Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I personally would recommend the pedals that aren't designed to break in half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-QNAwUdHUQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

eSporks posted:

I've always been curious about that myth.

In the BMX world, everyone knows it's the opposite. Chrome rims provide far superior stopping power than anodized.

I've definitely experienced garbage performance on cheap beach cruisers with chrome rims though.

Does anyone know what's actually going on there? Because it's not as a simple as chrome/not-chrome.
Judging by the few BMX bikes I've worked on, stopping power is not a concern that designers give much thought to. Have you tried a side by side comparison of different wheels on same bike?

The stopping power difference becomes much more noticeable in wet conditions. You need the iron oxide based brake pads to get wet steel rims to do anything more than just sorta slow you down a little.

Some steel rims are textured for increased brake performance:

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 28, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

eSporks posted:

Scuse me?
It could be that I mostly deal with BMX shaped objects, but between stamped steal cailpers, u-brakes, a gyro, and the front brake cable making a u-turn, they seem mostly vestigial.

I want to see more close up pics of your bike that actually has functional brakes.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I just use Q-tubes. They are qbp's house brand and appear to be repackaged Kenda tubes.

Tubes are just a commodity to me though. I get whatever is cheapest and not labeled as extra light or heavy duty.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

nm posted:

Rather go slightly oversized than undersized
I personally like one size smaller better than one size bigger, but I would probably call 35 two sizes smaller than 48.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

nm posted:

On 48 particularly I had a lot of flat issues due to rub running 45mm tubes. Switched to 2.0 and they went away.
I think it is worth noting that you might be an edge case to the newcomers here that might have trouble stuffing a larger tube into a tire without pinching it.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Lord Rupert posted:

Any thoughts on wether this cassette is too worn or not would be appreciated. Got a cyclical clunking/clicking when pedaling but not coasting. Three seasons of mountain biking on this drivetrain, with a new chain still made the same noises around the block. Probably just taking it in anyways, but I gotta wait a days time for that.

Does the new chain skip? No? Then keep using it.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I start tours tubeless now. So far I'm at 5 out of 6 tires making it to the return flight without having to put a tube in.

That 1 instance was because I wore a tire down to the casing and I decided to not to attempt the futile effort of setting a bead with a hand pump on the edge of a road halfway up a mountain. Also neither tire was designed to be tubeless :shrug:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

nm posted:

put orange seal in your tubes for flat resistance,
I keep seeing people saying this, but I am yet to see any evidence of it being effective.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

e.pilot posted:

I double flatted last week with orange seal in the tubes, reinflated and went on to do 150 more miles and counting still holding air no problem.
Okay. Maybe a stupid question, but I only ask because I've seen it before: Is your tube or the tire holding the air in?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I used to do all sorts of asinine stuff to mount tires. Now I just add more layer of tape if I can't set them with a floor pump. I stopped being stingy with tape since I learned about this stuff:
https://tapesmaster.com/collections/green-powder-coating-tapes

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Flatland Crusoe posted:

also means making the poor decision to inject sealant thru valve stems which never ends well either.
You know you're supposed to take the valve core out first, right?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

beep-beep car is go posted:

It’s this one

That’s what I figured. Seems like it would be unusual for a BB to be bad on a brand new bike. I’ll check the pedals first, that’s easy to look into.
While that is a lower end bike, it is still a REAL bike. As long as it is assembled properly a normal bike shop won't shouldn't laugh at you. I'm guessing it has a cartridge style square taper bb. If you want try tightening it yourself you'll most likely need the following (a chance that these aren't the right tools, some close up pics would help):
- 8mm allen with a long handle, not some puny multitool
- crank puller
- 20 tooth bottom bracket tool

If you are trying to build up a bike toolkit, I recommend buying park or pedros tools as you need them instead of buying any kits.

disclaimer: tightening your bottom bracket might not help your creak.

Also, read repair guides. Bikes have some stuff that is reverse threaded and it is good to figure that out before you use a cheater bar to tighten things even further.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 5, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

beep-beep car is go posted:

I will do this too. Do I need to get a repair stand?
Need? No. Nice? Yes, however Cranking on a stuck bottom bracket is something that many portable stands are not designed to endure.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Congratulations on finding a good use for a non-stick skillet.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

I guess tubeless is that good that it's worth carrying all the extra kit?

Add for tubeless
- CO2 inflator in case you need to re-seat the bead
- tire plugs
- spare valve stem
- spare valve core
- spare sealant

Standard kit
- mini pump - still need for tubeless for small pressure modifications
- tire boot - still need for tubeless for large holes
- spare tube - still need for tubeless just in case you have a gigantic hole
- tube patches - still need for tubeless in case your spare tube gets a puncture
I just carry standard kit plus the bacon strips.

If it is a multi day ride I'll include a spare valve core.

If it is a multi week ride I'll carry some extra sealant.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Cannon_Fodder posted:

figured out that I have loose bearings in the cassette,
Learning the difference between a cassette and a freewheel will help you buy the correct tools. Also, having the patience to put a freewheel back together after the dozens of ball bearings fall out is impressive.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Mauser posted:

My order of tubeless valves never got delivered
I have used valves cut out of old tubes with some success.

