Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

quote:

It's hella fun to ride even though I'm bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

New bike day.

First time I've built a bike from the frame up. One could say I learned a lot about how bikes work.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

vikingstrike posted:

Nice job! What shock is that?

Suntour Tri-Air. Cousin (sibling?) of the DVO Topaz.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 13, 2020

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Nice!

Im waiting on a new frame for my bikes direct bike that has a super goofy frame. Looking forward to having a modern geometry frame that won’t kick me over even when I feel like my butt is over the rear tire.

Where did you source parts from?

All over the place. Almost everything I got on sale or second hand.

I used PB buy and sell for a lot of things. I got the suspension from Suntour as they had a sale on at the time and the rest mostly from Jenson or direct on sale from manufactures. Whole thing was about $2600 US.

Oh, and I know about going to modern geo. I need to take a side-by-side photo but the bike it replaced was a 1996 XC hardtail. It amazes me how much more capable this thing is going down. I go too slow because I'm used to not being able to monster truck through things like I can now.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 14, 2020

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Levitate posted:

Ugh I need skills

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Bud Manstrong posted:

I got a new bike

It’s good.

From everything I've heard it is.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

First snow ride of the season yesterday. :black101:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I have a very sensible reason for running 2.6 tires: they're what I found on sale when building the bike. :v:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Spime Wrangler posted:

RIP Bike Mag: https://www.adventure-journal.com/2020/10/bike-powder-snowboarder-and-surfer-magazines-shut-down/

Have some friends that got their start there and I got to work with their Bible of Bikes crew once, they were top notch all around. Now they're off to join dirt rag at the great printing press in the sky.

I feel bad for the people that work there.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The answer is always more Slickoleum

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm glad the thread title reflects how I feel.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I run full SLX with an XT shifter and I prefer it over my experiences with GX.

e: if I had the choice I'd definitely go SLX with an XT shifter if it meant better wheels vs XT.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It all depends on your budget but looking at Ibis' site if *I* were buying a Ripmo I'd buy the full Deore with carbon wheels since it's the same price as full SLX with alloy rims and I'd just plunk on an XT shifter and call it good.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

SLX + XT shifter is the dogs bollocks. If you want to save more money then go full Deore with XT shifter, the only downside is little more weight but you have that savings for carbon wheels.

I'd much rather have a heavier cassette and lose rotational weight in the rims.

e: Something else that just occurred to me after my last post is what brakes they're offering. Are they XT 4-pistons?

If I were min-maxing with my own money I would run Deore + XT shifter with the carbon wheels and take the money savings from Deore vs SLX to run the biggest brakes and rotors I could.

The benefits of carbon rims and bigger brakes way outweighs the differences between XT and Deore, let alone SLX and Deore. As already said, the only bit of XT that's worth spending for is the shifter.

ee: on my own bike I went full SLX with XT shifter (Deore hadn't been released yet) and used the money savings to get a set of Zee boat anchors with 203mm rotors.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 26, 2021

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Is this good dog's bollocks or bad dogs bollocks?

Also agree to make sure they're 4 pistons and getting into Zees might be worth it.

Also I'm assuming it goes Deore -> SLX -> XT but tbh shumano's ranging confuses the poo poo out of me because deore is in half of their groupos full names

If something is the Dog's bollocks it means it's good. Dogs are always licking their bollocks so they must be good.

Yes, it goes Deore - SLX - XT - XTR on the MTB side of things.

Partial Octopus posted:

Thanks for all the help. Ended up going with slx + xt shifters. Got it somewhere close to my budget... Well enough to make it work.

Does anyone here have one? I'm a bit torn on sizing. They had a M AF that I rode around the parking lot of the place. It felt good standing up but felt a little cramped seatrd due to the super steep seat post. I felt like I was very upright while pedaling. I think I should probably size up and the bike shop employee agreed, but I'd like a second opinion. They didn't have a L in stock so I didn't get to try one.
I'm 5'9 with a 30" inseam. All torso and arms. Short legs. My current bike is a '17 canyon spectral in M and it fits well.

