Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ascend is for bikes with provisions for internal dropper cable routing.

Ascend II has the cable come out the top of the seat tube so that it can be routed externally.

That is it. That is the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

xzzy posted:

I'm debating what to look out for from here. Obviously no one rides anything like this anymore but I'm not sure I'm invested enough to drop a couple grand on something modern. But I'm also not sure it's worth putting more money into this one either. $100 in new parts on a free bike is worth it, but $200, $300? Not so sure. The front wheel has a slight wobble and the grips could use replacing too. The derailleurs seem fine but the gear selectors are kinda vague feeling, not sure I like it. The cables could certainly benefit from replacement but if I do that I'd consider new shifters.

So I guess I'm wondering what y'all would do.

Truing the wheels is a skill worth learning and free minus the cost of some zip ties or tape I guess.

I’d put new pedals on it because I hate those stock things. Bikes that old still used nine-sixteenths inch threads, I think, except when equipped with one-piece cranks. “MZYRH” brand on Amazon/Aliexpress are better-than-Chester knockoffs for less than twenty dollars.

Get new grips if your hands are having any trouble with what’s on there. Same with the seat and your butt.

Pedals, grips (subject to bar diameter), and seat are all transferrable if you ditch the bike. I’d keep it around as a beater after getting something with suspension though.

I’m not a stickler for changing out cables annually regardless of condition, but if they need to be replaced, Shimano cabling long enough for both runs with housing is again twenty bucks and worth preventing an inconvenient failure.

Oh yeah and check chain wear. Bike shop will do this with a tool, or you can measure it yourself if you can use a ruler and a calculator. Twelve links should measure six inches, pin center to pin center when taut. Six point zero six is a problematic amount of wear. If the chain is overly worn, it will quickly destroy the gears. It’s worth replacing a worn chain promptly if you plan to keep the rest of the drivetrain for any real time.

Alternatively, if the chain is already severely worn (six point twelve would do it), it’s possible that the gears are so worn that a new chain would skip teeth, and the whole thing is on borrowed time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

xzzy posted:

Just some chill gravel loops around the south side of Denver, it takes me too long to heal to do gnarly stuff. But some of the climbs up to the butte are pretty rocky and washed out and I wouldn't feel comfortable taking my hybrid up there. Mostly because of the tires and I don't feel like swapping in more rugged options.

Are the tires newish? They look knobby enough, but age and rubber condition is unclear in photos.

Supple tires are so much better than stiff old ones even if the tread depth is fine, but new tires are fairly expensive and don’t transfer to modern bikes.

xzzy posted:

I'm kinda suspicious of bikes with suspension, but I should note that this is because I tried it out when the tech was pretty new and hated it. It felt like every time I pedaled half my energy went into compressing the shocks. I assume given the popularity of suspension it's been fixed, is that true?

Suspension is good now and the top reason to get a new bike.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I must disagree that the woods get quiet as night falls.

Sounds from the underbrush get way louder than they should be. Squirrels sound like deer. Deer sound like bears. Bears sound like bigfoot.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What’s that one that’s named like a Star War droid?

Oh yea the HT PA03A.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

taqueso posted:

8.5in is only a couple mm over the low end of the 175mm range in step 1. better be really sure about that measurement. for me that'd be too close for comfort

Skill issue.

Get a dropper post with too much range for the bike because both are cheap, then tether the saddle rails to the top tube to constrain its maximum extension.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Well poo poo if there’s no market for non‐motorized mountain bikes anymore, I’ll take a shipping container of this unsellable stock off the hands of distributors.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Gravel bikes have seized the mandate of adventure, and soon they will gain wider bars and suspension, and the cycle will be complete.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
wtf the “Barcentric” 2×‐friendly dropper lever that I ordered on Aliexpress from an 80% positive feedback seller arrived, and it’s exactly what it’s supposed to be.

I thought that it was pretty likely that I would get nothing or a totally different product and have to file a dispute, but no, it probably came out of the same factory. Especially because it has the brand’s printing on it; that was only Photoshopped out for the listing.

That saved me sixty bucks, but not really because I would have settled for a PNW Puget at thirty instead of forking over seventy‐five for a Barcentric at Wolf Tooth’s prices. Options for 2×‐friendly levers aren’t great. Then again, I could have followed the maintenance thread title advice to use friction shifting in the front.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 14, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

e.pilot posted:

wolftooth makes all their stuff in house in minnesota afaik so it didn’t come from the same factory

They strayed and were hoisted with their own petard.

quote:

The vast majority of our products are made here in Minnesota in our machine shop. We strive to manufacture locally whenever possible. We have a few partners here in town that help us out when our machine shop is at capacity. We do have a small number of products and sub-components that are sourced nationally and internationally.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kimbo305 posted:

The first thing I notice about older MTBs is how steep they look compared to modern ones.
I wonder if using an angleset headset (to get, say, 1.5deg of slack) is net-beneficial to handling. Longer wheelbase, less nervous descending?
But then also higher trail numbers which might make turning feel weird on climbs.

