Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

I'm going to WV in a few weeks and planning to hit Snowshoe's bike park. This will be my first time on a true downhill course as I ride XC in and around Patapsco State Park and Bacon Ridge in MD. What am I getting myself into here?

Oh I guess I should state that my ride is a Scott Spark 720+ which is 130mm up front and 120mm in the rear with a 67 degree headtube angle. I'd prefer to use it but renting is also acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

spwrozek posted:

Start on some green/blues and work your way up. Knee pads and elbow pads are a good idea. A full face helmet just depends on how rowdy you are going to get. I find that most blue and even black trails at bike parks are not really any harder than other trails not at the bike park (at least I feel this is true in CO) where I just wear a regular helmet.

I think your bike will be fine for your first time. I ride my Trek Fuel at the parks here which is 130/130. Renting a bike might be fun but I would probably just ride what you got, figure out the bike park, and rent next time.

Thanks dude, that's a big confidence boost. YouTube stalking confirms that the blues look very doable.

I will definitely report back to the group on my experience.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

spwrozek posted:

Start on some green/blues and work your way up. Knee pads and elbow pads are a good idea. A full face helmet just depends on how rowdy you are going to get. I find that most blue and even black trails at bike parks are not really any harder than other trails not at the bike park (at least I feel this is true in CO) where I just wear a regular helmet.

I think your bike will be fine for your first time. I ride my Trek Fuel at the parks here which is 130/130. Renting a bike might be fun but I would probably just ride what you got, figure out the bike park, and rent next time.

Checking in to report that all went well on baby's first park day. It will not be the last. The bike performed flawlessly and a good time was had by all. By far my favorite trail of the day was Skyline on the western side of the park. It's a flow and jump trail. The first time down I just ran all the jumps like tabletops to see what was what. The second time I started actually hitting jumps and the third time I hit as many as I could.

Here's video from the 2nd run, please pardon the blurriness as it is an older Session:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZz7E8FOlpQ&t=2s

This was the only injury of the day:

It was due to wearing the wrong gloves and the fork being too low which put too much of my weight over the front fork.

And this pic is just too pretty not to post:

New River Gorge, Glade Creek camping area, West Virginia

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

VacaGrande posted:

I love those trucks! Nice. There are some fun trails up on the Fayetteville side of the Gorge next to Arrowhead Bike Farm, which is a cool and good place with camping and a little restaurant. I've heard there are very good trails at the Boy Scout camp nearby but they weren't open to the public when I was there.

Thanks! We were super pleased with how well our vehicles and load outs performed as this was the first time we tried ‘overlanding’ in the proper sense of the word which is to say drive > camp overnight > drive > camp, etc as opposed to stay in one place.

I have the Bike Farm bookmarked for future reference.

To get back to biking the downhill bug has definitely bitten. Since coming back I ordered a new handlebar with some rise and will be replacing the brake pads that I thrashed last weekend (they were kinda due before and now they are *really* due). I’m also hoping to get to Bryce Mountain before the MTB season ends as I hear that they have more progressive features so I can learn how to tackle drops.

If anyone in the area wants to make a day of it hit me up.

Also my daughter really wants a proper bike so we’re going to see about making that happen. She’s of an age now where she can fit a full size bike so I’m hoping to nab a good used one for her once we figure out sizing.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

You're going to blow the lens assemblies if you hardmount your phone to your bar/stem

I’m seconding what evil_bunnY said. Get an Apple Watch instead. I know Gaia GPS works with the watch and wouldn’t be surprised if trailforks does too.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Nocheez posted:

Has anyone else toned down their riding and the features they ride to try and stay out of the overcrowded ICUs? I know it's not as big of a deal now, but over the summer I had a baby on the way so I did my best to try to take safer lines and not over-extend myself because I didn't want to risk having to go to the ER.

My daughter is still only a month old, so I'll probably not get rowdy until next year.

