Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I like my Codes. I hated my Guides. I need to bleed my Rivals. That’s my SRAM brake story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

a foolish pianist posted:

I posted about smashing my bike off the roof rack of my car a while ago: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933899&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=38#post507880717

I finally took my rear wheel off and got a closer look at the damage on the inside of the stay joint by the derailleur hanger on my cutthroat, and here it is:

My best guess is that the chain jumped off the smallest cog when the bike hit the ground, and that impact also moved the pedals suddenly, causing the chain to grind against the inside of the stay joint briefly. The damage seems to be mostly paint, looks like a small scratch to the carbon, so I'm going to try not to fret too much about it while riding and just keep an eye on it for cracking. I guess I got lucky given how bad the damage could have been.

I think that's fine.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Clark Nova posted:

People just call all quick links "connex." Please respect the connex trademark or else, uh, nothing will happen

I don't think this is true, btw. Connex refers to a type of quick link sold by a specific company.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Clark Nova posted:

:shrug: pretty sure I've heard it used interchangeably, on this forum and others

VideoGameVet posted:

Well, look what happened to the word Xerox.

Y’all are right. I’m bringing fake news to the bike thread.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

kgibson posted:

What is everyone’s preferred method or implement to add sealant to tubeless tires? I’ve been unseating the tire and pouring sealant in but am growing to realize how stupid and irritating that is.

It's either that or removing the valve core and using an injector to push it through the valve.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I have used the Stans one forever and it seems fine

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Depending on what type of brakes you’re talking about that is not necessarily true re: new brakes. SRAM road hydro levers and brakes are almost $500 for Rival level.

I also know some people who tour online like how its easier to fix mech on the road

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Levitate posted:

Do I need an adapter to change from a FSA crank with a press fit BB (this is an older Cervelo frame so I think it's a BBright style)? I don't need to swap the BB for any particular reason but changing from the FSA crank it came with to a R7000 crank...Shimano documation doesn't mention anything for using their BBs but seems like wheels manufacturing makes an adapter...?

Not sure how or if it’s changed but when i moved to a Shimano crank on a press fit frame i had to get a new BB.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
If you hit them, just use some isopropyl alcohol on a paper towel and wipe them down.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Either way, if the chain was used too long that wouldn’t be out of the ordinary for needing to replace the cassette and maybe chainrings.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
If you are getting one for bottom bracket use, make sure it can measure torque in the counterclockwise direction. Not all of them do and I almost screwed up as a result of expecting a click that never came.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Some things I'd do to check things out:

> Take your wheels off, clean the rotors with a shop towel and some isopropyl alcohol.
> Take your pads out. Check and see how much material is left. If you have 3 business cards around, that's a good depth that if you're close or below, changing out the pads is a good idea.
> If your pads have enough material left, I would take some sand paper and sand off the top layer. Be sure when you put everything back together you bed things back in to make sure you're braking power is OK before going out on a ride.

As for the rubbing, you might be able to center it up by eye, but I haven't done it with mechanical discs in a while so I'm unsure what the easiest tricks are. With hydros it's not too bad.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
If you tap around the cracks along the frame, does sound change much? Hard to tell really from a photo. Could easily be just cosmetic.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

sweat poteto posted:

Whoops, not apex as Kimbo said. If you're not getting a complete group, I'd get a different chainset like praxis or Easton ea90 that take DM rings. Easier to swap and unambiguous compatibility.

Second this. The EA90 is a great crank, but you do need a tool to swap rings.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Rear tires wear faster for everyone. Some people when in the situation you are throw the rear out, move the front to the rear and buy a new front tire. The idea being you want your front to be in best condition because of how important it is when riding. Tires can make a big difference in how your bike rides, brakes, and grips in turns. So should you upgrade? Part of this is a function of what you are running now, part is how much money you are looking to spend. If things are tight, buying one tire is certainly cheaper and you could even buy a nicer one if you wanted. “Nicer” here would be just better matching the tire to the type of riding you are doing these days over what the bike was originally built with by the manufacturer. What tires are you currently running? Do you have any issues with them currently? Like they are draggy on the MUPs or don’t give you much grip on the MTB trails. In general, you’d probably want to run XC tires that are fast rolling, especially in the back, with something a little gripper up front. Example tires might be a Bontrager XR1 or XR2, Vittoria Mezcal, Maxxis Aspens or Rekon Race.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
He says that he is riding green level trails too. I doubt he wants a pure slick. A tire like this is probably about as good as you could do in the back

https://www.vittoria.com/us/en/tires/mtb-xc/terreno

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

ExecuDork posted:

Thanks everyone, lots to look into - I especially appreciate the specific tire names, great starting place. I have some reading to do. Plot twist: I'm in Australia, we'll see what's available.

Currently the bike is wearing WTB Starflight, though I can't find that model name from current WTB websites. Whatever, they were cheap.

I know a MTB wearing MTB tires is going to be slower than either a hybrid or a road bike wearing appropriate tires, but I'm happy with my riding speeds. My previous Frankenbike had new (and very cheap) road tires but the entire drivetrain needs to be replaced; moving from it to my new-but-not-top-of-the-line MTB I got noticeably faster. My cruising speed on most of the MUP is about 25-30 km/h, the fastest I routinely get is about 45 km/h on the big downhill and my personal speed record (when I glanced quickly down at my cheap little computer) was 51 km/h. Considerations that are important at 40 mph on a good road bike are mostly irrelevant to me.

Yup. I'll look for a hybrid tire (thanks again for the many suggestions everyone) and put it on the back. Party in the front, business in the back, my bike will be the reverse-mullet.

