Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Speaking of purple, I’m very upset that Trek didn’t keep the purple and black color scheme on the 2021 Fuel EXs. It makes my new bike decisionmaking that much harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I hit it a few times on the rental bike I had, and it even caused a very low speed crash at one point, but I’m sure both that I could get used to it and that it’s likely my own incompetence as a rider. I’m still likely to get the Fuel EX at some point here.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Nyyen posted:

Pad question. I'm starting to ride in Appalachia again when I visit the folks and know I'm going to be getting some knee pads cause the some of the rocks out there scare the hell out of me. Are elbow pads worth it for non park riding? I haven't ever had a down where my arms really got it but I know it's just a matter of time.

For what it's worth, I recently took a fall on a rock roll-down where I hit something that sliced a huge gash in my arm above my elbow, requiring 7 stitches, and now I can't imagine ever going out on any remotely downhill singletrack without knee pads, elbow pads, an armored shirt/pants, and a full-face helmet. It feels really stupid that I just, basically, let this happen because the chances were so low.

I'm expecting to feel really stupid all armored up for relatively easy trails that I'm not going pro-biker-fast on, especially with most people just wearing shorts and a T-shirt, but whatever.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Spime Wrangler posted:

lol we have a 30+ mile ongoing project that first hit paper in 2005, broke ground in 2014, and we're now two full years into red tape on the fully-funded last phase without even touching dirt. the users will be there when the project gets done, and the project gets done when the project gets done.

I'm sorry you've gotta deal with a bunch of issues, but this is the first I've heard that Phase 3 is fully funded so I'm very excited about that!

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Yes. Certainly less likely than the same thing indoors, but grunting and puffing while shoving a giant piece of wood around a couple feet away from another guy doing the same thing is absolutely a high risk scenario. Exertion -> increased volume and force of respiration + increased respiratory droplet production. Masks should be worn for this.

Yeah, I feel an obligation to go help on the work days since I've been using the trails, but I haven't because of the plague. It's true that we have almost zero cases up here, but we could always be right in the middle of an outbreak and be 1-2 weeks away from realizing it. Plus, there have been a *lot* of tourists up here in the last month, and college students are coming back now... makes me nervous.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
On the topic of heat, I got all of my 7iDP armor in and though it's all really great and I feel safe and happy... I can imagine being very unhappy if the temperatures were high.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I got the Sam Hill knee pads, the Transition elbows, and the Flex Suit (the Flex Short is on backorder). So it’s all the relatively light side of things.

I got the Fox Proframe as suggested, too.

It’s all quite comfortable and relatively breathable, although the spine protector in the Flex Suit gets very sweaty and is the most noticeable nuisance to me.

It’s really not too bad, especially when the temperatures start to dip into the 50s!

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I’ve definitely noticed (as a MTB newb) that my front wheel tends to move off center when I’m pulling the front of the bike up to hit jumps that I don’t otherwise have the speed to do. I’ve had the experience where I almost didn’t get the wheel oriented correctly before hitting the ground and it was very concerning.

I think I’ve also noticed that it happens more when the jumps aren’t perfectly straight so I’ve stopped pulling the bike up for jumps on any amount of curve.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Spime Wrangler posted:

monster berms!

Is this Overflow? It's a great picture.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Whahappen posted:

Everybody should at least entertain a trip up to Copper Harbor, specially if you’re anywhere in the rather flat Midwest. It’s totally different in the UP.

I’ve only done stuff in the Keweenaw but my understanding is that Duluth has a lot of fun trails too.

I’ve also heard that Rock Solid has been building a bunch of trails down in LaCrosse.

Plus Minneapolis has Lebanon Hills and what I hear is a cool system developing downtown in Theodore Wirth Park.

So the Midwest has some good options outside of Michigan (it seems). It feels like it’s a great time to have gotten into biking, as new fun trail systems seem to be cropping up all over.

Now if only this virus would go away so I could go ride them all...

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Also, I’ve looked at videos of particular Whistler trails and thought “It’s just switchbacks over and over again? Seems boring.”

I’m probably wrong about that, but I really do like the variety of corners and elevation changes we have in the UP... and a bunch of that is all machine-built.

It seems like there’s just builders who make boring trails. It’s so great to be in an area where that doesn’t seem to be a problem at all.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

evil_bunnY posted:

2021 5010's won't be in my shop til mid november I'm gonna go crazy

I'm waiting for a Fuel EX 8 arriving hopefully around the same time. There's gonna be snow everywhere by then :smith:

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Spime Wrangler posted:

RIP Bike Mag: https://www.adventure-journal.com/2020/10/bike-powder-snowboarder-and-surfer-magazines-shut-down/

Have some friends that got their start there and I got to work with their Bible of Bikes crew once, they were top notch all around. Now they're off to join dirt rag at the great printing press in the sky.

That sucks! Bike magazine has some of the coolest bike photography and it was the only magazine left in my subscriptions where I still looked at it in magazine format. Everything else I'm just reading articles these days. I was just considering switching to a physical subscription a few days ago!

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I find, exactly like driving on twisty roads, that there are two classes of people going slow: those who are anxious to get out of your way, and those who just don’t care. Less of the latter class with mountain biking, but I use the same technique as driving when I run across them.

If it’s not safe to pass, I just stop for a few minutes to let them get away and clear the fun bits. Repeat as necessary.

