Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

h3r0n posted:

I shout "TO VALHALLA" and just shoulder people out of the way.

Real answer is I generally say something along the lines of: rider up, passing when you have the chance etc etc. Please and thank you tend to go a long way too.

Rider up is usually when you’re catching up to another rider in front with a group behind you. This might be confusing if you’re telling someone this as you’re coming up behind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

iospace posted:

Some of us ride in snow using 700x38cs!

700x30 :clint:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

I'd warrant that a lot of bikes went to cities so that people could stop huffing other people's coughs on public transportation, not to people who own garages.

Nah, lots of suburbanites bought a ton of bikes so they could get out of the house from their full time WFH gigs. Come any colder temperatures and they’re not riding and a good chunk of them will give up the hobby.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah but then you have to buy a Trek.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

vikingstrike posted:

Just buy a mid 90s Stumpjumper, its clearly what you want. Itll only be 200 too

poo poo, the markup on 90s Specialized rigid mtbs is unreal now. Everyone wants one.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Hi eyebeem

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sweet dril post

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If you don't have a dozen SiS gels taped to your top tube ready to rip, does it even count?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cuntpunch posted:

That awkward moment when you realize that the shop that sold you a somewhat expensive bike made not one, but multiple mistakes during assembly.

Having never ridden with a clutched RD before, I early on noticed the weird little lever on the RD - and that when I flipped it, the RD wanted to 'lock up'. Weird, I thought, being naive - that must be some sort of lockout position for working on the mech or something. And thus, left it how I received the bike, lever down, arm able to easily be moved about.

2 months, 1400km later, idly reading the blue book with regards to the tubeless conversion process - it notes that to remove the rear wheel, I'm going to want to turn OFF the clutch, which will make the rear mech easier to move. Wait, the thought occurs, it's SUPPOSED to be in that difficult-to-move state by default? Surely not! So off I go, to flip the switch, ride around the neighborhood, and notice how much more pleasant shifting feels.

This does not inspire confidence, and I get to draft an awkward email to the shop today explaining my concerns. Upside: riding has gotten more pleasant on, quite literally, the flip of a switch.

I cannot imagine you can notice any appreciable difference in shifting with the clutch on or off.

Emailing the shop because you never read the manual and don’t understand how a clutch works is pretty insane

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cuntpunch posted:

Yup, SRAM has that cute little lockout button to hold slack - going to be super helpful when it comes time to change that chain.

And not really flipping out on anyone, it was an awkward "Hey FYI - just wanted to let y'all know I found these issues, would kinda suck if other customers actually had this stuff develop into issues, have a nice day" email. They gonna find out somehow, why not try to ensure it's in a chill polite way.

Excepting the fact that I've had some really rough shifts since adding that extra link of slack to the chain, which have also now gone away under identical conditions, sure. It's also pleasantly less noisy.

And I'm sorry, Karen, I'll get right to reading the manuals for every component on the bike - because the bike's manual itself definitely doesn't cover this. Should I start ground up with the tire compounds and the spokes, or maybe interface-down with the grips and stem?

There's a lot of bits and bobs to go over, and I'd hardly expect them to go over most generalized service concerns like turning off the rear mech clutch, lever bleeding, or any such thing. Any more than a car dealership stopping to explicitly teach replacing a spark plug. Mostly a "right-and-tight at purchase, there's a service schedule in the manual - including some self-service like cleaning and lubricating the chain."

Nice meltdown because you can’t figure out a clutch. Should they teach you how to use the shifters too?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cuntpunch posted:

Generally pleasant replies all around barring, uh, your weird gently caress-off-newbie snobbery.

Where’s the snobbery?

You never asked the shop to give you a rundown of the bike, you never did any research of your own, and now your plan is to email them and call them out for not having the clutch on when you picked up the bike? It takes literally under 1 second to turn it on. Probably under 1 minute to post a picture and ask “hey, what’s this?” or find the answer yourself. The irony of you calling me a Karen when your plan is to send an email complaining about the most trivial of things is rich.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The 1Up rack has also let me successfully avoid approximately 12 trips of NY state tolls.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

Ray's owns. Plenty of stuff to dick around and do for a couple hours until everything hurts. I have taken my own bike and rented, and renting was how I'd do it in the future (coming from 3 hours away). Now worth getting the bike dirty/wet outside during the drive for the small cost. Last I was there (a year or two ago?) they were trek 29+ hardtails that were pretty great and purple to boot.

Definitely rent a DJ for Ray’s. The Roscoes they have are ok but you can do everything on a DJ and have a ton of fun.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

eeenmachine posted:

Just ordered a Spot Rocker single speed after my gravel bike left me wanting more and realizing I’m almost always riding either road or mtb trails and my dentist road bike is much better suited for the road half.

