Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

poo poo, got me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

if you pedal your dh to the trails maybe. some lunatics pedal dhs

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

drat was hoping that the solution wasn’t to spend more money

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I get the sentiment, but it’s the best seventy bucks I ever spent on a bike.

If you aren’t using a dropper, don’t pedal with the seat low for extended periods of time. You won’t get good at it. You’ll just gently caress up your joints. Keep an Allen key handy and lower the seat for long, tricky descents. What you can get better at is working with the handicap of a high seat in more moderate terrain.

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007

Bouillon Rube posted:

i have some gnarly decision paralysis with some of this stuff, like i took months to buy new knee pads because i couldnt decide which ones to get. When droppers were pretty new, i thought it was pretty stupid, like no one needs that poo poo. Then i demo'ed a bike with a dropper and went home and bought myself one right then and there. Theyre very cheap and reliable these days, theres no reason to have a mountain bike without one. (you wouldnt need one on a dh bike or a dj)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Bouillon Rube posted:

wrong hobby

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
A dropper is more important than suspension.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Depends heavily on the riding you do. As previously mentioned, if you don’t have a dropper you can always just manually drop the seat for a gnarly section. There’s no way of doing the same for suspension. I think for XC riding most people would much prefer suspension over dropper.

I’d rank order of importance as:

Front sus > dropper > rear sus

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Until I went with a single front chainring, I couldn't stand the dropper I had. Once I got a new bike and freed up space on the bars it was like a light switched on. Now I love my dropper and use it all the time, even to make it a little easier to mount/dismount.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

You can always go old school and get a HiteRite

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183231146016?var=691960858239

this explains installation and usage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o27f6Qsl2Gs

A dropper is really a ride changer and helps so much. Best thing I got for my bike.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Weather turned warmer. Was hoping to get absolutely dialed in on so,emsingletrack today. The local MTB community has a website of the trail conditions and they are all “red” for you shouldn’t use them due to mud. Fail

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Sounds like my local website ( tarheeltrailblazers.com ). It's really awesome, except after getting a couple inches of rain. Then it's pressing f5 over and over when the weather clears.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
There is two that are yellow and I will scope them out

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

Just arrived to this park for the first time . There’s no one here it is actually colder than I thought . Looks to be some interesting wood featuress. Arrived in full gear, including full face helmet, POC pants,, Alpinestars padded shirt and shorts, elbow and knee pads. . Will be using my GoPro as well. Not the coolest nor best biker, Just hoping to give others the inner confidence they need to pursue what they want, and stand up to bullies 💯.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

It was actually muddy to beat the band and packed big wads of claylike mud all over the rear linkages and chainring. I got as much as I could off by slamming the bike on the ground basically. I’m thinking to put the bike in the basement and let the rest dry and sort of chip it off in chunks. I think trying to remove it now will just smear it and compact it deeper into critical moving parts. Any hot tips ? I Havnt any access to a garden hose atm.

As to the park it was advertised as good for all skill levels. I only basically found a very flat green trail. Of which I was riding in full gear and GoPro chest rig to inspire confidence in others. Keep it 💯

Maudib Arakkis fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 10, 2024

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Finally got the MTB out today after only riding the gravel bike for the last 2 months due to mud/snow. I forgot what rolling resistance and not having to worry about toe overlap felt like.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Maudib Arakkis posted:

It was actually muddy to beat the band and packed big wads of claylike mud all over the rear linkages and chainring. I got as much as I could off by slamming the bike on the ground basically. I’m thinking to put the bike in the basement and let the rest dry and sort of chip it off in chunks. I think trying to remove it now will just smear it and compact it deeper into critical moving parts. Any hot tips ? I Havnt any access to a garden hose atm.

As to the park it was advertised as good for all skill levels. I only basically found a very flat green trail. Of which I was riding in full gear and GoPro chest rig to inspire confidence in others. Keep it 💯

I've had good luck with a hand pump garden sprayer. It goes pretty slowly but you can do almost as good a job as with the hose.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Just arrived to this park for the first time . There’s no one here it is actually colder than I thought . Looks to be some interesting wood featuress. Arrived in full gear, including full face helmet, POC pants,, Alpinestars padded shirt and shorts, elbow and knee pads. . Will be using my GoPro as well. Not the coolest nor best biker, Just hoping to give others the inner confidence they need to pursue what they want, and stand up to bullies 💯.

Bullies?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The velominati and their sock rules

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

Bullies,, trolls, haters, and those who make fun of others to make them self feel big.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

first time running into this guy huh

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

mud to beat the band

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Went to Sedona mtb fest and it was fukken rad. Hit six trails on six bikes over three days. Figured out what my next ride will be and took some cool scars back home.