I could lie to you and say yes, but between the early start on the season and a lot of extra riding this year (like three days a week on average) it's really hard to hold back when the joy-o-meter is saying 'look how much fun you're having, wouldn't it be funner to hit that root section faster??? Cmon just do it!' 2021 is my MTB comeback season and the kid jumping into the sport with both feet has made the latter half of 2021 my happiest year in general in the past decade. Also there was a lot of not doing poo poo last year to make up for.

That being said I do have internal guidelines set:
- I don't do drops over 24-30";
- I walk any obstacle that I haven't previously cleared;
- If the trail is wet any log over that looks in any way sketchy is a free pass;
- The household no emergency room policy that I set applies to me too regardless of where I am.

So far that's working out well. I've got tons of scratches all over my legs but only went OTB once this year (first time in 20 years and I totally ran the wrong line, low speed, and poor body positioning).

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

Heh. Get a jockstrap. I didn't and wished I would have listened to advice. Wasn't too bad though.

Mine was more in the context of "now I can't do jack poo poo to help with the kid." Can't pick them up, get them out of a crib, put them in a car seat, anything. Little ones already are exhausting, doing it all alone is that much harder.

E: Sorry for derail. This is the bikest thing I've done in a long time because of health issues. :smith:

That garage ceiling height is majestic. I wish I could just magic my bikes into the sky like that.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Taima posted:

Hey there thread. I have a long history with mountain bikes. Been riding for 20+ years and really seen the sport grow up around me. It's absolutely nuts how many people mountain bike these days, I was mostly used to having trails almost to myself, and I live in a hub for riding. Now the same parking lots that were empty when I was biking 15 years ago are now full every day.

Anyways I got into the corporate life a while back and biking unfortunately was a casualty of that transition. I own a Santa Cruz Bronson, which is either a 2013 or 2014 (I suspect it's a 2013). 36 front, Fox air rear suspension.

It's in ok condition and everything:

I've been getting back into riding and I'm just wondering, how bad is my current mountain bike in the grand scheme? How have mountain bikes improved in the time since my 2013 was created? What should I upgrade, up to and including the entire bike. What kind of downsides do I have, owning and riding this bike in 2022?

Can anyone see some immediate upgrades I might want to put in there? One thing that gets recommended to me is one of those seatposts that rise and lower. Anything else?

I basically just want to make sure I'm not stunting my return to biking by riding on super outdated gear, or missing components that have gotten better over time since I was in it, etc.

My understanding is that bike geometry and components have dramatically improved since 2013.

That's a nice bike!

The first thing I'd do is verify that the shocks are functional and hold pressure. Then I'd air it up and go for a ride, or two, or ten.

As for upgrades the first thing I would suggest is a dropper post. It's a significant creature comfort upgrade. After that you might look into converting the drivetrain from 2x to 1x, but that time and money might be better spent on a newer platform.

Taima posted:

Thanks, I guess that kind of gets to the crux of the matter, which is I get that geometry and components have improved, I just don't get what that actually means in terms of older geometry/parts and how much of a downside it is at this point.

I think that the best way to grasp the difference is try out a newer bike at your local bike shop and make your own comparisons.

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 1, 2022

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Taima posted:

You guys rule thanks, you've given me a lot to think about. Good to hear that for the most part the bike is still decent.

I do have to admit re: a dropper post, I bought my wife a dropper post for her bike a couple years back and somehow I ended up getting like... the wrong part? It didn't work based on her cable routing or something (interior vs exterior routing?). Then i got busy and lost the window to return it. I am still kinda salty about it.

That's about when I realized that standards changed while I was out of the game and poo poo that would just naturally fit our bikes, because frankly they were top of the line at the time, are now old and you need to be careful about the poo poo you buy for compatibility reasons.

In fact I would say that's something that's changed a lot; for most of mountain biking's history it kinda felt like parts generally swapped across bikes. I now get the impression that standards have deviated while I was away.

These newfangled chainless/wireless drivetrains look loving rad, idk if they're actually a big deal though. I have always had issues with my chains since like, forever though, so the idea of skipping them altogether is seductive.

