Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

My 4iii NDS crank PM battery contact snapped off. I soldered it back in place and it seems to be working fine now, but I got a bit of the plastic shell melted in the process and it’s not going to be watertight now. This is my cross bike so it’s subject to awful conditions.

I’ve got some heat shrink tubing that I was thinking of putting over the crank arm and PM with overhang. This would be easy enough to cut off when the battery dies but should keep it pretty water tight, perhaps with some dielectric grease to help plug any gaps first.

Any other ideas that might work better?

What works is going to depend on how big the hole is and its location, but a couple of other things you can try are cutting off a section of old inner tube and stretching it over the whole thing or getting some silicone and dabbing a bit of that on the hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Is there a benefit to an inner tube over heat shrink tubing? I figure the tubing would produce a tighter seal when it gets shrunk down to fit.

I haven't played with heat shrink enough to know which one is best. I just threw it out because old tubes are something that people have lying around for free.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

taqueso posted:

There is heat shrink tubing with waterproof adhesive built in, that stuff should work great.

How easily does the adhesive come off when it's time to change the battery?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

ChocNitty posted:

All the tire tube patch kits i've used work like poo poo, and the tubes continue to slowly leak air.

My inflatable air mattress sprung two leaks in tricky areas over a felt material, and I used some flex tape and it stopped those leaks dead.

It is so sticky that I had a hard time getting the scissors off of it after cutting it.

I'm guessing the flex tape is too thick to use for road bike tire tubes. Is there tape that's equally as sticky, but thinner?

Are you using glue-on style patches like these?

Or glueless ones like these?

Because the stick on ones are really just good to get you home. The glue on ones are pretty bulletproof and permenant.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

Because you're way more likely to have your crank arm come off.

Isn't that what the bolt on the end is for?

I poked around a bit and found a thread where people argue about it.

It looks like a lot of people do grease square tapers without any trouble. Some people don't do it just because that's just how it should be done and some don't because they're afraid of the crank sliding too far up and splitting. I'm not sure I understand the physics of that second case.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Grease reduces the friction coefficient at a given load, and thus the friction force at a given displacement (of how far the crank is threaded down onto the taper).
Where once the crank would stop moving further down because friction was essentially holding it in place, now there's less resistance, so you can torque the crank down more, applying more splitting stress to the inside of the crank interface.

But it's still a taper. Regardless of grease, it can only go so far until the full surface is engaged and it stop sliding. A crank that would split on a greased taper would split on an ungreased taper the same way.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Mederlock posted:

On this topic, are there such things as.. better tubes? Like we've just got some basic generic tubes in our tires right now, but are there improvements that can be made in some upgrades? Are like, tubes with sealant a thing? Or some kind of puncture resistant tubes, or any way to augment the tire to reduce the odds of a puncture? I don't see myself going tubeless anytime soon but surely there's some improvements to be had on the tube side of the spectrum.

The only real tube options outside of traditional butyl tubes are latex tubes - which reduce rolling resistence but aren't really much more puncture resistant - and TPU tubes - which are made of a sort of plastic and can pack down tightly but may or may not be more puncture resistant depending on who you ask.

Personally, I stick with what I know and use the old fashioned tubes. They aren't puncture proof but they're cheaper than the alternatives and easy to patch.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

In some cases, a sharp bit can wedge into one of those cuts and slowly worm its way to the inside and threaten the tube. You can push out the carcass from the inside to try to expand the cut and see if there’s debris inside.
And anything that’s got daylight should be booted to protect the tube.

I get that sometimes with thorns. They work their way into the tire but don't poke out enough to be detected unless the tire is flexed just right.

Flexing the tire like you describe helps a lot. Feeling along the inside in addition to looking is great too. Some of the little tire gremlins that cause leaks like that can be tiny.

Also, getting into the habit on patching tires instead of always using new ones helped me to figure out if I'm getting a puncture in the same place which can indicate a hidden sharp bit in the tire.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I had a fall today and now for some reason my rear hydraulic brake is either 100% on or 100% off. A little squeeze is enough to lock up the brake and I need to pull the lever out manually even though the spring in the lever still feels like it's there.

Anyone seen something like this before or have an idea for how to debug it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

You might be able to use a dremel tool or a hacksaw to put a slot into the nub and use a screwdriver on it.

Edit: Responded to the wrong OP.