Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Levitate posted:

Ground floor

Same but only because I can't jump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Last week I moved to a forest which has an absolutely huge network of piste and off-piste trails and today I've finally found some time around unpacking and painting to explore one of the off-piste areas a little bit and I am SUPER excited to do more. Riding from my doorstep absolutely rules and I am very happy about it.

Also upgrading my pike from 150mm to 160mm, solo air to debonair has been such a good decision. It feels like a totally different fork, it's light years better.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

spwrozek posted:

What is an off-piste trail in relation to mountain biking? It is an unmarked trail but it exists (may or may not be considered illegal)?

Yep pretty much. Around here they're not considered illegal, more like unsanctioned and as long as there aren't any ridiculous features then the landowner (forestry commission here) usually just lets them be. If you want to ride them then it's a matter of either going with a local or using Strava's segment explore and heatmap since people don't usually put them on Trailforks.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

spwrozek posted:

When I first got a FS I would lock out the rear but I realized that it was pointless. I just ride it open all the time now.

Yeah I stopped using my lockout mainly because without fail every time I would forget to unlock it for the descents.

Suburban Dad posted:

also if you're not using it for a long time, just throw it in the freezer.

cool bike jamal! It is, however, dying for wacky colors.

I chuck mine in the freezer after every ride because I'm lazy and it's easier than cleaning it out tbh. Seems to work so far!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Absolutely tore my shin up yesterday on a crash, big bloody gash and a trip to the hospital to get it steristripped up so I've just ordered a pair of Endura socks with shin padding. Hopefully they'll help a bit!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Flow rules, tech rules, mtb rules. It's all good.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
So I've got a creak somewhere on my bike that's been annoying me. Cleaned and regreased the BB, cranks, pedals, headset, had the brakes bled and adjusted with new pads, torqued all the bolts and checked the cassette is tightened properly and I think I've finally found what's making the noise. It's my chainring where it's attached to my crank.

And like every other maintenance job it seems, I have to buy a new tool to be able to get the chainring off the crank. It never ends!

Hopefully this will fix the creak though because it's pretty obnoxious.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

VelociBacon posted:

What tool do you think you need to take the chainring off the crank? This is generally just allen keys.

I looked back at your posts, looks like maybe you have the RF Aeffect chainring thing? You use a BB tool on the inside to loosen it off.

Yeah it's a raceface turbine chainring with a cinch bolt design and yep it uses a BB tool to get it out. Since I have a pressfit BB I don't have the tool already and it's just another one I need to buy, was just venting I guess!

In other news my lights have arrived so I'll finally get to start night riding now!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Nocheez posted:

I love ESI extra chunky grips personally.

I did like them when I had them on my bike but they disintegrated quite quickly. I've got a pair of Deity Supracush now and they're really great, comfy and grippy.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

evil_bunnY posted:

This is why it's been all flow trails for me since 'rona started. I aint stepping foot in a med facility unless you loving make me.

Most injuries that happen at bike parks are usually on the blue flow trails!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Those are all good tips in that video, but lol I wish my trails looked that dry in the wet.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I've been using a magic mary up front and a DHR2 rear for the last couple of years in summer and winter in the Welsh valleys and Forest of Dean and they're pretty great for all conditions to be honest. Although saying that I still get taken out by the odd sniper root in the FOD but that's par for the course here really.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Here in the UK mud tyres/winter tyres are pretty much the same thing. Lots of people here tend to change out their tyres in winter for something with a much more aggressive tread pattern to be able to deal with the mud and slop from the rain, for example changing out a DHF for a Shorty. It's less to do with soft compounds and more to do with the tread. Then when the drier weather comes back they change back so the rolling resistance isn't so crap.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Love it when it's below freezing so all that slop and mud that's usually around this time of year is frozen solid.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Top tip for weight weenies - do what I did and lose 15lbs since the start of the year. Just been out on the MTB for the first time in a while (thank you UK winter) and gently caress me I was flying up the climbs. It's like I was on a brand new super light weight bike!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

n8r posted:

Hell yeah 15 lb loss brother. I am shooting for dropping another 10 which would put me around 180.

Nice one! I'm at 180 at the moment but might keep going to 175, it's crazy how much of a difference it's made.

In other news I had an awesome day on the bike on Saturday. The trails were dry for the first time in forever, I felt way more confident and smashed some downhill runs that 6 months ago I would have failed badly at. I do notice that my rear shock (rockshox deluxe RT) has a hard time keeping up now though. To keep myself from wanting to buy a whole new bike, I'm tempted to invest in a coil shock. I've read that my bike's frame (2017 Jeffsy 27.5) is very progressive and is well suited for a coil, especially for the type of riding I've naturally gravitated towards. Has anyone else swapped an air shock for a coil?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

pinarello dogman posted:

If you haven't done an air can service yet, do that before buying a whole new shock.