PS this conversation has me feeling old af, I'm 36 is that old, please send help

So regardless of whether your Bronson is a 2013 or 2014 model it has a 30.9mm seat post tube. You'll have to DIY the insertion depth measurement yourself as I haven't been able to locate that bit of information. It does look like you're in luck that the frame was designed for internal routing of the dropper post control cable. Look at the non-chainring side of the seat post tube just above the bottom bracket for a port. My guess based on looking at the frame is that you can fit a 120-130mm dropper post at full insertion; however, you'll need to verify that with a real measurement and then look up the insertion depth requirements with the dropper post manufacturers.

Although I didn't end up buying from them I found KS Lev's spec sheets to be really informative as far as what the measurements mean.

As you can see the insertion depth (D) for an internally-routed dropper is quite a bit longer than the travel (B) because of the combination of the shock and the bell crank actuator assembly at the bottom end of the dropper post. My guess is that you can put a 120mm travel dropper post on it if you would like to.

Also as your bike's set up with a 2x-something drivetrain you'll need a lever that's compatible with the left-hand derailleur lever such as this one: https://www.pnwcomponents.com/collections/levers-1/products/replacement-lever-kit?variant=28766929190989

PS I'm 43, on your left Junior! :v:

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Homers BBBq posted:

Can people throw out some flat pedals they are using and like? There are so many choices out there... Currently riding on some composite crank brother stamp 1s and I'm not totally thrilled with them.

I like my Race Face Chesters; however, I will say that they're on the smaller side of the footprint scale. For reference I wear a US 9 (EU 42). My riding buddy went with a set of Deity Deftraps when he decided to try out a set of flats and they fit foot (US 11E) better than the Chesters.

Dear Thread,

I'm about to end up with a 'spare' 27.5x35mm wheel set and I'm thinking about what to do with it. Options include but are not limited to:
- keep the same tires (Maxxis Rekon+)
- look for a more tarmac-oriented tire for off-season use on the neighborhood trails
- set them up for more downhill riding (Bryce isn't that far away...)
- your idea here

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

kazr posted:

Yeah just getting into it. It was priced at $750 which was about my upper limit of what I was expecting to spend.

Any recommendations on a helmet? I have a long head

At that price point that's a nice first bike OP.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Aphex- posted:

Are you all running tyres made out of tissue paper or something???

Yeah for real, my tire kill count over the past five years is:
- 1 Maxxis Rekon+ (tubeless) vs right angle metal storm drain cover, hit that hard enough to bend the rim
- daughter pinch flatted a couple random 29ers

To be honest though I'm pretty impressed with how durable the Rekon+ EXOs are. They've been taken to downhill parks and subjected to all kinds of rocks and roots and are still going strong. Oh and that rim I bent? I heated it up and bent it back into shape and still have it as a backup wheel set. I should probably look at putting an insert in my back tire if I continue to visit the downhill parks, but that's kind of a once or twice a year thing and as a nearly middle-aged male should probably not be doing the jump lines anymore. :v:

Speaking of wheels and tires I lucked into a set of 27.5 non-boost wheels for my daughter's bike. She has a 2015 Troy XP with 15x100mm and 12x142mm axles and I had pretty much given up hope to find used wheels for it, but a fellow NICA coach sold me a set with practically brand new Hans Dampfs and they're set up tubeless! I'm happy and she's going to be really happy with the reduced rotational mass.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Spime Wrangler posted:

I appear to have splurged because I hate money.

What the world needs are more big yellow bikes.

Sincerely,
A Yellow Bike Owner

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

cubicle gangster posted:

I can get it for $1k flat, yeah. Sounds like it could be good!

As far as what modern means to me, i have no idea. All I know is this other forum I asked of mountain bikers kept saying the frame of the bikes i was looking at 6 months ago were 'not modern', like did this massive shift in mountain bike design happen during covid?

