Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Hi thread, I did my first bike park yesterday and I feel like I've been run over about 40 times. Can't wait to go back! Anybody in socal (lax area) that wants to take a fatgoon out with them?

Here's a picture riding the lift at Summit back down after forgetting my wrist brace at the top before our last run. D'oh.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Boogalo posted:

Haha yeah its so much fun but after my first time I felt like I'd been hit by a train and could barely move for most of a week.

I'm pretty ok today, mainly feel it in my quads, a+ would get pains again though.

VelociBacon posted:

I only really notice it in my hands and forearms, I also take advil as soon as I get back from the park being 37 is great.

I took advil pre and post park, also 37 but also way out of shape!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Boogalo posted:

I just turned 39 :negative:

First weekend recovery was rough but went the next and it was only a couple days of soreness. I'm there nearly every weekend now and am fine the next day unless I was really pushing things. Oddly the first day back after the winter break was pretty fine even though it had been 6 months.

I wish I could go every weekend. It's not even that far, just about a 2hr drive from where I live, but with gas being $7 for premium almost everywhere in LA nowdays the trip alone costs about 55 bucks, not including the lift ticket. I'll probably get a season pass next year if gas calms down by then, I'm chomping at the bit to go again.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Boogalo posted:

It's about 100 miles for me so 90 minutes, but we're also pulling back to every other or every 3 weeks just due to gas too :( . I was looking at hybrids and funnily enough buying something that got great mileage would pay itself off a lot quicker than I thought just from bike park trips. At least my season pass has already paid for itself having also been useful for the last 2 months of last year.

Its also getting too hot to swelter on the lift in the sun 15 minutes at a time all day so getting choosier on outings just for that.

I'm just waiting for the hybrid/electric tacoma. I love my WRX don't get me wrong but as soon as they announce that it's good bye premium gas prices. What's your park of choice?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Boogalo posted:

Bryce in northwestern VA and I am also slummin in a WRX :hf: though I'm not getting rid of it ever. Snowshoe is closeby but I don't want to go until I feel like I can make a weekend of it and ride 2 days in a row.

Found out after that weekend the truck I parked next to was also a goon's. Lots in the northern VA area but we never manage to hook up.

This is my fourth WRX, I absolutely love the things, and subaru as a whole. It gets decent enough mileage to keep it, but I also enjoy fishing, and other dirty sports so I figure it's time to get something that I won't have to worry about with a bed getting dirty instead of the interior.

#justsubaruthings

PolishPandaBear posted:

Hey, I'm on the west side and usually ride around Sullivan/Mandeville since I can ride my bike there from my apartment, if you ever want a riding buddy. I'm slow and not very good though.

I definitely feel the gas prices. I had a WRX wagon up until last fall when my GF and I got a Crosstrek. Still not great with gas mileage, but not having the premium tax definitely helps. I was about to buy a hitch adapter since I already have a 1up so I could check out trails further away more easily, but maybe I should hold off.

I feel the age too. I only turned 30 this year, but I've always had bad knees and can feel them needing more recovery.

I am also slow and not very good, perfect! Only been riding outside of teenagehood for about 6 months. I tend to ride in PV since I'm down in the south bay, usually we hike a bike :goonsay: up to malaga dunes for the jumps there. And yeah, the premium tax sucks. It's not all that much, 20 cents or whatever per gallon but that poo poo does add up. For the WRX hitch, I bought it from etrailer.com for just about 150 bucks, took a dremel and about 2 hours to install in the driveway. Even if I were only keeping the car for another year I don't regret the purchase, was cheap enough to not worry about losing that money if I sell the car sooner than later.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

PolishPandaBear posted:

Nice, I've been riding for long enough that I should be decent, but it's hard to split time between road and mountain biking. I know about Portuguese Bend, but I didn't know there were trails there.

Well, the hitch adapter is ordered. I'll have to head over when it's installed. The trails I usually ride have been incredibly hot and it'd be nice to check out something cooler. I'll send you a PM.