It's been well maintained and serviced. The performance of it hasn't degraded over time - it's always been like this, it's just that it's not that good of a shock. Especially now that my style of riding has gotten more aggressive and downhill focused.

n8r posted:

Can you do volume spacers? What does a shock that is having a hard time keeping up feel like? Speed up the rebound?

I'm not bottoming out most of the time and it's generally quite progressive without spacers. Over the past 2 years I've had it I've gradually tuned and tweaked the rebound, sag and compression to get it as good as it can go for what I need it for. The shock has a hard time dealing with multiple, successive small hits like over roots or rock gardens or very rutty, droppy trails. Chattery stuff where there's a lot of chunk to deal with. The rear end feels like it gets hung up and almost like it wants to drag the bike back which slows me down. It also struggles to hold traction a lot too on that kind of stuff.

evil_bunnY posted:

It depends on what's shot. Typically it'll lose pressure on the reg, and generally the damping will fade.

Nothing's shot about it, it's that as I've gotten better and more aggressive in my riding, I've started to notice the shortcomings of the shock itself.

From what I've read, a coil shock can address a lot of the issues I've noticed. They're more plush, small bump sensitivity is hugely improved, and they maintain traction much better. They do seem to have downsides like they're heavier, a little less poppy on jumps and they're less easily adjustable. But those are things I'd be happy to live with. I was just wondering if anyone else has experience with them.

Edit: This has also become a lot more apparent since I upgraded the fork from a 150mm solo air to 160mm debonair. It was a night and day difference to how well the fork performed, so it's really just shown that there are better possibilities out there for suspension.

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 16, 2021

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

vikingstrike posted:

Have you checked to make sure your frame can fit a coil with no issues? Sometimes there are fit issues. Sometimes you have to make sure the coil is progressive enough for your frame.

Your description also makes it sound like your rebound might be too slow if its packing up in fast hits.

Yeah the frame can fit one fine and I've been on pinkbike and seen a fair number of others who have the same bike as me fit a coil no problem. Honestly I've tried all sorts of rebound adjustment but it seems like it's just the shock itself.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Had a great challenging ride yesterday, tackled a LOT of very steep stuff as well as a few big chutes like this one:

Obviously pictures don't do it justice, but you can see my riding buddy for scale at the top. Looking down on it before dropping in is quite freaky but it's super fun when you do it. Next up will be plucking up the courage to do the drop in with the overhang on the right.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Oh 100%, it took a couple of run ins to finally do it, such a mental game.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

rockcity posted:

Just ordered a new YT Jeffsy Core 2. Stoked to finally get a mountain bike. Supposedly it’s “in stock” we’ll see how quickly they can actually get it to me.

Nice! I've got a fairly old (2017) jeffsy now and it's been awesome.

I wear bib shorts under by MTB shorts and it's worked well for me, if you have bibs already from road cycling you might as well use them.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The real question is: dropper extended or dropped for pictures?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
After a particularly bloody crash where one of my pedals ripped open my shin and I had to get it steristripped back together I got a pair of these which are pretty nice:

https://www.endurasport.com/c/SingleTrack-Shin-Guard-Sock/p/E1202-Black

They're basically a sock with some thin padding over the front of the ankle and shins. Saved me so far a couple of times from adding to my collection of scars.

And for anyone curious, here's the injury (nws obvs):

Edit: To help a lot more though, practice keeping your heels down and maintaining good body position, then your feet won't fly off the pedals.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

It was warm and sunny today and it feels like springgggggggg.

I feel absolutely great on the bike at the moment, loving it.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I use a combination of trailforks for the more official trails and then strava segment explore and global heatmaps for the more sneaky unofficial ones.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Levitate posted:

well neither are mountain bikes but the nukeproof looks cool

e: I also rode a bit of a flow trail for the first time ever today, was fun. Interesting to ride something built for actual bikes and not janky hiking trails like around here

I mean modern day gravel bikes are pretty much just 90s MTBs.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I use Dakine Covert gloves for summer because they're super minimal and I can't stand gloves with gel. I had a pair of Fox Rangers a while ago but I found them pretty uncomfortable and they tore quite easily. 100% Briskers for winter which are absolutely amazing, really comfy and warm which is great.