I haven't ridden the latest generation Ibis models so I don't know if it would still be the case but when I last demoed them two years ago I found they ran small and I went up a size. This might not be the case with the newer models but I haven't had the chance to ride one to find out.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 26, 2021

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

29+ 4 lyfe :colbert:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Put up a slew of hooks to organize the garage today.

From left to right: hers, hers, hers, mine. :smith:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

pinarello dogman posted:

Nice Banshee! I just built up a Spitfire V3.

I look forward to one day building up a V3 something. They're not light but they're drat solid bikes.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Post your crushed rims later.

If you think of the difference in power between a 160mm rotor and a 200mm rotor imagine going to a 660mm rotor.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I would personally aim for the basic Trance over a Stance.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Boogalo posted:

:rip: friend's rear mech

:kstare:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Aphex- posted:

New bike day!!

Geometron G1, EXT Storia shock 175mm travel, Formula Selva R forks 170mm travel. Going downhill has never felt so good.

:dong:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

spwrozek posted:

The real question is did any of you watch the launch video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLClDXGzC2c

I like Commencal's response

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Aphex- posted:

Did my first Enduro yesterday, had a load of fun and I didn't come last so that's a win for me!

:respek:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

bicievino posted:

I did a mtb race today.
It was awful. 38 miles, 7700' of elevation.
Oh and it was 100 degrees and started at 4500' and went straight up.

I need to go to a bike park to remember that MTB can be fun.

:mrwhite:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Pro: I want to go riding.

Con: It's a loving heatwave all week. :(

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I don't remember what xt were like but I have Zee's and they are fine boat anchors.

I'll always take the weight penalty to use DH brakes. The power and fade resistance are too good.

As Pinarello said I don't think you can really ever have too much brake. My next build I plan on trying the Dominion A4s.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

n8r posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a nice set of cranks that would be an upgrade from my boat anchor deore cranks? I’d like something with lots of cross compatibility so I can take them with me to future bikes. Maybe carbon?

eewings?

:haw:

do you have a spindle diameter you want to stick to or is any good?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

What's the worst that could happen? Go race and give it a go.

Also, while I like the idea of a silent pair of hubs I do worry about the risk of surprising a bear at speed.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Steak posted:

I swear there is no feeling like when you're trying a trail for the first time and you realize just how little you actually know and how poor your fitness actually is.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

i flunked out posted:

Actually makes me think, could you use a shimano hg+ cassette and chain and an axs derailleur? You would also need the front chainring to be hg+, right? I wouldn't mind that if you could still get the hg+ smoothness and the wireless actuation/cockpit

Yes, you can.

In fact, I plan to do such a thing next time I build a bike.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

[TELL] me about that fork

You didn't get the message?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Went to Panorama yesterday for closing day at the bike park. I got my rear end kicked but it was hella fun.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

always give your nuts a regular cranking

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

That's a gruesome bike stand

or a very Halloween-themed one.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

Been riding with a guy who has a 29r and watching him roll over obstacles I’m dodging has me aching for a 29r.

Get ahead of the curve and go straight for the 36'er

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, I've been curious ever since someone linked this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7sKhKi9Bcc

Actual physicist Seb Stott explains: Why Shorter Cranks Are Better (According To Science)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mr Newsman posted:

Does anyone have opinions on swing out hitch arms for bike racks? e.g. Kuat Pivot, RakAttach or whatever Thule/Yakima offer.

I've got a 1up double and in like 10 years I'll have to install my two add-ons for the kids.

Since I've got car seats in the back, the dog has to stay in the cargo space and tilting the bikes (or even the empty rack) out of the way so I can get the dog out is annoying enough that I think I want to be able to swing it.

I'm space limited in the apartment and no garage so leaving the rack attached in the summer makes it way easier to load the bikes and go.

If you're carrying more than 2 bikes you might want to also look at vertical racks.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

not sure if it's been mentioned but over at Hayes they're having a pretty stonkin' sale on all their brands if you're looking for parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

I think maybe I'm getting it wrong when I said TRP, what's the Italian brand with the long named brakes?

the only italian brand i can think of is Formula, and I don't think 'Cura' is a long name.

you're probably thinking of zee germans at Trickstuff