There's a ton of trails up in PV proper, malaga is like borderline PV/torrance and it's mainly jumpy stuff and lots of sand, couple quick singletracks but that's it. Grats on the hitch setup too, you'll enjoy it!

Also, anybody that may know.. post-summit bike park, my hub sounds somewhat weird. When I'm walking the bike, the hub sounds like it's alternating sounds. It goes tik tik tik tik tok tok tok tok tok tik tik tik tik.. almost as if it sounds like a normal hub for half of the rotation, then suddenly sounds like an expensive hub for half of the rotation, then back to normal. Ideas?

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 1, 2022

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Did a thing! Went to Waterworks in San Clemente, CA and had a blast. Except for the 6 or so gigachad teens with no helmets and electric motorcycles (not ebikes, no pedals) tearing the everliving gently caress out of the jumps and trails by doing burnouts, skids and just tossing rocks/dust everywhere.

I'm not against ebikes or anything, but leave your full on motorcycles at home for multi-use trails (hike, bike, horse, no dogs allowed) and wear a helmet folks.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

ethanol posted:

I went outside of my beginner safe zone and did some “easy” to “moderate” blue trails in the white mountains and I want to report to thread my performance level is officially ranked on strava as grandpa. I think it’s going to stay that way for a bit while I lose weight and maybe as long as I want to keep my bones intact. I could definitely argue those trails (some of which were green on trailfork but marked blue irl on the trees ) were misclassified and not easy or moderate but I am also very bad.

It was mainly these really short steep dips and then steep climbs (not jumps) that I didn’t have enough momentum or power to get over. A lot of twisting track around sketchy rocks and roots I was afraid of led into a steep thing. Then a fair amount of head scratching as I wondered “how are you supposed to get up that”

Kinda glad I got a full suspension bike instead of the hard tail, it was doing a whole lot of work

Could definitely use better vision, are there prescription glasses that are particularly budget friendly and good for trail biking?

Firmoo, zenni optical, there's a bunch of other ones. I've used Zenni, and the GF has some from Firmoo, they're well worth the 50 bucks or so for a prescription pair with anti-glare. Expensive enough to have decent quality but cheap enough to not worry about wrecking them outdoors.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

mashed posted:

Are mountain bikers people though? :psyduck:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgE-gu7A7D-/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Buddy sent me this yesterday. :nms: censored shitter :nms:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

mashed posted:

The commitment to not even getting off the trail at all is kinda impressive.

Sometimes you just gotta drop trou and go I guess?

In other news, my buddy and I built a jump today, now I want to start an advocacy group and get some cyclist representation in our city with a bike park :getin:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Nice looking jump but don't forget about drainage at the bottom of the transition, it's easier to dig down like you did but it'll be a mud pit pretty quick and never dry.

This is LA, it doesn't rain, sadly.. there's sprinklers here though, and it looks like there's already channels eroded out where they flow. The dirt here is also I'd say 70% sand as this maybe a mile from the beach, and is pretty crummy actually, but it's fast draining. Hoping that the sprinklers don't just create a bog at the bottom. It's only a couple blocks from my place so I'll come by and maintain it regularly so long as I continue messing around on it!

VelociBacon posted:

That's quite a jump, is that on private land or is it already torn down ?

This is city land, there's a strip between the highway and the first sidestreet, hard to explain kind of, but the image below explains it a bit better. This jump and a couple others were here already but they had been sitting for years without anybody touching them, so my buddy and I just went in, cleaned this one up, rebuilt it and dug out some more runup. You can see in the image below the cursor is where these derelict jumps are, it's a city owned swath of land, I'm actually going to try to put together an advocacy group in town here to see if we can get the city to approve development of this land into a bike park/pumptrack with fundraising to pay for it. The good thing about being in a small town inside of LA (El Segundo is like a weird Pleasantville type, small town everybody knows everybody, town pride, etc, it's very bizarre but also a nice place to live) is that the residents here are very supportive of community developed ideas and projects. There's SOOOOO many parks in town, this is like the last unclaimed patch of soil that isn't owned by Chevron, Hyperion or LAX. It would be perfect for something small but fun. We have rec parks, skateparks, but no cyclist representation so I figured why not, may a well try to build something meaningful here, no?

kazr posted:

Yeah just getting into it. It was priced at $750 which was about my upper limit of what I was expecting to spend.

