Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Ground floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Probably costs more to do both an aluminum and
Carbon version so if bike companies are feeling production pinches then maybe they may be cutting versions

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Clark Nova posted:

0mm offset: dumb as hell on a road bike

has nothing to do with road bike or not and everything to do with fit of the frame...

Bottom Liner posted:

I love to think there's people out there riding rough enough trails on a gravel bike that they need a dropper post but their 40mm tires are ok.

It me

(not exactly but on really steep stuff getting back and low feels like it would be far better than having bigger tires)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

mountain bikes are good

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

bike pic cross post

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ugh I need to do a skills class

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

e.pilot posted:

I moved to Northern California from Colorado and the things they call mountains and high altitude are downright adorable.

“Tahoe is so high up!” at 6200ft :allears:

Ignoring whether or not you can MTB those areas, CA mountains are legit, there's plenty of high altitude peaks and wilderness :shrug:

e: I mean if nothing else there's Mammoth Mountain bike park that's up close to 11k

Levitate fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 18, 2020

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

As someone who lives where there’s very little legal single track I’d kill for some flow trails or machine built trails to ride on sometimes

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I gots plenty of elevation just few mtb designed trails :(

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

evil_bunnY posted:

2021 5010's won't be in my shop til mid november I'm gonna go crazy

Curiosity, why lean towards a 27.5 bike vs 29er?

Interesting to see how things currently still seem to be trending more and more 29er these days but I can see some specific appeal for a more maneuverable bike in some cases.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Nocheez posted:

Not sure, but I locked out my fork and shock for a paved 50-mile ride and it destroyed me.

This seems less than ideal all around

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

me your dad posted:

What do you all do when you come up fast behind a slower rider? Do you patiently wait for them to notice you and move out of the way or do you say something? Yesterday I felt bad because I was going fast and quickly found myself right behind two slow riders and one of them seemed startled. I think I overestimate the sound my freehub makes and maybe others can't hear it against the sound of their own bikes. I wasn't being a dick or anything and when they scooted over I thanked them and told them to enjoy their ride. I was only behind them for a few seconds.

If the trail allows, in past instances I have said something like, "I'm going to pass on your left once the trail opens up", but this was a very tight trail without much passing opportunity. I'll be honest in saying I was very much in the zone and really wanted to pass these riders quickly to keep my momentum.

As someone who recently got passed by some mountain bikes while on my gravel bike on a downhill fire road, I heard their freehubs but it didn't immediately click to me that it was another bike because there's a lot of random noises sometimes. When I realized it was a bike it kinda startled me for a second.

So...just call out. "Rider!" "Rider back!" "Coming up behind you!" whatever you feel comfortable with.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

spwrozek posted:

Right the oil was fine (except dirty). The grease is the issue. The air can't exchange between the positive and negative chamber. I had so much air stuck in the chamber that I could barely pull our the air spring. It was loud as hell once I finally popped it free.

Yuuuuuuuuup

I did the seals and oil change a week or two ago and when I was done noticed that I had lost like 5mm of travel and my fork was bottoming out much easier. I had to put more air in it than I should have to keep it firmed up. Which was all a result of the over greased air spring trapping air in the negative chamber etc etc so I had to pull it apart yesterday and clean it out. Now the fork feels more normal.

I also got that loud pop when taking it out and it shot grease across the room onto my gravel bike.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I feel like I came real close to crashing today on a trail I ride a lot, just got a bit aggressive kinda shifting the bike for a slight turn, felt the front tire bounce off something and be free in clear in the air and then the side knobs caught it when it came down
If it had slid I’d have hit the ground pretty hard and fast
Probably should tone it down a tad on dumb stuff

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

A barking dog distracted me at the top of a steep little hill and I lost my concentration and fell over into a bush (I wasn’t moving much just approaching the steep part)

Stupid dogs

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Does an Ardent Race appeal? Can’t remember if their tread might roll a bit better

I ran one on the back a bit and it felt pretty fast but we get real loose dry stuff in the summer here and I wanted a bit more traction. Probably would do decent in less loose conditions

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

breaking two levers like that seems like some lovely luck! nice work though

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Partial Octopus posted:

More opinions are always good!

Shop said he can probably get a Ripmo by May but finding Shimano parts is apparently super difficult right now.

Assuming Ibis isn't like SC and already sold all of their 2021 stock to dealers...

I have a new bike coming in 1-2 weeks (not an Ibis) and one big reason I jumped now is that I could get a Shimano setup I wanted on it. I'm not sure sourcing Shimano parts is gonna get any easier until the bike boom eases in a year or whatever

e: my experience with GX RD is that it shifted fine until it didn't and now I'm struggling to get it to acceptable so I can sell the bike. Most of the time it's fine and then it starts screwing up, it's aggravating. I'd rather have the Shimano reliability.
That said if Shimano parts weren't available for a long time I'd still consider going GX if you wanted a bike sooner rather than later

Levitate fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 25, 2021

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think there's some pretty good bike parks near Boise (Eagle, Bogus Basin) but I've mostly just ridden some of the foothill trails near there and they're pretty decent but nothing wild

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

As mentioned if you can get SLX that would save some money and I suspect you wouldn't lose anything you'd notice, SLX is supposed to be real good.

Can they only get Factory stuff or can they get Performance?