I really appreciate you guys being much more pleasant. I should have posted here in the first place, I might have ended up with a bike 6 months ago. I just went back and re-read my original thread on there and nobody is agreeing with each other. everyone has a wildly different opinion, but it's only about what isnt worth getting and whats poo poo, which eventually covers all options I'd been looking at. One guy in there 6 months ago recommended I up my budget to get the roscoe 6 instead of the marlin, and I was just told not to get the 2020 roscoe 8 over a $400 wallmart bike because it's got the same frame as the current roscoe 6 which is poo poo. just a bunch of miserable elitists.

Priced at $1K out the door that's a decent deal as long as the drivetrain is in good condition (not rusty, shifts cleanly up and down, brakes brake). I say send it OP.

"Bike people" can be like "car people" or "horse people" and they forget that not everyone is going to throw down $5K right out the gate on a new hobby. The Trek Roscoe is a solid entry-level bike. The NICA team I coach for probably has half a dozen riders on Roscoes. It will run cross-country trails all day long. Where it falls down is more chunky terrain and it's definitely not suited to more downhill riding. If you get this bike it will serve you well until eventually you'll progress to the point that you may want a more X or Y type bike.

re: 'modern geo' - yeah I guess some people have a point that there is a tendency towards longer slacker geometry on hardtails which means that they ride descents with more stability, but again that won't hold you back from the kinds of trails you're going to ride in your first year or two.

"One guy in there 6 months ago recommended I up my budget to get the roscoe 6 instead of the marlin, and I was just told not to get the 2020 roscoe 8 over a $400 wallmart bike because it's got the same frame as the current roscoe 6 which is poo poo. just a bunch of miserable elitists."

This person is shitposting OP. No the Trek Roscoe isn't a high end bike, but it's far more capable than a $400 WalMart special.

Anyway welcome to the sport and I hope you enjoy it!

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

numptyboy posted:

I think it might depend on the make - i think RS insist on new lowers while Fox can do new bushings.

I wouldnt ride on it unless you are sure the burrs wont rip into the bushings.

To repair there are some guides on filing off the burrs and then filling any gap with some kind of epoxy and then letting it harden and sand it down using really fine grit sandpaper and a lot of patience.
Ive done this with fairly small scratches and while it worked, the scratches were too small for the epoxy to bind to and eventually came off so overall I don't think it was worth the effort in my case, and I ended up just putting up with the cosmetic annoyance.

You can find some kits online that have all the stuff you need.

I went through this earlier this year with a Fox 34 fork and here is the summary:
- I crashed it at a bike park and put a scratch on the stanchion (CSU) which had obvious high and low points
- shock was slowly losing oil out the left side due to the scratch on the CSU
- took it to local bike shop for diagnosis, shop offered:
- repair with epoxy and sanding (low confidence of long term success)
- replace CSU and perform an 'upper service' which meant new seals and bushings
- replace fork entirely

I elected to go with the CSU replacement because the part was ~$150USD and the total repair was quoted out at ~$400 including the upper service kit. The shock was already five years old so it was overdue for service anyway and we priced out a replacement shock which started at $750 and went up from there.

When I asked about riding on the damaged shock I was told that it would be OK to do so with due caution (i.e. no sending it off jumps and stuff) while waiting for parts to arrive. It ended up taking a few weeks for the CSU to arrive because we needed one with the remote lockout feature as opposed to a standard CSU (yay Scott bikes).

The shop did the CSU swap, replaced the seals and bushings and filled up the shock and I swear it rides better than it did before the crash.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Bud Manstrong posted:

If this was the first service, that’s a definite possibility. Fox loves to ship forks with a huge wad of grease on the air spring. It reduces the volume in the negative chamber and makes the fork feel harsh off the top.

Points of clarification:
- original internals were retained, so no new air spring
- shock was also ~6 years old at time of service and hadn't had a fluid replacement in, like, ever

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Meet the new-to-me bike: a 2020 Scott Scale 970 hardtail

The previous owner had the wheels re-done with wider tubeless rims and WTB Ground Control brown wall tires. I'm not 100% sold on brown wall tires but they grip really well so there's no reason to change those out any time soon. He also replaced the stock Synchros bars with the red anodized bar and added some aesthetic touches such as the red bottle cage and a "Patapsco Valley State Park" stem cap.