Nyyen posted:

having trouble with upshifting that I've never had before.
Check derailleur hanger alignment and install new shift cable & housing.

e: that derailleur isn't rapid rise, is it? If so it probably isn't cable/housing... Unless you call going down to the bigger gears upshifts.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 13, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

sweat poteto posted:

1" Gorilla works fine though.
My half empty bottle of naphtha says otherwise. Someday you will have to re tape and regret it.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

z16bitsega posted:

Also do not try to remove a freewheel without the correct tool, depending on the exact brand/age of the existing freewheel the correct tool should be extremely cheap.
Don't worry, there are only seven nine to choose from and only two of them look the same but will strip your tool.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone else in here with discs, how often do you end up loving around with those things because they loosened/got squeaky/whatever else?
I donno... I guess every few months I'll turn either the inside or outside pad adjuster in a click or two. BB7's don't self adjust like hydraulics, but they are easy to adjust.

SimonSays posted:

I got fed up and went back to cantilevers

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Do any of you have much experience with the yokozuna brakes vs hyrd? The being able to dial in the bite seems like something I would appreciate more than self adjusting for pad wear.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

e.pilot posted:

alfine on drop bars.
Are you doing microshift or di2?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

e.pilot posted:

I was really hoping this was going to be like the canti brake video a while back where he took it off and hucked it in the trash.
Would you like me to make a video on how to service sticky hydro sram levers?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

Pitching those in the garbage might be satisfying but shipping them off for warranty and then selling the new ones they send as replacements (don't use em, they'll fail too, even the 'redesigned' ones) gets you money for actual good bike parts.
Does Sram care about the provenance of their levers? 'Cause I got all sorts of brakes that get unloaded at the bike coop.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Time posted:

1. 2x setup when im on the big cog in front and in the middle on the rear cassette, my chain will refuse to stay in gear. skipping might be the right word but its more like it just keeps trying to shift over and over.
Does this happen only when pedaling hard or even with soft pedaling? Was your chain replaced recently without changing back gears? Can you tell if it is trying to shift off your front or back gears?

Time posted:

2. when I am in pedaling pretty hard in the bottom two gears on the rear cassette
Bottom two as in lowest two gears or smallest two gears?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Dolemite posted:

I had to use tire levers to get the last part of the bead on.
This is kind of an advanced procedure that is easy to gently caress up. Try you best without a tire lever and see if you can get your hands on a bike tire bead jack if you absolutely cannot do it by hand.

When trying again by hand, save the spot with the valve for last and try to get some slack by squeezing the tire toward the center of your rim profile.

Before inflating pull back on the bead all the way around the tire to make sure no tube is pinched between tire and rim. If there is some stuck at the valve, just push the stem down some to free it up.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

1) anyone know if there's a difference in the bearings?
Xero 6803LH:

unbranded 6803LB:
Those letters on the end just refer to the low friction seals on the bearings.

https://eshop.ntn-snr.com/en/Suffix-Prefix-Equivalences-3964225.html

As for the rolley part of the bearings, without any manufacturer tolerance claims I would more or less consider them equivalent.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

ExecuDork posted:

#1 pushes the chain into the thin metal shield on the wheel, but the chain does not come off the cog
Reading this causes me distress.
Please learn about adjusting the low limit screw.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Freehub pawls half catching then slipping. Some can be opened up with no tools and some require taking out all the loose ball bearings.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Ehh, should not happen on a new bike. I imagine the most likely cause is that the grease is a little too thick and making it stick. If I didn't just buy the bike from a local bike shop, I'd probably try flushing a little bit of light weight oil like triflow at the spot where the freehub meets the hub.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

I'm trying to understand how GXP deals with bracket type FDs.
I looked through the sram frame fit documentation and it looks like just act like those derailleurs don't exist.

I do recall seeing some gap on the drive side last time I installed a gxp, but I can't recall if it would have been enough to leave room for the fd mount.

I personally would just try it, but I would tell other people to get the frame faced down to 68mm.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

That is interesting. I wonder if their crank spindle is a smidge longer than sram normally does. Too bad nobody actually publishes that number despite how important it is for frame fit.

Sram doesn't seem to officially support it.

People on mtbr seem to have varying success installing chain guides with GXP because there is generally ~2mm extra spindle length on the drive side.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

If you don't have it already, compressionless brake housing helps a little.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Can we get some Fs in chat for this tried and true workhorse:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I'll probably start giving tange ln-3922 a try for my projects

E: or the cheapest sunlite has to offer because the JBI rep is pretty good about returns.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Too much cable tension pressing hard against the high limit can make the downshift click a harder press, but you would definitely notice it when jamming the shifter into high gear.

Front deraileurs are finicky. I don't want to suggest one easy fix, because every combination goes a little different. Like Kimbo was hinting at, there are all sorts of adjustments to front deraileurs:
Height, Yaw, Limits, and Cable tension. The first two usually require literally loosening and moving the deraileur. If you take a couple hours to put your bike up on a stand and see how each sort of adjustment can effect shifting (and chain drop :v: ) it should become more clear what adjustments you need to do.

Often times just a slight yaw adjustment or lubricating the pivots can solve front shifting problems. Any height adjustment will also require the cable tension to be readjusted.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

That chain does not come with a masterlink.

Not a huge deal, you just don't need the masterlink pliers. The pin is one time use, so if you think you might gently caress up the chain length, get extras or a new master link.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 22, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I made a tutorial to share with aspiring wheel builders for calculating spoke lengths.
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ULyPizAvmtR_SJlOeXDUb4XNIsOIiFklmvbsKRrEAMQ/edit?usp=sharing

I did not make a tutorial on how to physically measure a hub and rim. Figure that out yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

MalleusDei posted:

Does this chainring look ok, or is it due for replacement?
Edit: struggling with phone posting.

The big ring? There is some wear, but I see people riding much worse without trouble. If it shifts fine and new chains mate up nicely without any gaps between it and the rollers there is no harm in going until the teeth get more deformed.