Could probably save a chunk with good alloy rims rather than carbon too. I think you get some ride quality improvements like snappier feel, lighter weight, but I dunno that it's like going from skinny shallow alloy road wheels to wide deep light carbon road wheels

e: DT 350 hubs are kind of a benchmark of reliable quality hubs that aren't expensive so I'd probably stick with those

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

probably a sign of a shop struggling

Hoping the shop gets my new bike in this week...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Aphex- posted:

Had a great challenging ride yesterday, tackled a LOT of very steep stuff as well as a few big chutes like this one:

Obviously pictures don't do it justice, but you can see my riding buddy for scale at the top. Looking down on it before dropping in is quite freaky but it's super fun when you do it. Next up will be plucking up the courage to do the drop in with the overhang on the right.

Intellectually I know that really all you have to do is stay balanced and just drop right down it and keep the bike steady and straight, but dammed if it's not freaky when things are that steep

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

new bike is en route to the shop :getin:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

today is officially nbd :toot:

Picking it up in 2 hours

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

snip

Levitate fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 1, 2021

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

only one way to find out

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

bike fits fine XL would be too large

chill ride today with my wife and no real testing of how it handles but it definitely pedals fantastic, interested to see how some steeper and technical stuff goes

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Not a ton of gnarly stuff out here so not sure I’d need it but yeah could be an option

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Better pics

Good poo poo

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mechanical Pencil posted:

Thinkin bout thos bikes:
Nukeproof digger or Canyon Grail?

well neither are mountain bikes but the nukeproof looks cool

e: I also rode a bit of a flow trail for the first time ever today, was fun. Interesting to ride something built for actual bikes and not janky hiking trails like around here

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

evil_bunnY posted:

The SC I ordered is coming next week (fingers crossed etc). gently caress a spesh tbh.

honestly kinda surprised you got a SC that easy, they said like a month ago their 2021 stock was sold out (to stores etc)
you're not in the US though so maybe that changes things?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

gonna take a wild guess you mean 7 year old

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

good luck finding one though, I've been looking for one for my wife

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

mexecan posted:

I’m reading about replacement pads for the stock resin pads it came with. Apparently Deore 6100 is resin pad compatible only though? Thoughts? What causes the limitation here?

I don't think that it's the caliper that's resin pad only, it's the rotor's that are marked as "recommended". If you look at the spec sheet for it on Shimano's site it does have this listed for pads:
https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/product/component/deore-m6100/BR-M6100.html

Pad_Option G04S Metal
Pad_Standard G03S Resin | J03A Resin

But at the top you see "Remarks: * Resin pad compatible only"

however if you keep looking down the sheet there is:

Recommended disc brake rotor SM-RT54* SM-RT56* SM-RT64 SM-RT66

So the * is indicating that those rotors are resin pad only.
Check the rotors it has and see how that goes, otherwise you could just replace them as well.

But beyond that I've heard you can use metal pads with those rotors anyways but they will wear faster, but don't rely on me for that info/assurance

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

bicievino posted:

This is interesting.
I had kinda written all mtb-suspension-related service as something I didn't want to gently caress with learning.
What's the cutoff of easy vs. not worth?

damper rebuilds seem like a pain, same with some of the air spring stuff that requires a blow torch to remove things. But cleaning and changing the oil in the lowers and doing an air can clean and relube isn't bad if you're OK with working on bikes.
Basically have to spend some on materials (the replacement seals, oil for the fork but you'll get enough to do many services with it, and a seal driver) but it will set you up to be able to do more services in the future. So like, $150 for stuff to do the fork and shock but more than half of that is just stuff you'll not have to spend money on again anytime soon?

Then it's just taking something apart and putting it back together, nothing really tricky, lots of youtube videos and stuff on how to do it. Always takes longer than you think it will though.

Granted this is for doing Fox stuff, I'm not sure about RockShock

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

edit: ^^^ awesome

Oh, here's something I found in a bike tech talk about rotors and such:

https://bikerumor.com/2020/12/04/aasq-96-get-your-geek-on-w-brake-rotor-tech-from-hayes-shimano-magura-trp/

Shimano posted:

One thing to note is that we do make some rotors that only work with resin pads. They are entry-level rotors that skip the heat treating step in manufacturing. If you used metal pads with them you would destroy them fairly quickly and make a lot of noise while doing it. These are typically used on bikes with brakes that can only take resin pads anyway, so it’s a great way to save some money for those riders.

The calipers themselves seem to be compatible with metal pads but the rotors probably have the above applicable to them

Levitate fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 1, 2021

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Car Hater posted:

Woof, day four after the second dose of vaccine and I thought I was fully recovered, hit the first big hill in my rode today and it was like my soul left my body, felt like I was going to fall asleep in the saddle

Lighter note, been granted full work from wherever over wfh, planning a grand tour out west (USA only obv, no Whistler :( ). Fully expecting the worst fire season ever until next year, how do y'all out there manage it on ride days with smoke, what are the good resources for air quality forecast?

Riding in smoke is pretty terrible for you so I just do trainer rides then
which is sad

bicievino posted:

Riding when it's smokey isn't just bad for your lungs, it's bad for your eyes, too.
If this summer gets hosed by smoke I'm going to just cry.

I'm just hoping we don't have crazy poo poo like the lightning storms last year that completely hosed us before the real fire season even began

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Suburban Dad posted:

It's always that on my bike. Hopefully the frame isn't hosed up from running too little preload and the bearing slapping against it repeatedly. Hopefully test it out again tomorrow.

You feel any play in it?

I kind of hate the “learn to do it by feel” nature of preloading bearings

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

With lots of carbon parts being clamped etc with bikes it's still probably a good idea to use a torque wrench even if you believe you have good feel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ought ten posted:

Oh that’s a good point, I have not dealt with carbon in any machine

I mean for mtb it's probably like stem clamps on bars, and dropper posts to make sure you don't tighten them too much and impact the function, and I'd probably do pivot bolts as well just to be on the safe side

but like pedals, cassettes, etc, nah