Bikessss 🚲

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I elbow-dropped the Earth.

I’m fine, but someone should check on the Earth.

Kidding. It occurs to me that this is how people gently caress up their shoulders. I am thankful that mine seems to be all right.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Platystemon posted:

I elbow-dropped the Earth.

I’m fine, but someone should check on the Earth.

Kidding. It occurs to me that this is how people gently caress up their shoulders. I am thankful that mine seems to be all right.

I did the same. Went a little low into a berm, front washed out in some loose stuff. Pete Rose slid down the trail. Some road rash on my elbow and arm and some bruised ribs but all good. Thankfully I was wearing my full face or I'd have probably drug my face on the ground. Could have been a lot worse.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I just started riding again. My current bike is a 20 year old 60 dollar NEXT from Walmart that was sitting in my buddies parents garage for 17 years before he gave it to me and I made it function. I ride around a hilly neighborhood, some easy dirt trails in the forest, and a gravel flat canal path. Would some 100 dollar bike from amazon be a decent replacement for my needs or should I avoid it at all costs?

Comedy option: I keep shot gunning parts at my current bike until its been completely replaced.

I was thinking something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Ktaxon-Mount...4721&th=1&psc=1

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Don’t buy a new hundred‐dollar bike.

Four hundred dollars is about what it takes to get a new bike that is outdated in features but isn’t going to kill you.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 20, 2024

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Just curious, what makes the cheap bikes so dangerous? Certainly can't be worse than what I have I would hope.. unless quality has really really took a nose dive.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Polish posted:

I just started riding again. My current bike is a 20 year old 60 dollar NEXT from Walmart that was sitting in my buddies parents garage for 17 years before he gave it to me and I made it function. I ride around a hilly neighborhood, some easy dirt trails in the forest, and a gravel flat canal path. Would some 100 dollar bike from amazon be a decent replacement for my needs or should I avoid it at all costs?

Comedy option: I keep shot gunning parts at my current bike until its been completely replaced.

Where are you located and what’s the budget? A $100 new bike is not going to bring you enjoyment because it’ll barely function and you’ll be frustrated at the amount of time you spend getting it to work somewhat decently.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Polish posted:

Bikes are overproduced right now. I bet your local shops have some entry level hard trails for under $500. With modern geo, disk brakes, gears that shift, etc.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Where are you located and what’s the budget? A $100 new bike is not going to bring you enjoyment because it’ll barely function and you’ll be frustrated at the amount of time you spend getting it to work somewhat decently.

South Eastern PA. Im really not going to be taking it on any rough terrain, at most some dirt trails in the woods where the most abuse it might see is hopping a downed log. Mostly using it for some exercise on paved neighborhood roads a couple times a week. My requirements really are two wheels and some gear shifting, and some shocks would be preferred. I didn't really want to go above 200 in case I get lazy or bored and this hobby doesn't stick.. but if everything down in that range is complete garbage or worse, unsafe, then I'll start looking at more spendy options.

What I have now functions okay enough for me.. the deraileur could use replacement and get me by, but the whole thing should just be trashed. It was 60 bucks new...20 years ago so it has well paid for itself. I could scour FB marketplace for something a bit better used, but I'm not all that knowledgeable in the bike realm, so I have no idea what's decent or not.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

spwrozek posted:

Bikes are overproduced right now. I bet your local shops have some entry level hard trails for under $500. With modern geo, disk brakes, gears that shift, etc.

I just checked a few local shops websites around here, and most of their inventory is way way over what I wanted to spend at the moment.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

If I was you, I'd go look for something used. Craigslist/marketplace can work but if you have a bike co-op nearby that is a good option because they will tune up the bike. Bikes depreciate pretty quickly, less-so on the low-end. A $1k or $1.5k bike from 2019 might be $200-500 now.

A new $200 bike might be better than what you have, if what you have is an old $100 bike. But, generally these "department store" bikes have substandard everything, sometimes dangerously so; assembled by people that don't know what they are doing, sometimes dangerously so. Fixing the issues can be expensive, like the bike in the video below has terrible brakes. Swapping on hydraulic brakes is going to be maybe $100 (and I think that is probably optimistic) so you don't end up saving much money over the lowest tier of non-department-store bikes if you fix it up. A downside to the cheapest bikes is that they generally use old designs, old standards, old everything, which can mean you are limited in upgrade potential.

