Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Don't tell me what to do you aren't my bike dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
You know it's time to replace the chain on your winter bike when it just falls off.

Unfortunately being a winter bike you almost always have to do the cassette at the same time.

Yesterday I went on a slow roll and found a shrine to tacky lawn and deck ornaments.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
LMAO the position of your cranks makes it almost looks like your bike went 'Ima pose for a portrait' and you snapped the photo right as it did the bike equivalent of the classic legs off the ground land in a heap ice flip.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Barrel Of Bicycles looks a lot harder than Barrel of Monkeys.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
With something like that you could even run a narrower range cassette with less of a gap between gears. It'd be revolutionary!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
This fall has been extra pretty.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
So much ice. So much fun.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

How do you like those Axiom panniers? A few on eBay for $85 for the set of the p55+. I don’t need them but I showed a few friends.

They suck but they're cheap

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sorry I only had time to bang out a super quick response.

The main clips aren't very strong and the 'locking' clip is flimsy and easy to break. I ended up fixing one by making a new one with a broken spoke.

Broken spokes, is there nothing they can't do? :allears: hold a wheel together, that's what

I'd never use em for touring or put something expensive like a laptop or camera in it. I do endorse em for general "I need to carry my crap to work" use because they're light and cheap.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
"Let me play you the song of my people"

*wedges small stone between tire and fender*

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I almost didn't bother making that extension to bring my fender closer to the wheel when I got the new fork. "Three inches of clearance? gently caress yes!"

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Went for a ride, stopped to get tomorrow's dinner.

Tonight's dinner is duck. We got that on Sunday but I didn't use a bike.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh my god.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Bday gift.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
New kicks. Time to get a bit more techy on the fat bike.

I'm still gonna be bad and slow.

Tried them all week on flat pedals. The stiffer sole and lack of laces potentially getting caught in the crank is real nice.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 18, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
45nrth Wolvhammer BOA. They normally retail for $400 Canadian but I didn't pay nearly that much. I'm hoping that the covid bike boom turns into a huge crop of new riders that want gear like this. It'd maybe open up the market and drive prices down and make it more accessible to everyone.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Wear thin socks. They’re so insanely warm.

Are you thinking of the Wolfgars that are meant for much colder temperatures? I would have bought them if they didn't fit me horribly. The Wolvhammers are known for not being super warm. I actually put the insulated insoles from my hunting waders in em for a little more warmth and went a size up so I could put 2 layers of socks for when I go ride in stupid cold temperatures.

I wish my phone hadn't died when I pulled it out to take a pic of my bike. Whatever, ride successful and clipless fatbiking is awesome.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 19, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Went and rode the hard water today. Almost made it on to Lake Winnipeg but the ice at the mouth sketched me out so I turned back before I ended up taking a swim in the middle of nowhere.

Put the flats back on and ditched the dropper. No reason for those today and I kinda want my Baffin boots for middle of nowhere ice riding.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
For real.

Also throw out your helmet and buy a new one. When it comes to crashing and hitting your head they're all one and done.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Riding a bike with studded tires on glare ice is kinda like driving an early 911. It's super fun as long as you remember to slow down before turning in.

Don't and you become a great example of some of the more interesting properties of physics.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey look it's the wheels that come on a Lochside bike.

My wife bought me some dope socks for xmas but they're stuck in the mail so she drew me a picture of them to put in my stocking.

Sick.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 25, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

From here.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's a 4.5" tire next to that paw print.

I don't think that's a coyote :ohdear:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Drop bars beefy tires and the dork disc removed at the factory. This is gonna be a neat bike.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ran into someone riding a hand built titanium MTB with a one of a kind suspension fork based off of something he saw on a motorcycle or something. It was wild.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
He built it by hand. Has a parent on the fork, too.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

It's a coaster brake lever! :dadjoke:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sometimes. When I'm at the computer with a dozen Excel sheets open doing vlookups and doing inventory and ordering for our new POS and website I sometimes wonder if I should have kept my old job where I was paid more and had better health benefits, and the chair was more ergonomic.

Then I look down at my grungy runners and t-shirt from some race which is way more comfy than business casual, look at the clock and realize it's closing time. I go to the back to grab a beer from the fridge and crank the tunes even louder while I do the count and lube up my chain and go 'eh, I didn't really need that money anyways.'

But xc ski season cometh and ugh then it really just feels like a lovely retail job for a quarter.

Anyways. Fall is p much the best.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

compressioncut posted:

I picked up something pretty stupid - a very gnarly hardtail. Marin El Roy (63* head angle, 78* seat tube angle, low bottom bracket and almost 1300mm wheelbase):

I haven't really ridden it yet outside of some neighborhood rock crawling. I've added Cushcore, saddle, grips. Some OneUp carbon bars (my favorite) and an oval chainring are on the way.

M y impressions were based on limited information; hopping on and off curbs and stuff outside the shop on a test ride, but the El Roy gave me a 'put your faith in the fork and hold on for dear life' vibe. It's so hilariously slack. Long bike is loooooong.

I'd definitely want a dropper on it with as much travel as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
You could fix that problem with Ice Spikers or a fatbike, depending on your regions severity of winter.