It’s time for a mullet, and maybe a fork with some extra travel.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I wouldn’t get a 27.5″ model unless your frame size is so small as to necessitate it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Someone tell me what’s wrong with the Polygon DSE.

Are the frames on the D series disasters waiting to happen?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hey everybody who rides at night.

Tell me what helmet light you’re using and if you’re happy with it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Are dropper levers like usable with any post? I still have the stock one on my Izzo and it's hot garbage.

For the most part, yeah, any lever works with any post.

There’s one thing to watch out for, which is that while on shifters, the shifter always gets the pre‐terminated end of the cable with the little cylinder and the derailleur get the crimp‐on ferrule, it’s common for dropper cables to be run backwards, with the post demanding the pre‐terminated end.

Some levers (mostly bad ones) also want that end. The Loam isn’t one of them, though. It has a pinch bolt. If you do run into this problem with some other lever, there are barrels that attach to the cut end of the cable with grub screws to fix it, or you can use two cables and couple them somewhere in the middle with a “knarp”.

And obviously you can’t use a cable lever for a hydraulic or radio dropper post.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 8, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Last month, Reddit had a question about dropper remotes for someone with limited dexterity.

Someone pointed out the Yep Components Joystick, which I tough twas pretty neat. Pushing it off‐center in anyy direction activates the dropper.

I looking up what it was called for this post, I found that Wolf Tooth has since launched their own take on this concept. It can additionally be rotated out of parallel with the bars.

https://i.imgur.com/ElFomVa.mp4

If I break both of my thumbs, maybe I’ll review one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

They are both spec’d to have a maximum cable pull of eight millimetres, which yeah works out about right for pivoting around a point with the same radius as the handlebar by forty‐five degrees.

Whether or not that’s a problem likely depends on the model of dropper post you have. With mine, I can and do use the barrel adjuster to take out the slack and then some, so that very little lever movement is required to open the valve. I do have a bigger fulcrum than those joysticks, but not that much bigger, and I’m not pivoting the lever by forty‐five degrees.

fakeedit: Pinkbike comments mention that the “joystick” form was used by Crank Bros, Maverick, X-Fusionten and fifteen years ago. Some love them. Some hated them.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Dec 8, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
9point8 makes a “trigger” style lever that is designed to go in front of the bars (either side), like a miniature brake lever.

I’ve never given much thought to how important it is or isn’t to be able to pull the brake lever with the thumb and hit a dropper remote with the thumb at the same time. I think that I’d still want to be able to do that even if it doesn’t come up much. I’d at least put such a lever on the same side as the rear brakes and not the front.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I serviced my lowers.

gently caress yeah small bump compliance is back. :cabot:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Homers BBBq posted:

I appreciate the feedback but this is why I ask... as far as I can tell, the 50 hour lower service is outdated and a hold over from older forks that required that service at that interval. All newer fox forks only have the 125 hour full service interval I mentioned. Doing a lower service at 50 hours sort of feels like changing my car oil at 3000 miles even though the service interval is 10k. It can't hurt but may be overkill.

If I had only been worried about debris and old oil shortening the life of the moving parts, I might have put it off, but like I said, service restored small bump compliance, which I knew wasn’t as good as it could have been.

People will say stuff like “I ride all the time and haven’t had the fork serviced in five years, and it still performs like new”, and I know that they’re full of poo poo. They just forgot what “good” feels like. Could Fox’s stuff go twice as long between service as my RockShox and still feel alright, though? Yeah maybe.

I’d change the oil more often in my car if it made it perform better in a meaningful way.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ll respect a dirt road climb of twenty-two percent grade for a hundred metres, but only because the man was sixty-four years old at the time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

taqueso posted:

now watch this ride

Slightly less dramatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5FoL0pur9Q&t=131s

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Guest2553 posted:

I confused tubular with clincher with something else, my bad. But yeah they're clincher.

I spent a couple hours at YouTube polytech today. Learned that Stan's rim strips were discontinued in 2019 so my next move is ghetto tubeless with gorilla tape, then chase used wheels on Craigslist until somebody steals my kidneys.

Don’t use Gorilla.

There’s a green 3M tape marketed for masking during powder coating operations.

It’s great, and seemingly everyone on this forum has used it for years.

e: It’s 3M Polyester Tape 8992

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 13, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The elites don’t want you to know this, but a one‐gallon garden sprayer from the hardware store is a better Airshot than the Airshot, for twelve bucks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ghetto tubeless is wooden wheels, because the Krauts stole all the rubber.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

prom candy posted:

Outdoor water's all turned off and hoses put away for the winter.