This video is some accomplished riders playing around with a $250 bike. 6:30 for the 'verdict'. Honestly, it does better than I expected. Semi-functional but it isn't the path to getting excited about biking, it's just going to be frustrating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvZjxdQH-uQ

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Polish posted:

South Eastern PA. Im really not going to be taking it on any rough terrain, at most some dirt trails in the woods where the most abuse it might see is hopping a downed log. Mostly using it for some exercise on paved neighborhood roads a couple times a week. My requirements really are two wheels and some gear shifting, and some shocks would be preferred. I didn't really want to go above 200 in case I get lazy or bored and this hobby doesn't stick.. but if everything down in that range is complete garbage or worse, unsafe, then I'll start looking at more spendy options.

What I have now functions okay enough for me.. the deraileur could use replacement and get me by, but the whole thing should just be trashed. It was 60 bucks new...20 years ago so it has well paid for itself. I could scour FB marketplace for something a bit better used, but I'm not all that knowledgeable in the bike realm, so I have no idea what's decent or not.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/d/elkins-park-road-hybrid-commuter-medium/7729064893.html

You don't want suspension for your purposes. At that price point all it will do is make the bike heavier and less efficient.

Find yourself a hybrid of some description from a not ALLCAPS Amazon brand and make the first upgrade a nice supple set of wider tires. Faster and more comfortable.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Thanks for everyone's help. I realize now that I don't know poo poo about bikes haha.. I was sticker shocked looking at bikes which led me to the amazon ones considering I have the equivalent of that now. Gonna try to visit the local shop this weekend and see what they have.

If you guys want a laugh heres what I have:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Polish posted:

I found this deal on a Mongoose Colton on Reddit, three hundred dollars inclusive of shipping on large frame size, forty bucks more if your fit is a medium.

It’s going to be heavy, the fork won’t be very responsive and isn’t adjustable to your weight, the gear range is limited, the mechanical disc brakes are likely awful, and it’s got various old features limiting upgrades (freewheel, quick release axles, probably a straight steerer tube, 650B wheels), but it will be rideable.

For four hundred dollars, Wal‐Mart has the Ozark Trail Ridge. These are often assembled incorrectly and dangerously in the store, but if you can get a twenty‐year‐old bike rolling, you’re probably all right there. I will say that one thing that it’s easy to do wrong and to overlook is preloading the headset. The OTR frame is good, with cheap components. This makes it more upgradeable but probably worse to ride as‐is than the Mongoose.

Polish posted:

I just checked a few local shops websites around here, and most of their inventory is way way over what I wanted to spend at the moment.

In name‐brand territory, the Marin Bobcat Trail 4 is on sale for five seventy at the moment. You should be able to get comparable deals from a brick & mortar shop.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Polish posted:

Thanks for everyone's help. I realize now that I don't know poo poo about bikes haha.. I was sticker shocked looking at bikes which led me to the amazon ones considering I have the equivalent of that now. Gonna try to visit the local shop this weekend and see what they have.

If you guys want a laugh heres what I have:

OK, you have a bike you enjoy and it gets you out in the world doing cool poo poo in the woods. Sounds like a great bike to me, shouldn't piss on that.

Why do you want to change/upgrade, what's niggling you about the current bike?

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Shifting is very rough, sometimes not shifting at all until I cycle through the gears a few times. Front rubber on the shocks is torn. The whole thing squeaks and clicks like hell. The frame is not straight. Lots of rust. It does what I need it to do, and I could fix some of the issues, but its that classic dump money/time in to it or just get a new one kinda deal. Like I said I just started riding again for some exercise and the goal is to use it 2-3 times a week 30-60 minutes a day.. more if possible but trying to be realistic.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Polish posted:

Shifting is very rough, sometimes not shifting at all until I cycle through the gears a few times. Front rubber on the shocks is torn. The whole thing squeaks and clicks like hell. The frame is not straight. Lots of rust. It does what I need it to do, and I could fix some of the issues, but its that classic dump money/time in to it or just get a new one kinda deal. Like I said I just started riding again for some exercise and the goal is to use it 2-3 times a week 30-60 minutes a day.. more if possible but trying to be realistic.

Do not put a single dollar into that bike. Save up 200+ and get a more modern/non-department store bike on your local classifieds of choice. We are happy to help you look!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

amenenema posted:

Do not put a single dollar into that bike. Save up 200+ and get a more modern/non-department store bike on your local classifieds of choice. We are happy to help you look!

This, and in case no one has mentioned it yet look for local bike co-ops, they specialize in this exact kinda thing. You can also call local bike shops and ask if they have used inventory, give them your budget, etc.