Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Sphyre posted:

it's that day we all know and love, new bike day

I must know what tires those are.

And hell yeah nice ride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

I've been getting back into it after breaking my collarbone before Christmas. I've been on a few rides but hit some hills today and man I am still very unfit. It was nice though.

Broken collarbone buddy :hfive:

I'm on week 6. Any advice for getting back to riding? Or is it just a waiting and PT game?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mostly a waiting game, my break was super clean but I still didn't do any riding until week 8 because it still hurt a bit and you're way more likely to re-break it if you fall again too soon.
I mainly just yeah went hard on the physio, kept up with my back exercises, and then started out with short rides with lots of stretching before and after. It gets better! It's nearly 3 months now and I have some pain still after a a ride or doing too much gardening or whatever but I'm also 40 so everything hurts anyway but I can ride my bike again which makes me so happy:)

I'm almost 40 too so yeah everything kinda hurts anyway but good to know PT helps. My break was also very clean, I almost didn't go to the doctor because it didn't hurt that bad.

Last time I crashed (dipshit cut a blind corner on a trail and we collided head on) I fractured my scapula and I didn't trust that shoulder for months, so I'm guessing this will be similar.

The weather here is hinting that spring is coming so it's going to get harder and harder to abstain from riding soon.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ouch that sounds terrible, would you say worse than collarbone or about the same?

Much, much worse. I almost didn't go to the doctor for the collarbone, I almost passed out at the scene with the scapula.

Luckily a very nice passerby saw what happened and stayed with me and the dumbass who I collided with until we were both in good enough shape to walk away.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

How long was the recovery?

I think it was about 8-10 weeks before I tried riding again. It didn't stop aching for awhile after that but the doctor and PT were encouraging me to ramp into loading that arm with more than just daily tasks. It was another 3-4 months before it felt normal strength, but even now after ~20 months it gets aggravated more easily.

With the collarbone now I think I need to get a full on shoulder strengthening routine once the bone is healed.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Glad you stuck to just breaking bones, TBIs are no joke.

And glad MAMIL Jr didn't get too traumatized.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

bicievino posted:

Failing infrastructure sucks!

Yep Seattle residency confirmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

amenenema posted:

After years of being a curmudgeon ("no electronic shifting!" "rim brakes are fine!" he yelled at the sky) I finally went all-in on modern everything:

It rules. Don't be like me kids; embrace that new poo poo.

Its so... clean. No wires or cables or nothin'

I love that 1x drivetrains are making their way to road bikes. I hate tuning FDs and then trying to explain how to use them to inexperienced riders.