The portable garden sprayer delivers once again. :smugdog:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Just don’t, like, force water and salt and sand into the hubs/bottom bracket/headset/etc.

That goes for hoses, too. You want to get the salt off, not create more problems.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t think that you could possibly come out ahead on time with a full suspension bike by going faster on the single track, given than it’s like twenty percent of the course and that some other riders will be navigating it successfully on gravel or cyclocross bikes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I should be losing derailleurs/hangers from carelessness around branches, both riding through them and hoisting the bike over deadfall.

Haven’t yet, though. knock on wood

Yesterday I had a twig get caught in the derrailleur cage and rub against the spokes. Happened while coasting at low speed though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Potentially a dumb answer, but you don’t pedal like that. You use a dropper seatpost. Hit a lever on the handlebars and the saddle sinks for descents or dismounts.

Stand on the pedals and hit the lever and it rises back to prime pedalling height.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I get the sentiment, but it’s the best seventy bucks I ever spent on a bike.

If you aren’t using a dropper, don’t pedal with the seat low for extended periods of time. You won’t get good at it. You’ll just gently caress up your joints. Keep an Allen key handy and lower the seat for long, tricky descents. What you can get better at is working with the handicap of a high seat in more moderate terrain.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I elbow-dropped the Earth.

I’m fine, but someone should check on the Earth.

Kidding. It occurs to me that this is how people gently caress up their shoulders. I am thankful that mine seems to be all right.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Don’t buy a new hundred‐dollar bike.

Four hundred dollars is about what it takes to get a new bike that is outdated in features but isn’t going to kill you.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 20, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Polish posted:

South Eastern PA. Im really not going to be taking it on any rough terrain, at most some dirt trails in the woods where the most abuse it might see is hopping a downed log. Mostly using it for some exercise on paved neighborhood roads a couple times a week. My requirements really are two wheels and some gear shifting, and some shocks would be preferred. I didn't really want to go above 200 in case I get lazy or bored and this hobby doesn't stick.. but if everything down in that range is complete garbage or worse, unsafe, then I'll start looking at more spendy options.

What I have now functions okay enough for me.. the deraileur could use replacement and get me by, but the whole thing should just be trashed. It was 60 bucks new...20 years ago so it has well paid for itself. I could scour FB marketplace for something a bit better used, but I'm not all that knowledgeable in the bike realm, so I have no idea what's decent or not.

I found this deal on a Mongoose Colton on Reddit, three hundred dollars inclusive of shipping on large frame size, forty bucks more if your fit is a medium.

It’s going to be heavy, the fork won’t be very responsive and isn’t adjustable to your weight, the gear range is limited, the mechanical disc brakes are likely awful, and it’s got various old features limiting upgrades (freewheel, quick release axles, probably a straight steerer tube, 650B wheels), but it will be rideable.

For four hundred dollars, Wal‐Mart has the Ozark Trail Ridge. These are often assembled incorrectly and dangerously in the store, but if you can get a twenty‐year‐old bike rolling, you’re probably all right there. I will say that one thing that it’s easy to do wrong and to overlook is preloading the headset. The OTR frame is good, with cheap components. This makes it more upgradeable but probably worse to ride as‐is than the Mongoose.

Polish posted:

I just checked a few local shops websites around here, and most of their inventory is way way over what I wanted to spend at the moment.

In name‐brand territory, the Marin Bobcat Trail 4 is on sale for five seventy at the moment. You should be able to get comparable deals from a brick & mortar shop.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hard pass on the rim brakes and freewheel (14–34, seven‐speed) at that price.

GT Aggressor is a classic of cheap bikes.

Dick’s has the eight‐speed cassette model for less. I’m not seeing a downside to that other than the wheel size, but that’s not worth two hundred dollars. I don’t know how much they charge for shipping though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I had a kickstand on my crosscountry bike and was like “this is convenient. I’ll keep it.”

Then I did some work on the bike where I removed it and forgot to reattach it before I put on the wheel.

It turns out that I didn’t miss it, so I never put it back on.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Nuts were almost never used with schrader tubes, and they worked just fine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Always gloves.

My left hand is a little messed up right now with scrapes and bruises because I neglected to put the gloves back on after a trailside repair. Within ten minutes, I’d taken a fall hard on my left hand. Jammed two fingers and dug a chunk of flesh out of my thumb.

Gloves will also help damp vibration through the bars, which can leave you sore or numb or worse.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s like a prestige thing with Wal-Mart now with the trails system in Bentonville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I was wondering why helmet recommendation didn’t get any pushback. Then I realized that the mountain biking thread is a sanctuary from the Dutch.