Here's the listing photo:

To that I added some gray anodized Deity Black Kat pedals and a PNW Components 140mm Loam dropper post. I also have an SDG saddle on order, but might end up sticking with the Synchros one because it's super lightweight and more comfortable than I expected it to be.

I got it out on the trail yesterday and it's a goer! I did have to re-learn how to do log overs without the benefit of a rear shock and my legs will need some re-calibration to act as the rear suspension on descents. The 32t / 50t combination is just right and the WTB Ground Control tires are nice and grippy even on damp rocks and logs.

TL:DR it's fun bike and will make a great training tool for teaching NICA riders how to get the most out of their hardtail!

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 2, 2022

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Aphex- posted:

I've had an oval for almost a year and I noticed a difference right away, but I live somewhere which is mostly steeper technical climbs, I think it's great for that to even out the strokes more but yeah I'm not sure how much it would help with flatter rides.

I noticed it helps on uneven steep climbs, basically it smooths out the surges so I don't suddenly over-torque and spin out. It also helped that I went up a chain ring size because the factory 30t -> 52t ratio was wayyyyy too much torque. The oval is a 32t but because it's an oval it works out to roughly 31.5t (don't ask me, I'm just parroting what AbsoluteBlack's information says) which dialed the ratio in just right (for me, you mileage may vary).

Also I got out for the 2nd time this year and the first time since my crash back in January. We didn't go far or fast but the point was to just get out there and see how things stood. I was pleasantly surprised to find that not all of my cardio had evaporated and that my repaired ankle performed far better than anticipated! We're going back out next Sunday and I can't wait.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Jato posted:

Is this Bryce resort in VA? I'm a couple hours away in central VA and need to get up there and check it out. Picked up the Status 140 the other day and definitely want to get it to a bike park. Have some friends who went last year and said it was a good time.

I'd agree with Boogalo's assessment of Bryce. You can definitely have some fun there with your shiny new Status 140.

My comment on Bryce is that it is a very compact resort. This is true both for the layout and the trails themselves. It means if you want to repeat a trail to practice a particular feature or just cycle trails you can do that with minimal interruption. By about my 2nd or 3rd run on Screwdriver I really got to enjoying the super tight switchbacks at the end.

And yes Boogalo and I were there on the same day and even parked next to each other, but neither he nor I made the connection until afterward. :cripes:

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 8, 2023

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Ropes4u posted:

Is there any good reasons to order anything other than a Raceface Chester flat pedal

Some people (like myself) prefer a larger footprint.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Homers BBBq posted:

I recently had to change vehicles so I'm going from a roof rack to a hitch and tray rack. I'm all good on the tray rack but what should I do with the old roof stuff? I have the yakima Q tower and round bar system with two fork mounted bike mounts. The Q towers were universal but you need the clips and pads to fit your vehicle, which appear to be discontinued. The towers were made from 2004-2011. Also looks like manufacturers are only making aero bars now and round bars are a thing of the past so even the fork mounted carriers are obsolete.

I checked facebook market place and there are a ton of old rack items for sale in my area and all for low dollar values. Probably not worth the time and effort for the small chance someone needs my exact setup.

So, is this stuff destined for the dumpster? I can recycle all the metal at my local transfer station but the plastic is probably trash. Feels bad to throw out a perfectly good rack. Any other options I'm missing?

Two possible options:
- Put it up for sale on your local bike trading group
- Find a group for the model car it fits and put it up for sale there

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Boogalo posted:

27.5 is fine. As is 29. Sit on both sizes if you can and pick which one feels better to you.

This is the way.

I'll add that if you can rent or demo the bikes so you can take them out of the parking lot and on to the trails you intend to ride that's the real way to find out which one you vibe with best. The beauty of this sport is that there's not always a 'right' or 'wrong' answer, it's what works best for you.

