Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Spoke tension measuring tool - shell out for a Park, or is there an accurate knockoff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

"Hose fitting" assuming these look right https://www.jensonusa.com/Hydraulic-Lines-Fittings

Remember that you're talking about a part that can be lethal if it fails - make sure you DO NOT order from somewhere like amazon, regardless of the seller

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I feel like the fact that maintenance tutorials always say "unless you have Campagnolo" is all I need to know

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Sentient Data posted:

I'm getting close to 1k miles and I usually ride heavy and fast, so I'm planning to replace my pads and do brake fluid exchange. Brand suggestion for high quality pads to put in a tektro hydraulic setup? Humid area for now, but I'm also game for suggestions for a desert climate for later. I'd prefer quieter and don't care about super long life, I just don't want to sacrifice stopping power

Got overlooked in the ebike thread, any suggestions on this side for disc brake pads for heavy/fast riding?

vvv:
I'm not particularly unhappy with stock, I just figured a scheduled swap is the perfect time for an upgrade since better-than-oem usually exists in one form or another

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 5, 2023

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Same question for home use, any good park knockoffs?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Is there even a point in going tubeless? The only benefit I see people calling out is running at a lower psi. It feels like the fat tire bike trend all over again

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

SimonSays posted:

Thisisbait dot gif

No, and these kind of unhelpful dismissive replies are why I had to ask in the first place. Go back to trolling a Linux forum with that attitude :thumbsup:

Guinness posted:

Yes, no pinch flats and small punctures seal themselves before you even know they happened.

Haven't had a flat in 1k miles after switching to marathon tires with standard tubes, at least this is good to know if problems crop up eventually

Platystemon posted:

I do it for the lower rolling resistance. :shobon:

I thought the opposite was true? I knew it as lower psi for more grip but needing to spend more energy, higher psi for lower rolling resistance

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 24, 2023

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

SimonSays posted:

If you're mountain biking in thorn country go tubeless, that's what it's for

This is the best succinct way to put it, and that info surprisingly isn't as clear when googling that's why I asked thanks

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

ohhyeah posted:

I replaced a bike chain and ended up with a couple of extra links. Is there any reason to hold on to them? Relatedly is there a better place for the old chain than the trash?

Grab some key rings and make a couple of these for the heck of it

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Does the clip hold itself together enough that you can assemble it around a shoe to use it as a vise/handle?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Sometimes beads can seat pretty violently so don't let that worry you as long as you made sure there weren't any spots where the tube got stuck between the tire and rim. The noise could have also been from your spokes, go around the wheel squeezing pairs of spokes near where they cross to see if any feel super loose or super tight compared to the others

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

And if that's impossible with your setup, what about unmounting the hose and caliper to lift the complete brake system in the air without needing to lift the whole cargo bike?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Unless you want to be his bike shop in the future when things go wrong, it might be a better idea to find the closest place willing to do the assembly and fitting and make sure the build goes through them. When you're pushing the limit of what a bike is designed to handle, you're going to need a lot more regular maintenance and tweaks

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Their yells as they rode over the cliff edge, on the other hand...

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

TheFluff posted:

Whining aside, what should I read/watch to get better at basic maintenance of my basic bitch commuter bike where I give zero fucks about weight and all the fucks about comfort and convenience?

Stuff focused on mountain biking will feel more at home, they don't have nearly as vocal a portion of high end snobs. There will be some things you can ignore like jumps and dropper seat posts, but even topics like tips about riding in gravel, pathing, and mild rocky terrain can all apply to city riding especially if you ride on people-less sidewalks

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Since chain lube has come up, quick reminder that you shouldn't just slather it on the outside. Take a couple minutes to slowly go link by link and pop a drop of it into the gaps of each linkage. The parts that rub and really need the lube are on the inside of the chain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Seo farm page, but few examples of the type of thing you can use. Make measurements of your tubes so you know what size you need, and remember to look at the weight limits of the bar you pick out

https://pedalstreet.com/best-bike-frame-adapter-bar/

E: contact the bike company and see if there's a particular adapter they recommend, they work on the bike all the time after all. They're bound to have specialized gear at the factory but they probably have a good idea

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 10, 2024