Any recommendations on a helmet? I have a long head

Funny shaped head crew represent! As mentioned, just try on a ton of them and see what fits. You'll have a much easier time with a half-lid style, but of course a full face will be more protective. I tried on 5 different full face helmets before finally settling on a Specialized Gambit. Prior to that I had a Troy Lee A2 half lid which fit great. A lot of helmets these days have a ratchet type mechanism in the back that allows for some pretty decent adjustability for cases like ours where not everything fits out of the box.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 24, 2022

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Heading to snow summit tomorrow, any goons gonna be there by chance?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

How can I keep my back end from wanting to and/or washing out in berms? The stuff out here in SoCal is mostly loose over hardpack, this weekend was my 2nd time at the bike park and I was riding a little more aggressively than the first. Almost lost the rear a couple times, and lost it completely once but recovered, both while in the apex (I think, by feel?) of the berm. Could it be that I'm entering at a weird angle, and while the front wheel is high on the berm, the back wheel is still in the loose crap at the bottom when I start leaning?

I'm running a Schwalbe Big Betty out back that's a little worn, but I don't think it's horrible, but this is my first set of tires so I have no idea what I'm really looking at from a non-car perspective. I'm also heavy, and new to riding so it could 100% be form related as well.

Poor picture of my tread for reference:

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 31, 2022

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Car Hater posted:

Get some spray adhesive and give your tires a quick coat for extra grip

I'll try that next time, any brand you recommend?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

No sticky spray, got it (/s)

Walrusmaster posted:

Which trails? I was at snow summit a few weeks ago and only had issues with one specific berm. My bike has some pretty mediocre tires on it. Perhaps you were breaking too hard on the back wheel?

Going Green/Turtle specifically, the berm I lost it in was the first hard left on going green after the small downhill roll-in thingy, and turtle was just sloppy and looked to be in some state of disrepair so that could have also contributed.

Car Hater posted:

E; in all seriousness, get off your bike. Next time you find a berm that gives you trouble, or if you know one you can go directly to, stop and session it until you're satisfied with the amount of zen you're achieving through it. Preferably with a friend who can give you tips on your body and bike position. Shout-out to Spime Wrangler and the Copper Harbor Big Boy Clinic for making shredding berms the bike skill I'm best at, my friends all _hate_ being in front of me on wavy S-sections now.

I'm sure there's a spot I could try sessioning at Summit, but I can't think of a spot off the top of my head where I'd want to stop to do so, most of the berm action is in pretty flowy territory and I'd hate to get into somebody's way (another fear of a newish rider).

Eejit posted:

Make sure you're leaning the bike and not steering with the bars. Those big rear end knobs on the side are for cornering and gripping. The more angle you can get, the more traction you're gonna get from those knobs.

Thanks for the tips everyone, will tinker with the form next time I go and hopefully feel better about turning. Speed still scares me a bit, and being a heavy rider I get going fast pretty quickly, it wouldn't surprise me if trail braking into turns is actually braking through turns because of that fear. Leaning isn't really an issue, it's just the confidence on loose that doesn't inspire.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

cubicle gangster posted:

Alright, i'm going to go see the bike tomorrow! i've got my checklist of things to look out for and watched a few videos of someone doing the pre-owned once over, so I can hopefully not get caught out by anything.

Thanks, guys, much appreciated.