Presumably this doesn’t work if it super crowded and it doesn’t help if you were close to PRing a segment and now you can’t, but I would much rather just wait for people to leave than try to engage them.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Yeah, my experience is that almost everyone I meet on the trails are polite and happy to move out of the way (as I am for those faster than me) and I rarely employ my "just wait for a bit" strategy. Most people on the biking trails are there for the same reasons we are; to have fun.

I do wish I had a better strategy for dealing with people walking on DH trails with headphones on, but I expect there's nothing much to be done there beyond "look where you're going" which is good advice anyway :)

edit: vvv I've only ever heard "just me" or "x more" when passing people going the other way.

vote_no fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 21, 2020

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Ropes4u posted:

One more question for the weekend trip planning. Has anyone been to Bentonville Arkansas?

My wife, she is from the south, keeps bringing it up as a trip to link together with a visit to her parents.

I haven’t been, but I’d look for the trails Rock Solid built and do all those :)

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

OctaMurk posted:

I was not able to get that salsa the other day, so for my first foray into Mountain biking I will be getting a Trek Marlin 6 because that is the only mountain bike in stock in my size that I have been able to find. It lacks a lot of the featurea everyone told me I need but hopefully its fun enough to tell me if I like mountain biking a lot or not, and then i can upgrade when the supply chain isnt wrecked from rona

I had a Trek Marlin 5 as my first foray into mountain biking and I thought it was great!

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Every year when new college students show up, I run across someone walking up the DH-only-and-signed-as-such Don't Think (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr-8uYeq260)

Last year, it was someone with over-the-ear headphones on who did not even look up. After that experience I decided to assume nobody can read signs and take it super slow at Tech Trails on any blind corners/rises after August.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

jesus WEP posted:

maybe also don’t drag offsite poo poo into the thread though

I was glad to be informed; I had joined the Discord but didn't spend enough time there to realize it was terrible.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

neato burrito posted:

A Giant Talon 3 has served me very well, it was $550 new 1.5 years ago. I ride it everywhere, streets, concrete, gravel, dirt, rocks, grass, mud.

Similarly, I found the Trek Marlin 5 to be incredibly versatile for a similar price.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Does anyone know if Buffalo Creek (Colorado) is unbearably crowded on the weekends, or if it's still doable?

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

vikingstrike posted:

I'd start early so it's easy to get a place to park. It does get busy, but there's enough space IME for it not to be too bad out on the trail. You'll likely see more people around the trailheads and parking areas before you get out on the trail.

Thanks! I realized I actually do have another day during the week available, so let me amend my question to: if you wanted to do something like Snowmass one day and Buffalo Creek another, which one would you do on the weekend?

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Suburban Dad posted:

Anybody have a good way to store bikes up high in the garage? I have super tall ceilings in the new house's garage and might want to try to free up some space on the floor.

Our house came with a couple bike hoists that are conceptually like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/bicycle-lift-95803.html

It works very well for getting bikes out of the way, but we've been just putting the spares up there because it is a little bit of a hassle getting them up and down.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Nocheez posted:

Has anyone else toned down their riding and the features they ride to try and stay out of the overcrowded ICUs? I know it's not as big of a deal now, but over the summer I had a baby on the way so I did my best to try to take safer lines and not over-extend myself because I didn't want to risk having to go to the ER.

My daughter is still only a month old, so I'll probably not get rowdy until next year.

Absolutely. This is also the first year I didn't have a bad crash, and I'm still having fun so I think I might just stay at this lower level. I'm also finding that pushing it harder on everything that isn't downhill is making things almost as fun -- if you can pedal hard enough on a flowy XC trail, it starts to feel a bit like DH.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

me your dad posted:

I have a two month old Fuel EX 7 with less than 140 miles on it and I brought it in for service after it developed some creaking. They're telling me two bearings have seized and the headset has gotten mud in it. I'm loving dumbfounded. I don't ride in excessively gross conditions and I never power wash my bike.

I'm on the verge of wanting to sell this thing and cut my losses for a more dependable brand.

What bullshit. $150 it's going to cost me to replace bearings after two months.

Interesting, my Fuel EX 8 has developed some creaking as well at around 400 miles. I’ve been ignoring it.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I know it’s an unpopular opinion, but I’m never taking my kids on trails in an attached seat or trailer. If they can’t ride it on their own, they’re not doing it. You can make a mistake anywhere and, even if the likelihood is extremely low, I refuse to allow the possibility of crushing a toddler.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I don’t know, I think if you’re into MTB at all a hardtail is the best choice for one’s only bike.

When I had only a hardtail everything was OK. Commuting was a little slower but whatever, I’d take the car if I didn’t have the time to spare. And on the plus side, I could go anywhere: ATV trails, doubletrack, singletrack. It does everything well enough, and I would find far more limitations with a gravel bike.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

the unabonger posted:

I had a massive crush, ver luckily only got scrapes and bruises. How do I get confidence when riding back?

I’ve found that overdoing it with armor works well. I never regret gearing up ridiculously even for XC. If I’m going fast, I want pads everywhere and a full-face.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

VelociBacon posted:

I don't remember really working on cornering and I'm curious if people in the thread feel that it won't develop naturally with time on the bike?

I'd sooner say practice whatever you really enjoy because that'll get you out on the bike the most and you'll pick up a decent level of skills in the other areas as you ride. It's all important!

I found that to be true generally, although I’ll say that experience in car racing helped a lot with picking lines, knowing when to pedal hard and when to brake, et cetera and I do think a fair amount of that is unintuitive. Slow to go fast and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I highly recommend the Fox Proframe helmet; it’s a comfortable, light, full-face that I don’t mind wearing even for long XC rides.