EDIT: lots of tires are listed as tubeless ready. I'm OK to stick with tubes, these tires will work with the traditional inner-tube setup, right?

Yes, you’ll be fine. That said, going tubeless especially if you do ride trails might be something to consider in the future.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Tubeless is also something once you get used to it isn’t that bad. Ymmv of course

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

VelociBacon posted:

I just get irritated thinking about the sealant going hard in my wheels while my bikes sit in my apartment between use. I know it's not a huge deal, you just add more, etc but I can't stop myself from going over and spinning the wheels all the time to move it and I just generally don't like the idea of having a mess inside my wheel that weighs not nothing when you keep adding sealant every season. Ehhh.

Good thing no one is going to come twist your arm and make you do it. If tubes work for you, rock n roll

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
(1) I normally just grease and torque to spec but don’t guess threadlocker would hurt?
(2) No grease, but will use carbon paste if carbon is involved.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I was working on bikes earlier today and checked and I didn’t have have any grease on cockpit stuff, so sorry for bad info there.

I do use carbon paste though on bars and seat posts. (Edit: when carbon is involved before a goon flips there mind and misreads this.)

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Depending on budget, Shimano SLX brakes are a nice sweet spot in price and functionality.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Organic pads are fine ime. No reason to write them off. Quieter with good initial bite.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I've had to warranty Maxxis tires that had a wobble to them. It's not unheard of.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Plastic tire levers also work just as well as a screwdriver for pushing pistons back in.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Centering rotors can be a pain, honestly. Just be patient and take your time. You'll eventually get it.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah plastic is a better idea.
Loosen the caliper bolts, squeeze the brake lever to clamp the brakes on the rotor, tighten caliper bolts, release the brake lever?

This is a good starting point IME, but doesn't fix it all of the time.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It snapped off.
So no matter what other dimensions are listed, as long as it says 700x35(in that range) I'll be ok?

Yep. As kimbo said though, make sure the valve stem is long enough.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

eSporks posted:

Don't listen to this ignorance. I don't know why anyone would opt to have the majority of their grip be hard plastic. Lock ons are for lazy people.

If you don't have an air compressor you can carefully slide a screwdriver under the grip. Once it's under there, spray some rubbing alcohol inside. You can also insert the screwdriver in stages, spraying alcohol in periodically as you go deeper.
Once that is done, it slides off easy peasy.

To install without a compressor, you can try rubbing alcohol, although it sometimes takes a few days to dry. Another method is to put 4-5 zip ties inside the grip. Slide it on with the zip ties, then use some pliers to pull the zip ties out.

Ergon grips are all use a bolt to go on/off. So they are for lazy people? You’re just be lovely and dumb in a different way. Congratulations!

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I've had luck loosening the brake bolts, holding down the lever (with the wheel in place) and then retightening the bolts. After that, I let go of the lever.

I'm down to hear why that's the wrong thing to do though.

It’s not wrong and is usually good enough to get it right or get you in a good starting point to tweak by hand.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Also depending on your crank, it may be recommended by the manufacturer. Easy to google and check the manual.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
If you need an axle in the bike you just use the TA. I can’t see a reason to use QA.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Nyyen posted:

It will coast a bit. Wouldn't that possibly cook the pads though?

No

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
The sram issue was in the lever not the piston in the caliper.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
It was present on guide brakes sold the generation before the g2 ones.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Dave Rome has 2 good articles on torque wrenches at CyclingTips that were just released. Good intro to using them and what to look for. Lots of different styles that touch different price points.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Either move them toward the stem or use the other side of the paddle where you are pushing toward the brake lever, not into the bars. If you can adjust angle of shifter and brakes independently you may also be able to angle it in a way where movement works both ways in current position.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
You need to go toward the stem or use the button the other way (away from the bars).

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Suburban Dad posted:

Cranks back on but now have more questions. I've heard some fox forks come blobbed with too much grease in them so they can't equalize pressure. I wonder if mine has this issue because it makes a hissing noise after every compression and appears to have a shitload packed down in there when removing the air valve. My 34 Rhythm (130mm rhythm vs 140mm factory, both 34s) doesn't make this noise at all so something seems off.

Right click, show controls, and turn the sound on. Dunno if there's a way to have them on by default, but that would feel like an autoplay ad and piss me off too. :v:
https://i.imgur.com/v6m1zS6.mp4

I think the answer is do a lower service (well, at least remove the lowers and replace the oil that's lost. I have 3 rides on this fork so the seals are fine...) and clean that poo poo out, but wanted to get more thoughts here first before taking apart a brand new part. I like a quiet bike and would like to fix it if possible.

E: more googling says people say it is normal and is caused by the oil moving through small holes depending on what rebound is set to. Indeed changing rebound changes it so I'll just check the excess grease when I change the oil for the first service.

IME, Fox dampers have a bit of a sound to them. The grease thing could still be an issue. It was with mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

My gravel bike (Orbea Terra) says not to use spacers above the stem. Is that likely specific to the stem, rather than any other reason? I want to try out a lower stem position but I don't want to commit to cutting the steerer just yet. Could I swap out the stem and use spacers above temporarily?

It's likely because you have a carbon steerer and the expansion plug provides support behind the stem when tightened down. This recommendation by bike companies is common. If you eventually cut the steerer once you settle on a position, you should be fine. If you want to be sensitive to the manual, you can buy a cheap stem with a big negative angle to approximate the new position but leaves the stem at the top of the steerer. If you have a round steerer tube, you can also buy a long plug to provide support further down the steerer.

You can use https://www.bikegeocalc.com to approximate positions with different stems, etc. if you want to compare things.