Sounds like everyone gave you solid answers already, so if you do end up picking it up, enjoy your new ride! Post some pics!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Are those adjustable bars? What are they if you don't mind my asking, I've got weird wrists and this could potentially be a godsend.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I washed my bike, it's far too hot in socal right now. This is not where my bike lives, it has a nice cozy spot on the wall in the living room.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Aphex- posted:

I just ride Magic Mary Big Betty combo all year every year and the only trouble I have with those tyres is finding them for a good price whenever I need a new set! Performance wise they're perfect.

Same combo here and I love them, I just need to ride better. My next set will be in tanwall though because why not.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Nocheez posted:

FWIW my 1up rack with a 1.25" hitch sways very little, highly recommend the brand every time this discussion comes around. I've got an add-on rack, and the cargo carrier thingie (https://www.1up-usa.com/product/cargo-add-on/) and its come in handy way more than I ever expected.

Using a Thule T2 Pro whatever in 1.25 and drat does it move around a lot. I know nothing is going to fall off but it sure is unsettling watching between 5-8 grand wobble around in the rearview mirror for an hour.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

pinarello dogman posted:

I find if you rock the rack side to side as you tighten it in the hitch it gets a better fit. Mine doesn't noticeably move (same rack).

I did that, I also got one of these to really lock it in:

I think it's in the pivot, which I also took the covers off of and tightened, but it still moves around a lot. It's also on a WRX which doesn't have the worlds softest suspension, so it could just be that it's a rougher ride to begin with. Next time I take it out I'll point my dashcam backwards and get video of it.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Steve French posted:

Oh it was not well executed. But it fortunately ended fine even if the landing wasn’t pretty. I did reposition myself relative to the bike so that I didn’t get a tire wedgie on landing and had some legs to absorb it though

Tire wedgies are the worst.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

School of How posted:

I just received my Fox Racing Launch Pro D3O Mountain Bike Knee Guards in the mail today, and they are too small. I got the large size, but my thighs are just too big and they won't fit. Does anyone know of a quality brand of MTB knee pads that are made in extra large size that can accommodate 18 inch thighs? Also, does anyone here want to buy my Fox knee pads from me? These are $100 on amazon, but I'll sell them to you for $80 Here is a link to them: https://a.co/d/d65ANNs

Where my pads sit on my thigh, I'm at 20.5in (big boy), I've got the POC vpd 2.0 in XL and they fit just fine. Comfortable enough for all day at the park without issues.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Alright, can someone explain the difference in these? I can't find anything other than "for ebikes" and the "ebike" version being way cheaper right now.

https://www.jensonusa.com/iXS-Flow-...NkaAuqlEALw_wcB

https://www.jensonusa.com/iXS-Flow-Evo-Knee-Pads

It's in the description, the ebike one has Qmatter padding, and a certified level-one rating. The non-ebike one has Xmatter padding and does not specify if there's any certification on the armor inside.

Based on how they describe either of those, it sounds like the Qmatter is just a foam and the Xmatter is one of those non-newtonian-ish polymers that gets rigid as it takes a hit to absorb energy.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

For what it's worth I've taken big slams wearing d30 armor and it's been just as good as hard plastic in every situation. I still run hard plastic shin/knee pads because I want to slide if I hit those areas and not have the pads catch and get pulled out of position.

Good to know, not a slam on either tech by any means, just pointing out what I noticed in the descriptions of both pieces there. I think d30 is the first level of the impact hardening stuff, a grade above dense closed cell foam. My POC pads are that weird impact hardening polymer that feels like plastic but is actually not and I really like them. They meet whatever the level 2 requirement is, felt way too beefy when I got them but upon actually wearing them, I see no reason to get the thinner pads (for my scenario), unless you're pedaling all day every ride.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

spwrozek posted:

They are both x-matter on the ixs website though so very confusing. $10 cheaper would make me think they shouldn't be the same though.

I agree, I would do a deeper dive into the Qmatter and see if that level of protection works for your needs. That way if you order them and they're Qmatter after all they'll work, but if they're Xmatter then it's a free upgrade?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah sorry I was only trying to say that I like the stuff.

Same!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Agreed, awesome color, enjoy the new ride!

