Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

spf3million posted:

I really like the Specialized Grail gloves. Padding in the palm instead of the heel/joints so it spreads out the pressure instead of concentrating it where it already is greatest.

e: oh you said unpadded. These have minimal padding buy not completely unpadded.

I had a pair of these. Great design but the glue holding the padding in failed after 6 months of riding. To Specialized's credit, they warranted them.

But then, OP said he wants unpadded so that might be ideal...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Biking update: got stung/bit by a bee/wasp riiiight at that sensitive piece of skin at the base of my nostril.

Don’t let this happen to you.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
In local news, someone in Vancouver lived out my worst nightmare:

quote:

Shortly before noon, Squamish RCMP tweeted they were responding to a collision south of Furry Creek, and that the road was closed in both directions. They warned traffic was backing up and asked drivers to "be patient, be kind, and allow us to do our job and get people all the help they need."
It went on to say, "witnesses reported the strap of the load appeared to have broken causing the load to shift from the rear of the bed, significantly over to the right side of the bed of the truck, and protruding over the shoulder of the highway, unbeknownst to the driver."

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/happy-to-be-alive-and-mad-as-hell-cyclist-hospitalized-after-sea-to-sky-collision-1.5050747

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

numberoneposter posted:

Speaking of amateur racing do you think it will ever exist again, ie next spring, or should I just go full bike packing and call it a day. It's been two years since I actually raced and I geared up for racing this spring but uhh obviously that didn't happen.

Bikepacking is where it's at. The sportier bikes can also double as a gravel bike for long distance gravel events, which seem to be where it's at until this is sorted. Small numbers of racers spread out over a long distance etc. e.g. Merritt Crown, which is happening this saturday: [https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-merritt-crown-2020-tickets-80157087005

First time doing a mountain bike race of any sort. Wish me luck!

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

Samopsa posted:

did you do zwift last time on the trainer? it helps make it more engaging imo, especially doing some races. Riding in the cold doesn't bother me much but riding in the dark on roads sucks rear end, rather be zwiftin and going out riding during the day once a week or so when I'm able to.

This.

Zwift made a huge difference for me. I'd tried trainers previously and it didn't take at all. Smart trainer + zwift is the way to go. Really enjoying the structured workouts on zwift. Put it on ERG mode and put on youtube/podcast whatever.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Welp. Have mostly managed to kill my Hunt 4 Season Disc Gravel rear wheel. About half of the wheel looks like this. These wheels are well within warranty so 🤞 that Hunt is willing to stand by their product.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

Eejit posted:

I have a cracked axle on a Stan's rear wheel I'm trying to warranty so :respek: wheelbuddy

Update: Hunt is sending me a new rim and will cover the cost for my local shop to do the rebuild.

A+++ would buy again.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Aluminum, yes. These wheels have taken some rather large rock hits as I’ve definitely been pushing the boundaries of under biking/making poor decisions.

While I’m happy with the Hunts in terms of price/performance, my next set of rims will likely be carbon and for my trail bike. We Are One Composites are well regarded, local to BC and also do a lifetime warranty.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
2020 by the numbers, in :canada: units:

KM goal: 7,000 km
Actual KM: 8,957 km
Total days: 182
Total time: 369 hours
Elevation: 111,444 m
2 races entered, 1 race finished.

2021:
- finish the full 120km of the Merritt Crown (ran out of daylight at 110km this year)
- undertake some sort of structured training
- 6 hours a week
- find more gravel races

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

Goon500 stickers are on the loose and most definitely pooch approved. It was all worth it.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
numberoneposter you should most definitely buy this Brodie Romax Ti currently on FB marketplace in YVR so you can have bikes with matching hubs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

Post dat post.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Bottom brackets. Are high end rackets worth the incremental cost?

My Easton BB on my gravel bike is toast. Easton is sold out of replacements but I’m not sure I’d go that direction again given how quickly this one failed: just over 5,000km and it now requires two hands to back pedal when mounted on my stand...I’m in the PNW so we get a good amount of water obviously, which may account for the short life.

I’m looking at Wheels MFG or perhaps even Chris King as replacement options. Is Chris King worth the extra cost in terms of longevity/performance? What of the ceramic bearings they offer?

This is for a 30mm spindle, BSA 68mm of folks have other suggestions that I have missed.

mexecan fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 7, 2021

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

I've been in the interior of BC for the latest wave of the pandemic. Decided to use my day off on friday to attempt a ride I've been thinking about for the last year.

Drove from Kamloops to Clinton and rolled out just after 7am. Still lots of snow in the shadows throughout. Temperature was -2 Celsius when I started. I hadn't factored in how much colder it would be at this elevation. No leggings but a Patagonia soft shell kept me mostly warm until things started warming up later in the morning.

This descent murdered my brakes. Fresh pads on TRP Spyres and they were of no use by the time I was 1/4 of the way down. Not sure if anything would have done better?? I'm a hefty fella.

Pretty okay at bikes.

Made a friend here. I'm super spooked by dogs when riding in remote areas but this fella was pretty swell.

This sucked. Time for new tires.

Finish.

:canada: Naturally. The syrup is for recovery.

Total distance: 126 km, 2,300m.

Strava here: https://www.strava.com/activities/5180195720

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
So over the last few years I've had a problem with pain in the toes and front of my feet when riding. I've tried a number of things to remedy it and am looking for suggestions on what else I might consider.