For example I have a friend that swears by his 27.5s and will probably never convert to 29. He prefers the agility of the 27.5 to mountain goat his way up rocky climbs and to negotiate the numerous rock gardens of Patapsco Valley State Park.

Speaking for myself I started out in 2017 on a 29er hardtail that felt like driving a monster truck (my basis of comparison being a 26" from like 2000). Then I fell in love with a 27.5+ full suspension and that bike is where it's at for my 90% XC riding. I also have a 29er hardtail when I feel like upping the challenge or going fast on flatter trail systems. It's also useful as a teaching tool in my coaching because most of our student riders are on hardtails so it's good to ride something like what they ride once in a while to feel the trail from their perspective and remind myself that hardtails are far less forgiving of line choice than a full suspension.

FogHelmut posted:

The thing about climbing is that you have to come back down. Doesn't a locking rear suspension help with climbing efficiency or is it not as good as a hard tail? They seem to be on higher end bikes though?

Firming up the dampers and reducing travel both on the fork and the rear (if applicable) help translate more of your pedal stroke into forward motion; however, you rarely want to fully 'lock out' because that will cause the bike to lose grip and that will negatively affect your climbing. The name of the game for being an efficient climber balancing grip with pedaling efficiency.

The video you linked showed an initial climb on a wide and relatively smooth trail that would lend itself to locking out the fork and rear shock. You just have to remember to un-lock them before descending or your descent will be, uh mighty uncomfortable.

If you want to get really fancy there are bikes out there with remote lockout levers and multiple 'modes' of suspension travel and damping force that you can select with your thumb. Those are really good for people that ride cross-country type terrain where they're constantly swapping between ascent, descent, and flow mode. It's not an essential feature, but can be a nice quality-of-life thing.

quote:

Basically this whole channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0oRKQzRHss

That trail is 100% doable (and fun) on a hardtail. There's one bit around the 8 minute mark in the video which will likely give you trouble which is the 'punchy climb' (that's mountain biker for 'punch you in the legs/gut/soul') over the rocks which gives the presenter some trouble.

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Dec 3, 2023

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

I don’t think OP will be able to get that fancy in the 2k FS price range.

Fair point, wasn't suggesting going straight to that level right away, simply offering it as additional information.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Nohearum posted:

Gorilla tape is a nightmare if you ever have to remove/replace it. Kapton tape is cheap and works great without leaving residue

There is a special place in hell for people that use Gorilla tape. I've had to re-do two wheelsets that were DIY tubeless'ed with Gorilla tape and cleaning up the residue one the rims was a non-trivial process. It's still better than stripping old tubeless sealant off the inside of tires though.

What winter projects does everyone have lined up? I'm working on re-doing my wall racks for bikes and biking accessories because the bug has bitten the entire family and now we need room for four bikes as opposed to just two. My spouse enjoyed photographing cross-country bike races so much that now she wants an e-bike to facilitate getting from spot to spot on the course as well as some light trail riding which I am very excited to support.

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 17, 2024

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Status update:
- garage still a disaster area, welp
- bike serviced and has a fresh rear derailleur now
- finally dragged spouse to LBS to look at e-bikes, she fell in love with a Specialized Turbo Tero and we put a deposit on one!
- went for my first MTB ride of the year
- daughter drove us back from said ride and we didn’t die

It was a good weekend by all accounts.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

3/4 bikes in the house are running on GX derailleurs and as soon as the spouse kills the NX on her fancy new e-bike (and she will, trust me) that one's getting a GX upgrade as well. I did my level best to kill the one on my Spark over five years and only just replaced it this year because I got tired of constantly fiddling with the fine adjustments to keep it in tune. It had multiple scars on it from rock strikes and outlasted two derailleur hangars. I probably should have asked for the carcass to mount on my wall, but alas, did not think of that in time before it went into the scrapper's bin.