Went to check out the TREK bike park in Santa Clarita, CA today. The 'hidden' trails that you see on youtube and stuff were like a 45 minute hike a bike (because I'm fat) up to the top of the range, we did one run after checking everything out and then my buddy had to do the doo, so.. we went back down to the bottom :(

The park itself was alright, 4 trails, green, blue, black and red, the black trail being the most fun out of them, and the red having a crazy roll-in that was almost pucker inducing to my still relatively new skillset.

Was fun overall, there's literally 5 pump tracks and no jump line outside the (pro) red trail really which kinda sucked, would have liked to see an intermediate/beginner jump line but we had a good time.

Glamour shot!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I forgot, said I'd get a video of my rack bouncing around next time we rode:

https://imgur.com/a/opiTaFs

Thule T2 Pro XT 1.25" with a hitch wobble preventer and the screw thingy tightened while wiggling the rack.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

You should check these out if you're looking for a good value option.

I almost spit out my drink, I saw the title load "3d printed", thought, oh cool, some printed nylon pulley wheels, I could print some of those as backups-WHAT THE gently caress

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

3D metal printing has come a long way in the last few years.

That pulley is pure showing off but the tech is real.

Oh for sure, the WTF was the price, not the technology

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

mexecan posted:

Life update. Bought a Forbidden Druid and life is grand. Forbidden had a season end sale which made it an easy decision for me. At first I thought the high pivot design was truly hideous but it's growing on me. Arguably a nicer bike than I need but YOLO and it's a Vancouver Island company so happy to support them.

https://www.forbiddenbike.com/products/druid-xt-complete

Serious question, with a high-pivot bike like that, do you have to be cognizant (no pun intended there) of clothing items being pulled into and/or mangled by the chain action more than on any 'regular' bike? Looks sweet!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Horizontal Tree posted:

Going down to a 35mm length stem on that is going to be absurdly short, especially with steeper and twitchier head angles on older hardtails.

I assumed they meant 35mm diameter, vs 31.8 for the actual bar clamp diameter.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Levitate posted:

Your feet will love it your shins will hate you

Don't forget the calves as well!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Blackhawk posted:

Anybody ever have completely off days when mountain biking? Have been to the same local forest three times in the last month, twice I felt pretty sharp and was happy with how I was riding but today I was a total mess. Felt constantly a fraction of a second behind the trail mentally, like my concentration was elsewhere to the point where I'd nearly ride off the trail or come off a jump at completely the wrong angle or something. Early on in the ride I was going down the same easy access trail I've gone down a hundred times and just ran my front wheel completely over the edge of one of the berms. Front wheel washed out and I face-planted into the berm pretty hard, luckily got away with just a skinned nose and a swollen lip from where my teeth punched into it, but it could easily have been worse (e.g. chipped teeth or something). Not sure if it's possible to 'fix' your brain when you're in this kind of state or if it's just a sign to have an easy day and not do anything too fast or new?

Same as above, got to our local jump spot on more than one occasion and didn't even ride, just hung out and tried to be the hypeman my buddy needed to finally clear that double.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Levitate posted:

I’d be fascinated to hear how many aluminum bike frames get recycled l, I feel like it can’t be that many but I don’t really know

Probably with one of those badass grinders you see people feeding absurd stuff to on YouTube. Easy way to chew it into manageable meltable pieces.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Not going to poo poo on that rider but yeah that looks a lot like a bunch of rock rolls at Whistler, definitely rollable because it's less than 90 degrees, just gotta push the bike into that bottom transition so you're not just falling onto the bike as you get to the end.

e: if it's in my area I hereby promise to stand by my words and go hit it and record it and post the results here.

now that's a good :toxx: if I've ever seen one. Godspeed, goon!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Verman posted:

Some people clearly didn't spend enough time as kids building sketchy jumps and seeing how many trash cans they can clear.

+1 if you've fallen into the pit more than once

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Kinda crazy that a $1000 balance bike exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Not sure how long the sale is, but YT is offering 25% off currently.