Essentially, on any ride longer than 2 hours, it comes on gradually, starting as a hot spot in the toes on the outside of my right foot and then spreading to a wider area of my forefoot. Sometimes it's just a dull pain and other times I have to stop riding, get off the bike and sit down or walk it off because the pain is such that I can no longer turn the pedals. This happens on longer rides, anything over 100km. It's super frustrating as there are often times where I feel like I have lots of energy in the legs but have to soft pedal because of the foot pain.

Today I rode 100km at a moderate pace on gravel. By about 60km, I was soft pedaling to manage the pain.

I don't see this as a bike fit issue. It manifests on two pairs of shoes (Giro Empire Road and Shimano XC5 Gravel) on three different bikes: road, gravel and mountain.

Things I've tried to do to fix it:
- wider pedals (trail pedals on both the gravel and mountain bike) to spread out the 'load' on a wider base
- loosening my shoes at the front. both pairs I wear are lace up so it's pretty easy to adjust.
- had a bike fit done by a physiotherapist with a practice that specializes in cycling. she diagnosed varus wedges for both pairs of shoes. this was about a year ago and it hasn't helped at all.

At this point, I'm pondering if there are specific brands of shoes I might consider. Or exercises? I'm guessing this is a bigger body-mechanical issue but obviously don't have expertise in this area.

Thoughts? Anything else I should consider here?

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Gulf CAAD is sold. RIP. Was a bit reluctant to sell it but it's not really the style of riding I'm into anymore.

Currently considering options for a replacement bike on the racy side of the gravel spectrum. I'll probably grab two sets of wheels, once for road and another for gravel. I already have a Black Mountain MCD, which does the touring/bikepacking stuff ably. Number one contender at this point is a Cervelo Aspero. The new Allied Echo looks appealing but is very very dear in comparison to the GRX 600 Aspero. Any other options I should consider here??

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Any recommendations for an alternative to the Hunt 34 Aero Wide, which are back ordered to November?

Looking for a road/gravel wheelset. Disc compatible for a 28c - 32c tire width. Easton EA90SL? Anything else?

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Thoughts on gravel wheelsets? Two options I’m contemplating right now:

1. We Are One carbon Revive rims + Industry 9 1/1 hubs + Sapim Race spokes - $1400 CAD

2. Hunt Gravel Race Disc $900 CAD

The costs for the We Are Ones will be about $300 more when you add shipping and duty. There’s also a wait until November.

We Are Ones are carbon and have nicer hubs. I’m also local to BC so would find it easier to deal with then if/when I have warranty issues.

Anything I’m missing here? Other options?

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

sweat poteto posted:

Which tires are you running? WEO rim is 25mm internal and hookless vs the 22mm hooked rim on the Hunt.

38c Pathfinder Pros or 42c Resolutes depending on the season and how wet/muddy it is.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

Wendigee posted:

Is there a known option for a large head like mine?

I have the same size of head. I’ve tried most brands and found that POC fits well for large noggins. Their largest size goes up to 62cm.

But they are dear and can be hard to find in Canada.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

nwin posted:

Is there much of a markup on used bikes right now?

Gonna depend on your local market but as others have noted, it’s the wrong time of year for most folks. And, anecdotally, the availability of new bikes does seem to be improving.

With that said, Cannondale CAAD frames do tend to hold their value well, especially with a decent spec like yours. I sold my 2013 rim brake CAAD 10 for close to its MSRP earlier in the summer. It’d been upgraded but I took the approach of “ask a stupid price and see what happens.”

I’d clean it up, take some nice photos and see what happens.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

two questions: switching to an enve gravel carbon handlebar for my gravel bike and i want to get a different stem, something with a better integrated mount setup rather than putting poo poo on the bars. suggestions? zipp and enve both have their own stem + mount systems that look mostly ok, i see specialized has a stem that i could use a k-edge mount with...anything else i should check out? not sure its worth getting a carbon stem.

I have the same enve gravel bar with the easton stem + mount. went with it for the same reasons. you can spend as much/little as you like on the stem and pair it with the mount. no complaints and I have a much cleaner bar setup. pairs well with the knog bell.

https://eastoncycling.com/products/easton-icm-mount

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

Hadlock posted:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/dublin-club-fuji-valite-steel-road-bike/7613427032.html

Mid 80s Red Fuji club for $250 looks all original? Looks like a mish mash of period correct sugino and suntour

Other option is this, but I like the look of the red bike better, all my bikes have been red and how a bike looks matters a lot to me if I'm gonna ride it

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/d/santa-clara-1988-cannondale-sr500/7616241940.html

Thoughts.

I’m with you on aesthetics. IMO the old Cannondale slaps. Classic colourway and I love that old logo. I think there’s a CAAD13 rim brake frame where they’ve redone a similar colourway/typeface.

Dunno much about that Fuji but if it’s a more touring-focused frame it would likely be more suited to towing a trailer than the Cannondale though.

But aesthetics first for sure.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Anyone with good intel on riding around Boise, Idaho? I’m there for a week later in July and am considering bringing my gravel bike. It’s a work trip but would be good to find some good riding.

Strava has some suggested loops but I’m reluctant to rely upon it given how little I know about the area. Or if the riding is terrible and I shouldn’t bother I’d wanna know that too.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Is this a terrible deal? Seems okay but I find it really hard to value rim brake bikes now.

Also, is it terrible that I want it?? I should never have sold my Gulf CAAD10.

Appreciate any guidance the thread can offer.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3617035/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
I’m noodling on doing some long distance gravel events that will have me riding at length in the dark.

What’s the thread consensus for lighting options that don’t involve a dynamo hub?