Kind of nervous about the single speed thing though. Always intrigued me but I’m worried I won’t be able to get fit enough to properly enjoy it. At least it can be converted to 1x relatively easy if I bounce off it?

I’d love to hear your thoughts on it when you get it. For a long time I’ve toyed with the Spot Rallye SS because it’s one of the few bikes out there that’s belt driven with hydro discs and drops. Would be an ideal commuter, but it’s spendy and Spot only specs it with the 175 cranks.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

This is absolutely fine, I’ve got a mishmash of shimano, sram, and god knows what else on 3 of my bikes.

I have had 105 levers shifting a GRX derailleur on an e*thirteen XD cassette for literal thousands of miles.

SRAM cassette with the 11t and 12t cogs from a Shimano cassette and a SRAM lockring, 105 shifters, GRX RD, and TRP brakes

It Just Works

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It takes about 2 weeks of pretty consistent riding for my undercarriage to not hurt if I hadn’t been riding. I’d do that before I bought a new saddle.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Figure MTB thread might be the best spot for this. I’ve got a PNW Coast 31.6/120mm external dropper on my bikepacking/touring bike with a drop bar lever. Seat tube angle is 73.3.

My problem is that I have to throw my rear end down on the saddle a bit to get it started to go down. If the post is not fully extended, it works just fine under my normal body weight, but fully extended I can put my entire body weight on the saddle, as in feet in the air, and it won’t start going down.

I’ve got the cable tension right, and I’ve tried PSI from 150-250. It’s been like this from the start, and I’ve used it on maybe 10 rides. I also tried various torque on the seat clamp, anywhere from 6Nm down to just barely tight enough to prevent it from slipping and it doesn’t impact it.

Is this just normal for the Coast since it has the small suspension travel, and you have to overcome that to actuate the dropper itself?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PNW sent me a new one before my old one had even made it to them. Works way better, no having to do a booty bonk to get it moving.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I almost said booty bump but that’s a very different thing

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Boogalo posted:

My dropper got to be like that after 2 years of muddy riding and just needed a disassemble, clean, and re-lube.

I’d ridden it on the road for maybe 300 miles, just seemed kinda sticky to start.

My only problem now is the drop bar lever will catch on my bar mitts but winter is almost over (please be almost over)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

dreesemonkey posted:

Incoming annoying new guy questions.

I'm a road bike hobbyist (typical 40ish out of shape guy), some former coworkers have been hounding me to come and ride mountain bikes with them for some time. I ride road bike solo, it would be nice to have some people to ride bikes with.

I don't have a mountain bike so I'm considering buying one. Through conversation with my friend, I asked details of what they ride and what I should consider:

• "All mountain" riding
  • Recommends a 29" wheel (seems to concur with the fist post wiki)
  • Recommends 130-150mm travel full suspension

They all more or less have Fezzari bikes, though that is not a requirement. I assume that's a bang for your buck brand as they're not rich dudes. I have 2 LBS that sell specialized/trek/cannondale, but as you can imagine no one has any stock to speak of so I'm not opposed to ordering direct from fezzari/canyon/polygon or similar if I could get one in a reasonable amount of time.

What would be some good options for a beginner? I'm a run-what-you-brung type guy, so I kind of would just like to get a bike and ride it without messing around too much. I'm not sure if that means I should get a slightly higher spec bike up front vs. getting something to then modify.

Not sure what my budget is or how likely I am to actually buy something, but let's say up to $3k-ish budget, but lower would be nice.

There is an outside chance that I might be able to ride a spare bike to see how I like it, but they've been saying that for years with no followthrough so I dunno. Ideally, I'd get to ride with them first before I spend thousands of dollars on something.

Do any of these shops have rental bikes so you could try it out before you drop thousands?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

if you have an air compressor setting up tubeless is a piece of cake

if you don’t and it’s your first time you’re in for a messy world of pain

related:
got some new wheels for the trail pistol last night, 35mm wide vs 27mm wide, the 2.5” tires have a much nicer profile on these

and mounted an old set of 2.1” thunder burts I had laying around on the 27mm wheels, I forgot what a pain in the rear end they are the mount

Is this after setting the bead with the compressor before the sealant goes in?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

jamal posted:

There are current versions on the website with 2.1s and 2.25s in stock. Schwalbe availability has seemed to be a little more spotty than some other brands though. I waited most of last year for a racing ray 2.35 to show up. It was kind of funny because we ordered a couple sets and then had a bunch of the rear specific racing ralphs sitting around. So I had 2 different sets in the mean time. They're on my bike now but I still haven't ridden them.