My primary bike was down for the weekend so I rode my backup (2020 Scott Scale 970) on Saturday and Sunday and came back with the following notes:
- I mis-set the seat post height when I installed a dropper post (since fixed)
- I really need to adjust the fork pressure and rebound (also fixed)
- I really miss the DT Swiss 350 54t hub on my primary bike
- resin pads and wet conditions are bad combination

We ran into some pretty awful trail conditions on Sunday afternoon that had my bike trying to skid sideways while the front tire washed out and the wet brakes were just kinda along for the ride so that was fun. I wasn't the only one experiencing what we'll call 'limited control', but no one crashed and we all made it back to the trailhead in one piece so no harm no foul, just a few more gray hairs amongst us.

And now I'm in discussions with the local bike shop regarding either upgrading the existing wheel with a 350 or 370 hub or getting an entire wheel + hub combo from a supplier, whichever makes more sense. I'm telling myself that this is all in the name of providing quality education to the team riders that you can have a very fast, fun and capable hardtail. Yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 29, 2024

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Polish posted:

I'm 5'9" 180ish pounds trying to get to 165-170. The only reason I went up to 50 was because the tire claimed 45-60 PSI so I figured 50 was on the safer side. I am not too familiar with tube tires though so any information is helpful.

The numbers printed on the tire are the maximum pressure it is designed to withstand and not representative of what is good or useful.

We are roughly the same spec and on inner tubes I’d be looking at high 20s to low 30s for pressure based on how smooth or rocky the trails that you ride are. With inner tubes you have to balance squish and grip vs too much squish will result in pinching the inner tube between the tire and wheel rim which leads to ripping the inner tube. If you put too much pressure in the tire it’ll ride like crap as in bounce off of obstacles vs deflect over them and also you’ll lose lateral grip which leads to sketchy cornering.

Finding the correct tire pressure is a bit of an art; basically you start at a sane baseline for your weight and trail conditions and adjust to preferences as you go until you get a feel for what 28lsi feels like vs 30 or 33 and then you can get into advanced topics like front vs rear.

Personally I like my front to have just a little less pressure and therefore more squish than my rear unless I’m riding in muddy conditions in which case I might sacrifice rolling resistance for as much grip as I can get without risking bashing the rim on a rock or root or having the sidewall fold over whilst cornering. On tubeless on a really messy ride I went down to like 10-12 psi, hills were a slog but the downs were magnificent even when I was two wheel drifting around corners!

Edit 2: Yeah there are tubeless tires and they are amazing.

Note: tubeless tires require compatible rims but you can often get take offs on consignment at your local bike shop for low $$$ vs buying a new set or having a set built.

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 27, 2024

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Polish posted:

Alright, I'm quickly starting to "get it" with the whole mountain bike thing. Just this conversation about tire pressure has me all excited, I need to go back and read this thread. I was just doing this to get in to some sort of shape, but now I am thinking this could be a new stupid expensive hobby. What have you done.

Are there some kind of beadlocks for running crazy low 5-8 PSI for like sand? How do you deal with a tubeless tires coming off the rim?

They really don’t de-bead thanks to the Kevlar cords in the tire beads, but they will just go flat and if you ride them enough like that (say in an emergency or racing) it’ll chew through the sidewall just like a car tire.

Also stop now while you still can, this hobby is a total(ly fun and worthwhile) money pit. I sat that just having bought what I thought was just going to be a hub upgrade for my hardtail that turned into a full wheel set plus fork! Thanks to the NICA discount and my very accommodating friends at the shop this only cost a mere *cough* $1200 and basically doubled the price of the bike overall but I got a better fork, 5x110mm through axle (vs quick release) and a DT Swiss 350 54t hub on lighter Royal rims wrapped in a blackwall Purgatory up front and a Ground Control rear.

TLDR is I now have a decently racy 29er hard tail to run the spring short track series on and teach kids how to race hardtails (once I learn myself that is).

