Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Havana Affair posted:

The brifters have a wrong cable pull for the brakes of your bike and won't work with them. It has Hayes MX-5s which need a V-brake lever and V-brake brifters don't really exist (except Gevenalles but I think they're silly). If you want to put brifters on that bike the easiest solution would be to also replace the brakes with something that uses a road pull. There's some mechanical Shimano ones at least that are okay and pretty cheap. Otherwise they should work though the front derailler on that bike is nominally an MTB one and the brifters might need a road one but this is really hard to say before hand.

Gevenelles own.

And Sensah makes some long pull brifters.

E:because I am a dingus.

Leroy Diplowski fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Havana Affair posted:

I was really confused by this but short pull = road pull which is what everyone makes. Do you mean they make a long pull brifter compatible with v brakes?

Yes I was so excited to say that gevenelles own that I typed short instead of long

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Havana Affair posted:

What's the model? I was trying to look it up but couldn't find it.

Its Not Microshift either, it's temu I think or some other off brand. E:They were Sensah shifters. A friend of mine did a drop conversion on my son's MTB a while ago. and I'm posting from memory and getting everything wrong. I'll check the exact model when I get home and post some pics to make up for it.

Leroy Diplowski fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 3, 2024

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Ok I did my homework here's the setup we went with:

The shifters are sensah ignite shifters and the brakes are Shimano m-495 (which according to Shimano are comparable with v-brake levers.)

I did some searching for the exact pull length from sensah and didn't see anything other than one inconclusive bikeforums post, but they appear to be pulling around 11mm on the bike right now and I'm pretty sure that's in the realm of what long pull should be pulling installed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Here's hoping this is helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
I built my first wheel this weekend. Shout-out to my local coop for use of a spoke tension meter and truing stand.

I chose the Shimano dynamo hub over the SP because it's rebuildable and a SON isn't in the budget.

Rim is velo orange voyager 26" and spokes are butted. Should be a beast.