No riding for me on the weekend but I did volunteer with my local trail organisation and helped work on a brand new long descent for our area which is great, definitely going to volunteer again as it really makes you appreciate how much effort goes in to making good trails.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Found a slightly exposed trail today, pretty freaky but I got down it!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone have any experience with dropper posts for shorter people? My girlfriend wants to get one for her small Scott Spark but there's not much room in the frame. There's about 170mm insertion depth, and 140mm of post sticking out of the frame at the moment, and I'm just finding it hard to find one that will fit nicely and have some drop. Looking for an external one preferably. The seatpost is 31.6mm diameter as well.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

a foolish pianist posted:

My partner has a brand x ascend in her small frame, and it fits, but barely.

EDIT for an image:

The bend in the seat tube means there's annoyingly little space for the post.

Yeah I've had a look at the Brand X external dropper, with 85mm drop and it might be the best one. I'd have to get some seat shims to reduce the diameter but it should work well.

Bud Manstrong posted:

If an internal dropper can fit, OneUp would be a good choice. Short insertion length and a calculator on their website to let you know exactly what size to get based on how her current post fits.

If an external dropper is the only option, look at the Fox Transfer or PNW Cascade. Those dimensions could be tough though.

I've already used the OneUp calculator and yeah, there just isn't enough space for any of their drops. The insertion depth of their smallest one is 207mm which is still way too much, and they only do internal droppers so not what I'm looking for anyway.

I have also seen a couple of KS droppers that may be decent. Problem is my girlfriend would really rather not spent too much on the dropper, and it's tough to figure out if one will be right unless we just buy it and see. There does seem to be a few potentials though so I'll do some more research on it. Also stock is definitely an issue at the moment frustratingly!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

rockcity posted:

Does anyone wear some kind of shin protection on the trail? I have my legs tattooed and I'd like to avoid gouging them on my pedals if possible. Weather has been cool so I've just been wearing joggers for protection, but when it's shorts time, I'd like something to cover my shins and provide a little protection. I don't know that tall socks are enough, but I'm not looking for bulky shin pads either. I'm picturing some kind of mildly padded sock or sleeve kind of thing. Anyone ride with anything like that?

Yeah after gouging out my shin pretty bad I picked up some of these and they've been good. Seem to be exactly what you're after - a mildly padded sock.

https://www.endurasport.com/singletrack-shin-guard-sock-black/12928783.html

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Sold my Jeffsy today, first time I've sold something so expensive to a stranger but it went smoothly and I got a great price for it (thanks covid).

I was going to keep it for a while and gradually upgrade it, but I've got a new bike on order now from a local company who have given me absolutely incredible service and with bikes actually in stock. This new bike once it arrives very soon (hopefully) is going to be insane. Will be posting NBD pics in here when I've finally got it!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Ropes4u posted:

Can you tell me who has bikes in stock. Been to every shop in town trying to find dad a bike and October looks like the earliest he can get one.

Geometron Bikes. They're not a big brand and are relatively niche and not exactly cheap either, might not suit everyone.

My bike is literally just waiting on a delivery for a saddle and a matchmaker which should have arrived last week, fingers crossed it'll all be assembled this week. Shimano XT too which is crazy given the current circumstances.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
New bike day!!

Geometron G1, EXT Storia shock 175mm travel, Formula Selva R forks 170mm travel. Going downhill has never felt so good.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Took the new bike out for its first proper spin on Saturday. Feels amazing, especially on the steep stuff. There's also a tight, twisty XC trail that's on the way back to my house which I did as well, and I got a PR on it which was 30s faster than my previous time. Goes to show long, low and slack 29ers aren't necessarily bad on that kind of stuff.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Did my first Enduro yesterday, had a load of fun and I didn't come last so that's a win for me!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Was taken round some absolutely amazing steep, offpiste tech in south wales the other day for the solstice. GoPro doesn't do the steepness justice but it felt pretty crazy, especially with a bit of exposure to the side. Can't wait to go back.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

CaptainTofu posted:

What trails was it? So much good ultra steep no flow tech in the valleys.

It was the stuff at Risca. I've been to Cwmcarn loads before but never ventured round to check out the spicier stuff.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

CaptainTofu posted:

Oh nice, those trails are sick. Is Wylie still intact or have they finally started felling all the larch trees? The stuff on that hill is unbelievable.

I haven't checked out Wylie yet, really want to though. That Risca visit was the first time riding outside of FOD for a while!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah my bike came like that too! Shimano XT derailleur and I've only had SRAM before so I just assumed the clutch was activated. The first few rides the chain was making so much noise slapping around and I finally looked up the manual and flipped that switch, now my bike is so nice and quiet.