Schwalbe also seems to have about 4 billion individual SKUs, I’m not sure how they manage it

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

How is it not completely dry rotted by now?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PNW sent me a new dropper before I had even sent mine in after describing a problem solely over the phone. They paid shipping on both. Definitely earned my future business.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You can’t get a snakebite puncture on a tubeless setup

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Looks cool, what's this thing? Looks almost like an allen bolt or a small pivot but I can't see what it might be doing?

It’s the IsoSpeed decoupler

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

meltie posted:

Hey everyone, i'm moving soon to somewhere where temps are below freezing for half the year. What should I do about tubeless sealant there? Are below-freezing temps an issue?

How cold?

Orange Seal says the range for their various sealants are:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nohearum posted:

I was weak and bought a $49 gravel frame today :toot:

Post some pics when you get it. I also bought it, along with the gravel wheels for dirt cheap and some other bits. Figure I can flip it worst case

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nohearum posted:

Product listing explicitly said no fork but it came with one anyway as a bonus (and thru axles). Also shown is the gravel wheels. WTB i23 rims. One issue is the fork is 12mm thru axle and the front hub is 15mm thru axle. Might have to source a different wheel if I can't find converters.

I got the wheels on Saturday, which they shipped loose in a full sized bike box along with some stems and a BB, luckily they weren’t damaged. Frame is coming soon.

For the wheels, I think the end caps should be replaceable to 12mm for the front but I haven’t had a chance to mess with them too much. They look press fit, I think the hubs are Novatec with the Framed branding.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nohearum posted:

I yanked on the end caps a bit but couldn't get them off. Ended up sourcing a cheap 15mm to 12mm converter axle sleeve thing off scamazon that I think will work.

For the best as I found the hub (finally) and it’s a Novatec D041SB-15 and they only ever made 15mm and QR versions of this hub. Uses 6902 bearings if you ever need them.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ddiddles posted:

My hitch rack and bike completely covers my rear license plate it rules my cars registration ran out a year ago.

New York hasn’t sent me a single toll bill ever when I drive there to race bikes :kiddo:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MuadDib Atreides posted:

It doesn't come with pedals so I copped some flat pedals to go with it. I will NOT be blowing money on upgrading components, though they say the tires it comes with are very slow rolling. I will wear them out. I will not be buying 5-10 shoes either. I did cop a new helmet and knee pads, as safety is paramount. Also some gloves.

There is a suspension setup guide with the bike for which I fear I may need to go to the bike store and have them do it. Not sure how they will take that. Ages ago I went with my motobecane and got some guff for having a meme bike. I could also buy a shock pump but I am hesitant to mess around with suspension. If I have the shop tune the suspension to my weight is it basically one and done or is it like tires where it needs to be maintained all the time?

Buy a shock pump, it’s super easy to do and you’ll want to adjust and play with the pressures anyway.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah I’m surprised anyone would go for a QR frame over a dropper. It’s not cost effective to replace a fork and frame to accept TA, and you’re otherwise locked into QR disc wheels, which really limit the options available to you.

A dropper is what, $100? Super easy to install later.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is it? The first post about it was talking about people with limited dexterity

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Guest2553 posted:

Welp! I spontaneously went to do a tubeless upgrade because tires were on sale. LBS left me with the impression my rims were notube ready but they're not.

Is there a relatively economical way to get to tubeless? I have a rockhopper comp which doesn't even have clincher rims. Complete wheelsets seem pricey but so does the labor cost of swapping rims.

What do you mean it doesn’t have clincher rims?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Polish posted:

I just started riding again. My current bike is a 20 year old 60 dollar NEXT from Walmart that was sitting in my buddies parents garage for 17 years before he gave it to me and I made it function. I ride around a hilly neighborhood, some easy dirt trails in the forest, and a gravel flat canal path. Would some 100 dollar bike from amazon be a decent replacement for my needs or should I avoid it at all costs?

Comedy option: I keep shot gunning parts at my current bike until its been completely replaced.

I was thinking something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Ktaxon-Mount...4721&th=1&psc=1

Where are you located and what’s the budget? A $100 new bike is not going to bring you enjoyment because it’ll barely function and you’ll be frustrated at the amount of time you spend getting it to work somewhat decently.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

$2 aliexpress photochromatic glasses remain undefeated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

:same:

bought a handful of them a few years back, still have 3 or 4 unused.

With the latest sale I bought 5 more pairs for $1.65 each. I ruined a pair at a gravel race this year where I was constantly wiping mud off the lenses and they wound up scratched to hell from all the grit