Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Rockhopper conversion continues to own bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

dema posted:

I love it. Would have killed for that bike, with flat bars, in highschool. Actually, years later, a relative left a Rockhopper like that at my parents house and I swiped it for the summer to use as an around town bike. Eventually had to give it back. Sad.
Thanks! It was my main bike from 14 through like late 20's when I got into road bikes. It took me a lot of places/made a lot of memories so when it was time to get an allroad/gravel rig I couldn't pass up the conversion opportunity!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Fully sick. Give us a proper pic tho.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Old faithful: 2005 CAAD8, new to me since 2010.

Now that the Rockhopper conversion is 95% done, I think it's time to strip this down and give it a full once-over. New cables at the very least. Maybe new groupset now that I've fallen in love with DoubleTap.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Thanks for the interest! So my understanding after a bunch of reading is that to convert one of these 90's MTB frames you actually want a size smaller than you'd ride normally because of the hilariously long top tubes that were standard geometry for the era. My Rockhopper frame fit me when I was 14 (it is a '98) and it's a 19" or somewhere between M and L today (I ride a L in most modern MTB frames @ 6'1" with a 35.25 cycling inseam - all legs baby!) Because of the compact geo, you end up with really long seatposts to compensate. The stock post was a 350mm and to have it at the right height was about an inch outside of the minimum insert line. I picked up a 400mm Thompson (zero setback) but am going to put a 20mm setback post on it (Promax SP-1, which oddly appears to be the only non-Thompson 400mm+ setback post - I hate the Thompson "bend" for setback). I thought the zero setback would work, but because the front is lower now (non-suspension corrected solid fork) the seattube angle is effectively steeper, and I'm too over the center of balance which puts a lot of weight on my hands.

Here's a short summary post and a before/after comparison - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&noseen=1&postid=505919389#post505919389 I went with a 90mm stem and 46cm Salsa Cowbell bars vs the 110mm stem and 42cm compact drops on my road bike.

Kimbo - yeah I know I know. Veloce is great (and is even better cuz it's rebuildable, which I've already done on one brifter once without even removing it from the bike!) but I am really liking the "one lever for everything" of Sram. And since it's a made in USA CAAD it just feels right to have Sram on it. Insert "loving SRAM" gif here.

amenenema fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 3, 2020

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Mauser posted:

I am now convinced that my Rockhopper is a ~'93 after some googling.

I recently put back the stubby tires and I think I have no need for a third gravel bike, so it will stay this way or I'll get the road tires back on and use it for groceries. Not sure what I want to do with it, but I am never getting rid of it because it's too purple

Otherwise, I've just been using it to practice hopping and wheelies in the park

https://medium.com/@jamesacklin/specialized-rockhopper-enduro-allroad-prototype-bc575532d320

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Thanks!

So any reason why this wouldn't work as a carbon fork for it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26-Zoll-MT...353.m1438.l2649

26", 1 1/8, threadless, canti. Hard combo to find!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Re: Georgia gaps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2oEDdvvP7Y

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

amenenema fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 15, 2020

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

That rules, full stop.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Finishing tweaks done on the gravel bike including finally sourcing a period-correct color-matched front fork.

And put a full Force-22 groupset on the road bike (previously Campagnolo Veloce; found out I LOVE DoubleTap after putting Apex brifters on the Rockhopper).

7.9kg as shown

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

You're right that posture is basically the same (fit is within a half inch in every measure), it's really about how over the front you feel. The Rockhopper feels like you're sitting way back (despite the BB setback being identical between the two; probably the longer chainstays/wheelbase?) The CAAD position feels much more "on top of" the front axle.

The Rockhopper is super smooth and in some ways almost feels more effortless to move forward. I'm sure the CAAD is faster by some not insignificant margin, but it feels like you're doing work to make it happen. Suppleness of the Rene Herse tires sure helps a lot. The 25c Michelins measure to 28 and do feel plush, but plush by road bike standards. Yeah, you feel more for sure!

And no surprise the Rockhopper on the big ring feels more like the CAAD on the small ring. I honestly wish I could fit a compact crank on the Rockhopper but the chainstays are too wide. 42t is pretty close to the max.

amenenema fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 29, 2021

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Turns out the new gruppo is as good outside as it is on the trainer!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Wifi Toilet posted:

I built a thing!

The first bike I've built up from a bare frame. Threw it on my trainer and rode it for about 5 minutes before disaster struck: I noticed the American flag on the top tube isn't centered.

I'm going to be starting at this dumb decal for hours of my life and it's going to bother me every time!!

Sup 2005 CAAD8 buddy!

amenenema fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 28, 2021

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I have 7 Specialized Power saddles in 143mm because of how good they are for my rear end.

This is me with Fizik Antares Versus Evo in the 149 wider size.

To get there I went through multiple saddles. Just exchanged/returned until I found the magic perch.

My process was to find the shape/profile that generally worked for me (flat vs curved from nose to tail and side to side) and then moved to cutout/no cutout, and then width. For me width is the least impactful factor for comfort, but profile and cutout style were critical.

