Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008
My original TCR, hours before I destroyed it by running into the back of a parked car at around 30 kph, less than 10 km from home after a 200 km ride last Christmas Eve:

...and its replacement. Heavier and seemingly slower, but it's a size larger and fits me better:

...and my recently departed Propel. Damm fun bike, but I wasn't riding it much. Regret selling it, though:

I like Giants.
Apparently I like black Giants (and I posted this before I realised there's a movement against black bikes on this very page). :ohdear:
And I like riding to beaches.

Hoopy Frood fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

dema posted:

You know I've made worse financial mistakes.

On that note, here's a story in three parts:

Wifi Toilet posted:

Welp, apparently I'm in full on midlife crisis mode cuz I can't stop thinking about building a dumb fixie bike. I guess I can always stick it on the wall and call it art after never riding it?

Hoopy Frood posted:

I'm in exactly the same situation, but I want a Time Trial bike. We don't even have much of a time trial club scene over here, but I don't seem to be able to let it go.

I don't even know what they're like to ride, does anyone here use one?

Hoopy Frood posted:

Does the full aero position on a TT bike typically feel very sketchy at first and take some time to get used to when you first try it, or am I a big old dumb scaredy-cat doofus?

Or perhaps both?

I still have no need for this bike and no idea what I'm doing when I ride it, I had to wait 6 months for the right sized frame to arrive here in Australia, and I backed out of building it myself and got my local shop to build it for me, but here's my new Trinity:

Much better pics from my excellent bike shop here in Melbourne: https://www.instagram.com/p/CpjuTUnyxZa/

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

dema posted:

Sure looks fast! Imagine TT bikes are the most important to get fit on by someone knowledgeable. If you haven't already done that.

Thanks for suggesting that! The bike shop who agreed to build it up for me absolutely insisted on a bike fit, so I got that sorted early on. The very well respected fitter told me I had bought the wrong sized frame, the TCR I was currently riding on was also the wrong size, my crank length was too long, my handlebars are too wide, my saddle was about 2cm too high which meant my whole leg movement was incorrect, and oh yeah, one of my legs was a couple of centimetres longer than the other.

I walked out of there feeling like a complete idiot, but he was right on all points and I'm much more comfortable on my road bike now. The TT position still feels odd, but I think I'm slowly getting used to it.

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Was it a stack issue? Were you able to get the right frame?

I'm still not entirely sure what the issue was, and there was even some contention between the bike shop and the fitter about what my size should be.

I'm 178cm and according to Giant I'm right at the upper limit of a Small frame for a Trinity, but midway through the Medium frame size range (172-184cm). I originally found a good deal on a Medium frame only, so I had purchased that as a bit of an impulse buy in August last year as a motivational 50th birthday present for myself. All was good until the fitter recommended me for a Small size, and I was lucky enough to be able to exchange the frame through a separate bike store, but had to wait around 6 months for it to be delivered. Giant stock is very hard to get here in Australia at the moment.

The bike store had their doubts about the Small size recommendation when I exchanged it, but since the bike fitter is (or was, I'm not sure) the World 12 and 24 hour distance record holder on Giant Trinity frames, the bike store (and myself, who had no idea really) tended to trust his judgement. That's not intended as a humblebrag for me selecting an elite bike fitter by the way, he was recommended to me by my store and I originally had no idea who he was since he was very friendly and humble. I only found out about his achievements afterwards: https://www.shinbonemedical.com/intro

So yeah, overall it was a bit of an ordeal.

Hoopy Frood fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 11, 2023

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

Wifi Toilet posted:

Jesus, that post of mine you quoted was almost a year ago?!?

uh, I guess I can show you part of my bicycle

Is that an Apple Red Black Label frame? Very nice! And yeah, I was surprised at how long it's been as well.