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 27, 2024

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Polish posted:

I'm a mechanical engineer and a Jeep owner so this is all scratching all sorts of itches right now.. Theres an offroad youtube guy that just had some big event where Berm Peak drove up a trail in Utah and then rode his bike down it if you wanna check it out (hopefully timestamped):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn4U26UGvPc&t=1261s

I dunno if this Berm Peak guy is good to watch to learn stuff, he seems pretty competent, but I don't know.

Check out Skills With Phil, Joy of Bike and Roxy’s Ride & Inspire for no bullshit riding skills and drills.

Speaking of Jeeps and mountain bikes this is a pic from the COVID trip my friend and I took to WV to ride Snowshoe and totally not camp in the raft landing parking on the New River.

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 27, 2024

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Tenacious J posted:

I'm wondering what new kind of bike I should get. Gravel bike? Full sus MTB? Trail/XC?

I started biking 4 years ago and fell in love with it. I bought a Trek Marlin 7 online without testing it and I think I lucked out since it fit me well and I've truly enjoyed riding it every day there isn't snow outside. I'm feeling like I could use something else now though.

I don't really do any single-track or races or technical rides. I live in a city so I usually have to bike 10-30 mins on asphalt to get to parks and trails, but I can also drive out to some mountains and national parks.

Basically, what I like to do most is explore all day long. Ideally that would be hiking trails or dirt roads. There is usually a lot of hills, so I don't want something that is awful for climbs. I tried a gravel bike for a couple of weeks and it was tons of fun (way more agile), but I kept running into dirt/mud/roots or grassy fields, that seemed kind of sketchy to ride. Whereas on the MTB I wouldn't think twice. It seems like maybe a hardtail is best suited? But that's what I already have and I'm interested in a different kind of bike and what sort of riding that may open up.

Thanks for any help/opinions!

If you're looking to have one bike to rule them all (for now, lol) I'd be looking at short-travel full suspensions with a lockout lever.

Possible models:
- Canyon Neuron
-Canyon Lux Trail if you're feeling racy and willing to spend a little extra for that
- Specialized Stumpjumper
- Scott Spark (personal fave but check your LBS to see if they can get Scott-specific parts such as frame bushings)

The models I suggested are all either 'Downcountry' or 'Trail' bikes so look for those from your preferred bike vendors.

More on mountain bike types from The Pro's Closet: https://www.theproscloset.com/blogs/news/the-mountain-bike-spectrum-6-mtb-types-explained

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Tenacious J posted:

Thanks to everyone for the help, I really appreciate all the info and it's led me to two different Trek bikes. Budget is 3000-4000 CAD, but less is obviously better.

Checkpoint ALR 5 (link)
Fuel EX Gen 5 (link)

The Fuel is about $1000 CAD more, so it would need to be "worth it". Again, I'm not going to be doing technical rides or jumps etc. Just all day exploring in natural areas, with some asphalt commuting to and from.

Non-admin note: both links lead to the Fuel EX

Checkpoint ALR 5

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Polish posted:

I'm looking for a bike rack for my Jeep and this is terrifying. There is a few 100-150 dollar options that might work okay.. but I know I should be looking at the 400ish bigger name brand options. Anything with fabric straps I just imagine will fall off in the middle of the road, can't have my free Schwinn or potential walmart bike taking that kind of damage. Also, a proper carrier will be more expensive than my bike which seems insane, but I also don't want anything to fall off into the road which could be a disaster on many levels. There are a lot of spare tire mounted options, but I think I want to go with a hitch mounted since I can at least use that on a future vehicle when my Jeep dies. I can always just throw it in the back for now so I have time to weigh my options here.

Yeah you're not going to like this but: https://yakima.com/products/spareride

This may also work with an extender to clear the spare tire: https://www.swagman.net/collections/hitch-mount-racks/products/xc2-hitch-mount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I like the ground keeper styles ones for that, they just catch the mud that would be thrown forward into your face. Idk if the neoprene ones would have the coverage.

2nded for this style front mud guard, plus you can get them in all kinds of funky liveries to complement or clash with your bike's colors, and/or represent your favorite whatever