Had a Selle Italia Flite (new style, not the retro one) for years and it was always "okay". Used that for the shape/profile reference, then tried it with a cutout (cutout shape was wrong), then a Prologo Dimension (shape was off and I don't care for the short nose trend cuz I like to move around) then the Fizik but in the regular width, then the wide one.

For me, I knew immediately when I found the right one. Don't settle for something that's "okay". Good luck!!!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I’ve been building this Stumpy over the winter from a frame I found for $63. I didn’t really have any particular idea (or need) for it, mostly using parts bin components or buying cheap stuff when it pops on an eBay saved search. Sort of an organic growth. I guess right now it would be best used for light MTB trails or gravel. There’s zero mounting points on the frame so any sort of bikepacking will have to use bags, but the fork has no shortage of mounts for a front rack with low rider pannier or something.

The Sensah groupset has been fine so far on the stand but I’d want to beat on it hard locally before taking it out anywhere away from home. It essentially operates like a SRAM doubletap shifter except the entire brake lever moves, there’s no separate shift paddle. There is a lockout mechanism that is supposed to prevent the shifter from actuating when braking but if you yank on it you can bypass it. The RD is awfully close to the ground on 26” wheels so definitely a bike to have a spare hanger or two.

Frame: 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Comp
Fork: Surly Troll, this has the right ATC to compensate for the Judy XC fork that originally came with the bike
Brifters: Sensah SRX Pro
Crank: Raceface 38t
RD/Cassette: Sensah SRX Pro, 11-50
F Brake: TRP Hy/Rd
R Brake: Avid Shorty Ultimate
Tires: Schwalbe Rapid Rob
Misc: FSA headset, RaceFace seatpost, some Bontrager saddle, Oval brand handlebar, Supacaz tape and cages

Hoping to cut the half mile of steerer this weekend and can dial in the fit a bit more. Hard to get into a good position with that steerer tube in the way.

Obviously I love this; my take:

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

+

=

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

eeenmachine posted:

I’m a rich dentist but I also enjoy stretching group rides by riding to/from. I can use the assist to/from and not at all/sparingly on the group ride (bike is only 28lbs).

And to be an even bigger rich rear end in a top hat I bought two identical bikes and am gifting one to my longtime neighbor and riding partner who is in his 70s and has been riding forever but never owned a new bike.

You rule gently caress the haters

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Bud Manstrong posted:

don’t pull the thang out
unless you plan to bang

HAHAHA nice

BEAUTIFUL bike

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Springtime bike roundup:

Fat

SS

Wife/my commuters

"Gravel bikes are just 90's MTBs"

Wife's gravel

My gravel

Road

I think now I just need a XC/downcountry rig...

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Found where the trail ends

But at least there was some spiritual motivation

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Slavvy posted:

The only remnants of the old bike are the ...tyres...

Uhhhhh

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

The Fool posted:

hello I have a new bike

This is very good but see below your post for proper bike photo setup. Drivetrain side out is top priority.

Step your game up over even jamal's by lining up cranks w downtube and shifting to the smallest rear cog.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk

amenenema fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 13, 2023

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

cruft posted:

Oh, I did mine wrong, didn't I.

Hahaha I'm pretty sure a folding bike exemption exists. If it doesn't, it sure should!

Slavvy posted:

Imo smallest cog+ biggest chain wheel is right for road bike gears but if you've got 1x it's more pleasing to be in the middle of the cassette so the chain line is perfectly level

img-Scruffy-I'll-allow-it-/img

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Tigren posted:

gently caress this dude. Bikes should be photographed in their natural habitat, not stuffed and on display like it’s in a museum diorama.

Gravel bike on its side in the dirt is primo. Beautiful bike.

Ouch

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

The Fool posted:

I took a new one today

:discourse:

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

I heard a bikefitter on YouTube speculate that ovals are best for heel droppers due to the exaggeration of the "dead spot" it causes. Hence Froome running them.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

Had a nice ride out to the airport today.

The Force22 on that is sweet. Also the rest of it is sweet. And are you like 6'6"?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Thanks! Yeah the Force22 goes really well with the frame and is very nice to use too.

I'm more like 6'3" with long arms and legs.

I also put F22 on an older bike, but not as old as yours...

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Oh that's a sweet bike! Those older Cannondales have such classic lines.

Awww, thanks. I love a horizontal top tube ;D

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Sphyre posted:

it's that day we all know and love, new bike day

Fully sick!!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Fully sick

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Also fully sick.

I want to see more rim brake+electronic drivetrain builds.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

After years of being a curmudgeon ("no electronic shifting!" "rim brakes are fine!" he yelled at the sky) I finally went all-in on modern everything:

It rules. Don't be like me kids; embrace that new poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

hot bike poo poo right here

whats the max tire that can take?

Thanks! Max listed is a 45 but I've got 48s on it now. If I rode in mud it might be a problem but in the dry there's enough room that I'm not worried. The closest spot is the seat stay and there's ~7mm of clearance on either side.