but I suppose could be convinced to change if presented with convincing reasoning/evidence.

I'm really hoping for someone to tell me how much set back and stem length I need. Also interested in saddle height, cleat location, and possibly crank length but secondary to the other two. That and saddle help.

They're definitely helpful on that. On reconsidering where I was 8 years ago vs. now, I think I just got the impression they were pushing stuff on me because I had no idea what I was doing so I ended up purchasing a stem, saddle, and handlebars from them. Its reasonable thinking about it now since those are the key contact points you're going to them to fix. Nowadays, when I get a bike fit, I already know which gear I want and build bikes that gnerally fit me anyway, so I'm not needing to purchase anything for my contact points that I don't want to.

I think I'm mostly just bitter about the heat molded foot pads I definitely didn't need at the time.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
A friend of mine wakes up every morning at 4am and does a 100k.

His daily ride has 8k ft of climbing in it and I'm pretty sure he owns the local legend for a lot of the climbs around here.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
How're the winspace wheels? Everything YouTube claims they are?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Do those black ones stay cool?

I rode in 90 degree weather with them and they stayed cool when I threw some water on them.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
In my experience, france is basically all rollers and a nightmare.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Probably eating baguette sandwiches and gallettes with sausages the whole way. Maybe some coq au vin, beef stew, some delicious-rear end stuff.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Safety Dance posted:

How dare they! :argh:

If you don't enjoy cycling the way I do, what even are you.

Btw, has anyone tried this saddle? https://www.specialized.com/us/en/power-saddle-mirror

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

learnincurve posted:

Funnily enough I think I have! Not used it but sat on the honeycomb looking one.

I met a man yesterday on this “ Specialized Turbo Creo Expert SL 2021 Carbon Electric Road Bike” in small which does look much better than the larger one they use website pictures, only he’s ripped the stock wheels off and put more expensive silver gravel wheels and tyres on them and re-wrapped the bars with brown leather. Said he got it down to 10kg and put 110 miles on it on one charge before it ran out of battery.

Some bastard broke into his shed and “cut the cable round all my bikes” “….” And he used the insurance to import it. (He had on 20 year old Lycra)

https://www.lordgunbicycles.co.uk/s...f8aAlZlEALw_wcB

Yeah I'm thinking of getting one/trying one out in prep for my long distance rides next year. While I love my Berthoud saddle, I still ended up with numbness at beyond 600k. It was either this or the Infinity saddle.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
You can try concentrated drink mix + water. I've done it in the past for ultra long rides and it helps with keeping a low amount of stuff on the bike for medium rides. Otherwise, training yourself to take in less calories during a ride is an option. There was a point during my PBP training where I was getting about 60-70 miles into a ride before needing food.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Steve French posted:

I did a 100km mountain bike race in 6 ish hours last weekend on two bottles of skratch super fuel and 4 or 5 bottles of skratch hydration mix. I was pretty pleased with how I felt afterwards, though not how I normally fuel my rides.

I haven’t tried the Super Fuel yet on anything >100km (baby care takes top priority so I won’t be able to test until next year) but it seems to do the trick for any potential stomach issues. It is definitely one of the least sugary drinks I’ve tried; just wish it would come in packs for easier transportation. I suppose the lack of sugar is a big reason why a single ~350cal serving is 7 scoops vs. something like hydration mix being 4 scoops (iirc).

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

meltie posted:

Bit annoyed, my new(ish) Endura Pro SL bibs have gone seethrough and holed already - right on the tailbone.

They were only 8 months old and i've probably put about 1500 km on them.

This seems a bit low for what I expected from such highly-rated bibs, but then the fit was always pretty tight on me.

Perhaps my arse was just a bit too big for that size :(

https://www.boure.com/ these have been my go-to for brevets. 3 years ago, I got a pair, rode 2000k+ on these and they're still chugging along (with just the logo rubbing off)

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

ElMaligno posted:

I been looking at both and here are some:
Reach the beach (25/50/75/100 miles, road)
Portland Century (40, 60, 75, 90 and 100 miles, road)
Gorge gravel grinder (51, 67, 93 miles. 50%+ gravel)

There are others but i am not sure if they are rides, races or both. My goals is to basically keep grinding on the bike, get a bike trainer (to train on winter and for my own mental health) and do a handful of em before I leave the area.

http://orrando.blogspot.com/

Looks like there's a number of randonneuring events in your area as well. They're unsupported but there's usually a good and happy group of people to ride with at any pace.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Living in Petaluma will set you up for all sorts of awesome riding, whether its going to Napa and Lake Berryessa, or heading over to Valley Ford, deciding to go to Bodega Bay and Jenner, looping back through Guerneville, or if you want a fun gravel day, going to Old Caz Road. Lots of random little hills and what not and most of the locals are relatively friendly. Its an awesome place to be and I'm intensely jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
If you're doing any touring, as others have said, full coverage. Honjos are great, Berthoud makes some as well, but both of those are top of the line cost-wise.

If you're going anywhere wet with potential cow/horse/animal dung, definitely get fenders. There was a group of people during PBP who got really sick 8 years ago because their water bottles got contaminated with feces (and they didn't have fenders).